post #151 of 1777 Old 04-16-2011, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHUB View Post

Yes, unbelievably, we have settled on next Saturday, the 23rd for the GTG. I almost gave up on trying to come up with a date that worked for everyone!

You will have your answer next weekend. Well, maybe answers as it may be. We may not all agree on one winner.

What a process trying to narrow down the date, yikes!
I do appreciate you hosting Terry, I am looking forward to hearing your gear and those tiny little LMS boxes

For those reading this thread, you may not get answers to your question on which speaker is best, keep in mind, it may be what each of us likes most
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1777 Old 04-16-2011, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

What a process trying to narrow down the date, yikes!
I do appreciate you hosting Terry, I am looking forward to hearing your gear and those tiny little LMS boxes

For those reading this thread, you may not get answers to your question on which speaker is best, keep in mind, it may be what each of us likes most

Hey Merry, I agree. Where it may differ a little is in GTG like you guys are going to have. If it's split, say 4 people like A and 3 like B then that would probably come back to preference but if you had 6 say they thought A sounded best and 1 saying he/she liked B then I might think that the person that liked B better just hears things differently than the majority of people. That doesn't mean that B didn't sound better to that person it just means that for a majority of people that A sounds better than B to them.

So B is definately better to the one person and A is better to the other six. If you guys are fairly evenly divided between the ST and the Ascend Towers then I'll still be in the same situation, which one to try first

What I'm hoping is that you guys all say "although both sounded good the consensus is that A (or B) sounded somewhat better as an overall score". That would at least give me a starting point when I re-accumulate enough money to order new speakers
post #153 of 1777 Old 04-16-2011, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller8b View Post

Hey Merry, I agree. Where it may differ a little is in GTG like you guys are going to have. If it's split, say 4 people like A and 3 like B then that would probably come back to preference but if you had 6 say they thought A sounded best and 1 saying he/she liked B then I might think that the person that liked B better just hears things differently than the majority of people. That doesn't mean that B didn't sound better to that person it just means that for a majority of people that A sounds better than B to them.

So B is definately better to the one person and A is better to the other six. If you guys are fairly evenly divided between the ST and the Ascend Towers then I'll still be in the same situation, which one to try first

What I'm hoping is that you guys all say "although both sounded good the consensus is that A (or B) sounded somewhat better as an overall score". That would at least give me a starting point when I re-accumulate enough money to order new speakers

Good points. I'm not sure what Terrys plan is in terms of the format of the listening sessions, usually very casual. I think your comments above are only valid if we listen blind, correct? If not, the listener may already have picked his/her favorite knowing which speakers playing.

Sounds like you have it narrowed down to two awesome Tower speakers. If at all possible don't take my or anyone else's opinion as right/wrong, listen to
both yourself! One thing all of us WI boys will agree upon is that, and also Ascend and Salk speakers sound different from each other. One may or may not fit YOU

Take care,
B
post #154 of 1777 Old 04-16-2011, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 70
What you guys need are non Salk or Ascend owners doing some listening.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #155 of 1777 Old 04-16-2011, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Good points. I'm not sure what Terrys plan is in terms of the format of the listening sessions, usually very casual. I think your comments above are only valid if we listen blind, correct? If not, the listener may already have picked his/her favorite knowing which speakers playing.

Sounds like you have it narrowed down to two awesome Tower speakers. If at all possible don't take my or anyone else's opinion as right/wrong, listen to
both yourself! One thing all of us WI boys will agree upon is that, and also Ascend and Salk speakers sound different from each other. One may or may not fit YOU

Take care,
B

These are the reasons I hesitate doing shootings of this nature. People should never hinge their purchases on others subjective listening sessions.

Don't plan on me giving or posting my thoughts if I end up being able to make this gtg.
post #156 of 1777 Old 04-16-2011, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

What you guys need are non Salk or Ascend owners doing some listening.

Taken care of I spoke with a gentleman today who owns neither brand and will be attending.
post #157 of 1777 Old 04-16-2011, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

These are the reasons I hesitate doing shootings of this nature. People should never hinge their purchases on others subjective listening sessions.

Don't plan on me giving or posting my thoughts if I end up being able to make this gtg.

I agree, listen yourself! What do we know, other than what good beer and cheese tastes like

Patrick, we just hope you can swing by!
post #158 of 1777 Old 04-16-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

We'll see how things pan out with work, if I can make it the Sig S8's will be joining me.
post #159 of 1777 Old 04-16-2011, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 387
[quote=Warpdrv;20314574]
Quote:

Patrick,

I agree that people should listen for themselves and not make speaker purchases based on others impressions. But I do feel that GTGs like the one upcoming for the WI gang are informative and can give an idea of a speakers performance.

Quote:

Why not? I would be very interested in your thoughts of all the speakers that will be at the GTG.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #160 of 1777 Old 04-16-2011, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Bill.....

Those guys have golden sonic bat ears, of which mine just don't measure up to anymore - my work environment in seriously non conducive to great hearing... I'll leave the expertise to the masters, plus they also have better writing skills in conveying their thoughts....
post #161 of 1777 Old 04-16-2011, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hey Bill.....

Those guys have golden sonic bat ears, of which mine just don't measure up to anymore - my work environment in seriously non conducive to great hearing... I'll leave the expertise to the masters, plus they also have better writing skills in conveying their thoughts....

Hey Patrick,

I hear you or maybe I don't. I've been in the railroad industry for over 33 years so I can relate to working in a loud work place. I have been wearing full headphone ear protection when I'm in the field for well over 25 years. The old timers can't understand why I wear hearing protection when they can hear the stereo in my car from a 100' away. I tell them if I'm going to go deaf it will be listening to music not 115db+ noises from locomotives.

I still would be interested in your thoughts of the Salks and Ascends compared to your Sig S8s if you make it to the GTG. I'm not to gifted in conveying my thoughts on things audio either. Usually its a simple "those speakers sounded awesome" type of comments from me.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #162 of 1777 Old 04-16-2011, 08:06 PM

Just wanted to say hi to everyone that's in my area. Didn't realize we had so many wisconsin residents on here.
post #163 of 1777 Old 04-22-2011, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Hi, leroyjr1!

Well folks, tomorrow is the day of the second GTG in SE Wisconsin in the past month. If anyone is interested in attending please don't PM me, as I am not the host and I feel bad about telling people to attend when it isn't at my own home. TJHUB is the host, so please contact him if you're interested. When I strike it rich I'll build a home dedicated to these such things, and everyone will have an open invitation to come by, even the folks that can't stand me.

As of right now I believe we have five people attending, not including TJ. The confirmed speakers in attendance are:

Ascend Towers
Paradigm Sig 8's (the newest revision)
Salk HT2-TL's with LCY ribbon tweeter
Salk SongTower's with LCY ribbon tweeter
Bose Wave radio....................................................... ....................Just kidding.

The GTG will begin at 10:30 a.m. and go until TJHUB kicks us out.

I look forward to tomorrow and to meeting the new attendees, whom neither own any of the brand of speakers at the GTG. I don't know if either are forum members, but I can confidently say that those two gents will be our truly objective listeners.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #164 of 1777 Old 04-22-2011, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looking forward to tomorrow! Dont know if I mentioned it, but I am traveling solo this time around, no wife.

See you boys bright and early

B
post #165 of 1777 Old 04-22-2011, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Bose Wave radio....................................................... ....................Just kidding.

My moneys on the Bose Wave radio. Anyone want to swap a pair of gently driven (only on Sundays) SongTowers for a Bose Wave radio?

Bill

post #166 of 1777 Old 04-22-2011, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

My moneys on the Bose Wave radio. Anyone want to swap a pair of gently driven (only on Sundays) SongTowers for a Bose Wave radio?

Bill

No Acoustimass Module for that "real" deep bass? Terry's dual LMS's would never stand a chance.
post #167 of 1777 Old 04-22-2011, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Gettin' close now. I'm really looking forward to the GTG tomorrow. It should be a fun day.

After talking about it for almost 2 years, Nuance and I will finally have our speakers in the same room. I'm also looking forward to hearing the Ascends and Sig 8's in my room.

See you gents in the morning!
post #168 of 1777 Old 04-22-2011, 05:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No Acoustimass Module for that "real" deep bass? Terry's dual LMS's would never stand a chance.

Man you drive a hard bargain. I'll throw in my Rythmik F12SE for that there Acoustimass Module. I can't wait to calibrate it with my Anti-Mode 8033 and then Audyssey.

Bill

post #169 of 1777 Old 04-23-2011, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looking forward to tomorrow! Dont know if I mentioned it, but I am traveling solo this time around, no wife.

See you boys bright and early

B

Your Wifes not coming...? I'm out...
post #170 of 1777 Old 04-23-2011, 07:28 AM

WHAT? No updates yet
We need updates!

If possible I'd like to see something like each one of your ratings posted today and then you can do details later.

Like:
TJ

Nuance

Merry

etc.
post #171 of 1777 Old 04-23-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Were not here to give you updates, just gettin boozed here !!!
post #172 of 1777 Old 04-23-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Easy there... booze can mess with your hearing
post #173 of 1777 Old 04-23-2011, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

post #174 of 1777 Old 04-23-2011, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Be careful! I might have to come out there and be a designated driver for all those awesome speakers that will be in harms way. I'm looking forward to everyones thoughts and I'm sure you guys are having a great time as well.

Bill

post #175 of 1777 Old 04-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

The GTG has concluded and I finally got my gear all back into place. I want to thank all who attended. Packing up your tower speakers and taking them to someone else's home out of town is not fun, nor easy. It was really great to have all the speakers here though, and I appreciated the opportunity to hear them all!

I need to spend some time with the family, but I'll post my thoughts later tonight or tomorrow. For now, just know all of the speakers performed very well. I honestly think my front end electronics favored no speaker. I guess we'll see what the other guys thought of that.

Oh yeah, the Bose was taken out of the running right away as it just didn't seem fair for the other speakers in attendance. So we won't be commenting on the Bose at all.
post #176 of 1777 Old 04-23-2011, 05:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHUB View Post
Oh yeah, the Bose was taken out of the running right away as it just didn't seem fair for the other speakers in attendance. So we won't be commenting on the Bose at all.
I knew that would happen. I just back from the mall where I traded my SongTowers for the newest Wave Radio. The salesman tried to hide his excitement but I know I got the better deal. I can't wait to set her up with my trusty SPL meter. I can't wait for the next GTG, man are the guys going to be impressed!

Bill

post #177 of 1777 Old 04-23-2011, 07:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Bill, you crack me up buddy; too funny!

A few quick notes about the GTG, then I go back to watching the Brewer game in extra innings with my wife.

1) Brandon brought his Squeezebox Touch with him to compare to the Duet. In short, we discovered the Touch to be part of the original problem concerning the sound quality in Brandon's listening room (at the previous GTG). At the risk of being flamed, the analog outs on the SB Touch are absolute rubbish, and this is the manner in which we listened to music at the last GTG at MerryMaid's house. While his room acoustics probably added to the sound issues, the analog outs of the Touch play a large roll in what we heard IMO. The sound is flat, lifeless and dull. It doesn't engage you in any manner and sounds 1-dimensional. Switching to the coax or optical digital ouputs and running them through an external DAC made the Touch sound like a completely different animal, in a good way. I highly recommend NOT using the analog outputs of the SB Touch, as they are just trash. This is my opinion (and others, as you'll soon learn), of course. So with that said, I make my second point...

2) The new Ascend Towers sounded like a completely different speaker in the new listening room at the GTG today. There was no glare, no echoy sound and zero harshness. Needless to say, the combination of the analog outs on the SB Touch and the previous listening room acoustics were the cause of said issues we heard earlier this month. The speakers played no part in these anomalies. I say again, we heard none of those issues today, and the Ascend Towers are an awesome speaker for the money if I do say so myself.

3) Finally, no one left the GTG willing to part with their own speakers (unless we could have traded up for the Salk HT2-TL's), and there was no bad speaker in attendance today. One gentlemen left a future SongTower RT owner, and another is still deciding which speaker to buy; these were the two non Ascend/Salk owners.

Many thanks to Terry and his wife for showing us a great time and treating us like family. We had a great time and look forward to the next chapter of the WAC (Wisconson Audio Club).

More to come later...time to watch my Brewers lose.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #178 of 1777 Old 04-23-2011, 08:46 PM

Either he has an older SB model or his is defective, b/c the new SB Touch has very good analog sound, not even close to rubbish, unless it was his source files.
post #179 of 1777 Old 04-23-2011, 08:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Brandon,

I'm glad to hear you guys got to the bottom of the SQ issues when you had the last GTG at Brandon's house. This might be a big help in an overall improvement in SQ of Brandon's system by going with an external DAC. I'm sure its a big relief as it was not an issue with the Towers after all. It will be a big relief for Dave as well as I'm sure he was wondering what was causing the odd SQ issues you guys were hearing with the Towers. Sometimes the most obvious causes for things like this get easily overlooked. Nice detective work guys!

Bill

post #180 of 1777 Old 04-23-2011, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewel5 View Post

Either he has an older SB model or his is defective, b/c the new SB Touch has very good analog sound, not even close to rubbish, unless it was his source files.

He has a Touch. And I agree, as did EVERYONE listening to the comparison, the Touch's analogs outs are in fact rubbish when compared to something good.

I had a Touch when they first came out, and I sent it back. I think Nuance stated it well, so I won't comment further. Just know that there is a lot better out there than the analog outs of the Touch.

As a note, we were also using a linear power supply with the Touch.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page