Speaker upgrades - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-04-2011, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings! It never ceases to amaze me the amount of knowledge on these forums with regard to audio and video. I've spent several weeks just reading about all the different options out there. But now it's time for me to look at upgrading my system. Here's what I currently have:

Room 11x15
Onkyo TX-NR808
Infinity SM215 x 2
Sony 5.1 system (old!), sub is only 35W

Here's a picture of the front setup

The SM215's are kinda old and bulky, so the wife has vetoed their use in our current setup. So I'm looking to replace them with something slimmer and more up to date. I like the Jamo S 606 HCS 3 but can only find the dark apple, which again, has been vetoed by the wife.

With a budget of around $500, I'm trying to decide if it would be better to just start with a decent 3.1 system then worry about upgrading the surround later. If I were to go that route, what would be the best bang for the buck system in that price range? Primary usage would be movie/TV, with a little Pandora music. Any help is GREATLY appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2011, 09:48 AM

Ouch, that's a tight price range and a painful system you got there.

My advice would be to get a nice sub, probably the HSU STF-2, and then see if you can get a LCR, or even just the LR for now.

The STF-2 will drop you $350 + shipping. You will find the most improvement from buying a sub first. The only other sub I can think of off the top of my head that would be worth purchasing in that price range would be the BIC PL-200.

Or, you can move your budget up and spend the $500 on a great sub, and you won't ever have to think about upgrading your sub for 15 - 20 years.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
You have a solid receiver to build off of. Since you're not used to having a strong sub, IMHO I would first focus on the front three and then over time as budget allows add the surrounds and sub. Surrounds do not need to be expensive since they are for background sound. You could even use your old Infinities as a temporary solution as the surrounds - keeping them in the room will have your wife pushing You to buy new surrounds ; ). There are a few recent speaker forum questions out there asking in the same budget range with good options noted.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 419
If your wife approves of the looks of the Pioneer FS51 speakers at Best Buy you can get a pair for $199. The matching center C21 is $79. That'll leave you $200 for a subwoofer which isn't to hard to find.

FS51
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ers/SP-FS51-LR
C21
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...peakers/SP-C21

Other options would be the Polk Monitor60 and CS1/CS2 center
Monitor 60, $117ea with promo code
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-206-_-Product
CS1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-210-_-Product

That'll run you about $320 for all 3 speakers.

Afro GT
Old 05-04-2011, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout's staff View Post

You have a solid receiver to build off of. Since you're not used to having a strong sub, IMHO I would first focus on the front three and then over time as budget allows add the surrounds and sub. Surrounds do not need to be expensive since they are for background sound. You could even use your old Infinities as a temporary solution as the surrounds - keeping them in the room will have your wife pushing You to buy new surrounds ; ). There are a few recent speaker forum questions out there asking in the same budget range with good options noted.

I agree with Scout's staff. Start off by focusing on your main three speakers. Fxspec06 makes a great point as to how important a subwoofer is. Are you looking for floorstanding speakers or bookshelves?
Old 05-04-2011, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout's staff View Post

Yea, that's what I was thinking. The little Sony's could function as surrounds also and would allow me to spend more on the LCR and sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

If your wife approves of the looks of the Pioneer FS51 speakers at Best Buy you can get a pair for $199. The matching center C21 is $79. That'll leave you $200 for a subwoofer which isn't to hard to find.

FS51
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ers/SP-FS51-LR
C21
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...peakers/SP-C21

Other options would be the Polk Monitor60 and CS1/CS2 center
Monitor 60, $117ea with promo code
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-206-_-Product
CS1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-210-_-Product

That'll run you about $320 for all 3 speakers.

I'll ask her about the Pioneers, but I'm digging the Monitor 60's. What's the difference between the CS1 and CS2? Is the extra $70 worth it for the CS2?

For the sub, I see the BIC F12 is commonly recommended. But would the V1220 be too much for my room? I like the V1220 simply for the down firing sub as it wouldn't be exposed to my little girls exploring.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

I agree with Scout's staff. Start off by focusing on your main three speakers. Fxspec06 makes a great point as to how important a subwoofer is. Are you looking for floorstanding speakers or bookshelves?

I would like floor standers, but I see they can be quite a bit more expensive. So I'm not solidly behind them. If I could be convinced that bookshelves would give me the kind of sound I'm looking for, I would consider them. I would just need to work out where to place them.

I'm going to work on a sketchup of my room so I can use it to help plan speaker placement.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:27 PM

Polk CS1 vs CS2 (and kinda likewise for the 10/20)

CS1 is 5 1/2 inch woofers....
CS2 is 6 1/2 inch woofers....

Those use the same tweeter in the Monitor line...

The CS10/20 is the same difference as above, but have the larger tweeter found in the TSi Polks.

If you think the V1220 might be a "bit much", there is always the V1020

If you buy either one...you could always Craigslist it as a local sale for $25 less, then buy the other one. The $25 loss would be better than shipping it back, unless you bought it somewhere with free return shipping.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundedo View Post

I'll ask her about the Pioneers, but I'm digging the Monitor 60's. What's the difference between the CS1 and CS2? Is the extra $70 worth it for the CS2?

I don't have a CS2, I have a CS10, but I will say..

YES. THE DIFFERENCE IS WORTH IT!!!!

I regret not getting the CS20..
Old 05-04-2011, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:

For the sub, I see the BIC F12 is commonly recommended. But would the V1220 be too much for my room? I like the V1220 simply for the down firing sub as it wouldn't be exposed to my little girls exploring.

There is an open box CS2 for $78. Or wait for a new CS2 to come on sale. It shouldn't be more than a week or so. Buy the Monitor 60's now at their bargain price and get the CS2 later.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...212R-_-Product

Afro GT
Old 05-04-2011, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

There is an open box CS2 for $78. Or wait for a new CS2 to come on sale. It shouldn't be more than a week or so. Buy the Monitor 60's now at their bargain price and get the CS2 later.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...212R-_-Product

Thanks for the heads up!

Let's say I go with the Monitor 60's and CS2, what would a good matching surround be? Do they have to be Polks? If not, what specs should I get to match?

For the sub, I'm going to hunt around for the V1020. But the surrounds and sub will be later down the road.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:50 PM

You "should" stay with-in the Polk Monitor line...

If you have the floor space...
Monitor 50
If not..
Monitor 30.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundedo View Post

Thanks for the heads up!

Let's say I go with the Monitor 60's and CS2, what would a good matching surround be? Do they have to be Polks? If not, what specs should I get to match?

For the sub, I'm going to hunt around for the V1020. But the surrounds and sub will be later down the road.

No the surrounds don't have to match. It is only really recommend that all speakers match 100% is when you are planning on doing and only really want to do is listen to multi-channel music.

For TV/MOVIEs/GAMEs Monitor 60's and a CS2 up front with Monitor 30's or Emotiva ERD-1 surrounds or another set of speakers you want to use as surrounds. TV movies and games 75% of the audio is from the front 3 so its less of a worry
Old 05-04-2011, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Great! Thanks again for the info guys. Time to start scouring the net for my deals

This is what I'm going to be going for:

Polk Monitor 60's
Polk CS2 center
BIC V1020

I'll add the surrounds later as I said.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:21 PM

Awesome decision.

I always want to recommend the Monitor / TSi series.. but I never want to be that guy O.O

They speak for themselves.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post

Awesome decision.

I always want to recommend the Monitor / TSi series.. but I never want to be that guy O.O

They speak for themselves.

Don't worry I am that guy. The TSi's not so much cause I prefer the Monitor-series
Old 05-24-2011, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

I'm so psyched! The speakers are on order!

From Newegg:

Polk Monitor 60 SII x 2
Polk CS2 SII

$339 w/free shipping

From BLT:

BIC V-1020

$152 w/free shipping

Woooohoooooo!!!!!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to post back here and thank everyone for their help in choosing speakers. I have the Polks and BIC set up and they sound great! I just need to get a longer RCA for the sub so I can put it where I want.

The improvement in sound is phenomenal. I'm also glad I opted for the V-1020. It's MORE than enough for my little room

Again, thanks to everyone here!