AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabraham View Post
well i just hooked these speakers up and all i can say is wow

thinking ahead here a little bit.. how big are the s20's if i wanted to use them as rears? any other rears you guys could suggest? i'd prefer something small.... i am even consider in wall rears.
Here you go
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...20%20%20%20BLK

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 405 Old 05-18-2011, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
by chance has anyone compared the s30's to the mirage omd5's. Just so happens i'm getting a pr of omd5's for a 2 ch bedroom system using a marantz nr1601. If the mirage dont work out i can always do something else.
post #183 of 405 Old 05-18-2011, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post
by chance has anyone compared the s30's to the mirage omd5's. Just so happens i'm getting a pr of omd5's for a 2 ch bedroom system using a marantz nr1601. If the mirage dont work out i can always do something else.
I do not know what to tell you - except, it might be better not to
read this.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com

post #184 of 405 Old 05-18-2011, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post

I didn't directly compare the S30 to the OMD5...

But did A/B compare the OMD to the NHT Absolute Zero... and more recently, the Absolute Zero to the S30... These comparisons were done in the same room/placement... level matched...

For me, it was fairly easy to determine that I like the Absolute Zero better than the OMD-5... however, I felt the S30 vs NHT was a tougher call... although leaning slightly toward the NHT...

Based on the two independent comparisons... I've guess I'd like the S30 better than the OMD-5... but just to not ruffle any feathers... I can't make a definitive statement since I didn't compare them directly...

This is just my preference... so take it for what it's worth...

post #185 of 405 Old 05-18-2011, 06:08 PM

Hi all,

Just got these speakers and set them up to be driven by a Marantz NR1601. I'm also running an S50 center channel and an Emotiva Ultra10 subwoofer. I made all the basic connections, ran Audyssey etc. without going too deeply into the manual, and everything sounds really good to my untrained ear. However, I've been playing around and reading the manual a bit more and had a couple of questions that the manual doesn't address.

After I ran Audyssey the first time, I noticed these were set to "big", and I changed them to small and set crossovers manually to 80hz. Yesterday, I moved the speakers and re-ran Audyssey, and for some reason, it insists on recognizing these speakers as "big", and making them full-range! I changed them again to small and set the crossover manually to 80hz again. Is there any way I can force the receiver into accepting these as small -before- I run Audyssey? So that it sets the appropriate crossovers rather than me doing it? With my lack of experience, I'd trust Audyssey to do a better job of "tuning" the speakers to work together. Is there some reason the receiver thinks the S30s are doing a better job with the bass than the emotiva?

Second, the receiver manual talks about the possibility of bi-amping (not bi-wiring, according to Pg. 32 of the manual) the front speakers for better sound, and offers up a way to do that. Can the S30 be bi-amped? There are two pairs of posts, and since I don't plan on running surrounds for a while, I could use the extra outputs on the receiver for this. Any thoughts/recommendations/cautions?

Thanks very much for al lthe help!
BT
post #186 of 405 Old 05-18-2011, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

If any one is concerned whether the Cambridge has bass - then this is
your answer. And do not bi-wire or bi-amp the speakers - it is a waist
of time, and expense for wire.
Now, I am not a fan of the different speaker set ups on the receivers -
they tend to wear me out. I have to leave that answer for the ones who
use it and like it, and enjoy it. I just treat my room, and set it up myself.
Someone will chime in and help you. The speakers should be set to small
and crossed at 80hz.

post #187 of 405 Old 05-18-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

You seem to have a critical and dedicated ear to me.

"Now I'm not nearly as experienced as a lot of you on this forum, but I'm also not a complete audio novice."

So it seems
Thanks.
post #188 of 405 Old 05-18-2011, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ster3ohead View Post

So it seems
Thanks.

Please report back when you receive, and hook up the modded versioin.

post #189 of 405 Old 05-19-2011, 12:21 AM

^For sure!
Looking forward to hearing them again. Last I heard the parts were on their way

Beeten,
Once you set Audyssey and manually adjust the crossover to 80hz.. I'm pretty sure you're good to go. I don't know if it's frown upon but I think you can even cross it over to 60hz and get satisfying results. Try it out. Nice looking receiver btw! I used to own a marantz.. I enjoyed it very much.

Quote:
well i just hooked these speakers up and all i can say is wow
Nice!.. I had the same exact reaction. I'm really glad it plays well in a room as big as yours. Impressive.
post #190 of 405 Old 05-19-2011, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeten View Post
Hi all,

Just got these speakers and set them up to be driven by a Marantz NR1601. I'm also running an S50 center channel and an Emotiva Ultra10 subwoofer. I made all the basic connections, ran Audyssey etc. without going too deeply into the manual, and everything sounds really good to my untrained ear. However, I've been playing around and reading the manual a bit more and had a couple of questions that the manual doesn't address.

After I ran Audyssey the first time, I noticed these were set to "big", and I changed them to small and set crossovers manually to 80hz. Yesterday, I moved the speakers and re-ran Audyssey, and for some reason, it insists on recognizing these speakers as "big", and making them full-range! I changed them again to small and set the crossover manually to 80hz again. Is there any way I can force the receiver into accepting these as small -before- I run Audyssey? So that it sets the appropriate crossovers rather than me doing it? With my lack of experience, I'd trust Audyssey to do a better job of "tuning" the speakers to work together. Is there some reason the receiver thinks the S30s are doing a better job with the bass than the emotiva?

hah, i just got the exact same set up.. s30's, s50 and emotiva 10.... and ran audyssey as well on my denon receiver. weird.... mine were recognized as small.

question for you.... are your s30's completely black and does your s50 have a silver trim around this? it doesn't really both me, but it seems strange that the 30 would have a black trim while the 50 has a silver one.
post #191 of 405 Old 05-19-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ster3ohead View Post
Beeten,
Once you set Audyssey and manually adjust the crossover to 80hz.. I'm pretty sure you're good to go. I don't know if it's frown upon but I think you can even cross it over to 60hz and get satisfying results. Try it out.
Thanks. Once I get used to litening to good sound, the next step is to play around with a bunch of stuff and see what sounds better. I will do that over the next few weeks/months. All I can say at this point is I'm not going to send anything back. And if there are better speakers (as I'm sure there are), my kids college funding is going to take a hit
Beeten
post #192 of 405 Old 05-19-2011, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
hah, i just got the exact same set up.. s30's, s50 and emotiva 10.... and ran audyssey as well on my denon receiver. weird.... mine were recognized as small.

question for you.... are your s30's completely black and does your s50 have a silver trim around this? it doesn't really both me, but it seems strange that the 30 would have a black trim while the 50 has a silver one.
The S-series speakers used to come in black or "natural oak" with a silver baffle. The newers batches come in black or dark oak with a dark charcoal/graphite colored baffle...

My guess is you got an S50 from the old production runs...
post #193 of 405 Old 05-19-2011, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Looking forward to people's thoughts on the S50 center...

Particularly, how well if performs as you move off axis...
post #194 of 405 Old 05-19-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Could be the speaker placement. Out of necessity, I have the speakers placed fairly close to each other relative to the listening area (4' apart and 15' away from listening area). After I make the crossover changes, do I lose the rest of the Audyssey adjustments or is all the other tuning retained?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabraham
I had the exact same thought! Not sure why that is. I checked the box etc to make sure I had the right item delivered. I use the grills, so it doesn't matter, but it is a bit weird... [Edit: I see alphaiii has an explanation for this above]
BT
post #195 of 405 Old 05-19-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

Alphaiii,
Forgive the noobness, but what does off-axis mean? Do you mean moving it away from the center? on the horizontal axis? Vertical?

FWIW, I'm very happy with the S50. But my previous speakers were the ones that came with my TV, so there was bound to be an improvement. There is one thing I notice: with the center, I know where the sound is coming from, whereas with the S30s, that's not the case, if you know what I mean. When I got these, they were initially on the floor for a few days, and they still sounded great. I have since moved the center to a shelf just below the wall-mounted TV (just about ear height, maybe a bit over), and I can't tell that there's been an improvement. In fact, I think it may have actually sounded a bit better when on the floor... It was also about 3' closer to me when on the floor. But that could be just me not knowing what to listen to, so take this with a pound of salt.

Cheers,
BT

BT
post #196 of 405 Old 05-19-2011, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Audyssey takes the room and placement into account - such as distance from
the back wall > distance from the side wall > objects that are close and next
to the speaker > if the speaker is on a stand or shelf > the general size of the
room - these things effect how the bass is going to sound, and respond.

post #197 of 405 Old 05-19-2011, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeten View Post

Alphaiii,
Forgive the noobness, but what does off-axis mean? Do you mean moving it away from the center? on the horizontal axis? Vertical?

FWIW, I'm very happy with the S50. But my previous speakers were the ones that came with my TV, so there was bound to be an improvement. There is one thing I notice: with the center, I know where the sound is coming from, whereas with the S30s, that's not the case, if you know what I mean. When I got these, they were initially on the floor for a few days, and they still sounded great. I have since moved the center to a shelf just below the wall-mounted TV (just about ear height, maybe a bit over), and I can't tell that there's been an improvement. In fact, I think it may have actually sounded a bit better when on the floor... It was also about 3' closer to me when on the floor. But that could be just me not knowing what to listen to, so take this with a pound of salt.

Cheers,
BT

BT

Yes, by off-axis... I'm just referring to moving to the left or right of the center... On axis would be sitting directly in line with the tweeter - dead center...

I've found with several centers I've owned that it's easy to tell the sound is coming from the speaker beneath the TV... they don't give that sense of the sound coming from the screen...

Angling the speaker can help in this type of situation... but if it's basically at ear height... that's where'd you'd want it...

Some speakers just don't create that sense of a sound emanating from somewhere in space outside of the speaker itself... although shelf placement of a speaker may be part of the reason for this...

BTW, I'll ask just in case - do you have the speaker pulled to the very front of the shelf?
post #198 of 405 Old 05-19-2011, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Make sure it is to the front edge of the shelf - and is set up properly
concerning sound level and distance. Being balanced and blending with
the front speakers will help a lot. Also, the center picks up most of the
action in a movie, and will not always have a disappearing effect. A
bookshelf, like the L/R speakers - will tend to blend better.

post #199 of 405 Old 05-19-2011, 12:31 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

I actually think that the center speaker sounds pretty good. I'm usually off-axis when I'm tired cause the sofa is not directly in front of the TV (it's on the side -- see pic) and can actually tell where the sound is coming fairly well. In fact, I think I might need to actually play a bit more with the settings because it sometimes sounds overpowering (especially with some genres of music I listen to -- though it probably also has to do with the proximity since the living room is small...).

Just as a side note, the center speaker makes a HUGE difference in movies. I tried it with and without the center (to decide if I was going to get rid of it or not ) and well, as you can see, I still have it. I think the definition it provides it's great and I cannot envision myself watching movies without it. Don't get me wrong though, the S30s performed great without the center but seeing that I will be doing mostly TV viewing, I thought the extra dimension provided by the center was very welcomed.

Another note... that thing (S50) is B I G!!!!
I've had a few center speakers (all of them of the HTiB cheapo kind) and this eats all of those for breakfast (figurative and literally! )!!
LL
post #200 of 405 Old 05-19-2011, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Nice report - have fun

"I actually think that the center speaker sounds pretty good. I'm usually off-axis when I'm tired cause the sofa is not directly in front of the TV (it's on the side -- see pic)"

post #201 of 405 Old 05-19-2011, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the pic and input.

It's always fun checking out other people's setup. Since I don't have my s30s to listen to yet... at least I can see some. I demand more pictures from s30 users!

Looking for advice on the s50 and s30....
Which sounds better as a center channel if space limitation is not an issue? A single s30 or a s50?

I do understand that the ideal setup is having the same speakers for the left, center, and right channel. I'm just curious to see if there are any benefits using the s50 over a single s30 sound wise.
post #202 of 405 Old 05-21-2011, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Followed this thread with interest.

Wondering if any compared the S30 to the 'upgraded' SL30?

UL
post #203 of 405 Old 05-22-2011, 02:30 AM

The sl70 is around but the sl30 doesn't seem available online in the U.S. yet.

After spending a couple more days with the cbm-170, I finally packed and shipped it back yesterday. My impressions stayed the same. It's a high performing speaker but on the slightly aggressive and analytical side. It did play nice with classical music.

Definitely miss the sound of the Cambridge s30.
Hope everyone is enjoying theirs.
post #204 of 405 Old 05-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
all this from 1 dude, thanks Jim
post #205 of 405 Old 05-26-2011, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post
all this from 1 dude, thanks Jim
It is a good speaker, for a 1st order electrical crossover.

post #206 of 405 Old 05-26-2011, 05:46 PM

do the s70s sound just as good as the s30s? For a large room what would be better 4 x S30 + S50 or 2 x S70 + 2 x S30 + S50? What kind of stands are people getting for the S30?
post #207 of 405 Old 05-26-2011, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjacka View Post

do the s70s sound just as good as the s30s? For a large room what would be better 4 x S30 + S50 or 2 x S70 + 2 x S30 + S50? What kind of stands are people getting for the S30?

For a large room get the towers, I do not reccomend the Cambridge
subwoofer. For stands - they need to fit a 9" deep speaker, and be
the proper height, for a surround set up.

post #208 of 405 Old 05-26-2011, 07:49 PM

I haven't heard the s70 but I can only assume it'll be better in your situation.

You can always buy just the s30 and a s50 first and see how well this combination works as your LCR. Depending on your results, add another s30 or go for the s70 to complete your system later on.

As for speaker stands, consider the Pangea Audio. It's sand-fillable and is priced nicely. The pics I have posted are with a target 24" speaker stand. The top plate is 6" by 6" and my s30 feels secure on it.
post #209 of 405 Old 05-27-2011, 01:33 AM

hey guys, i picked up a set of s70s, a s50 centre and s30s for rears and im simply loving them.
i previously had a tannoy sfx 5.1 set which for a start sounded good but nowhere near as good as the cambridge set up.

the s50 centre is crisp and clear and off axis seems to work well also, well much better than the tannoy i had previously (can that even be a comparison ).
The s70s are excellent in my opinion but i am ni audiophile.
the s30s havent really had a work out as of yet as i only set everything up yesterday and watched a couple of test clips but ill test it all out properly over the weekend.
post #210 of 405 Old 05-27-2011, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cragglemiester View Post

hey guys, i picked up a set of s70s, a s50 centre and s30s for rears and im simply loving them.

Good Luck and enjoy.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Bookshelf Speakers , Cambridge Audio Bookshelf Speakers S30 , Speaker Systems , Pioneer , Cambridge Speakers S30 N

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page