AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAD View Post

Too much sub though, Terry!!

Who talks like this....? Blasphemy I say....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Who talks like this....? Blasphemy I say....

Yeah... Some people, eh?

For the record, I sat Pete down and forced him to listen to my system with my subs running. I wanted to make him admit he was jealous. Didn't happen...

Pete, you were a blast to talk to. I loved how honest you were with me. I appreciate that more than you know. So I hope you were COMPLETELY honest.
post #903 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Ahhh you never seem to like it when I'm COMPLETELY honest with ya?!?!

What gives toolbag ;-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #904 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 01:05 PM

Great info and review pennynike1 but what can you say about Phil and Sierra ? I'd say this is what interests most "flies on the wall" so to speak!
post #905 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

I would like to point out that you home theater guys are insane. The output of the JTR's and the Catalysts is not for humans. I had to leave the room when they really let things go. You are all going to be deaf!!

There was no way any of the "normal" speakers were going to keep up the JTR's or Seaton Sound's. Mark Seaton thought they were at 115-120db last night. I thought it sounded more like 150db. I was feeling very afraid for my subs. I've seen damaged LMS Ultras (at Warpdrv's house...), so I know it can happen. I certainly didn't have enough sub for those speakers!
post #906 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Ahhh you never seem to like it when I'm COMPLETELY honest with ya?!?!

What gives toolbag ;-)

I don't care what YOU think. And you didn't grace us with your presence this time, so that make YOU the "toolbag!"
post #907 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAD View Post

Here is my number one lesson learned when you attend these types of events:
What I like, you will not like. What you like, I will not like. Personal preference run amuck! It can be pretty eye-opening to hear a set of speakers and hear a bloated bass or veiled top end, and the very person next to you heard something entirely different. And that's okay.

This is why the best testing methods are MUSHRA based using software like I posted. A bit of programming and a RS232 controlled A/B switch and you can use MUSHRA for speaker testing not just CODECS.
post #908 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHUB View Post

I would like to point out that you home theater guys are insane. The output of the JTR's and the Catalysts is not for humans. I had to leave the room when they really let things go. You are all going to be deaf!!

There was no way any of the "normal" speakers were going to keep up the JTR's or Seaton Sound's. Mark Seaton thought they were at 115-120db last night. I thought it sounded more like 150db. I was feeling very afraid for my subs. I've seen damaged LMS Ultras (at Warpdrv's house...), so I know it can happen. I certainly didn't have enough sub for those speakers!

I have friends and family that work in the media biz IE film production and live music events and man...

I hear ya!

I'm always concerned about my nephew blowing his ears out when he plays guitar. We don't need a bloody Eric Clapton.

A lot of musicians in the industry didn't realize they were damaging their hearing and a lot of them have damaged ears. Many many famous artists have hearing damage to various degrees!

I always carry around earplugs...

ALWAYS

A lot of people in audio have hearing damage/loss and they don't even realize it. Between earwax and hearing damage I take most peoples opinions with a grain of salt unless I personally know them and what their hearing is capable of.

PS I was at a Montley Crew concert when I was a teenager that slightly clipped my ears at about 14-15 Khz. I had a test done and they could BARELY detect where I think my hearing on the left ear is SLIGHTLY clipped.
PSS another one to watch out for is teenagers and bloody headphones damaging themselves and not even realizing
post #909 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 01:28 PM

Actually if you want to get into a growing business that much more profitable then get into the hearing aid business not loudspeaker design!!!

There is an entire generation with hearing damage that are just now getting into their 30s that are going to need hearing aids within a decade.

Between car stereos thumping and mp3 players you have quite the market potential!

owhh and don't forget the home theater enthusiasts !
post #910 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHUB View Post

I don't care what YOU think. And you didn't grace us with your presence this time, so that make YOU the "toolbag!"

You can't mask your true love for me!!

I do feel like a toolbag for not being able to make this gtg - I think it may possibly have been the best WAC gtg ever. :-(

post #911 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 02:05 PM

Thanks Solid-State. I think people tend to like what they like. I talked to people that loved all the Salk speakers, others thought that the Soundscape 10's were fantastic (even with the defective midrange) and others who thought that the Seaton or JTR speakers shined.

As you know, the primary comparison was done with just the left and right channels, without a subwoofer. There was a range of music plaid during the speaker comparison. For the most part, all speakers sounded good to me in the mid and high ranges.

On a song like "Boom Boom Pow" by the Black Eyed Peas, however, it seemed to me that several of the speakers (such as the Philharmonic 2, Salk HT2-TL, Ascend Tower) could have benefited from a 12" woofer or an external subwoofer. I can't envison too many people are going to be listeniong to Black Eyed Peas with some of these sleaker styled speakers. I did notice that an external subwoofer could have improved the listening experience of the JTR's during the B.E.P.'s song.

I am not sure if the tall cathedral ceiling in Terry's room had any effect on how things sounded or not. He did have a fairly large living room. In any event, the bass production of the speakers seemed to me to be what seperated some speakers from others at the GTG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid-State View Post

Great info and review pennynike1 but what can you say about Phil and Sierra ? I'd say this is what interests most "flies on the wall" so to speak!

post #912 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
My wife is in the middle of writing her impressions. Yes, they are really hers. She does exist, was in some of the pictures already posted and interacted with many of the GTG attendees. She even shared her opinions with some of them. If you think this is really me posting my impressions you're wrong; they are Laura's thoughts and expressions. I am simply helping her put her thoughts into "audiophile terms" that everyone will understand.

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #913 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post

Thanks Solid-State. I think people tend to like what they like. I talked to people that loved all the Salk speakers, others thought that the Soundscape 10's were fantastic (even with the defective midrange) and others who thought that the Seaton or JTR speakers shined.

As you know, the primary comparison was done with just the left and right channels, without a subwoofer. There was a range of music plaid during the speaker comparison. For the most part, all speakers sounded good to me in the mid and high ranges.

On a song like "Boom Boom Pow" by the Black Eyed Peas, however, it seemed to me that several of the speakers (such as the Philharmonic 2, Salk HT2-TL, Ascend Tower) could have benefited from a 12" woofer or an external subwoofer. I can't envison too many people are going to be listeniong to Black Eyed Peas with some of these sleaker styled speakers. I did notice that an external subwoofer could have improved the listening experience of the JTR's during the B.E.P.'s song.

I am not sure if the tall cathedral ceiling in Terry's room had any effect on how things sounded or not. He did have a fairly large living room. In any event, the bass production of the speakers seemed to me to be what seperated some speakers from others at the GTG.

Again not much mention of the Sierra Tower from Ascend Acoustics.

Darn it seems in testing the only impression people managed to get was regarding bass performance and compression/distortion when pushing 110db plus. This is what always happens when you swap speakers out without a quick A/B switch. Did you guys play the same track on each speaker within a reasonable time frame? At this point I figure it was just swapping speakers every 40 minutes and playing different tracks on each out of sequence. Real shame as it's going to be hard to get a decent idea of the speakers. I do still very much respect and look forward to attendees opinions.

I guess the best person to ask regarding the Sierra Tower would be the person that owns it and brought it to the GTG.

At this point though it looks like the glorified PA guys (no insult intended just facts) revved their engines and impressed people. It's like a car meet where someone brings a Hemi Challenger and another brings a Lotus Exige S and the Hemi guys revs his engine and does a faster quarter mile...

DARN...
post #914 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

"audiophile terms" that everyone will understand.

Oxymoron ;P
post #915 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 02:38 PM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A set was there. A 3-way(?) belonging to another Brandon. They performed pretty well.
post #916 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 02:45 PM

These are my impressions - Brandon told me I had to be "nice" but honest at the same time. I will try my best because I don't want to offend Brandon's friends, but I also don't want to lie. He requested I go in the order that we listened to the speakers, which was by price class starting with the cheapest first. He asked that I mention that the PSB's didn't make it to the get together. All of the guys were very nice to me even though I am a female and a "novice" at this. Terry did a great job as host, and I actually enjoyed the event. When the first pair of speakers fired up it was like watching grown men transformed into little boys opening their first gift on Christmas morning. You could tell these folks really love their speakers.

Philharmonic 2:

My husband made me spend way too much time listening to these before the get together. At our house imaging was good but the vocals were lacking. I felt like they were either pushed way back in the stage or it sounded like they were drowned out by other instruments. My husband says this may have had to do with the open back design. We tried various stuffing configurations and the vocals still sounded recessed. I heard a bass peak and Brandon tried to correct it with REW and filters but it didn't go away. He showed me it was around 100Hz, but the other frequencies measured pretty flat. Moving on to the get together, they still sounded like they had the bass peak. The sound stage was wider, but that is probably because Terry has a bigger and better room. The vocals didn't change and were still quietly in the background compared to everything else. There was no depth and feeling with the vocals, and it sounded more like a studio recording than an intimate setting. I like the tweeter - it doesn't give me a headache. I was unimpressed with the quality of the cabinets. I honestly had a higher expectations because my husband talks up Dennis Murphy who makes the crossovers for Salk speakers. I don't think anything was wrong with the crossover, but I expected the quality of his speaker to match Jim Salk's and it did not. These were my second least favorite speakers.

Salk SongTower:

The second speaker was ours (SongTower's), which I love, of course. Nothing beats them in this price range that I've heard. I liked the bass in ours, although at home we have more bass because we pair them with subwoofers. It wasn't bad bass in Terry's home (actually better than I expected), but small bass drivers can only do so much (so I am told). I liked the tweeter because it didn't give me a headache. I think certain tweeters give women headaches, but ours doesn't. The vocals really come in a grasp you; it's like an intimate setting with the artist right there with you. The instruments are well placed throughout the room. My husband says "you are clearly bias," but I just think they are a super awesome speaker. The cabinetry is just beautiful, especially the high gloss. The SongTower's are tied for second best with Terry's speakers because we use subwoofers at home which makes up for the difference in bass.

Ascend Sierra Tower:

I really liked the slimness of the tower and the look of the high gloss. I was interested in hearing these speakers because they cost the same as our SongTower's and because they were owned by a man with the same name as my husband (nice jeans - haha). The speakers had more midrange presence than the Philharmonic speakers but less than I am used to. It didn't engage me and it was just "there." The bass was good but I would have paired them with subs. The tweeter was brighter than ours but didn't give me a headache. These speakers just felt laid back and were in the middle of the pack, tied with Mark Seaton's for third best.

JTR Tripple 12:

I didn't care for the look of this speaker. These speakers sounded louder than the others even though they were level matched. My husband explained why that is, but I don't know how to explain it; something about them not reaching as low and how that affected the pink noise signal used to level match each speaker. The tweeter was too high pitched with cymbals, and the female vocals were too screechy, like nails on a chalk board. I think women are more sensitive in this region, so I understand why men might like it. I actually left the room during this listening session. I mean no offense to the designer; he seemed nice. With that said, these were my least favorite speaker.

Salk HT2 TL:

I wouldn't say they were much different than ours but obviously there was more bass; they could probably be used without a subwoofer. Perhaps the soundstage was a tad wider - maybe - but very similar to ours (SongTower's). The cabinetry work was done very well and had a nice smoked look to it. These were tied for second place with the SongTower's - I liked them very much.

Seaton Catalyst:

Patrick, you will love these speakers, even if they aren't in your bedroom (haha, you won't be able to ask people to get into your bed and hear them). I didn't care for the looks and the wood was too grainy, even under the black paint. These speakers had very nice bass, something that I appreciate because I like bass (Brandon says more bass than him). You could really feel it, and it was immersive. These speakers also got really loud (Brandon calls it dynamics), but I don't like the tweeter. The cymbals were too edgy again, but not as bad as the JTR's. The vocals were good except in the higher midrange frequency when they could sound too high pitched. The Catalysts would be great speakers for Home Theater. These were tied for third with the Ascend Towers.

Salk SoundScape:

My favorite! The only bad thing I really have to say is I don't care for the shape/look of the cabinetry; looks like a temple. They look better in person than in pictures, though, and grew on me a little. With that said the build quality was excellent and the wood veneer was really cool. The sound was smooth without losing detail; everything flowed, nothing was strained and you could close your eyes and feel like you were right there. It didn't sound like speakers were playing, but instead sounded like the artists and instruments were just there in the room. I know there was a defective midrange driver, but I didn't really notice. The bass was really good and flowed into the midrange, which in turn flowed into the tweeter. Everything was proportionate to what it should be. This is why they were my favorite speakers. We will probably never own them, though, due to their price.

I had fun at the get together, and being there you really notice the affect a room has on a speaker (they sounded different than in our home). I think it is good to know how the speaker you want sounds in your house, but this comparison will at least help you to know if you do like the basic sound of each speaker. Perhaps you'll see me again in the future...perhaps...maybe. Thank you.

post #917 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 02:48 PM

Solid-State, as stated, I paid more attention to the JTR and Seaton speakers. I am looking for big sound, which is not for everyone. I know that there were people there who took detailed notes on each speaker. I will leave it up to them to share their thoughts on the forum.

Quote:

Darn it seems in testing the only impression people managed to get was regarding bass performance and compression/distortion when pushing 110db plus. This is what always happens when you swap speakers out without a quick A/B switch. Did you guys play the same track on each speaker within a reasonable time frame? At this point I figure it was just swapping speakers every 40 minutes and playing different tracks on each out of sequence. Real shame as it's going to be hard to get a decent idea of the speakers. I do still very much respect and look forward to attendees opinions.

I guess the best person to ask regarding the Sierra Tower would be the person that owns it and brought it to the GTG.

At this point though it looks like the glorified PA guys (no insult intended just facts) revved their engines and impressed people. It's like a car meet where someone brings a Hemi Challenger and another brings a Lotus Exige S and the Hemi guys revs his engine and does a faster quarter mile...

DARN...

post #918 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 02:54 PM

Fantastic review Mrs. Nuance! You should freelance!

It's great to read a review that doesn't involve the use of a thesaurus.
post #919 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post

Solid-State, as stated, I paid more attention to the JTR and Seaton speakers. I am looking for big sound, which is not for everyone. I know that there were people there who took detailed notes on each speaker. I will leave it up to them to share their thoughts on the forum.

Thanks for the response pennynike1 and it's great to hear what your ear is after as it will skew review results.

Hey you should really take a look at DIY if you want HUGE SOUND. Here is a post I made to some DIY speakers that are AMAZING.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post21365493
post #920 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Solid-State, plesae stop badgering the attendees; they will post their impressions when they want to, and they will be as specific or non-specific as they care to. Please stop taking this thread off topic. In fact, I'd prefer you didn't post until everyone has shared their experiences. Have patience and stop telling us we should have done this or that, and used this or that. You weren't there, weren't invited and should please just stop. The others will post their impressions when they want to, or maybe they never will, which is their right. I ask that everyone is patient, as it was along day and some of the attendees made a very long drive. I too look forward to everyone's thought but understand it may take time to gather them and put them into print.

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #921 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 02:59 PM

Liked: 24
Great first post mrs nuance!! Glad to hear your honest opinions of the line up. Well done.
post #922 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoeft View Post

Great first post mrs nuance!! Glad to hear your honest opinions of the line up. Well done.

+1. Really enjoyed reading your observations mrs. nuance. Excellently done. I was a bit suprised to hear that you didn't like the look of the Seatons. I bet those cabinets are not cheap to make
post #923 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Nuance View Post

These are my impressions - Brandon told me I had to be "nice" but honest at the same time. I will try my best because I don't want to offend Brandon's friends, but I also don't want to lie. ....snip... Perhaps you'll see me again in the future...perhaps...maybe. Thank you.

That was awesome. A blatantly honest review. Nicely done. Thanks for taking the time to write that Laura.

....and glad to hear you had fun.

->>>≈<<<-

post #924 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:

Philharmonic 2:
...imaging was good but the vocals were lacking. I felt like they were either pushed way back in the stage or it sounded like they were drowned out by other instruments...

Salk SongTower:
...Nothing beats them in this price range that I've heard. The SongTower's are tied for second best with Terry's speakers because we use subwoofers at home which makes up for the difference in bass.

Ascend Sierra Tower:
The speakers had more midrange presence than the Philharmonic speakers but less than I am used to. It didn't engage me and it was just "there." The tweeter was brighter than ours but didn't give me a headache. These speakers just felt laid back and were in the middle of the pack, tied with Mark Seaton's for third best.

JTR Tripple 12:
The tweeter was too high pitched with cymbals, and the female vocals were too screechy, like nails on a chalk board. these were my least favorite speaker.

Salk HT2 TL:
These were tied for second place with the SongTower's - I liked them very much.

Seaton Catalyst:
...I don't like the tweeter. The cymbals were too edgy again, but not as bad as the JTR's. The vocals were good except in the higher midrange frequency when they could sound too high pitched. These were tied for third with the Ascend Towers.

Salk SoundScape:
My favorite! The sound was smooth without losing detail; everything flowed, nothing was strained and you could close your eyes and feel like you were right there. It didn't sound like speakers were playing, but instead sounded like the artists and instruments were just there in the room. I know there was a defective midrange driver, but I didn't really notice. The bass was really good and flowed into the midrange, which in turn flowed into the tweeter. Everything was proportionate to what it should be. This is why they were my favorite speakers.

Pretty much how I thought it would be. Not surprised one bit.
post #925 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Solid-State, plesae stop badgering the attendees; they will post their impressions when they want to, and they will be as specific or non-specific as they care to. Please stop taking this thread off topic. In fact, I'd prefer you didn't post until everyone has shared their experiences. Have patience and stop telling us we should have done this or that, and used this or that. You weren't there, weren't invited and should please just stop. The others will post their impressions when they want to, or maybe they never will, which is their right. I ask that everyone is patient, as it was along day and some of the attendees made a very long drive. I too look forward to everyone's thought but understand it may take time to gather them and put them into print.

I gotta agree with Mr. Nuance here... Funny that I started to post something along the same lines including the word badgering... (though it is Wisconsin we're talkin' about ) Lay off SS, don't be a buzzkill.

->>>≈<<<-

post #926 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuance View Post

solid-state, plesae stop badgering the attendees; they will post their impressions when they want to, and they will be as specific or non-specific as they care to. Please stop taking this thread off topic. In fact, i'd prefer you didn't post until everyone has shared their experiences. Have patience and stop telling us we should have done this or that, and used this or that. You weren't there, weren't invited and should please just stop. The others will post their impressions when they want to, or maybe they never will, which is their right. i ask that everyone is patient, as it was along day and some of the attendees made a very long drive. I too look forward to everyone's thought but understand it may take time to gather them and put them into print.

salute

PS sorry guys and gals I'm just excited to hear your opinions because I really do value them believe it or not!
coilman likes this.
post #927 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 03:12 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

These are my impressions - Brandon told me I had to be "nice" but honest at the same time. I will try my best because I don't want to offend Brandon's friends, but I also don't want to lie. He requested I go in the order that we listened to the speakers, which was by price class starting with the cheapest first. He asked that I mention that the PSB's didn't make it to the get together. All of the guys were very nice to me even though I am a female and a "novice" at this. Terry did a great job as host, and I actually enjoyed the event. When the first pair of speakers fired up it was like watching grown men transformed into little boys opening their first gift on Christmas morning. You could tell these folks really love their speakers.

Philharmonic 2:

My husband made me spend way too much time listening to these before the get together. At our house imaging was good but the vocals were lacking. I felt like they were either pushed way back in the stage or it sounded like they were drowned out by other instruments. My husband says this may have had to do with the open back design. We tried various stuffing configurations and the vocals still sounded recessed. I heard a bass peak and Brandon tried to correct it with REW and filters but it didn't go away. He showed me it was around 100Hz, but the other frequencies measured pretty flat. Moving on to the get together, they still sounded like they had the bass peak. The sound stage was wider, but that is probably because Terry has a bigger and better room. The vocals didn't change and were still quietly in the background compared to everything else. There was no depth and feeling with the vocals, and it sounded more like a studio recording than an intimate setting. I like the tweeter - it doesn't give me a headache. I was unimpressed with the quality of the cabinets. I honestly had a higher expectations because my husband talks up Dennis Murphy who makes the crossovers for Salk speakers. I don't think anything was wrong with the crossover, but I expected the quality of his speaker to match Jim Salk's and it did not. These were my second least favorite speakers.

Salk SongTower:

The second speaker was ours (SongTower's), which I love, of course. Nothing beats them in this price range that I've heard. I liked the bass in ours, although at home we have more bass because we pair them with subwoofers. It wasn't bad bass in Terry's home (actually better than I expected), but small bass drivers can only do so much (so I am told). I liked the tweeter because it didn't give me a headache. I think certain tweeters give women headaches, but ours doesn't. The vocals really come in a grasp you; it's like an intimate setting with the artist right there with you. The instruments are well placed throughout the room. My husband says "you are clearly bias," but I just think they are a super awesome speaker. The cabinetry is just beautiful, especially the high gloss. The SongTower's are tied for second best with Terry's speakers because we use subwoofers at home which makes up for the difference in bass.

Ascend Sierra Tower:

I really liked the slimness of the tower and the look of the high gloss. I was interested in hearing these speakers because they cost the same as our SongTower's and because they were owned by a man with the same name as my husband (nice jeans - haha). The speakers had more midrange presence than the Philharmonic speakers but less than I am used to. It didn't engage me and it was just "there." The bass was good but I would have paired them with subs. The tweeter was brighter than ours but didn't give me a headache. These speakers just felt laid back and were in the middle of the pack, tied with Mark Seaton's for third best.

JTR Tripple 12:

I didn't care for the look of this speaker. These speakers sounded louder than the others even though they were level matched. My husband explained why that is, but I don't know how to explain it; something about them not reaching as low and how that affected the pink noise signal used to level match each speaker. The tweeter was too high pitched with cymbals, and the female vocals were too screechy, like nails on a chalk board. I think women are more sensitive in this region, so I understand why men might like it. I actually left the room during this listening session. I mean no offense to the designer; he seemed nice. With that said, these were my least favorite speaker.

Salk HT2 TL:

I wouldn't say they were much different than ours but obviously there was more bass; they could probably be used without a subwoofer. Perhaps the soundstage was a tad wider - maybe - but very similar to ours (SongTower's). The cabinetry work was done very well and had a nice smoked look to it. These were tied for second place with the SongTower's - I liked them very much.

Seaton Catalyst:

Patrick, you will love these speakers, even if they aren't in your bedroom (haha, you won't be able to ask people to get into your bed and hear them). I didn't care for the looks and the wood was too grainy, even under the black paint. These speakers had very nice bass, something that I appreciate because I like bass (Brandon says more bass than him). You could really feel it, and it was immersive. These speakers also got really loud (Brandon calls it dynamics), but I don't like the tweeter. The cymbals were too edgy again, but not as bad as the JTR's. The vocals were good except in the higher midrange frequency when they could sound too high pitched. The Catalysts would be great speakers for Home Theater. These were tied for third with the Ascend Towers.

Salk SoundScape:

My favorite! The only bad thing I really have to say is I don't care for the shape/look of the cabinetry; looks like a temple. They look better in person than in pictures, though, and grew on me a little. With that said the build quality was excellent and the wood veneer was really cool. The sound was smooth without losing detail; everything flowed, nothing was strained and you could close your eyes and feel like you were right there. It didn't sound like speakers were playing, but instead sounded like the artists and instruments were just there in the room. I know there was a defective midrange driver, but I didn't really notice. The bass was really good and flowed into the midrange, which in turn flowed into the tweeter. Everything was proportionate to what it should be. This is why they were my favorite speakers. We will probably never own them, though, due to their price.

I had fun at the get together, and being there you really notice the affect a room has on a speaker (they sounded different than in our home). I think it is good to know how the speaker you want sounds in your house, but this comparison will at least help you to know if you do like the basic sound of each speaker. Perhaps you'll see me again in the future...perhaps...maybe. Thank you.

Quite simply , this is the best, most honest review I think I've ever read, anytime, anywhere. Thank you, Mrs. Nuance, for your honest appraisal .
post #928 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Mrs Nuance, that is a fantastic review. Thank you for expressing your honest opinion.
I have found most speakers with a high sensitivity to sound as you describe. They may be dynamic but not really to my liking.

I do hope we hear more from you in the future. Brandon is so very fortunate to have a wife with so much knowledge and interest to share with him in his hobby.

Again, GREAT REVIEW.
post #929 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 03:20 PM

Sorry folks - my son (he's not even two yet) somehow posted another response (with some added random letters) I was going to post, so I deleted it with Brandon's help. Let's try that again...

Brandon and I thought it would be fun to add my "official seal of approval" concerning my post; it was added to my "review."

By the way, Brandon says "congrats to our son, who somehow got to the computer and made his first post on AVS before he hit 2-years-old."
post #930 of 1777 Old 04-15-2012, 03:20 PM
PAD
AVS Special Member

Hate to pile on but I think Laura nailed it. I looked at the event as if 5 pairs of stereo speakers and 2 pairs of HT speakers were being demo'd. Since I've owned all the Salk speakers I cannot be unbiased there but Mark really nailed those 12 inch HT speakers. I rated them pretty high because they did some things way better than any others and the score came out pretty high on my sheets. I'd be interested someday in seeing the 8 incher he is working on for us with smaller HT's.
coilman likes this.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page