AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhskyTangoFoxtrt View Post

These are cool little speakers.

It's hard to believe the sound these speakers produce and when considering the price, I feel that they may be one of the best bargain speakers out now. Needless to say, I'm enjoying them so far.

Good report, I am glad that you like them - continue to enjoy.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 405 Old 09-04-2011, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fler View Post

I bought a pair of S30s because of good reviews. I tried with 3 amplifiers, but the result is the same: terrible sound. I'm very disappointed now and I don't know what's wrong.

Anyway I found that there are more versions from S30 with different crossovers:
Version 1. Back: shop.strato.de/WebRoot/Store10/Shops/61412864/47EE/B2E1/323F/2319/BE6A/C0A8/28B9/A81F/s30_black_front_rear.jpg Crossover: stereo.de/index.php?id=391
Version 2. goldenears.net/board/527330

I have version 2. Could you write me which version do you have and what are your experiences?

None of your links work, so I'm not sure what the issue is. What don't you like about the sound?
post #273 of 405 Old 09-04-2011, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

"The speakers image well, have a clear sound with surprising mid-bass and appear to have a pretty neutral and laid-back sound."

"Laid-back" is about the last description I would apply to the S30's I worked with.
Maybe they really did change the crossover?
post #274 of 405 Old 09-04-2011, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
After considering the HSU HB-1 MK2, Energy RC-10, and the Pioneer BS-41s, I decided to take a chance on the Cambridge S30s.
I bought the BS-41 to try out. Great speaker, especially for the asking price. It's warmer sounding and has more mid-bass heft. The fullness of the sound is nice for movies.

While the bs-41 can give me the illusion that the musicians are in my room, my modded s30 has the ability to transport me . The bs-41 has more heft in the sound but the s30 still hits its bass note more accurately while offering better resolution and detail. It just sounds more realistic and neutral to me. Even though it has been awhile since I heard my s30 in its original form I would probably pick the stock s30 over the bs-41. The Pioneer does offer a flavor to the sound that I like so for now I keep both.
post #275 of 405 Old 09-05-2011, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post

"The speakers image well, have a clear sound with surprising mid-bass and appear to have a pretty neutral and laid-back sound."

"Laid-back" is about the last description I would apply to the S30's I worked with.
Maybe they really did change the crossover?

Thanks for the comment Dennis.

Maybe I'm using the term laid-back loosely -- or incorrectly. I'm evaluating them with a subwoofer, since that's how they will be listened to. This may be coloring my impression. I have no idea if the crossover has been changed.

What would be the last description that you would apply to the S30s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ster3ohead View Post

I bought the BS-41 to try out. Great speaker, especially for the asking price. It's warmer sounding and has more mid-bass heft. The fullness of the sound is nice for movies.

While the bs-41 can give me the illusion that the musicians are in my room, my modded s30 has the ability to transport me . The bs-41 has more heft in the sound but the s30 still hits its bass note more accurately while offering better resolution and detail. It just sounds more realistic and neutral to me. Even though it has been awhile since I heard my s30 in its original form I would probably pick the stock s30 over the bs-41. The Pioneer does offer a flavor to the sound that I like so for now I keep both.

Thanks for that. Like the Cambridge speakers, I appreciate how cleverly designed the BS-41 is. I believe that its designer, Andrew Jones, stated -- and I'm paraphrasing -- that it was easy to design a $100,000 flagship speaker but challenging to design a performance speaker at this price point. I may still pick them up for fun, if they're still available.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #276 of 405 Old 09-05-2011, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the comment Dennis.

What would be the last description that you would apply to the S30s?

The one you used--laid back. The first description would be "reasonably cohesive, generally clean and netural, but a little too far forward in the mids and treble."
post #277 of 405 Old 09-05-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The one you used--laid back. The first description would be "reasonably cohesive, generally clean and netural, but a little too far forward in the mids and treble."

Got it. Maybe listening to them with a sub hides that a little.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #278 of 405 Old 09-05-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:

I know you've spent some time listening to my pair. I should give an update. After living with the s30 for awhile I noticed one speaker sounding thinner and more prone to sound edgier, even annoying, than the other. Just to make sure it wasn't in my head I did numerous tests and asked for a second opinion. The results were always the same. It sounds as if the treble knob was turned up on only one speaker.

I wasn't too surprised by this because when I sent out my speakers to get modded it was measured that one tweeter was playing out of spec so I naturally thought this was the cause of what I was hearing. I contacted my seller and they were kind enough to send me a new tweeter. Unfortunately I was sent the incorrect color but was asked to install it anyways to make sure it fixes my issue. It didn't take long to hear a difference. Overall sound was smoother than before and the treble was less prone to sound edgy and glare. I did the same numerous tests and swapped the old and new tweeters back and forth. The new tweeter indeed fixed my issue. My s30 is now singing to its full potential and is sounding pretty damn nice.

Here's a pic with the silver tweeter on black. Very interesting look. It's kind of growing on me . I was told the black version is on its way.

post #279 of 405 Old 09-06-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know you've spent some time listening to my pair. I should give an update. After living with the s30 for awhile I noticed one speaker sounding thinner and more prone to sound edgier, even annoying, than the other. Just to make sure it wasn't in my head I did numerous tests and asked for a second opinion. The results were always the same. It sounds as if the treble knob was turned up on only one speaker.

I wasn't too surprised by this because when I sent out my speakers to get modded it was measured that one tweeter was playing out of spec so I naturally thought this was the cause of what I was hearing. I contacted my seller and they were kind enough to send me a new tweeter. Unfortunately I was sent the incorrect color but was asked to install it anyways to make sure it fixes my issue. It didn't take long to hear a difference. Overall sound was smoother than before and the treble was less prone to sound edgy and glare. I did the same numerous tests and swapped the old and new tweeters back and forth. The new tweeter indeed fixed my issue. My s30 is now singing to its full potential and is sounding pretty damn nice.

Well, I'm glad you got that cleared up. The one tweet was indeed running hot when I was working on the unit, although I did pad it down. I'm wondering whether it got worse. Anyhow, I'm happy to hear that Cambridge stood behind their product.
post #280 of 405 Old 09-12-2011, 02:15 PM

Quick follow up.

I received the black tweeter and have been listening to the s30 for a few days. Everything sounds as it should. Very nice. Yes, thank you Cambridge for the new tweeter as well as Roger at AudioAdvisor for the customer service.

Anyways...

I find this picture amusing.

Happy listening...
post #281 of 405 Old 09-12-2011, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quick follow up.
I received the black tweeter and have been listening to the s30 for a few days. Everything sounds as it should. Very nice. Yes, thank you Cambridge for the new tweeter as well as Roger at AudioAdvisor for the customer service.

Good to hear - continue to enjoy!

post #282 of 405 Old 09-28-2011, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Is it just the lighting in the pic, or is the baffle black instead of the graphite color?
post #283 of 405 Old 09-28-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

Is it just the lighting in the pic, or is the baffle black instead of the graphite color?

It's black. CA calls it noir.

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_779S30N...ambridge+Audio
post #284 of 405 Old 09-29-2011, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by physicsdude View Post

It's black. CA calls it noir.

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_779S30N...ambridge+Audio

I'm referring to the baffle (front), not the vinyl wrap on the rest of the cabinet - which comes in Noir (black) or Dark Oak.

Even the pic at Crutchfield shows the "graphite" colored baffle (notice the tweeter mount is black, and is darker than the baffle)... But in Stereohead's pic, the baffle looks black.
post #285 of 405 Old 09-29-2011, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm referring to the baffle (front), not the vinyl wrap on the rest of the cabinet - which comes in Noir (black) or Dark Oak.

Even the pic at Crutchfield shows the "graphite" colored baffle (notice the tweeter mount is black, and is darker than the baffle)... But in Stereohead's pic, the baffle looks black.

I have the Noir, which is actually a very dark brown - almost black. The baffle is black.

post #286 of 405 Old 09-29-2011, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 781
I keep seeing zieglj01 recommending these on the main speaker forum, and I just wanted to jump in here and offer another vote of +1 for the S30s. I originally got mine for $150 as an open box deal from AudioAdvisor a couple of years ago. Black wood finish with grey speaker covers. Despite the criticism that ported bookshelves sometimes get, that's what makes these speakers. It's hard to believe that the S30s have 4.5" drivers. Such a full sound. I did find them a little exhausting to use for me for near listening with my PC setup (coupled with an HK AVR 35). But otherwise, these are awesome speakers at the price point of $220.

I wish I knew more about how they sound in conjunction with the S50 and S20s as a 5.0 setup. At $570 for the set, if the S50 is a good center, it could be an awesome budget system to recommend to anyone looking for 50%music/50%HT.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #287 of 405 Old 09-29-2011, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Has anyone tried to find out whether Cambridge Audio will be importing the SL30s?

It seems from what I've read that the SL30 achieves the goal of those modding the S30s.

Thanks
post #288 of 405 Old 09-29-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Has anyone tried to find out whether Cambridge Audio will be importing the SL30s?

It seems from what I've read that the SL30 achieves the goal of those modding the S30s.

Thanks

Some small shops might be able to get them so you should consider asking a local dealer.

I know AudioAdvisor and WildWestElectronics carries the SL70
post #289 of 405 Old 09-30-2011, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

The tweeter is new and the finish is more attractive - however, they
still did a first order crossover - I do not expect a big difference in
sound, from the origional S30.

post #290 of 405 Old 09-30-2011, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by physicsdude View Post

Some small shops might be able to get them so you should consider asking a local dealer.

I know AudioAdvisor and WildWestElectronics carries the SL70

Called Audio Advisor. No word yet.

Interesting that it's hard to find reviews of the SL70 Towers anywhere.
post #291 of 405 Old 09-30-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:

It's the lighting or camera. The baffle isn't the exact same black as the woofer in natural lighting. It's more of a dark, grayish-black to me.
post #292 of 405 Old 02-11-2012, 04:24 PM

Hi guys,

Can anyone direct me to place that would sell a replacement driver for the S30's

As after reading this thread,
I purchased a set of S30's (ebay dumb idea i know ) and one of the drivers was faulty.

The ebay vendor wont honor the warranty,,, due to only me only sending back the faulty driver.
Even though the driver was found to be faulty by Cambridge (he vendor said it was fine to send only driver due to postage costs )

Here in Australia Cambridge wont support or even sell a replacement driver even thought they have them in stock and I was happy to pay $90 for the replacement.

So I have a pair S30's that I cant use

Sorry bout the thread digg seemed most appropriate place to post.

Hmm guess just have to do some more research here and consider different brand.

Thanks for your time dan
post #293 of 405 Old 02-11-2012, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danie11 View Post

Here in Australia Cambridge wont support or even sell a replacement driver even thought they have them in stock and I was happy to pay $90 for the replacement.

So I have a pair S30's that I cant use

Is this the dealer, that turned you down?
Look to the right
http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/dealers.php

Just for exploration, contact Spearit Sound - they sell Cambridge.
See if they have any ideas, or can help.
http://www.spearitsound.com/contactus.html

Audio Partnership owns Cambridge - Email them
Look at the bottom of the page
http://www.audiopartnership.com/contact.html

post #294 of 405 Old 02-11-2012, 08:20 PM

Thanks for your fast reply, I will email the ones you listed. and hope I can get replacement.

The guys who turned me down were

Synergy Audio (Cambridge Distributor for Australia)

They were helpful at first, eg had stock of the replacement I need for $90

But after mentioned purchase was made through a ebay vendor they refused to sell me the driver as they wont support non genuine imports.

Not sure who turned down original warranty as guy on ebay wont return emails any more all he said was,

Cambridge South Korea acknowledge driver was faulty but wont honor warranty due to driver being removed from panel. Hasn't even returned faulty driver back

I will give them call see if I can get a replacement,, as the one speaker I listened to is perfect for my PC audio setup combined with a little tri-path amp it really was as good a setup as the opinions in this thread.

Regards Dan
post #295 of 405 Old 02-12-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ediblestarfish View Post

I think I'll bring them home and set them up on my stands and see if the sound can balance out a bit. Have an SPL meter there to get better optimisation.

One thing for sure is that they put out a lot of bass. That rear port moves a lot of air, and I think it's transferring a lot of bass energy further than I'm used to.

I'm actually kind of shocked that so much sound is coming from a 4" woofer. It's also as efficient as they say--doesn't take much power to get them going. The speaker sets a pretty high bar for what can be accomplished for both its size and price.

your amazement drives me back to 1986 when I had a National Panasonic stereo shelf system with 3.5 or 4" speakers. They had amazing bass...almost as much as 8" paper cones.
post #296 of 405 Old 05-22-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:

I know that I am late in posting here and so I probably won't get any feedback.
I haved been told by a online salesperson and another at ebay that the cabinet is veneer? Which is it? Also does Noir look like a matted (not gloss) black piano color?

Thanks
post #297 of 405 Old 05-23-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe it is vinyl. The 'Noir' finish is a very dark brown with a slightly visible woodgrain appearance.

post #298 of 405 Old 09-21-2012, 06:21 PM

Hello everyone! after reading through this thread I have decided on getting these speakers.
Now I haven't been too successful in finding any in my hometown (Kitchener/Waterloo, Ontario).
I am wondering if anyone knows of any websites where they could be purchased? Preferably one for which shipping wont be too much.

Thanks!
post #299 of 405 Old 09-21-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Audio Advisor carries the S30s, and they ship internationally. I don't know why they wouldn't ship to Canada since the border is only a few hours away smile.gif (they are in Michigan)

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #300 of 405 Old 11-29-2012, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I just managed to snag a used SL30 and testing it. So far, very happy with it. Bass is very tight and more firm than original S30. And it's competing quite well with my B&W705 fronts.

Hope I can mod it with Dennis help, and see the difference! smile.gif
Reply Speakers

Tags
Bookshelf Speakers , Cambridge Audio Bookshelf Speakers S30 , Speaker Systems , Pioneer , Cambridge Speakers S30 N

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page