Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-21-2011, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi All,

I have a friend looking for a SS Speaker set up - satellites only as will getting another brand of sub like SVS, REL, BK Electric etc.

Both the Paradigm MilleniaOnes's & Monitor Audio Apex Speakers look very similar & both have got incredibly good reviews - reviewers stating pretty much that these are amongst the very the best sub-sat systems they have heard & both are respected brands.

I have noticed that the MilleniaOne's are all the same including the centre speaker (single driver & tweeter - no ports) but the Apex Speakers also have a port & the Centre Speaker is much larger with two drivers, a single tweeter & two ports - might this tip the balance in favour of the Apex's?

In the UK, 5 Paradigm MilleniaOne Satellites cost £1250 ($2070) & 4 MA Apex A10 Satellites + One Apex A40 Centre costing £1525 ($2530) so the difference is £275 ($455) between the two but I presume that might be down to the Apex A40 Centre being twice as big with double the drivers of the MilleniaOne Centre Speaker?

Room size is about W4m x D3.5m x H2.5m. Split will be about 70% movies & 30% Music.
If anyone has compared these two or can provide any insight, I would be most grateful - they both look quite similar & like I mentioned previously, both have received glowing reviews!

Bazzy!

Paradigm Millennia Reviews:

http://www.soundstagex.com/index.php...ystem&Itemid=6

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/home-...e.html?start=1

http://www.hometechtell.com/hometech...one-satellite/

Monitor Audio Apex Reviews:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/Monito...-System_review

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/aud...-917420/review

http://www.whathifi.com/review/monitor-audio-apex
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-21-2011, 10:00 AM

Liked: 10
Have never heard either but based on design, appearance, and experience with other products in both manufacturers lines I'd go with the Paradigms easily.

Obviously I'd much rather have a listen before making the final decision.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-21-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post

I have noticed that the MilleniaOne's are all the same including the centre speaker (single driver & tweeter - no ports) but the Apex Speakers also have a port & the Centre Speaker is much larger with two drivers, a single tweeter & two ports - might this tip the balance in favour of the Apex's?

the Paradigm are rear ported.

Did you see this review?

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/par...iaone_speakers

I haven't heard the MA so I can't comment on the difference

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #4 of 13 Old 01-20-2013, 08:21 AM

Hi to all, i would like to reborn this thread. I am standing befor the same problem. Unfortunatelly i have no chance to audition in Czech Republic. So i will have to buy it on eshop without any experience.
My question is for those who listened these speakers. Which should be better for my HT.
I have room about 3,5 x 5 m. So it is pretty small, i do not prefer loud listening, rather quality surround sound. I have another setup for Stereo listening. This is meant only as HT mostly playing movies.

Thank you for any helpful response.

Tomas
post #5 of 13 Old 01-20-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 250
The main thing you should consider is that the laws of physics still are in force.

You are talking about using satellite speakers as your main front speakers, and they are not adequate to the task.

As the Apex system review article says this is a "style-led' system choice. That is double-speak for "the system is chosen to look pretty at the expense of adequate sound".

The main drivers in your front L/R speakers should have drivers that are NO SMALLER than 5.5 inches ( 14 cm).

Your main front L/R speakers need to provide the main sound force of your system, along with a center speaker specially designed as a center speaker. A subwoofer is no substitute for adequate front speakers.

I suggest that you consider a pair of Monitor Audio Silver RX-1 speakers and a Monitor Audio Silver Center as the foundation for your system. Those should cost around $1500 total.

The satellites, for the other two speakers, are not as critical, and there are several Monitor Audio satellite speakers to choose from.

Buying speakers that are too small will not give you adequate sound for home theater.

You have to decide whether you want good sound or ornaments.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-21-2013, 12:12 PM

Thank you for your advice i know you r right. The thing is that actually I have 2 Loudspeakers AE Radiance 3 and SW velodyne. But as time goes on i realized that it will be madness to buy the rest wooden speakers due to their size !. The room is really small to fill the rest speakers with this series.

So the only issue is SIZE, I really like quality sound but in this case i have to make an exception.
So the question is still in the air " What speakers should i choose ? ".

Thank you

Tomas
post #7 of 13 Old 01-22-2013, 09:08 AM

Liked: 11
If you haven't checked the specs for the Apex speakers, you should. They are larger than the Paradigms and are equipped with a larger (5.5 inch) woofer. The Apex appears to be a more stylish offshoot of the Gold GR series.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-22-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumMan View Post

If you haven't checked the specs for the Apex speakers, you should. They are larger than the Paradigms and are equipped with a larger (5.5 inch) woofer. The Apex appears to be a more stylish offshoot of the Gold GR series.

I have checked the spec off course, but i suppose that the size doest mean better sound quality.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-01-2014, 05:51 PM

This post comes late to the party, but I have heard most of these speakers and thought I would weigh in. Cut to chase, I bought the Apex after long listening and decision making process. They sound similar to the MA silver series, but you can hang them on the wall.

I bought these speakers online sight unseen without hearing first, but based purchase on listening to Paradigms described above, B&W m1's, MA silver RX1, RX6, and Radius HD series, and various other brands like Vienna Acoustics and Definitive Technology.

I listened to the Paradigms with a NAD T777 receiver and they really didn't stand up well against the new B&W m1 satellites, at least in that room, compressing at higher volume. The B&W m1 sounded good, nice highs, but the bass was lacking without sub support, and I was concerned about the high crossover point for music.

I really liked the MA stand mount and floor standing speakers, and a trial of the bigger radius models was also impressive. Based on that I ordered the Apex and they are terrific, both the A40 and the A10 which I have both tried as fronts. Their dynamic envelope is much greater than my ears can handle, and the A40s perform like small floorstanders, with a 2.5 way crossover. Voices and horns are gorgeous, and drums and other loud sounds (like explosions) are convincing.

Tough to find these speakers in brick and mortar stores to demo, at least here in US.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-10-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquesrwhite View Post

This post comes late to the party, but I have heard most of these speakers and thought I would weigh in. Cut to chase, I bought the Apex after long listening and decision making process. They sound similar to the MA silver series, but you can hang them on the wall.

I bought these speakers online sight unseen without hearing first, but based purchase on listening to Paradigms described above, B&W m1's, MA silver RX1, RX6, and Radius HD series, and various other brands like Vienna Acoustics and Definitive Technology.

I listened to the Paradigms with a NAD T777 receiver and they really didn't stand up well against the new B&W m1 satellites, at least in that room, compressing at higher volume. The B&W m1 sounded good, nice highs, but the bass was lacking without sub support, and I was concerned about the high crossover point for music.

I really liked the MA stand mount and floor standing speakers, and a trial of the bigger radius models was also impressive. Based on that I ordered the Apex and they are terrific, both the A40 and the A10 which I have both tried as fronts. Their dynamic envelope is much greater than my ears can handle, and the A40s perform like small floorstanders, with a 2.5 way crossover. Voices and horns are gorgeous, and drums and other loud sounds (like explosions) are convincing.

Tough to find these speakers in brick and mortar stores to demo, at least here in US.

Did you audition these with or without subwoofer? I have the MilleniaOne CT, they sound great but the satellites definitely need the support of the included sub.

Alex
post #11 of 13 Old 05-11-2014, 07:45 AM

Yes, all of them. For even medium size room, only Apex come close to regular stand mount in impact, but even they are lacking some umph IMHO. My intention for this system was always 2.1/5.1 and the Apexes sound great with B&W PVD1 now that they are dialed in.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-11-2014, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Thanks for the reply. I'm using the paradigms as desktop apeakers for my pc, i guess thats why they don't compress at my normal listening level.

Alex
post #13 of 13 Old 05-12-2014, 01:55 PM

My guess is they are better than fine for that purpose.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page