SE WI Tower speaker GTG - Page 30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #871 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Isn't this a thread about speakers.... ?!?!?!
I have yet to see any pictures of said speakers ?!?!?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 08:44 AM

Liked: 11
I took pictures of the JTR and Seaton speakers. I am wondering if this thread is going to be the place to post reviews and pics, or if there is going to be a seperate thread dedicated to that?
post #873 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 08:47 AM

I say post away! You can always repost in another thread. But that is just my impatience talking
post #874 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticSoul View Post

I appreciate Jeff's candor and his ability to describe what he heard. For me, everyone's opinion of all the speakers present is important since i am baseing a speaker purchase on these opinions.

I appreciates Jeff's comments too. I think he was very professional about his comments.

I just want to say that I spoke with many of the attendees, and just know that almost everyone had a different take on what they heard. I had speakers I didn't like at all, and those were high on the lists of others. It is just impossible to judge a speaker by other's opinions. I know there where speakers that universally were higher on the lists, but that's a HUGE generalization. The best thing to do is identify the speakers that fit what you want from a speaker, and go audition them.
post #875 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
When are the speaker reviews/impressions going to be posted?
I'm waiting with great anticipation!

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #876 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 08:59 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticsoul View Post

i say post away! You can always repost in another thread. But that is just my impatience talking

+1
post #877 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 08:59 AM

Thanks TJ, you of course are correct. I went to my only local high end B&M and while they still carry some very nice high end electronics they seriously lacked on speakers options. Much to my dismay they made the decision to only carry B&W speakers. I was not impressed. However , since i am mainly interested in HT i think any of these speakers would make me happy. If i get interested in a lot of 2 channel i could always find a place to set my attic system up.
post #878 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Let's hear some reviews or comparisons!
post #879 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by martycool007 View Post

let's hear some reviews or comparisons!

+1

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #880 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:

I say post away! You can always repost in another thread. But that is just my impatience talking

True -pictures can always be placed elsewhere as well. Here are the the pictures that I took of the JTR Triple T12-lp's and the Seaton Catalyst 12C's:

JTR Left Channel with stand:

JTR Right Channel with stand:

JTR Triple T12-lp's together with TV, Terry with his dual subs and his dog:

Seaton Catalyst 12C Left Channel with stand:

Seaton Catalyst 12C Right Channel with stand next to Terry's sub:

Seaton Catalyst's during the demo comparison (if you look closely you can see Mark Seaton's reflection in the TV):

Rear Amplifier for the Catalyst:

post #881 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Best bet is to PM the attendants. It'll be hard in their position to comment at all in public and we shouldn't force them to state their fav speaker (even if the world is waiting).
post #882 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm pretty sure that every time I see a picture with Mark in it, he is wearing that same shirt....

Goodness gracious - those CATALYSTS are GYNORMOUS...
Too PHAT !!! LOL
post #883 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 09:37 AM

Great pics penny! Thanks for posting
post #884 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
pennynike1,

Thank you posting the pictures.

For the speakers with stands that you posted, were they purpose built stands for those speakers or just stands that were available? Thanks.

James
post #885 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

I'm pretty sure that every time I see a picture with Mark in it, he is wearing that same shirt....

Too PHAT !!! LOL

Agreed warp! Makes me wish i would have planned for a dedicated home theater in the home i just built. Sadly those would never work in my living room. They are just too much in your face(or something)
post #886 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 143
How did the Philharmonic's compare to the Ascend Towers's? (not sure if the Ascend Towers were the Nrt or RAAL?) where these Phil's the Phil2's or Phil3's? Any reviews and/or comparisons between the Phil's and Ascend's would be terrific!

Also, in regards to the Seaton's, from the very little I know about them, I was under the impression that these were mostly a speaker for home theater for those folks who like to listen at or close to reference, and that was their niche. I read where someone posted that the Seaton's did very well for music and were the most laid back? Any further comments with regards to the Searon's sound in 2 channel (or ht) duty would be nice.

Glad to hear that everyone enjoyed their selves, too bad their aren't more folks into hifi in the Memphis Tennessee or Jonesboro Arkansas area! I would love to organize something like this!
post #887 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Too PHAT !!! LOL

By Phat, do you mean Pretty High and Tempting

DJoel
post #888 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Guys, please post your reviews and impressions here. Terry, Brandon and I agreed this would be easier for everyone. Brandon will put link to each person's review in the OP.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #889 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Guys, please post your reviews and impressions here.

Let's start with YOURS
post #890 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:

Great pics penny! Thanks for posting

You are very welcome! They were a pleasure to see in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam View Post

pennynike1,

Thank you posting the pictures.

For the speakers with stands that you posted, were they purpose built stands for those speakers or just stands that were available? Thanks.

James

Hi James. The stands for the JTR's and Seatons were each purpose built stands. Jeff advised me that his stands for the Triple 12HT-lp's are approximately $200. Mark advised me that his stands for the Catalyst 12C's were approximately $325.
post #891 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Agreed warp! Makes me wish i would have planned for a dedicated home theater in the home i just built. Sadly those would never work in my living room. They are just too much in your face(or something)

Mark is working on a Skinny Tower that he states will be 99% of what the CAT12c's have in performance...

The Towers will be 11" wide as opposed to 16" wide...
Those are the speakers that I'm waiting for, and will be upgrading to when Mark gets them finished. They will replace my Paradigm Sig S8s. I need more output to keep up with my subs in my huge room.

See this Pic
http://www.seaton-sound.com/mark/Cat...mily-front.jpg
post #892 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Wow...the JTR's and Seatons look great and imposing! Thanks for the pics!

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #893 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

By Phat, do you mean Pretty High and Tempting

DJoel

Right - I was trying to be Ironical....
I have heard the Cat12c's before and walked away liking them, but their stature was daunting for my room...

I will say, when I heard them in a small dedicated closed off HT room a few years back, they were pushing levels upwards of 140db, maybe more... My ears were ringing after that, which is not good - but they did not skip a beat, still sounded very good and still had room to go...
post #894 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 10:36 AM

Well, here is my review of the speakers/event, coming from an audio enthusiast that likes speakers mainly for multi-channel home theater. I seldom listen to music at home, so this should be considered when reading my review. This was also the first GTG like this I have attended.

Special thanks to TJHUB for hosting, to Nuance for the PM's and for making arrangements for these fantastic vendors to attend. A huge thank you to Jeff Permanian and Mark Seaton for taking the extra time to set-up their speakers again after the stereo demos to play some movies. It was fantastic and it was great meeting each of you!

I should note, I had been researching a potential purchase of JTR or Seaton speakers prior to attending this event. I did not know that they would be at the event until a few days prior to it taking place, but I had hoped that they would make an appearance. I was ecstatic to discover that Jeff and Mark were both attending this event with speakers! My focus was placed on their speakers in particular at the event based upon what I have read on the AVS forum, with dreams of setting up a 7.1 or 7.2 system to replace my former M&K Professional set-up (which consisted of 3 MPS-2510P’s, 4 MPS-2525P’s and 1 MPS-5410 subwoofer).

The main demonstration consisted of each speaker playing a list of several songs. I thought each speaker sounded very good in the demonstration, and I found myself utilizing the crescendo in the “Dream On” song as a good point for comparison. I thought that the JTR and Seaton shined at this particular point in the song. I heard the Dream On song first with the JTR’s, and I remember making an involuntary huge smile at the mid-point of the song.

Despite the defective midrange in the SoundScape 10, I was still quite impressed with how it sounded in the demonstration. I had the benefit of being seated on the floor near the right speaker when the SoundScape 10 was playing, and the left speaker was the one with the defective midrange. The right-sided speaker sounded quite clear and effortless.

I would agree with Jeff’s earlier comment about output on the JTR, Seaton and Soundscape 10 as being the three speakers that didn’t seem to show signs of stress. These were my three favorite speakers of the day for 2 channel for song playback. I am sure others may have different opinions about the 2 channel playback, but that is my opinion.

After the GTG for the 2 channel playback, Jeff and Mark were gracious enough to stick around and show off how their speakers sounded alongside Terry’s DIY 18" TC Sounds LMS-Ultra dual sub-woofers. I was impressed with each of their home theater demonstrations, although I didn’t get as much freedom to see material or adjust volume on the JTR’s as I would have liked due to several people also giving input on what they wanted to listen to. That was to be expected and I want to say thanks again to Terry and Jeff for taking time to set-up the JTR's for a 2nd time!

At the end of the day, Terry and Mark set-up the Catalysts for a 2nd time. Thanks again Terry and Mark for their patience and willingness to do this! Mark Seaton, Archaea (Jonathen) and I were seated on the couch and we were stretching the legs out a bit on the Catalysts. After we had essentially “taken over the room,” I had more of an opportunity to hear exactly what I wanted with the Seatons alongside Archaea and Mark due to only having 3 people sitting there as the sun came down. There was a slight intermission where Archea decided to play the live track from Justin Bieber again, but what can you do?

With an increase in volume to -10db, the Catalysts, alongside Terry’s dual subs, shined tremendously in scenes from the movies: Terminator Salvation, U-571, War Of The Worlds, Iron Man 2, Tron, etc. I was literally amazed at how terrific the scenes sounded at below reference level. I had seen the majority of these movies in the theater, and I can honestly say that Terry’s living room with Mark’s Catalysts was a much more dynamic listening experience in these scenes. There were bursts of sound in moments that brought huge smiles to my face!

The Seaton Catalysts are beautiful to behold, and I would give them the edge on the looks department of the speakers in attendance (the size doesn't bother me for the left/right channels). I was impressed with the performance of the JTR and Seaton speakers in the home theater demonstration, although I had more time to listen to the Catalysts after the number of people in the room depleted.

In the end, I had a terrific experience and met some great people at the event. It was an amazing day and I had a blast!

Best, Alex
post #895 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post

You are very welcome! They were a pleasure to see in person

Hi James. The stands for the JTR's and Seatons were each purpose built stands. Jeff advised me that his stands for the Triple 12HT-lp's are approximately $200. Mark advised me that his stands for the Catalyst 12C's were approximately $325.

pennynike1,

Thank you very much for the reply and information.

James
post #896 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
My intentions are to post after the rest of the attendees. I've heard everything prior to the event except a couple speakers, so the opinions of the "new comers" should be given first.

My wife volunteered to start things off if no one has posted by the time we get back from church. We'll create her a forum name when we get home, after we feed the kids and put them down for a nap.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #897 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

My wife volunteered to start things off if no one has posted by the time we get back from church. We'll create her a forum name when we get home, after we feed the kids and put them down for a nap.

That's easy...."Mrs. Nuance"

I really miss when the kids were young and had naps.....I miss nap time.

Looking forward to yours, TJ's, and merrymaid's thoughts on the speakers, especially the stuff not at your previous GTGs.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #898 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
Thanks much to everyone who organized, contributed to and attended this event! I hope in my lifetime to have as much fun with my peers. I appreciate the effort that went into it and the knowledge gained by attendees - lets see those reviews!

The pics are great, the equipment is drool-worthy, and it's good to see a face associated with names. Glad everyone had a good time.

post #899 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 12:21 PM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Got back from our road trip about an hour ago. Late night looking for a hotel with rooms last night(this morning) along I94.

Too bad we didn't know the midrange was damaged on that SS10 we picked up in Milwaukee. When A pair of speakers is in the hands of a reviewer for 8 months anything can happen. Maybe it was over-driven, maybe it was mishandled, who knows. We had no idea of any issues prior to plugging them in for their time in the sun.

Thanks to Archeau for pointing out the bad midrange. Good ears. We hit that one track and I thought it was the woofer, but it was the midrange for sure. On the lighter tracks it did not act up.

Here is my number one lesson learned when you attend these types of events:
What I like, you will not like. What you like, I will not like. Personal preference run amuck! It can be pretty eye-opening to hear a set of speakers and hear a bloated bass or veiled top end, and the very person next to you heard something entirely different. And that's okay.

I had a blast. Terry's room is pretty darned good for a highly used family room. I did not find any speaker there unable to provide good bass in that space. Too much sub though, Terry!!
post #900 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAD View Post

Got back from our road trip about an hour ago. Late night looking for a hotel with rooms last night(this morning) along I94.

Too bad we didn't know the midrange was damaged on that SS10 we picked up in Milwaukee. When A pair of speakers is in the hands of a reviewer for 8 months anything can happen. Maybe it was over-driven, maybe it was mishandled, who knows. We had no idea of any issues prior to plugging them in for their time in the sun.

Thanks to Archeau for pointing out the bad midrange. Good ears. We hit that one track and I thought it was the woofer, but it was the midrange for sure. On the lighter tracks it did not act up.

Here is my number one lesson learned when you attend these types of events:
What I like, you will not like. What you like, I will not like. Personal preference run amuck! It can be pretty eye-opening to hear a set of speakers and hear a bloated bass or veiled top end, and the very person next to you heard something entirely different. And that's okay.

I had a blast. Terry's room is pretty darned good for a highly used family room. I did not find any speaker there unable to provide good bass in that space. Too much sub though, Terry!!

Chalk this one up there with how religion, and politic makes one feel..

Sorry to hear about the mid rage being off on that marvelous speaker the SS10, it never fails to happen every time I'm auditioning a piece of equipment something in the chain seem to go array

Thanks for sharing

Djoel
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page