Back to me
Nuance, thanks for the info and questions. Vailvon, thanks for confirming that you like the CM9s.
Originally Posted by Nuance
Some questions for you:
- How big is your listening room?
- Will you cross over to subwoofers?
- Will this be a dual purpose HT and music system?
- What is the rest of your system comprised of?
- How loud do you listen?
Room: 14' x 26' but with no wall on the left front (opening to dining room) running 10'
Listening distance 14' from front wall
Medium live-ness (wood floors with area rug filling front of listening area)
Subwoofers: I seem to prefer more bass coming from the fronts at least compared with the combo of smaller high-pass speakers requiring cross over at 120-160Hz. Also philosophically I'd like to pass as much base through full-range fronts as possible. I will probably keep my Def Tech sub at least for a while to see if/how it integrates with more FR fronts.
60/40 music/HT 5.1 (but HT "sound" is not a top priority)
System: Currently have an older Yamaha RX-v750, Yamaha CD/DVD, PS3, but looking to eventually upgrade A/V to higher end mainstream, Anthem/Sherwood, or NAD etc. Probably will not get into separate power amps, boutique tube amps etc.
Volume: moderate everyday, generally < 90dB (partly because I'm not inspired to crank it) and rarely >100 dB
Other relevant info:
- In my space ideally speakers would be no more than 2' from front wall and 10' apart
- Smaller form factor is better (hence my interest in the PSB T2s - plus they are elegant looking (to me)). The CM9s would appear as monoliths in my space and are probably as big as I would consider.
- My current focus is on speakers with other components addressed later
- For HT I'd probably go with a reasonably matched center (but again form factor is important - not BIG, i.e. <7-8" high). The rears I'm not as concerned with and could play with later.
- Due to playing loud amplified guitars or bad genes my hearing above 8kHz is pretty much gone
- Music: mostly rock/prog/alt/electronica, some jazz
I'm in Phoenix AZ, and small audio dealers seem to be all but exinct, but I plan to do a lot of listening over the next few months to get a feel for what I like.