BIC Question: PL-28 vs. FH6-LCR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-26-2011, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got the original BIC 5.1 setup with the HT-65 center channel and the Hsu sub. I've loved the horn tweeters and the setup was fine for my old condo but the vocals are getting lost in our new place (32x18x10 open room with glass on four sides.) The amp is up to the task and I don't really have the money right now for a entirely new system (the house that surrounds that new room is a real fixer upper), but I thought upgrading the center would be a reasonable stopgap.

So - the PL-28 is bigger and has better specs but seems to be part of a older set-up from BIC - it doesn't even appear to be featured on their website anymore. The FH6 appears to be the direction they're heading in and appears to have better quality mid-range parts but may not be as much of an upgrade from the ht-65 as far as presence in the room - it's also half the price.

So - and I could be wrong about some or all of the observations above - any advice on the differences between the 28 and the FH6? Would either one help with the immediate issue? Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-26-2011, 08:01 PM

Liked: 14
Your current center has higher sensitivity than th FH6-LCR. Only by 1 db but, it is still higher. I have Acoustech speakers but, I use a HT-88 for center so I don't have direct experience with their centers. I read a consumers review somewhere on the net(maybe Amazon) that stated that the PL-28 played louder then the FH6-LCR. The PL's are on the BIC site still. The PL-28 sensitivity is higher then your current speaker. Maybe check the Acoustech thread for some insight. Good luck.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-26-2011, 08:24 PM

PL-28 is a better center unless you don't want the 8 inch woofers even then getting the pl-26 would be a better choice then the FH6-LCR . i would call up bic to see though if there timbre matched to the older versions that you have ... It might just be a room issue as well were you satisfied with your current speakers before ?
post #4 of 14 Old 04-27-2011, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

yes, I was happy with them before, still somewhat happy but they don't have the same oomph to carry this, admittedly, extremely large space for a home theatre - but the immediate problem is the dialog not being able to carry the room which is causing wife and guest issues. I've done all I can with the amp and positioning, I think I just need more horsepower. It seems like there's some consensus that the pl-28 is still the stronger unit, even if BIC seems to be pushing their FH series more these days? I will check on the timbre match, though given that all three use the same horn tweeter, I have some hope.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-27-2011, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm88 View Post

So - the PL-28 is bigger and has better specs but seems to be part of a older set-up from BIC - it doesn't even appear to be featured on their website anymore.

As mentioned, it is still on their website. In fact, I just bought one 2wks ago . I still have a 52 & 62 CLR, as well as several other BIC speakers. And I will say it again...I believe they are one of the most underrated and best value speaker brands on the market, for decades (although I bought older models, but for much cheaper cost back then, that still are sold today).
post #6 of 14 Old 04-27-2011, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I think you might need to look at some other things in the equation, instead of just blaming the speaker itself. This lack of clarity in the center channel could be caused by acoustic problems in the room. It could also be caused by the larger room itself and how loud you are listening. You maybe listening loud enough to need dedicated amplification. I'm not really sure. You would need to elaborate more on your listening habits. This lack of center channel clarity could also be caused by your calibration and speaker placement. Is the speaker at the proper height? I hope it isn't inside a cabinet. The fact that the room is big and has a lot of glass is a red flag that you are most likely suffering from lots of reflection points in the room.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-27-2011, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

center is wide open, directly in front of main listening position 12' away, Denon receiver 130W with Audyssey room EQ - have run it several times with focus on the center without any real improvement. Certainly it's a difficult room, which is why, given money limits, I'm looking to brute-force the problem for the near term. Would go for an even bigger center but don't want to go for a different brand and loose the match with the L and R.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

..... Would go for an even bigger center but don't want to go for a different brand and loose the match with the L and R.

Don't get all wrapped up in timbre matching, as I believe that's as much a stumbling block... BS, snobby, audiophile worry...as much anything else these days. Beside, with processes like say, Audessey, this aspect can be even further diminished. Yes, it can definitely matter, but the variables of the degree are unending, and the emphasis is often overdone, imo.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-27-2011, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I had some time to look at your center channels specifications. That center channel is not small by any means and I really don't think it is the root of your problem at all. Just because you get an even bigger center channel does not mean that the sound will be clearer or louder. That center channel should be able to get the job done if you have it set up properly. How did Audyssey set it up? What crossover did it select for it?
post #10 of 14 Old 04-28-2011, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbx123 View Post

Don't get all wrapped up in timbre matching, as I believe that's as much a stumbling block... BS, snobby, audiophile worry...as much anything else these days. Beside, with processes like say, Audessey, this aspect can be even further diminished. Yes, it can definitely matter, but the variables of the degree are unending, and the emphasis is often overdone, imo.

appreciate that thought - still need to get my aud settings for ss - but on your thought, what is the best (greatest clarity, fullest sound) reasonably priced ($00 or less) center out there right now?
post #11 of 14 Old 04-28-2011, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

appreciate that thought - still need to get my aud settings for ss - but on your thought, what is the best (greatest clarity, fullest sound) reasonably priced ($00 or less) center out there right now?

Your current center channel maybe just fine. I don't have any ideas at the moment for a replacement. I'm interested to know what the crossover settings are. That might need to be adjusted. Especially if the crossover is set to low. That will cause exactly what you are explaining.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

appreciate that thought -...

...what is the best (greatest clarity, fullest sound) reasonably priced ($00 or less) center out there right now?

You're welcome. And I'm guessing "$00 or less" is a typo?
post #13 of 14 Old 04-28-2011, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

ah yes, less than $500 would be the "reasonably priced" at this point
post #14 of 14 Old 04-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

ah yes, less than $500 would be the "reasonably priced" at this point

Being a BIC owner, I'm guessing you're already aware that you don't need to go broke to own great speakers for reasonable prices. While I just chose and bought the PL 28 for my center in my "yet to be completed" combined system (HTS & 2CH) for future use, I came close to choosing this one instead: http://www.amazon.com/America-VK-6LC...1781916&sr=8-1 In fact, I am 90% sure I will be buying two of these to use for front width speakers, or for height...or maybe even for side surrounds. Hell, these speakers would probably make great front mains! ...but I've already got those covered .

As you know, there is no one "greatest" or "best"... It really depends on what you want to put together, your own preferences, etc... We all have our own biases, and even consensus is often somewhat false, or derived from the myopic world that is this forum itself. You'll find what's right for you.

EDIT: And I almost forgot, the Amazon specs are incorrect (way off). Here are the correct specs, straight from BIC's site:
http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.p...pe=6&spkrID=97 And they are wall flush/wall mountable and only 6" deep, another reason or two that I'm probably going to use them. But at least you can see that they can be bought for $200, not BIC's stated MSRP of $499 . And fwiw, I never trust Amazon's specs on stuff like this. Heck, reviews sometimes aren't even for the same product, but just an "alike" model!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page