Surround Sound with HDMI? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-09-2011, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
okay im confused exactly how to get surround sound with my Playstation 3. My HDTV is connected to my dvd player - which doubles as an audio receiver (dolby pro logic II) - with both an optical cord and an HDMI cable.

So im asking, if i plug another hdmi cord directly into my tv, is it possible to get surround sound? I know I can just plug the optical cable into the ps3, but that means no sound for the tv and its a friggin hassle to keep unplugging/replugging that, so im hoping i dont have to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-09-2011, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
How many HDMI ports do you have on the dvd player? If it's your audio receiver,then there should be a couple HDMI ins and one HDMI out. Just input your PS3 to one of those HDMI ins and run one HDMI cable from the HDMI out to your tv. That should give you surround sound.

I need to know a little more about your dvd player.Post the exact brand and model of your dvd player.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-09-2011, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
it is a panasonic Dvd Home Theatre System, Model no. SC-PT550/SC-PT850/SC-PT850W
post #4 of 5 Old 04-10-2011, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 148
If you plug an HDMI cable in to your TV, the HDMI handshake will cause the TV to tell the player that it can only accept stereo signals. You'd be better off going HDMI to receiver then HDMI from receiver to TV. IF that's not possible, check to be sure your player is outputting multichannel over the optical cable even if the HDMI is connected to a stereo source. IDK them all. May automatically do so. There will be settings for the output over optical in the menus for the player, though.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-10-2011, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCringle View Post

okay im confused exactly how to get surround sound with my Playstation 3. My HDTV is connected to my dvd player - which doubles as an audio receiver (dolby pro logic II) - with both an optical cord and an HDMI cable.

So im asking, if i plug another hdmi cord directly into my tv, is it possible to get surround sound? I know I can just plug the optical cable into the ps3, but that means no sound for the tv and its a friggin hassle to keep unplugging/replugging that, so im hoping i dont have to.

Your receiver, or your "Home Theater In A Box" acts as your docking station for all sources. So if you are out of HDMI inputs, the next best hook up would be Optical, then Composite. You could purchase a "1 in 4 out " HDMI splitter/switching device.

Espo77
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page