Large Bookshelf Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-13-2011, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I am looking for large bookshelf speakers for my garage. These days no one makes bookshelf speakers with 10" or 12" woofers and even if they did they are expensive.

So I am looking for older speakers like 80's, 90's period as they use to make large speakers. They are called bookshelf but they can be floor standing and they are not too tall like the floor standing speakers these days.

I am looking for some good recommendations for such large used speakers. I cant put a sub in my garage and it also gets expensive. Hence this option of large speakers. Though it is for my garage, I would like good sounding speakers. I also equate heavy speakers to good sound quality since a thick cabinet with a lot of padding reduces cabinet vibration. I would like 10 or 12" to get a decent bass as I will not have a sub. Budget is some $400/pair. Since I am looking at 15-20 yr old speakers, I guess that budget should be good enough.

I was looking at some DCM speakers with 10" woofer on ebay but they were all local pick up. Any other recommendation is appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-13-2011, 12:35 PM

Liked: 10
I dont know if this is the size you are looking for but you could probably pick up a decent pair of old Realistic Mach II's ... also go by Optimus Mach II... they have a 15 inch woofer matched with a mid and tweeter and are not too tall. I have a pair sitting in my furnace room and they sound decent.

Could probably pick up a used pair for like 40 or 50 bucks. May be bigger than your looking for though.

Going Deaf.... And Lovin' It
post #3 of 10 Old 05-13-2011, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Look for some Polk SDA's. Those bad boys have some good 10" passives and sound awesome. It might take you some time to find them in the 400 dollar range but it would be worth it.

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

post #4 of 10 Old 05-13-2011, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I really like speakers with large drivers. Most of my main system has large drivers. That's not to common anymore. You could look for a pair of used Cerwin Vegas. One thing I don't think your considering is that large drivers can be problematic as far as power needs go. If you go larger than a speaker with a 10'' driver most receivers don't do that great of a job powering a speaker full range. Dedicated amplification is often needed.

I have had both a medium sized pair of towers running full range in my garage, as well as two small bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer. There is no question which sounds better. The two small bookshelf speakers with the sub sound a lot better. Especially in the bass department. How large is your garage? If it's not that large you might be able to buy a subwoofer new, as well as a pair of bookshelf speakers.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-13-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Amazon still sells Cerwin Vegas with giant woofers. Also Deftech makes a SM350 and SM450 8" and 10" respectively with passive radiators to boot. Not that expensive or very big.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #6 of 10 Old 05-13-2011, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

I am looking for large bookshelf speakers for my garage. These days no one makes bookshelf speakers with 10" or 12" woofers and even if they did they are expensive.

I was looking at some DCM speakers with 10" woofer on ebay but they were all local pick up. Any other recommendation is appreciated. Thanks

Try going back to Ebay - do a search under consumer electronics -
for Sansui speakers. I wish something had worked out on DCM, I
remember them, and liked them better than Cerwin Vega.
Good Luck.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #7 of 10 Old 05-13-2011, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I think Ebay could be to expensive on large speakers due to shipping charges for large speakers. Unless the OP can luck out on a deal close to his home and do a local pick up. Craigslist would be an even better place to keep any eye out for large speakers in your area. I scored a great deal on a pair of large subwoofers that where to good to pass up. I got about $1000 worth of gear for $200. The seller had them listed for $300 in the add. He said since I wanted both of them he would lower the price. I bet I won't luck into a deal that good again. The subwoofers where less than a year old barely used. They work just fine.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-13-2011, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

I think Ebay could be to expensive on large speakers due to shipping charges for large speakers. Unless the OP can luck out on a deal close to his home and do a local pick up. Craigslist would be an even better place to keep any eye out for large speakers in your area. less than a year old barely used. They work just fine.

That is a good point - and the cost of the product will have a lot
to do with it. I did score big on a pair of bookshelf speakers for
$15.50 > The shipping was a little expensive - however, the end
result was under $80.

The Sansui prices are looking good on Ebay, and you have a chance
for a good deal with shipping.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #9 of 10 Old 05-13-2011, 03:08 PM

Liked: 10
You can filter Ebay for distance as well. Besides...if you find something in the general direction as a cool place to visit(I went on a 4000 mile road trip once for a pair of Apogee and a pair of BIC TPR).

On that road trip, The Apogee were in the north neck of Idaho and the BIC were in the "no man's land" SW Utah. Rented a trailer my Miata could pull and took a weeks vacation. Went to Mt. Rushmore, Bonneville and Reno(hate Vegas).
post #10 of 10 Old 05-13-2011, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Thanks a lot for all the feedback. Keep it coming :-)

My garage is 21'x21'. I am trying not to spend too much money. I am planning on using my old Yamaha RX-V795a which I feel would have a lot more power than the newer AVR's as the new AVR's have more bells and whistles but cheap put on the power. I could get a cheap pro amp as noise is not a main concern as it will be in the garage when I am doing some cleaning or yard work.

Yeah getting a sub and small speakers might be the solution. I do have some small speakers. Ans yes the shipping for these large speakers is a lot. like $85-100 on ebay/Audiogon. Will see what works out. Will check out the local CL.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page