What Tower Speakers Should I Get? - Suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-13-2011, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm starting to research/build my home theater system. Right now I'm looking at either getting the Denon 3311 or Yamaha RX-A1000. Looking for a 2-zone receiver. I will have my home theater system in the basement above the theater room is my living and dinner room approximately 18 x 13 feet. I wish to have 2 tower speakers in the living/dining room, this will be used for music purposes (i.e. airplay). If I were to get the Denon 3311 and set up my ht as a 7.1, I will have to get an amp to power zone 2 in my living room, however I still don't know what receiver I will be getting and if I will be setting a 7.1 (most probably though). Now my question is what kind of speakers should I get? I'm a beginner when it comes to home theater systems especially speakers. What are peoples suggestions? My budget is $600-700 on the pair of speakers. I was looking at the Klipsch RF-82 II, is this too excessive (and expensive for my books) for that room size. I was also looking into Polk Audio tower speakers. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I would suggest looking and auditioning some Paradigm Monitor 9's or 11's for your room. Your ears will be able to pick whats best for you but alot of people think Klipsch is on the harsh/more bright sounding (horns). Paradigms are amazing value speakers and they have won many awards so check them out! I have the Monitor 11's,CC-290,ADP-390's and the DSP-3200 and they are very nice speakers. Ask any questions.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
As mentioned above "your ears will be able to pick out whats best". If you have access to an audio store or even Best Buy go take a listen as thats the only "true" way. We all have our prefernaces, likes & dislikes so for someone to say "these are the best" is up to them as you my not like the sound yourself. Some do say Klipsch is a bit harsk/bright as to where some others and myself think they sound excellent... esp. for HT. If you have or had a chance to listen to the Referance series from Klipsch ( as you listed) and really like them then I would reccomend the link below as they produce pretty much the same sound at quite a bit less for a pair. (thats the way I went anyhow..love them!). Good luck!

http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/c...pid=1530&sc=32
post #4 of 9 Old 04-13-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
I agree w/skally. I owned soft dome tweeter speakers (Aperion 6Ts) and currently have 3 Klipsch RF-7IIs and to me the Klipsch do not hurt my ears but do sound clearer/cleaner. But you do have to listen for you to decide. I think most of the people who say a speaker sounds bright/fatiguing probably have a room problem which can be treated.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #5 of 9 Old 04-13-2011, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

I agree w/skally. I owned soft dome tweeter speakers (Aperion 6Ts) and currently have 3 Klipsch RF-7IIs and to me the Klipsch do not hurt my ears but do sound clearer/cleaner. But you do have to listen for you to decide. I think most of the people who say a speaker sounds bright/fatiguing probably have a room problem which can be treated.

Not always the case. Ive been in the same treated room and listened to Klipsch among other speakers with friends.....all say the Klipsch Horns are just so bright and harsh to all our ears and that was in a high end audio store with a treated room. I guess it depends on how deaf you are when listening to Klipsch! jk lol It all depends on the person's ears and what sounds best to them but listen to the speakers for at least 30 mins then decide.....
post #6 of 9 Old 04-13-2011, 03:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Each his own...best thing is for OP to audition speakers in home. A couple companies Aperion included have free 30 day trial. Shipping free both ways. Just curious Stylz was the Klipsch the new IIs w/new crossover and driver design?

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #7 of 9 Old 04-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

Each his own...best thing is for OP to audition speakers in home. A couple companies Aperion included have free 30 day trial. Shipping free both ways. Just curious Stylz was the Klipsch the new IIs w/new crossover and driver design?

Yeah they were the new Klipsch II's they had at the store. I still liked them alot though.....
post #8 of 9 Old 04-13-2011, 04:12 PM

Liked: 11
Thusnani,

Here's a pretty recent thread on floorstanders (aka towers) that should help you out:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1323960
post #9 of 9 Old 04-14-2011, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks everyone. I'll need to go out there and start listening to all those different kinds of speakers.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page