Speaker & Stands - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-19-2011, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm currently looking to replace my entire (very dated) stereo/home theater setup. Presently the Ascend Sierra-1 speakers in piano black are what I'm looking at and I'm a big fan of the Transdeco TD32B stands. They are 32" in height and have a base plate that is 7.1"x7.1" - the speakers have a base of 7.5"x10.5". Is this dimension on the stand sufficient for these and is the height okay? These are going to be my front speakers. Later I will add the matching center and potentially down the road add a sub as well. I do have a 2 year old so I'm a bit concerned about the speakers getting knocked off, but presently she doesn't bother the current setup so it's not a terrible concern. I do plan on packing the stands with a mix of shot, sand and kitty litter. I'm also looking at museum putty or velcro or some other medium to attach the speakers to the plates with. Finally I'm considering the Yamaha RX-V671, but am waiting on further reviews after it's released. Any comments/feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-19-2011, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I looked at a million stands for my Sierra 1s and hated most of them, with the exception of the Transdecos you are looking at, which were by far my #1 choice. I ended up going a different direction as I found some Lovan stands for half the price of the Transdecos and a better height for my needs. Built like tanks and are rated up to 100lbs, I filled them with shot and sand and I'm pretty happy. Anyway, the base plates on the Transdecos are bigger than my base plates, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Look into blu-tack as an adhesive and coupler. Here's a shot of my Lovans, although I wish they were all black like the Transdecos...

http://www.standsandmounts.com/brows...L2CB-6824.html

Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-19-2011, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 61
If I could, I would encourage you to look at the Yamaha 867 so that you get pre-outs in case you wish to add an amp down the road.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #4 of 5 Old 04-19-2011, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

If I could, I would encourage you to look at the Yamaha 867 so that you get pre-outs in case you wish to add an amp down the road.

That's the one thing about the RX-V671 that bothers me, but the RX-V671 is rated higher watts per channel while the 867 is lower - of course on Yamaha's site they show the stats of the 867's with 2 channels driven while the RX-V671 is only with 1 channel driven. Not sure why they didn't given numbers for the RX-V671 with 2 channels which also bothers me. I should note that I'm also interested in the Paradigm studio 20v5's. I'm hopefully checking those out at a shop locally in the coming weeks.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-19-2011, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 61
it seems as of late that yamaha receivers are lacking in the power department in general. bench testing seems to be showing their performance in multi-channel surround to be 50% of what they are rated.

I would suggest like I said, get the 867 as it has pre-outs for an external power amp, or look at Onkyo, Integra, Marantz, Denon, NAD, something thats pulling over 6 amps of current. JMO.

good luck in your search.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page