post #31 of 46 Old 04-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

lol, thanks for the heads up. It's nice to see a change in post. I personally believe its a good value. Then again. As I said. I wouldn't know.

Perspective - It's what's for dinner .

Warranty? Pfft! Seriously, at $800, screw worries of any warranty. Anyone who knows speakers know this; there are generally only a few things you need worry about concerning age of a speaker...dried out caps in the xover (usually takes 20+yrs), and foam surrounds (can rot between 8-12yrs, depending on the climate/conditions). But even in the latter case, foam surrounds are easy to replace yourself. Only wankers "throw them out" solely because of rotted surrounds. Essentially, there is no good reason why quality speakers won't last you 20-40+ years! Yes, dead serious here. But then, what do I know....I've only made a dozen or so sets...and still have and use the sets I kept from over 20yrs ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 04-04-2011, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

I get what your saying. No warranty and all. Although I'd imagine these things not failing for a long time don't you think?

No they probably would not fail. But do you know how they have been used? Have they been played hard? I don't think the warranty matters too much, but I was trying to give you some perspective towards the seller. The bottomline is that very similar JBL speakers can be found new/refurb from the manufacturer with a full warranty for under $200 for the mains. These are not 7 year old speakers.
post #33 of 46 Old 04-04-2011, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

No they probably would not fail. But do you know how they have been used? Have they been played hard? I don't think the warranty matters too much, but I was trying to give you some perspective towards the seller. The bottomline is that very similar JBL speakers can be found new/refurb from the manufacturer with a full warranty for under $200 for the mains. These are not 7 year old speakers.

Yeah. I get what your saying. For how they have been used. I would say it wasn't bad. Hooked up to an ONKYO 500 Watt receiver. Has only been cranked up one or twice in there life. Has never been maxed out with sound. EVER.
post #34 of 46 Old 04-04-2011, 08:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:

Has only been cranked up one or twice in there life. Has never been maxed out with sound. EVER.

Does this mean, that you know the seller?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #35 of 46 Old 04-05-2011, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd use the damaged woofer and the low used re-sale value as justification to knock the price down, but if the guy/girl won't be reasonable with you, leave it alone. I've never heard the subs in this package, but the other speakers sound good enough - I'm not cringing at $1200, but I'm definitely more comfortable at $700-$800 (basically: why spend $500 more if you don't have to?). To be quite honest, this "tier" of speakers is about where you can get into the whole "law of diminishing returns" debate; I've heard stuff in the $5000-$55,000 range that sounds absolutely marvelous, and other stuff that I wouldn't bother with - preference is king here (in other words more money stops meaning more performance, objectively).
post #36 of 46 Old 04-05-2011, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Does this mean, that you know the seller?

Yup. My entire life. Which is why I know so much about the condition of the speakers lol.
post #37 of 46 Old 04-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I'm a JBL guy.

I wouldn't pay a "friend" more than $700. As a seller I would be looking for about $1,000. I could probably get more parting the kit out.

To the guy that commented about the center looking wimpy, it's because those towers are big. The EC35 is a better center channel than 90% of what is out there, it's a true 3-way center with dual 5.25" woofers in a big enclosure. It is the best speaker in that picture and is a standout from the lineup.

These are much nicer units than the Venue series, which is quite evident if you look at the cab construction and weights compared the Venue series. Modern equivalent is probably the ES series, that has just added that gimmicky (imho) uhf driver. I don't consider them top of the line speakers but they are nonetheless built as well as the higher end offerings you will find at mainstream stores nowadays. Unless some of them were in direct sunlight, they will have many years of service left in them (except the subs see below).

As others have said, the weak link here are the subs, which although they will play fairly loud, are not particularly clean subs and they will be outperformed by even very humble modern units like the $150 BIC F12's. Unfortunately the amplifiers in these subs are not terribly reliable, either. Check for a chirp at power-up and if the auto-on circuit still works. Trouble with either is a warning sign.

If you buy this kit there are also other units from the same line that could be swapped in or used to grow into more channels. E10's are tiny wall mount sats that can work for height or surround back, E50's are a rather large "bookshelf" that just happens to be a very excellent speaker, it is just one of those designs that "works".

All in all, this is a very serviceable speaker kit with lots of life left in it. Just skip or flip the subs.
post #38 of 46 Old 04-05-2011, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slare View Post

I'm a JBL guy.

I wouldn't pay a "friend" more than $700. As a seller I would be looking for about $1,000. I could probably get more parting the kit out.

To the guy that commented about the center looking wimpy, it's because those towers are big. The EC35 is a better center channel than 90% of what is out there, it's a true 3-way center with dual 5.25" woofers in a big enclosure. It is the best speaker in that picture and is a standout from the lineup.

These are much nicer units than the Venue series, which is quite evident if you look at the cab construction and weights compared the Venue series. Modern equivalent is probably the ES series, that has just added that gimmicky (imho) uhf driver. I don't consider them top of the line speakers but they are nonetheless built as well as the higher end offerings you will find at mainstream stores nowadays. Unless some of them were in direct sunlight, they will have many years of service left in them (except the subs see below).

As others have said, the weak link here are the subs, which although they will play fairly loud, are not particularly clean subs and they will be outperformed by even very humble modern units like the $150 BIC F12's. Unfortunately the amplifiers in these subs are not terribly reliable, either. Check for a chirp at power-up and if the auto-on circuit still works. Trouble with either is a warning sign.

If you buy this kit there are also other units from the same line that could be swapped in or used to grow into more channels. E10's are tiny wall mount sats that can work for height or surround back, E50's are a rather large "bookshelf" that just happens to be a very excellent speaker, it is just one of those designs that "works".

All in all, this is a very serviceable speaker kit with lots of life left in it. Just skip or flip the subs.

Honestly, i seem to find the base from the main speakers plenty "boom" enough. I also agree with the center channel speaker. That thing is amazing.
post #39 of 46 Old 04-05-2011, 10:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Honestly, i seem to find the base from the main speakers plenty "boom" enough. I also agree with the center channel speaker. That thing is amazing.

Are you going to make an offer - you seem to like them?

post #40 of 46 Old 04-06-2011, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you going to make an offer - you seem to like them?

Yeah. I plan to. I really like them a lot. I had nothing before so either way this is a huge upgrade. I'm sure other things out there sound better but I've never heard em before. Which would be good for me. Can't miss what I've never seen lol.
post #41 of 46 Old 04-06-2011, 04:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm sure other things out there sound better but I've never heard em before. Which would be good for me. Can't miss what I've never seen lol.

And, maybe save some money.

post #42 of 46 Old 04-06-2011, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And, maybe save some money.

Yeah, well I think in this case I'm saving money. Buying em for 600. Bad deal or not. I'm going for it lol.
post #43 of 46 Old 04-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, well I think in this case I'm saving money. Buying em for 600. Bad deal or not. I'm going for it lol.

IMO, you, my friend, have just scored a great deal. Again, they wouldn't have been my choice if I was out looking....but at $600....you'd almost have to be either A.) Stupid not to buy them for the value they are at that price....or B.) Well off and snobby enough to be able to sneer at the mere thought of them not costing at least $2500 each .

Well done...and enjoy!
post #44 of 46 Old 04-06-2011, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Good deal - you scored big. This is better than what you had.
My real world max, was $700.

post #45 of 46 Old 04-06-2011, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Very well done. At some point you may want to upgrade the subs (see HSU, SVS, Epik, eD, etc) but for now enjoy! Beats the cr@# out of a HTIB solution....
post #46 of 46 Old 04-06-2011, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbx123 View Post

IMO, you, my friend, have just scored a great deal. Again, they wouldn't have been my choice if I was out looking....but at $600....you'd almost have to be either A.) Stupid not to buy them for the value they are at that price....or B.) Well off and snobby enough to be able to sneer at the mere thought of them not costing at least $2500 each .

Well done...and enjoy!

Quote:

Good deal - you scored big. This is better than what you had.
My real world max, was $700.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Very well done. At some point you may want to upgrade the subs (see HSU, SVS, Epik, eD, etc) but for now enjoy! Beats the cr@# out of a HTIB solution....

Thanks to all of you. i do feel like I made a good deal. They sound very nice. They are super loud. I don't think I'll ever use there max power. More bass then I can actually use lol. I think it was a great choice. Thanks for the help.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page