SE WI Tower speaker GTG - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 1777 Old 03-31-2011, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 70
my experience is blindfolds don't work too well....when wrapped around your head, it impedes the ears somehow.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1777 Old 03-31-2011, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

I'll come forward and say right now, I don't believe the Ascend's will trump the HT2-TL's. If they do I'll be on the preorder list that same day.

Ha...with them words, a blind test is in order!

-curtis

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #33 of 1777 Old 03-31-2011, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I think it would be a hassle, but if you want to give it a go I'm putting you in charge of it.

I'll come forward and say right now, I don't believe the Ascend's will trump the HT2-TL's. If they do I'll be on the preorder list that same day.

I really don't care either way. After listening to both we can decide if it's worth it.

I dont doubt your assumption either, I just hope the ascends at least give them a good fight!
post #34 of 1777 Old 03-31-2011, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

my experience is blindfolds don't work too well....when wrapped around your head, it impedes the ears somehow.

Suggestions?
post #35 of 1777 Old 03-31-2011, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Ha...with them words, a blind test is in order!

Haha, maybe so. I couldn't help it; "dems fightin' words!" Hehe.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #36 of 1777 Old 03-31-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Last time we used a very large speaker cloth, which was acoustically transparent but visually opaque. It could work again, if only I knew where it got put after we moved... But if we do that we'll have to level match, use identical positioning, etc. I want Brandon and the rest of us to be relaxed and enjoy. However, if the host wants a blind test then he can make it a blind test. I am game for whatever. Just be prepared for the typical "you didn't do this or that, so your results are meaningless" statement. A small group of guys just can't enjoy themselves and share about anymore these days...

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #37 of 1777 Old 03-31-2011, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Last time we used a very large speaker cloth, which was acoustically transparent but visually opaque. It could work again, if only I knew where it got put after we moved... But if we do that we'll have to level match, use identical positioning, etc. I want Brandon and the rest of us to be relaxed and enjoy. However, if the host wants a blind test then he can make it a blind test. I am game for whatever.

I remember that from last time. Now only one other guy besides you and Terry are coming. I say since we are taking measurements etc early on, let's give it a quick try...we have all the tools. If it doesn't work no big deal.
post #38 of 1777 Old 03-31-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Last time we used a very large speaker cloth, which was acoustically transparent but visually opaque. It could work again, if only I knew where it got put after we moved... But if we do that we'll have to level match, use identical positioning, etc. I want Brandon and the rest of us to be relaxed and enjoy. However, if the host wants a blind test then he can make it a blind test. I am game for whatever. Just be prepared for the typical "you didn't do this or that, so your results are meaningless" statement. A small group of guys just can't enjoy themselves and share about anymore these days...

That part is the most important.

But as you know, it is inevitable that people are going to want a comparison. No doubt that you will be listening to high quality speakers, but people are going to ask you what you would do with your money.

As for my suggestion....sit back and enjoy....take your time...listen to a lot of music....make a day out of it. If anything, just level match. Make Brandon (merrymaid) feed you and provide good drinks.

Personally(selfishly?), I have heard the Ascend tower(and Dave has told me that he has made more tweaks since the last prototype I heard) next to a standard SongTower, not blind, but I was hoping for validation of my experience.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #39 of 1777 Old 03-31-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That part is the most important.

But as you know, it is inevitable that people are going to want a comparison. No doubt that you will be listening to high quality speakers, but people are going to ask you what you would do with your money.

As for my suggestion....sit back and enjoy....take your time...listen to a lot of music....make a day out of it. If anything, just level match. Make Brandon (merrymaid) feed you and provide good drinks.

Personally(selfishly?), I have heard the Ascend tower(and Dave has told me that he has made more tweaks since the last prototype I heard) next to a standard SongTower, not blind, but I was hoping for validation of my experience.

That sounds good to me man. Like I said, though, I am down with whatever Brandon wants to do.

Ah yes, but was it the new SongTower, or the old? They changed the woofers which gives a fuller, more realistic lower midrange. If you've got a ribbon version the crossover point is different, so you'll also get that fuller, more realistic presence.

So Dave's main goal was to trump the SongTower? I am not saying that's a bad thing, but it does speak to the quality of Salk speakers. I admit, if I was a speaker engineer I probably would have used my ST RT's as a reference too.

I think one thing is definitive: my opinion and your opinion should probably just be thrown out the window. LOL! Naw, I am just kidding. I think we could both be objective in such a comparison...maybe...well...

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #40 of 1777 Old 03-31-2011, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

I remember that from last time. Now only one other guy besides you and Terry are coming. I say since we are taking measurements etc early on, let's give it a quick try...we have all the tools. If it doesn't work no big deal.

I'll try to locate the speaker cloth.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #41 of 1777 Old 03-31-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That sounds good to me man. Like I said, though, I am down with whatever Brandon wants to do.

Ah yes, but was it the new SongTower, or the old? They changed the woofers which gives a fuller, more realistic lower midrange. If you've got a ribbon version the crossover point is different, so you'll also get that fuller, more realistic presence.

So Dave's main goal was to trump the SongTower? I am not saying that's a bad thing, but it does speak to the quality of Salk speakers. I admit, if I was a speaker engineer I probably would have used my ST RT's as a reference too.

I think one thing is definitive: my opinion and your opinion should probably just be thrown out the window. LOL! Naw, I am just kidding. I think we could both be objective in such a comparison...maybe...well...

To be honest, I don't know if it was a new or old SongTower....I would guess old. When was the change made? The the 3-way design/midrange driver on the Ascend Tower did seem to make a big difference.

I don't think Dave's goal was to trump the SongTower. His goal has always been to offer the best he can. Brandon pushed him to make a floorstander, and Dave went for it.

Objectivity is a tough thing, I always question mine with everything(not just audio)...which is why I was hoping for other opinions be it from Salk owners or not...already have opinions from Ascend owners and few from non-Ascend owners.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #42 of 1777 Old 03-31-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

To be honest, I don't know if it was a new or old SongTower....I would guess old. When was the change made? The the 3-way design/midrange driver on the Ascend Tower did seem to make a big difference.

Umm...you stumped me there. I want to say 6-9 months ago, but I can't be sure.

Quote:

I don't think Dave's goal was to trump the SongTower. His goal has always been to offer the best he can. Brandon pushed him to make a floorstander, and Dave went for it.

I think I'll have to respectfully disagree. Otherwise, why would Dave buy a pair of SongTower's to compare to? I could be way off base, of course...maybe he buys a bunch of competitor's stuff to compare to. That would certainly be a good way of ensuring your product is top notch.

Quote:

Objectivity is a tough thing, I always question mine with everything(not just audio)...which is why I was hoping for other opinions be it from Salk owners or not...already have opinions from Ascend owners and few from non-Ascend owners.

You said it buddy. I will be as objective as I possibly can. It's nice that we'll have at least two non-Ascend or Salk owners in attendance, though.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #43 of 1777 Old 03-31-2011, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think I'll have to respectfully disagree. Otherwise, why would Dave buy a pair of SongTower's to compare to? I could be way off base, of course...maybe he buys a bunch of competitor's stuff to compare to. That would certainly be a good way of ensuring your product is top notch.

It wasn't Dave's or Ascend's SongTower, but he certainly was interested in hearing it, and glad he did.

I've never seen much in the way of competitive product in his warehouse before...maybe 2 or 3 speakers at the most.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #44 of 1777 Old 04-01-2011, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Fair enough.

Tomorrow will be upon us quickly, and I am looking forward to it! Terry and I will be arriving by 10:00 a.m. to help set up and figure out semantics. Thus far I have not been able to find my huge piece of speaker cloth, but there are a few nooks and crannies I haven't checked yet (I will this evening).

Tomorrow is the Salk vs. Ascend vs. Selah shootout - Nice! Here's to hoping Brandon has a nice selection of Ambers and Stouts.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #45 of 1777 Old 04-01-2011, 06:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Don't forget to take pictures.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #46 of 1777 Old 04-01-2011, 07:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:

I would think that Dave does see the SongTower as competition for Ascend products. To be honest I believe that is part of the reason why Ascend now has a Tower speaker (that and Brandon's prodding). I see nothing wrong with that as the SongTowers are a popular floorstanding speaker in the under $2k range. It only makes sense and if the Towers were available earlier last year I might not have bought the STs. Although I am very glad I did.

But either way I'm sure the Tower will be a big hit and now Ascend will have a speaker to directly compete with the STs. Now I wonder if Jim Salk will come out with a SongTower MKII? Let the games begin (we all benefit!). One thing is certain that the service from both Salk and Ascend is among the best I have ever experienced.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #47 of 1777 Old 04-01-2011, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
In the far corner, wearing most any custom finish you would like, sporting (2) woofers and (1) tweeter, hailing from Michigan, the defending champion of the over $4000 a pair tower class..........Saaaaallllllllkkkk Vearcity HT2-TL Towers!

AND.........

In the near corner, dressed in bamboo available in various finishes, sporting a top mounted midrange, a NrT tweeter below that and anchored by (2) 5.25" woofers, hailing from sunny California, the hungry new competitor set to upset the $2,000 a pair tower class.......The Ascennnnnnd Tower!!

Ladies & Gentlemen..........LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!!!!!
post #48 of 1777 Old 04-01-2011, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
considering i am both an salk AND ascend ho', i'm rather disappointed to be missing this...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #49 of 1777 Old 04-01-2011, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You guys will have fun...enjoy!

Who is the designated photographer/videographer? When can we expect updates? And what beers will be served?

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #50 of 1777 Old 04-01-2011, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTDIGITY View Post

In the far corner, wearing most any custom finish you would like, sporting (2) woofers and (1) tweeter, hailing from Michigan, the defending champion of the over $4000 a pair tower class..........Saaaaallllllllkkkk Vearcity HT2-TL Towers!

AND.........

In the near corner, dressed in bamboo available in various finishes, sporting a top mounted midrange, a NrT tweeter below that and anchored by (2) 5.25" woofers, hailing from sunny California, the hungry new competitor set to upset the $2,000 a pair tower class.......The Ascennnnnnd Tower!!

HAHA! I love it! Although, we really need to help Dave pick a better name than the "Ascend Tower." He has a dedicated thread for name suggestions at the Ascend forum. You guys should head over and help him out.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=4512

I must admit I do like the originally recommended name of "Sierra Summit." It just has a nice ring to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

considering i am both an salk AND ascend ho', i'm rather disappointed to be missing this...

I wish you could join us. Come on - just start driving now and you'll make it just in time.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #51 of 1777 Old 04-01-2011, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I wish you could join us. Come on - just start driving now and you'll make it just in time.

believe me, i wish i could too... and if it wasn't still winter on april 1st (will this winter EVER end? ), i might even give it a shot...

maybe next time... good company, good music, good beer and good cheese... it's worth the drive... i've gone to greater lengths for lesser rewards...

plus i can get me a cheesehead while i'm there... i've always wanted one...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #52 of 1777 Old 04-01-2011, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^ haha, too funny. Well, I'll talk to the "boys" about having a summer GTG. That will give us more time to prepare and what not.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #53 of 1777 Old 04-01-2011, 11:13 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

^ haha, too funny. Well, I'll talk to the "boys" about having a summer GTG. That will give us more time to prepare and what not.

I definitely need to keep any eye out if you do decide to organize a summer event. I'm in Chicago, so not too far away, and would love to hear some speakers I otherwise would have to buy (and would be happy to bring my own, although I don't think Paradigm Studio 10s would interest attendees much considering the other speakers present).
post #54 of 1777 Old 04-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

Suggestions?

I suggest using sleep/eye masks to completely blindfold everyone. Those won't get in the way of hearing and ensures the brain keeps its full attention on the ears instead of being distracted with visual distractions. It's the same reason why blind people have better hearing.
post #55 of 1777 Old 04-01-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnatsch517 View Post

I suggest using sleep/eye masks to completely blindfold everyone. Those won't get in the way of hearing and ensures the brain keeps its full attention on the ears instead of being distracted with visual distractions. It's the same reason why blind people have better hearing.

That would work. Good suggestion.

Brandon, it's up to you man.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #56 of 1777 Old 04-01-2011, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

you guys get all this blind controlled testing out of the way on this gtg...

because if i'm gonna haul my sorry butt out of my comfort zone (i start to get itchy when i leave the east coast ), i'm not planning on working too hard once i get there...

still wish i could be there... but at least it was a good day for the home team today, that makes me feel a little better...

- chris

post #57 of 1777 Old 04-01-2011, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Fair enough.

Tomorrow will be upon us quickly, and I am looking forward to it! Terry and I will be arriving by 10:00 a.m. to help set up and figure out semantics. Thus far I have not been able to find my huge piece of speaker cloth, but there are a few nooks and crannies I haven't checked yet (I will this evening).

Tomorrow is the Salk vs. Ascend vs. Selah shootout - Nice! Here's to hoping Brandon has a nice selection of Ambers and Stouts.

Update,
Selahs wont be coming, the guy from Chicago backed out.
post #58 of 1777 Old 04-01-2011, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTDIGITY View Post

AND.........

Love it^^^^^^

Good stuff!
post #59 of 1777 Old 04-01-2011, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You guys will have fun...enjoy!

Who is the designated photographer/videographer? When can we expect updates? And what beers will be served?

I will be taking some pics for everyone although I am no expert. As for food and beverages:
Lots of great microbrews....no miller or Bud in this house
Food - Im going with my BBQ pork and a great baked Brie my wife specializes in. Gotta serve cheese at any WI GTG!
post #60 of 1777 Old 04-01-2011, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

we would have enjoyed your company, maybe this summer as nuance mentioned!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page