post #301 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

TJ...in post #247 you left out a picture of the HT2-TL's.

I didn't take a pic of them at the GTG because I already posted a pic of my setup earlier in the thread. I'll add it in for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
thanks tj for putting names to the faces...

brandon (nuance)... man, i believe we have met at one time or another... you look AWFULLY familiar... but i can't place you... sucks getting old...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #303 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Not the same pic but here is similar, Pau Ferro Rosewood....
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php...&topic=93585.0

Here is a better pic of Nuances speakers...
I boldly stated they were the "Angriest LOOKING" speakers at the gtg

And here is a link to Terry's speaker pics... they are very low key in what I like to call a shark skin...
Very subtle but when the light is on them you can see how they really come alive...

Terry do you have the pic that Jim took before they shipped... ?

Smokey Silver Guitar Finish English Fiddleback Sycamore
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post16107985

That what i was think, pauferro. I have seen a few pau ferro finish, and though all of them were very nice, there is this one Jim Salk made thats is the best and it look a bit different, with less of the dark grain. Here is a pic
post #304 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHUB View Post

I didn't take a pic of them at the GTG because I already posted a pic of my setup earlier in the thread. I'll add it in for you.

thanks TJ! It offers a good perspective on the sizes of the speakers.

But you have the grilles on!!

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #305 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

thanks TJ! It offers a good perspective on the sizes of the speakers.

But you have the grilles on!!

You can see them sans grills in some of the pics in the background. But for you, I'll take a new pic tonight without the grills and update the post again. Geez, I can't keep you happy!
post #306 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

You can see them sans grills in some of the pics in the background. But for you, I'll take a new pic tonight without the grills and update the post again. Geez, I can't keep you happy!

LOL!! No worries...just goofing around.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #307 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

thanks tj for putting names to the faces...

brandon (nuance)... man, i believe we have met at one time or another... you look AWFULLY familiar... but i can't place you... sucks getting old...

Could be man, could be. Have you attended RMAF before?

Looks like Warp beat me to the Pau Ferro punch. Thanks bro!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #308 of 1777 Old 04-27-2011, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post

That what i was think, pauferro. I have seen a few pau ferro finish, and though all of them were very nice, there is this one Jim Salk made thats is the best and it look a bit different, with less of the dark grain. Here is a pic

Those really are heavenly. I'll have to save this picture.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #309 of 1777 Old 04-30-2011, 10:17 AM

Liked: 10
Man, the picture of the Salks brought everything to a screeching halt It's like "enough said?"

Those are awsome looking speakers.
post #310 of 1777 Old 04-30-2011, 02:38 PM

TJ, I'm not trying to hijack this thread but since you have a picture showing your electronics I have a question. It looks like you have odyssey stratos mono amps as well as maybe the perseus preamp from Rogue Audio. Is this correct?
Did you add those at the same time and if not what do you feel made the biggest difference in your sound, the monoblock amps (solid state?), the preamp or the speakers and if you say the speakers what was the next biggest addition?
post #311 of 1777 Old 04-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller8b View Post

TJ, I'm not trying to hijack this thread but since you have a picture showing your electronics I have a question. It looks like you have odyssey stratos mono amps as well as maybe the perseus preamp from Rogue Audio. Is this correct?
Did you add those at the same time and if not what do you feel made the biggest difference in your sound, the monoblock amps (solid state?), the preamp or the speakers and if you say the speakers what was the next biggest addition?

At this point I think this thread is dead, so I wouldn't worry about hijacking anything.

You are correct, the preamp is a Rogue Audio Perseus. I formerly had a Parasound 2100 preamp paired with a Parasound 2250 2-channel amp. I was battling what I thought was some sort of distortion or glare in the upper midrange. So I identified a couple of tube preamps to try (a Perseus and a VTL 2.5), and a good deal on a Perseus showed up. It was like it was meant to be. I have not wanted to move on from the Perseus and I like the way the HT-bypass works.

The Perseus added a little dimension to the sound. Not just deeper sound stage per say, but more of a clearer image of layers. However, I still had an upper midrange sound I wasn't fond of even with the preamp change. So I identified a couple of amps to pair with the Perseus (Odyssey Stratos and a McCormack 225). I ran across a great deal on the Odyssey Stratos Extreme SE mono's, and grabbed them up.

This was a big change over the Parasound 2250 amp. The sound was immediately smooth yet seemed more detailed. I noticed a fuller sounding midrange, more midbass punch, and nicely detailed treble. I hate bright, but don't like warm. This mix of gear seems to have taken away any brightness while leaving what I call "obvious" detail. It's detail that you don't have to listen for, it's just there and easy to hear.

This mixed with the right cables has me thinking I can't do much better in my budget range. I know my source is weak, but the sound is really great. I can play anything and find it very enjoyable. I've never had that before.

I personally think you have to have the best speakers you can get to lay the best foundation for a sound system. I'm not sure I could tell you what component would be next most critical, maybe preamp? But it all starts with a decent sourse. I think you need to understand the sound you are looking for, and move towards that goal as best you can. It's the synergy of all the components working together that achieves that special sound. If you change any of the components I have, you take something away from the overall sound.

One thing I can state is that my Salk's have never disappointed me. They seem to have handled every component upgrade I've made by showing me a clear picture of what that component has to offer. I used to find faults with every other speaker I've owned. I just don't seem to do that with the Salk's even after more than 2 years.

I don't know if I've helped you or not. I don't even know if that all makes sense. Ask away if you have any other questions.
post #312 of 1777 Old 04-30-2011, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 500
I can second TJ's thoughts on the Perseus. I had one in my system awhile back and now wished I had never sold it. Although I enjoy the 2100 very much I think having the Perseus with my SongTowers would be a nice upgrade. I bought the Perseus off of Audiogon from a local seller at a great price. I check Audiogon frequently for any Perseus' for sale but I have only seen a few and they sell quickly.

I also agree with TJ in that you should focus on the speakers first before anything else. I stretched my budget when I bought the SongTowers and Song Center. I wanted to go with the ribbon tweeter upgrade but it would of added another $1000.00 to the budget. But I am comfortable with my decision and at this time I have no desire to change speakers.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #313 of 1777 Old 04-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I can second TJ's thoughts on the Perseus. I had one in my system awhile back and now wished I had never sold it. Although I enjoy the 2100 very much I think having the Perseus with my SongTowers would be a nice upgrade. I bought the Perseus off of Audiogon from a local seller at a great price. I check Audiogon frequently for any Perseus' for sale but I have only seen a few and they sell quickly.

Bill

I still owe you a big thanks for the feedback you gave me on the Perseus. I may have not pulled the trigger on it otherwise. I'm not parting with it anytime soon. As a matter of fact, I may send it to Rogue and get the magnum upgrade when I need new tubes. We'll see.

I would also like to say that the 2100 is a great preamp. I think it's very transparent and worth every penny.
post #314 of 1777 Old 04-30-2011, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I still owe you a big thanks for the feedback you gave me on the Perseus. I may have not pulled the trigger on it otherwise. I'm not parting with it anytime soon. As a matter of fact, I may send it to Rogue and get the magnum upgrade when I need new tubes. We'll see.

I would also like to say that the 2100 is a great preamp. I think it's very transparent and worth every penny.

It was my pleasure as I'm happy that you are enjoying the Perseus. I will keep my eyes open and if I find the right deal I will buy another one for sure. I think the Magnum upgrade would definitely be worthwhile. The few times I called Rogue with questions I found the staff to be knowledgable and very helpful.

I agree in that the 2100 is a great preamp for the money. Parasound has hinted that they have some new preamps coming out soon so that should be interesting. I wish there was a pill I could take for my bad case of upgradtis.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #315 of 1777 Old 04-30-2011, 07:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I agree in that the 2100 is a great preamp for the money. Parasound has hinted that they have some new preamps coming out soon so that should be interesting. I wish there was a pill I could take for my bad case of upgradtis.

Bill
From what I've heard Parasound will be releasing a new P2 that will include HT bypass and a subwoofer output. It will be 2(.1) channel only, and will fall in between the Classic 2100 and the Halo P7. If this is true the new P2 will be my next preamp.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #316 of 1777 Old 05-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

I'm highly disappointed that you guys did no comparisons running the speakers full range. I get you guys' reasoning for doing so but highly disagree. They were designed as tower speakers with bottom end extension and y'all neutered them all down to monitors. If you do another please do a fair amount of full range listening comparisons.
post #317 of 1777 Old 05-10-2011, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpon View Post

I'm highly disappointed that you guys did no comparisons running the speakers full range. I get you guys' reasoning for doing so but highly disagree. They were designed as tower speakers with bottom end extension and y'all neutered them all down to monitors. If you do another please do a fair amount of full range listening comparisons.

At the GTG prior to the one at Terry's place, we did run the Salks and Ascend full range on my setup. Did you have some specific questions on how they performed in this regard?
post #318 of 1777 Old 05-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, I don't care how disappointed you are. I for one didn't do it for you, and I certainly won't do it again. Any future GTG at my home will also be for me and my attendee's and not for you. Sorry to disappoint...
post #319 of 1777 Old 05-10-2011, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I believe the guys from WAC'd fully explained their reasons for using a sub at their recent GTG. Maybe you could plan a GTG of your own and have all the speakers you are interested in there at your place. It really does not take much effort or time and is really easy to do.

Maybe you have missed the many posts here on AVS of tower speaker owners that use a sub for both music and HT. I have the SongTowers and use my sub at all times. Its not a crime to do it and my manly STs are far from neutered. Maybe you haven't heard tower speakers with a quality sub that was setup properly. If you ever have the chance you might reconsider your thoughts on using a sub with tower speakers.

Bill

post #320 of 1777 Old 05-10-2011, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I knew this going into the GTG, but you can't please everyone; someone will always complain about your methods and/or the results.

Had we run the speakers full range they all would have peaked in the 30's/40's, thus not giving a real representation of their abilities down low. Listening in that manner would have been completely pointless, with the results being absolutely useless, as the room would have dominated the response and seriously effected what we heard. In short, the speakers wouldn't have sounded or performed how they would under better circumstances at those frequencies. If that still isn't clear...well, I just can't help you. And as Bill mentioned, everyone one of the attendess as the GTG listens to music and movies with our systems crossed over to at least one subwoofer. Since this GTG was for us, not you, we listened the way we wanted to. When you hold your own GTG you can listen in whatever manner you'd like, and you can be sure I won't waste your time whining about your setup and listening methods.

P.S. As merrymaid mentioned, we already did run the speakers full range at the previous get together, and we posted our thoughts on the bass response. Pay attention!

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #321 of 1777 Old 05-10-2011, 05:54 PM

Where in se wi do you guys meet? I'm in Milwaukee...
post #322 of 1777 Old 05-10-2011, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by focal whore View Post

Where in se wi do you guys meet? I'm in Milwaukee...

I live in East Troy, the first GTG was here. Terry's in Manitowoc.
post #323 of 1777 Old 05-10-2011, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I am highly disappointed that you didn't include photo's of the speakers with Booth Babes in them. I read and fully understand your reasoning, but photo's without Booth babes are for neutered men, and as a manly man, I think all future photo's of gear should have the aforementioned Booth Babes as a prerequisite before any posting is allowed. Booth Babes are easy enough to attain, so I m flabbergasted by their omission from an otherwise enjoyable read, and what appears to be a fantastic line-up of speakers. Please see that this deficiency is resolved before any future listening.

Thank you for your time and attention on this serious matter.

Signed,
Guy That Is Never Going To Coordinate A GTG

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #324 of 1777 Old 05-10-2011, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Classic! Ha!

I will bring my wife along next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

I am highly disappointed that you didn't include photo's of the speakers with Booth Babes in them. I read and fully understand your reasoning, but photo's without Booth babes are for neutered men, and as a manly man, I think all future photo's of gear should have the aforementioned Booth Babes as a prerequisite before any posting is allowed. Booth Babes are easy enough to attain, so I m flabbergasted by their omission from an otherwise enjoyable read, and what appears to be a fantastic line-up of speakers. Please see that this deficiency is resolved before any future listening.

Thank you for your time and attention on this serious matter.

Signed,
Guy That Is Never Going To Coordinate A GTG

post #325 of 1777 Old 05-10-2011, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

Classic! Ha!

I will bring my wife along next time

Agreed - its not a true GTG without your wife there.....

I'm sure I could scrounge up some hot looking babes for future adventures...

Perhaps I'll bring this one, serves as double duty !!!
I'm sure she'll more then keep the Bitchin / Wining to minimum....

post #326 of 1777 Old 05-10-2011, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 138
^^^
Now we're talking

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #327 of 1777 Old 05-10-2011, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good stuff Patrick

Tell her she can retire the automatic rifles now, they found Bin Laden
post #328 of 1777 Old 05-10-2011, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 57
....finger off the trigger until ready to fire!

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #329 of 1777 Old 05-10-2011, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post

....finger off the trigger until ready to fire!

RIGHT

Twasn't loaded - just for a nice photo shoot...

Loving that new Bushmaster ACR / EoTech XPS2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_oWg...eature=related

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

Good stuff Patrick

Tell her she can retire the automatic rifles now, they found Bin Laden

LOL - need someone to protect my gear !!!
post #330 of 1777 Old 05-10-2011, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

LOL - need someone to protect my gear !!!

Does she cook too?

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page