Can Audyssey be trusted? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 04-14-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I have seen many threads where people's settings were all messed by the Audyssey calibration. I also read that once Audyssey sets a crossover frequency, you can only increase it but not decrease. Is it better to do a manual calibration with a SPL meter than using the Audyssey calibration?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 04-14-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 381
You should post this question in the Audyssey thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=795421

I trust it with my systems.

Afro GT
post #3 of 29 Old 04-14-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
me also Audyssey is top notch

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #4 of 29 Old 04-14-2011, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Audyssey is not perfect and it is possible for it to get things wrong. Garbage in, garbage out.

However, I do believe it is currently as good or better than any other "automatic" room correction device on the market.

Used as a tool in the proper fashion, as a complement to other audio calibration techniques, I think it is outstanding.

JTR Noesis 212HT x 3 (LCR) powered by Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
CHT SHO-10 x 4 (sides and rear) powered by Denon 4311
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #5 of 29 Old 04-14-2011, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla View Post

Is it better to do a manual calibration with a SPL meter than using the Audyssey calibration?

Audyssey may be perfect but the typical user is incapable of doing a manual "calibration" as well as Audyssey's.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #6 of 29 Old 04-14-2011, 07:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 435
I can take it or leave it, and most of the time I do not use it. I get tired of
re-adjusting. The same with the set ups, on the Pioneer receivers and the
Yamaha's.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #7 of 29 Old 04-14-2011, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 87
If you believe in it, and many do, then it will give you great results.

If you don't believe in it, and many do not, then it will ruin the sound of your system.

That's over-simplified, of course, but the bottom line is that it can't think, only you can. It has a very sophisticated set of of finite parameters that it can use to tune a system, but it's neither infinite nor infallible, and it does encounter situations that are outside its programmed abilities. You can use it, then listen to the results and decide if it's better, worse, or inconsequential.

It it's better, then accept it; if it's not, then reject it and find another way to tune your system.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #8 of 29 Old 04-14-2011, 10:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post
It it's better, then accept it; if it's not, then reject it and find another way to tune your system.
Exactly. And it's better to have the option than not.

Sanjay
post #9 of 29 Old 04-14-2011, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 103
The biggest misconception I have read is people who claim that Audyssey set their speakers to large when they should have been small. This is not Audyssey, It is the speaker manufacturers.

I am a fan of the multiEQ and Dynamic Volume offerings from Audyssey, There are some great threads/sites out there that explain the best way to setup and configure Audyssey, I highly recommend people take the time to learn how to do it properly.

And you can always turn Audyssey off and do your own calibration.
post #10 of 29 Old 04-14-2011, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk
And you can always turn Audyssey off and do your own calibration.
That's true. But you can't do your own EQ, so you will need a separate solution for that

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #11 of 29 Old 04-15-2011, 02:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
As long the Audyssey mic is correct for the receiver then Audyssey MultiEQ and above do a really good job. But the match between mic and receiver has to be correct and Onkyo just replaced a bunch of incorrect mics for their older TX-SR876 and TX-NR906 and possibly others.
post #12 of 29 Old 04-15-2011, 03:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
That's true. But you can't do your own EQ, so you will need a separate solution for that
What type of solutions are available for setting EQ?
post #13 of 29 Old 04-15-2011, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Ale

What type of solutions are available for setting EQ?
Audyssey has their dedicated sub EQ. There's also the MiniDSP and Antimode8033 that come to mind. I know there are others but those are the ones which I'm familiar. Also I know Behringer has many EQ solutions.

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #14 of 29 Old 04-15-2011, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling
As long the Audyssey mic is correct for the receiver then Audyssey MultiEQ and above do a really good job. But the match between mic and receiver has to be correct and Onkyo just replaced a bunch of incorrect mics for their older TX-SR876 and TX-NR906 and possibly others.
That's actually misinformation and you should stop spreading it IMO. The real story appears to be that the mics were correct all along,, a printing error I Believe led to some confusion
post #15 of 29 Old 04-15-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:

I have seen many threads where people's settings were all messed by the Audyssey calibration. I also read that once Audyssey sets a crossover frequency, you can only increase it but not decrease. Is it better to do a manual calibration with a SPL meter than using the Audyssey calibration?

You're talking about two different things. The frequency Audyssey chooses for your crossover has nothing to do with it the trim levels it sets for your speakers, or manually calibrating them with an SPL meter.
post #16 of 29 Old 04-15-2011, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
I am sorry for my lack of knowledge about Audyssey. That's the reason I came to this forum, to learn. So far the community has been great at answering all my questions. And I believe I am a little more learned about Audyssey than before. Thanks everyone for the taking the time to answer my question.
post #17 of 29 Old 04-15-2011, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:

If you believe in it, and many do, then it will give you great results.

If you don't believe in it, and many do not, then it will ruin the sound of your system.

Audyssey = Tinkerbell?

post #18 of 29 Old 04-15-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

Or, if it's not, figure out what you did incorrectly and try it again.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #19 of 29 Old 04-15-2011, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 103
Quote:

I am sorry for my lack of knowledge about Audyssey. That's the reason I came to this forum, to learn. So far the community has been great at answering all my questions. And I believe I am a little more learned about Audyssey than before. Thanks everyone for the taking the time to answer my question.

Have you actually read the dedicated Audyssey thread (or at least the first few pages?) You really need to understand the steps involved and make sure you execute them properly. I suspect the majority of people who do not like the results of Audyssey is because they did not read the FAQ's and understand the proper steps and techniques.
post #20 of 29 Old 04-15-2011, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsa View Post

That's actually misinformation and you should stop spreading it IMO. The real story appears to be that the mics were correct all along,, a printing error I Believe led to some confusion

Perhaps you should get your facts straight before calling BS on someone else. Onkyo already replaced one of mine and it made a huge difference. Not a small difference - huge! It was like heavy blankets had been removed from $4k in speakers. But if you still feel Onkyo is full of crap about their own products and assisting in a recall for no reason then you might want to contact them and let them know.

http://onkyousa.com/press_releases.cfm?id=208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkyo View Post

Replacement Audyssey Set-up Mic
02/04/11 - A very small number of an incorrect version of the silver Audyssey setup microphone might have been shipped with your Onkyo product.

Audyssey is offering to replace this incorrect set-up mic.

Please click on the following link to see if the mic you have qualifies for a replacement and how to contact Audyssey directly.

PDF

post #21 of 29 Old 04-15-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post

Perhaps you should get your facts straight before calling BS on someone else. Onkyo already replaced one of mine and it made a huge difference. Not a small difference - huge! It was like heavy blankets had been removed from $4k in speakers. But if you still feel Onkyo is full of crap about their own products and assisting in a recall for no reason then you might want to contact them and let them know.

Before spouting off yourself again, maybe you should go back and read the thread to find out what the FINAL resolution was.

The issue is not what they may have believed to be the truth at one point in time, but what the truth is at it is known today. Right?

Who cares that at one point in time people thought the world was flat, TODAY we know that not to be the truth, so we don't go around telling others that the world is flat.

At least most of us don't, I can't speak for you.

Here you go:

Originally Posted by audyssey

We have been investigating further and have finally gotten to the (true) bottom of this issue. As some of you already said earlier, it did indeed turn out to be a misprinting of the mic model on the box!

Here are the facts:

Onkyo decided to use the Audyssey mic in late 2008. At that time Audyssey was switching from the ACM-1 to the ACM-1H.

But, the new mic manufacturer was printing ACM-1 for a few months even though the mics were the correct ACM-1H.

I have received about 10 mics from AVSForum users and they were all perfectly correct ACM-1H mics. This led to further digging and we finally got to the right person at the mic factory that confirmed the printing error.

As for the few hundred ACM-1 mics that Onkyo had for evaluation, we were told that they were destroyed and never shipped.

So in conclusion: if you have an Onkyo or Integra product with an Audyssey mic then it is an ACM-1H even if the box says ACM-1. It has a nickel plated (silver) mono minijack plug.

I know that some of you have been updating other forums and I would appreciate it if you could post this info there as well. We consider this issue closed. Except, of course, for the counterfeit mics that are still on eBay. They are easy to spot: stereo minijack. Stay clear of those.
post #22 of 29 Old 04-15-2011, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Before spouting off yourself again, maybe you should go back and read the thread to find out what the FINAL resolution was.

I don't believe the story. Do you still believe in the Easter Bunny? I'm sure he's sincere and probably believes what he says but I don't buy it. Onkyo didn't even ask for the bad mics back - they just sent replacements so there is no way that Audyssey could have tested even a decent sample of the mics that were replaced. Testing 10 out of tens of thousands is nothing. It's a good story though.

The mic that came with one of my Onkyos was so bad that the only way I could stand to listen was with Audyssey off - until the mic was replaced.
post #23 of 29 Old 04-15-2011, 08:35 PM

It's really of no importance to me what you believe. I've spoken to people from both Onkyo and Audyessey and they verify the story What some guy on the Internet with zero credibility and zero credentials thinks or believes is thereof of no import to me.

BTW, I'm sure the fact that you have 4k speakers is impressive to you, else why else would you mention it? But around here, where many people buy speakers at levels in multiples of that, it's the Yugo of speakers. Just saying
post #24 of 29 Old 04-15-2011, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's really of no importance to me what you believe. I've spoken to people from both Onkyo and Audyessey and they verify the story What some guy on the Internet with zero credibility and zero credentials thinks or believes is thereof of no import to me.

So the press release on Onkyo's site doesn't exist? To me you are the classic fanboy. Nothing will get in the way of your fanboy devotion which is why you have zero credibility. No amount of colored fonts, large fonts, rudeness or fanboy devotion is going to change the fact that Onkyo posted a notice acknowledging a problem.

Quote:

BTW, I'm sure the fact that you have 4k speakers is impressive to you, else why else would you mention it? But around here, where many people buy speakers at levels in multiples of that, it's the Yugo of speakers. Just saying

Classic fanboy need to attack anyone that casts doubt on the subject of your devotion. How cute.

I'm now officially bored with you.
post #25 of 29 Old 04-15-2011, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member

Audessey does not select x-overs. That is limited to a receivers parameters. If onkyo denon whoever does 40-150hz in 10hz increments then you get whatever is within the +/-3db. If it were up to Audessey (as it should be) the speakers would be x-over is 1hz increments per channel so each channel would be blended with the sub woofer perfectly. I think 4 sub channels would be ideal, blend the channels properly and tweak lfe to proper volume as well.
post #26 of 29 Old 04-16-2011, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling
So the press release on Onkyo's site doesn't exist? To me you are the classic fanboy. Nothing will get in the way of your fanboy devotion which is why you have zero credibility. No amount of colored fonts, large fonts, rudeness or fanboy devotion is going to change the fact that Onkyo posted a notice acknowledging a problem.

Classic fanboy need to attack anyone that casts doubt on the subject of your devotion. How cute.

I'm now officially bored with you.
Tell you what, simple enough solution, call Onkyo and ask them if what Audyssey said is true or not. If no, post that info here. Of course, I'd know you were lying because that's exactly what I've already done.

Dude it's simple, say you were wrong. And if you don't like people calling you out on your prideful posts, don't wave your "4k speakers" around as if anyone here is supposed to be impressed by that.
post #27 of 29 Old 04-16-2011, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
The biggest misconception I have read is people who claim that Audyssey set their speakers to large when they should have been small. This is not Audyssey, It is the speaker manufacturers.
Why?
There is no way for Audyssey to poll the speakers to find out what brand they are. It's not like they are connected through USB or something like that.

post #28 of 29 Old 04-16-2011, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Tell you what, simple enough solution, call Onkyo and ask them if what Audyssey said is true or not. If no, post that info here. Of course, I'd know you were lying because that's exactly what I've already done.

Dude it's simple, say you were wrong. And if you don't like people calling you out on your prideful posts, don't wave your "4k speakers" around as if anyone here is supposed to be impressed by that.
You don't get enough of being a fanboy troll do you.

post #29 of 29 Old 04-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

You should post this question in the Audyssey thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=795421

^^^
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page