Tron:Legacy Sound Effects, some of best LFE ever - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 236 Old 04-06-2011, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just watched this movie in 3D blu-ray, and wow...just WOW

The movie soundtrack and sound effects are a joyful bless in low frequency effects and surround sound, one of the best DTS-HD tracks I have ever listened to.

A must buy if you want to really show off your surround sound system.

And yeah, I have Pioneer setup and BIC F12 as most people here probably know, and they just shined than ever watching this movie, simply amazing.

Alright, just wanted to share my experience, the Tron Legacy 3D blu was by FAR the best cinematic experience I have ever had at home since I bought my surround sound system and 63" 3D plasma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 236 Old 04-06-2011, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I think a few might damage their systems with this one. It's the first movie I actually had to turn down my subs.
post #3 of 236 Old 04-06-2011, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
On par or better than HTTYD?
post #4 of 236 Old 04-06-2011, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post
On par or better than HTTYD?
I found it better than anything I have ever listened to, including how to train your dragon.

It is not only the amazing LFE, but the sound track is so immersive and has superb quality.

I watched the movie in IMAX 3D, and I had the amazing IMAX sound of this movie in my mind since then and I hoped the blu ray version would be similar, and it actually surpassed my expectations.
post #5 of 236 Old 04-06-2011, 11:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I liked the movie, and plan on buying it on BR this weekend.

I was dissapointed with the above mentioned HTTYD. I felt the characters and plot were a bit weak. Too slow for me in parts early on. Some great scenes in the movie to be sure, so it's not like I hated it.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #6 of 236 Old 04-07-2011, 01:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 67
It was mentioned in last months issue of Sound and Vision Mag that the sound engineer who while attending all the movie premiers around the world took notes only about the sound while everyone else watched the movie. He said he needed to make over 100 changes to the DVD/Bluray audio because he didnt have time to make the needed changes due to the studio rushing the release and he even mentioned that after the world premiers he now had the time and tons of info to make the home audio even better than the audio in the theaters (inlcuding IMAX audio).

I saw this in Phoenix where we have a theaters called CineCapri whose claim to fame is that they have a bigger screen and more power than IMAX. The main CineCapri I go to has over 140 speakers and over 40,000 watts of power. I recall leaving the Capri being very very impressed with the audio, so this week when I have time, I look forward to testing out this movie on my system which many have compared to sounding better than any theater they've been to, but considering my small great room is running 5,200 watts of power with 6 subs (two main drivers and four MBM) I am really looking forward to testing the bass output of this disc.
post #7 of 236 Old 04-07-2011, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Sounds like we need some waterfalls posted!
post #8 of 236 Old 04-07-2011, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I watched the movie last night on blu ray. One thing is for sure this one is mixed hot in the bass department. I was watching it at my normal listening volume that is not reference level, and I had some objects rattle in my room that normally don't rattle often. I have four large subs in my theater. I'm sure that doesnt help.. This movie also has some strong effects in the front mains because in several fly by scenes and in the music scenes the LED meters on my dedicated amplifiers that power my mains where metering indicating that my mains where definitely pulling some power. I also thought the movie was visually impressive with very clean and crisp video and the color hues they used where appealing.
post #9 of 236 Old 04-07-2011, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I haven't yet seen it but plan on picking it up. Besides the great picture and sound, was the movie actually pretty good? I know I'll just be getting opinions, but it helps.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #10 of 236 Old 04-07-2011, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post
I haven't yet seen it but plan on picking it up. Besides the great picture and sound, was the movie actually pretty good? I know I'll just be getting opinions, but it helps.
The movie itself was not that good, but who cares. This disc will be to showoff my future HT
post #11 of 236 Old 04-07-2011, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
visual and audio effects were simply outstanding IMO. A tremendously immersive experience. I let my 6 yr old watch it too, since for once, there was no swearing, sex, etc...thank you Disney. He loved it!

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Music: Yamaha RX-V863 | 2 X Energy RC-70 | MA RXw12 Sub

Bathroom: 2 X Energy Take LCR

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

post #12 of 236 Old 04-07-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ga View Post

Oh, did you mean their is nothing to mask the noise from a ported sub, and this is were sealed subs are clearly better. With a sealed sub the lowend is tighter and better controled, with none of that "ported sub that tend to make up its own remix of the LFE sound track effects".

My ported sub is just fine, thank you. It doesn't "make up its own remix of the LFE sound track effects". There is no extra noise coming from my ported sub. It works just fine, +/- 3db from 20 - 200hz. Good luck getting a sealed box to extend that low for less than $1300.
post #13 of 236 Old 04-07-2011, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 61
All in 7.1 loving goodness, I will pick this one up today.

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #14 of 236 Old 04-07-2011, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ga View Post

Oh, did you mean their is nothing to mask the noise from a ported sub, and this is were sealed subs are clearly better. With a sealed sub the lowend is tighter and better controled, with none of that "ported sub that tend to make up its own remix of the LFE sound track effects".

LOL how random!
post #15 of 236 Old 04-07-2011, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

The movie itself was not great. The combination of good audio and quality video made the movie more acceptable to me. Also, any movie that contains Ducati motorcycles and the sound engineer gets the exhaust and engine sounds correct gains extra points from me. It really bothers we when they screw up the proper sounds for a specific car or motorcycle. I'm just critical because I ride motorcycles and really appreciate them.
post #16 of 236 Old 04-07-2011, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Okay, thanks guys. I won't expect much, then, and will just use it as a demo disc.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #17 of 236 Old 04-07-2011, 09:43 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post

My ported sub is just fine, thank you. It doesn't "make up its own remix of the LFE sound track effects". There is no extra noise coming from my ported sub. It works just fine, +/- 3db from 20 - 200hz. Good luck getting a sealed box to extend that low for less than $1300.

Umm, the 12" Rythmik Direct Servo subs go to 14Hz for under $900, even less if you buy the amp & woofer and build your own box.

My 2cu.ft. sealed 12" plays low just fine!
post #18 of 236 Old 04-07-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I was not going to buy this one, but with the Amazon deal (got it for under $16 shipped) and I just bought a new 7.0 speaker setup (DefTech) it was hard to pass up. I currently have a single eD A2-300 and will be getting a second soon. Two of those beasts should be fun to with this movie
post #19 of 236 Old 04-07-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTDIGITY View Post

Umm, the 12" Rythmik Direct Servo subs go to 14Hz for under $900, even less if you buy the amp & woofer and build your own box.

My 2cu.ft. sealed 12" plays low just fine!

Well I'm not trying to start any fights here, I love all subs equally.

I know the benefits of each, and wouldn't mind having a decent sealed box to compliment my ported box. What I don't like is that 12ga said my ported sub was adding its own effects to the mix, which is most certainly not true.

I realize he wasn't directing anything towards me, rather at ported subs in general, but I decided it was necessary to call him out on that, mainly because many of us here including myself have invested a lot of time and money into this hobby and I personally will not tolerate such blatant trolling when I come across it.
post #20 of 236 Old 04-07-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla View Post

The movie itself was not that good, but who cares. This disc will be to showoff my future HT

The movie outright sucked.

But, with all these comments I'll have to get it just for the soundtrack.
post #21 of 236 Old 04-07-2011, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I watched this last night with my son. My velodyne kept shutting itself off I guess due to clipping. There has only been one other movie where I had to turn the sub volume down to keep it from clipping and that was WoTW.

The part where he first gets in the grid...WOW!!! amazing bass from there on out.
post #22 of 236 Old 04-07-2011, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

... any movie that contains Ducati motorcycles and the sound engineer gets the exhaust and engine sounds correct gains extra points from me.

Oh man - you had to bring that up! One of the things I miss most about my youth was my Duke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsa View Post

The movie outright sucked. But, with all these comments I'll have to get it just for the soundtrack.

Just picked up both on Tuesday... now with those remarks, I'll just have to watch it!

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #23 of 236 Old 04-07-2011, 11:56 AM

Liked: 13
Saw this one at an Imax here in town that had 12,000 Watts. I wasn't that impressed with the sound or the plot when I saw it in theaters. Thought the graphics were alright, thats about all I thought was decent about the movie. Once I saw that it had 7.1 mixed tracked I figured I'd go ahead and buy it. Very glad that I did! I don't know if its the mixed tracked that suddenly made the plot better for me or just seeing it the second time but I actually enjoy the movie now seeing in it in my own room. Definitely one of the loudest movies I've seen in my room.
post #24 of 236 Old 04-07-2011, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Maybe i'll consider netflixing it because I sure as hell am not buying this movie. A friend of mine saw it and said it was absolutely terrible. It's also not my cup of tea, either.
post #25 of 236 Old 04-07-2011, 12:31 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimetera413 View Post

Maybe i'll consider netflixing it because I sure as hell am not buying this movie. A friend of mine saw it and said it was absolutely terrible. It's also not my cup of tea, either.

I thought the film was horrendous. The audio is top notch, if perhaps a bit hot in the LFE and surrounds.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #26 of 236 Old 04-07-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannoo View Post

The movie soundtrack and sound effects are a joyful bless in low frequency effects and surround sound, one of the best DTS-HD tracks I have ever listened to.

Lol, my wife and I went to the theater to watch Green Hornet. We could feel MAJOR thumps coming from another room, I looked at her and said, I think we made the wrong choice here. She just smiles and called me stupid.

After the movie, I asked the little attendant guy where all the LFE's were coming from, he quickly apologize for having Tron turned up too high across the hall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

Also, any movie that contains Ducati motorcycles and the sound engineer gets the exhaust and engine sounds correct gains extra points from me. It really bothers we when they screw up the proper sounds for a specific car or motorcycle. I'm just critical because I ride motorcycles and really appreciate them.

I'm with you. The Dark Knight rides an MV Agusta wearing a Dainese jacket and Arai Corsair helmet, very nice.

I got the chance to test ride a Ducati once back in '90ish, nothing of today. Very impressed (coming from a gixer racer), I came out of a corner in too high a gear, the sound of buwhaaaaa was coming from the bike, I thought man, wrong gear, I looked at the speedo and was going 90mph out of a 45mph corner. My assesment was a very broad power band. Where the Suzuks made power up high, the Duc was making power from down low. I would have raced this bike

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #27 of 236 Old 04-07-2011, 01:42 PM

Liked: 13
You guys are really not helped. have the box at home and am in calgary until tomorrow. definitely watching it this weekend.

Because great sound fills the room, shakes the house, breaks hearts, stirs souls, and always will
post #28 of 236 Old 04-07-2011, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I must really trust you guys because I had no intention of ever seeing Tron. I read this thread before I went to lunch. I was at Wal-Mart on my lunch break and saw it for 19.95 and decided to get it. I hope the LFE are as sweet as everyone says. This could be my new demo disc. Dark Knight has been used way to many times.
post #29 of 236 Old 04-07-2011, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 167
Quote:

I must really trust you guys because I had no intention of ever seeing Tron. I read this thread before I went to lunch. I was at Wal-Mart on my lunch break and saw it for 19.95 and decided to get it. I hope the LFE are as sweet as everyone says. This could be my new demo disc. Dark Knight has been used way to many times.

I'm with you MJ. Just bought a new subwoofer today and was wondering what blu-ray to christen it with once it arrives. If it doesn't live up to the press on this thread, I expect to collect a dollar from everyone here that posted positively.

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #30 of 236 Old 04-07-2011, 06:04 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

I'm with you MJ. Just bought a new subwoofer today and was wondering what blu-ray to christen it with once it arrives. If it doesn't live up to the press on this thread, I expect to collect a dollar from everyone here that posted positively.

Won't go wrong with TRON Legacy but also Inception has some major kick a$$ low end. I had to recalibrate my audio after Inception a couple months ago. TRON Legacy's audio is fantastic.

Reply Speakers