Martin Logan Motion 10 as a center channel??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 04-30-2011, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

going to be running a 110" projector room with a 7.2 setup...Martin Logan Motion 10's for the fronts, and then four ML Motion 2's for the surrounds. Twin Velodyne VDR-12's for the subs.

Was going to get the Motion 6 for the center....but the Motion 10's are on sale again and I can get one more to use as my center channel for the same price as the Motion 6.

Would this be better/worse than just using the Motion 6? From the specs that I can find the 10 should be a far better speaker, and can produce the same range. I would need to place it horizontally as well, which I assume would not be a problem. My thinking was that maybe the 6 would be underpowered to balance with the 10's, and probably the 8 would be a better fit, but the 8 is not in my price range, so I thought maybe a 3rd Motion 10.

Advice???

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-30-2011, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Using three of the exact same speakers across the front is known to be the best way to go. This creates space issues for most people because you need a lot of room for a tall vertical center speaker. Or a screen to hide it behind. I would say do it, except for the fact than you said you where going to lay the center Motion 10 horizontal. I don't think this is a good idea. If you need to do this then I would go with the Motion 6 for the center channel. If you can use 3 Motion 10's vertically across the front then do that.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-30-2011, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

Using three of the exact same speakers across the front is known to be the best way to go. This creates space issues for most people because you need a lot of room for a tall vertical center speaker. Or a screen to hide it behind. I would say do it, except for the fact than you said you where going to lay the center Motion 10 horizontal. I don't think this is a good idea. If you need to do this then I would go with the Motion 6 for the center channel. If you can use 3 Motion 10's vertically across the front then do that.

Is there a reason I can't run it horizontally? I was thinking to have it under the screen...I could make some kind of a horizontal stand for it so it wouldn't be right on the floor if that would help?
post #4 of 16 Old 04-30-2011, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HingisFan View Post

Is there a reason I can't run it horizontally? I was thinking to have it under the screen...I could make some kind of a horizontal stand for it so it wouldn't be right on the floor if that would help?

There are very scientific reasons why a speaker is not supposed to be placed on it's side and it is more than it being to close to the floor. It has to do with imaging, sound dispersion, and more. You should look up some of these terms before you think about doing this. A speaker is more complicated than you think. Mainly it's cabinet and the way the drivers are placed in it is a science.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-03-2011, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Soo....I emailed Martin Logan and they emailed back saying not to use the 10 as a center at all, even if vertical. They said to go with the Motion 6, but I can't figure out why......anyone tried Motion 10 as a center?
post #6 of 16 Old 05-03-2011, 06:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:

Soo....I emailed Martin Logan and they emailed back saying not to use the 10 as a center at all, even if vertical. They said to go with the Motion 6, but I can't figure out why......anyone tried Motion 10 as a center?

Who would be better to tell you, than the company?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #7 of 16 Old 05-04-2011, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Who would be better to tell you, than the company?

I thought maybe a ssales rep was just looking at their sheet and seeing that the 10 isn't categorized as a center.

If experienced guys on here are saying 3 matched towers are the best for your front array, I woudl tend to trust them more than a sales rep from ML.

But....I found the Motion 8 in the US (I am in Canada), for the same price as I paid for the 10, so I think I might go with the 8 center. Then I don't have to worry about the vertical clearance to the bottom of my screen either.
post #8 of 16 Old 05-04-2011, 04:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:

But....I found the Motion 8 in the US (I am in Canada), for the same price as I paid for the 10, so I think I might go with the 8 center. Then I don't have to worry about the vertical clearance to the bottom of my screen either.

That will make a good system for you.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #9 of 16 Old 05-04-2011, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

You most likely got some stock answer from someone is not a techniician and is manning the email inbox:

http://www.audioholics.com/education...peaker-designs

There is scientific data to backup why a matching vertical speaker is preferred. If you read through the dedicated home theater thread where some of the experts like Dennis Erskine post you will see why folks are builiding false walls to try and hide their vertical speakers behind them. It was a priority for me as well (building my theater now).
post #10 of 16 Old 05-04-2011, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info....gonna go with the Motion 8 though. Got a 2nd email back from the girl at ML and she seems to know their products well. Also, I won't have to worry about putting my screen up so high to get over the top edge of the tower.
post #11 of 16 Old 05-04-2011, 05:40 PM

Well, if your projection screen was acoustically transparent(which have existed since The Jazz Singer...), you wouldn't have to lay the speaker sideways.
post #12 of 16 Old 05-04-2011, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 340
If you can place a tower vertically in the center that would be WAY better than the motion 8. But if not the Motion C is ML's best center, as well as it should be for $500 list.

Gene

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #13 of 16 Old 05-05-2011, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

I can get the Motion 8 for $200 less than the C. Looking at the specs on ML site they are not much different. I think the wood finish is the biggest difference. Going with the 8. Thanks guys!
post #14 of 16 Old 05-05-2011, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:

I can get the Motion 8 for $200 less than the C. Looking at the specs on ML site they are not much different. I think the wood finish is the biggest difference. Going with the 8. Thanks guys!

Based on a review I read, there is more difference than the specs indicate. Google reviews for the motion series.

Gene

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #15 of 16 Old 05-05-2011, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Based on a review I read, there is more difference than the specs indicate. Google reviews for the motion series.

Gene
I've read several review on the Motion series, but havent seen any reviews that include the Motion C. All the reviews on anything in the entire Motion series though have been fantastic, so I am sure I will be happy with my setup with the 8.
post #16 of 16 Old 05-03-2013, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 36
So far I don't like my motion c. Not sure if its just me or what. But I have 2 extra motion 10s laying around night try to lay them on their side facing each other and use as a center channel
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page