Need Some Help With Speaker Choice! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-02-2011, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey people!

I'm looking to get a set of speakers, and I'd appreciate your valuable advice. I used to have an Onkyo 606, Klipsch RF-52s, RC-52, Velodyne DLS-5000R 15" and some decent bookshelves for the rears, and loved that setup. I had to sell that (and the house), and now is the time to rebuy some speakers!

I'm considering:

Klipsch RF-52 Series 2 for the front,s RC-62 for the center, something cheap (under $200) for the sub, and some cheap bookshelves
about 1100-1200 (I'm in Canada)

vs

Polk Monitor 70 for the fronts, CS2 center, a cheap sub like a Polk PSW10, and some cheap bookshelves
about 850

vs

Klipsch RF-82 Series 2... alone (couldn't afford more, would have to wait for the rest of the speakers)
about 1100

or

RF-82 (older one, not series 2), alone as well
about 1000

I think Boston Acoustics 262 is also an option, but I'm not sure its as good as the others.

Having quite a bit of trouble deciding... I have that natural inclination to get something better than I had last time, so the RF-82s certainly interest me, and have great reviews, but I'd have to hold off on the other purchases, especially since the matching center is pretty price at almost $500. On that note, is the RC-62 even matched to the 82, with its 6.5s?

I also have an eye on resale value, and I'm thinking, since the monitor series is being replaced with the tsi series, it might be possible the polks won't hold much value later... whereas Klipsch are super easy to sell.

I'm in a condo now, so a huge 15" sub isn't in the cards at the moment LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-02-2011, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, and as for a receiver, I'm using a Pioneer VSX-520-k. I know, it's really low-end, but its the only one in the budget that supposedly sounds ok and does all the HD formats. They were out of stock on the 820s everywhere!
post #3 of 8 Old 04-02-2011, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just my opinion here... since you mentioned that you "loved" the set up before why not just get the same set up again? * Sorry if this comes across rude, by all means I'm not trying to be or sound like a smart azz... just thought I would ask.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-02-2011, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
If resale is a concern Klipsch is probably the smarter bet. I do recommend you audition them to see if you like them.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-02-2011, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartlesslova View Post

I'm considering: Polk Monitor 70 for the fronts, CS2 center, a cheap sub like a Polk PSW10, and some cheap bookshelves about 850

I also have an eye on resale value, and I'm thinking, since the monitor series is being replaced with the tsi series, it might be possible the polks won't hold much value later... whereas Klipsch are super easy to sell.

I currently run Monitor 70's and CS2, having recently upgraded from M60 fronts. You are correct that they would have little resale value, however since the entire setup can be had for under $500 you could just forget resale and consider it one month's rent. Also avoid the PSW10, as that would be $100 wasted (you'll be sorry). The 505 can be found for $200 and I hear is a much better sub.

Personally I like Klipsch subs, but they are rarely if ever even mentioned here. Otherwise I have no experience with that brand other than knowing that I dislike their use of horns.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #6 of 8 Old 04-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thought I would throw my "2 cents" into the pileas well...

You mentioned you liked the Klipsch speakers as I do as well. Some like horns some hate them, just depends on your prefernace is all. I really do like Klipsch as I was looking into those last year but I felt the budget crunch per say when adding up the total dollars on it. I was steered toward the Bic Accoustech line from a few good people here on AVS as they had mentioned the Accoustech line from Bic as it was half the price for the same sound. I have the Bic Accoustech set up ( front's, center & subs ) as I am quite impressed with it... in fact love it! I do have the Klipsch satellites as surrounds thou.

Just a thought thou since you were looking into a new set up.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-02-2011, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

@skally I'm quite the videophile, but just starting down the audio road, so I'm still developing tastes. The horn thing... well I don't like the overly bright sound from some speakers, and Klipsch are known to be, but overall, I still liked the RF-52s. I could notice the brightness at times, but it didn't bother me enough to dislike the setup overall.

Unfortunately, since I'm in Canada, pricing of speakers is not the same as the US most of the time, so those Bics you recommend will be hard to find and very expensive. E.g. Polk R50s are $99 most places in the States, $499 at Future Shop (Best Buy's sister store).

@RobLee How do you think your 70s compare to the RF-52s? From reviews I found that Klipsch subs were not as good as their speakers, which is why I got that huge Velodyne before.

@ack_bk Yeah, the only thing is I hate dealing with salespeople LOL!

@skally Its not rude at all, I welcome your feedback. It's just that I know I will want to upgrade at some point, it's inevitable. My tastes keep evolving, and I dunno when, but at some point I will upgrade from the RF-52s to something else... I'm thinking now that if I get the RF-52s, I'll want to go to the RF-7s or something, unless I get the 82s, which might hold me over a bit longer.

So overall what do you guys think of the monitor 70s... better/worse than the RF-52s?
post #8 of 8 Old 04-02-2011, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I just got the M70's this week and am still getting to know them. As for subs, as I said I like the two Klipsch models I currently have. Funny that they have little respect, even from Klipsch fans. Beyond that, I know nothing of the Klipsch line, so I defer to others in that regard.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page