Any thoughts on axiom audio speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 321 Old 05-25-2011, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
eas looking at axiom audio speakers , specifically either a bookshelf or possible one of their on wall speakers for front left and right and center. Would anyone have any experince withthem? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 321 Old 05-25-2011, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

If this review is any indication of the current builds, I would steer clear my friend.
https://www.skiingninja.com/Articles.asp?ID=173
I myself was intrigued buy them, almost bought a couple of there big towers.. But I went with my gut and went with paradigm.
You also have too ask if there lack of presence on AVS is any indication of quality (or lack thereof)

My first DIY project. A dual, dual opposed setup

www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1345494
post #3 of 321 Old 05-25-2011, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Actually, I had done a search on here and could not find much..I wasnt sure if my search was not that well worded ( Searched for Axion Audio) or just not much to say on the speakers. I was intrigued by them simply becasue I could put them on a wall over two doors. I have placement problems in my room for front speakers. Currently I have a a left and right speaker in a wall unit down low where a drawer would be with a cloth covering. Not the best spot. I was thinking of possibly def tech and seeing if they could be hung from ceioling tilted down. (8 foot ceiling). Thanks for the response.
LL
post #4 of 321 Old 05-25-2011, 08:17 AM
NBR

post #5 of 321 Old 05-25-2011, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile34 View Post
If this review is any indication of the current builds, I would steer clear my friend.
I myself was intrigued buy them, almost bought a couple of there big towers.. But I went with my gut and went with paradigm.
You also have too ask if there lack of presence on AVS is any indication of quality (or lack thereof)
Yikes... Thanks for posting that. Axiom has some explaining to do....
post #6 of 321 Old 05-25-2011, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Thanks for the article. I was actually deciding between these and some Paradigm Monitors...looks like Axiom is out of the running.
post #7 of 321 Old 05-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Lol I love my monitors. Not as flashy as the studios, but everyone who hears them is just as impressed as I.
I am glad I could help, I just do not want someone wasting there, (in my case at least) hard earned money.
But I cannot take full credit for the link, I found it in a post by fellow AVSer mojomike. So he should get props!

My first DIY project. A dual, dual opposed setup

www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1345494
post #8 of 321 Old 05-25-2011, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

Lol I love my monitors. Not as flashy as the studios, but everyone who hears them is just as impressed as I.
I am glad I could help, I just do not want someone wasting there, (in my case at least) hard earned money.
But I cannot take full credit for the link, I found it in a post by fellow AVSer mojomike. So he should get props!

I love the white mid woofer cones, it just makes look so clean. Hopefully I will be going to demo some Titans or Monitor 7's this weekend.
post #9 of 321 Old 05-25-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I had some M22Tis for a bit.

As the waterfall plots have shown, confirmed what I heard, and that is the drivers do exhibit extended notes in the midrange and I found this unbearable.
post #10 of 321 Old 05-25-2011, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Owned a pair of Axioms and A/B them against a few others. They are ear-splitting bright w/ an ultra thin midrange. I thought my Wilson 5.1s were bright! Not compared to these speakers.

Axiom is up there with AV123 for the most overrated speakers in existence.

-Brian

Brian R. Smith
post #11 of 321 Old 05-26-2011, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I was 99% convinced to go with the QS8s for surround duty, but this thread has me backing off a bit. I do like the dispersed sound for the surrounds. How do the QS8s compare to the Definitive Technology BP series (BP1.2x, BP2x, BPX)? I've found some decent deals on those which puts them a little cheaper than the QS8s. But, I don't want to skimp on a few $ if the Axioms are better. I do have highly sensitive fronts (CHT SHO-10), which may factor into which surrounds might work best.
post #12 of 321 Old 05-26-2011, 09:23 AM

Liked: 11
As with everything else on the web .... opinions vary.

It just depends on the weight that you give the few opinions given here versus many satisfied actual OWNERS:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=axiom

In the end it's all up to YOUR ears in your listening environment and AXIOM has a 30 day return policy.

Bill C
post #13 of 321 Old 05-26-2011, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCinLR View Post

As with everything else on the web .... opinions vary.

It just depends on the weight that you give the few opinions given here versus many satisfied actual OWNERS:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=axiom

In the end it's all up to YOUR ears in your listening environment and AXIOM has a 30 day return policy.

Bill C

Did you read the article? These are not just opinions, they are facts. The measurements are there for all to see. If the measurements were taken inaccurately then Axiom should have disputed them. If the crossover is not as cheap as was found then Axiom should dispute it. Not sure how Axiom can dispute the lack or polyfill or bracing since the proof is in the pictures. The fact that Axiom has not denied the allegations is pretty telling, no?

Does the 30 day return policy cover shipping?
post #14 of 321 Old 05-26-2011, 11:39 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jholzbauer View Post
I was 99% convinced to go with the QS8s for surround duty, but this thread has me backing off a bit. I do like the dispersed sound for the surrounds. How do the QS8s compare to the Definitive Technology BP series (BP1.2x, BP2x, BPX)? I've found some decent deals on those which puts them a little cheaper than the QS8s. But, I don't want to skimp on a few $ if the Axioms are better. I do have highly sensitive fronts (CHT SHO-10), which may factor into which surrounds might work best.
Audioholics (I think it was Tom Andy doing the review) said that Emotiva's erd-1 surrounds were much better sounding than the qs8's but I can't find the specific article where he said that now. The erd's are also about $400 per pair, vs I think $550 for the qs8s.
post #15 of 321 Old 05-26-2011, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Axiom has a pretty big marketing machine. I see their ads EVERYWHERE on all the AV sites. And the critic reviews all seem universally excellent. However the customer testimonials on this site I've noticed have a lot of people mentioning extended decay of highs...and these are validated by measurements...I don't think this is a coincidence.

FWIW this does not make Axiom speakers a terrible product. I just think in the same price range there are better speakers that objectively measure better.
post #16 of 321 Old 05-26-2011, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post
Axiom has a pretty big marketing machine. I see their ads EVERYWHERE on all the AV sites. And the critic reviews all seem universally excellent. However the customer testimonials on this site I've noticed have a lot of people mentioning extended decay of highs...and these are validated by measurements...I don't think this is a coincidence.

FWIW this does not make Axiom speakers a terrible product. I just think in the same price range there are better speakers that objectively measure better.
Reminds me a little of Bose if you ask me
post #17 of 321 Old 05-26-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs markie View Post

Audioholics (I think it was Tom Andy doing the review) said that Emotiva's erd-1 surrounds were much better sounding than the qs8's but I can't find the specific article where he said that now. The erd's are also about $400 per pair, vs I think $550 for the qs8s.

The ERD's are a great value. Just keep in mind that these are rated at 4ohms (although I would think a receiver that is not rated to handle 4ohm would be okay since these are surrounds vs mains).
post #18 of 321 Old 05-26-2011, 02:59 PM

This is Brent from Axiom Audio. Though we rarely interject in forums, even our own; it seemed relevant in this case to explain a bit of the background with Skiing Ninja.* Skiing Ninja first came to our attention when they showed up on the Axiom Forum trying to sell an “upgraded” cross-over for our M22 model for almost the cost of the entire M22 speaker.* Even though this is a blatant violation of one of the few Axiom Forum rules we decided not to dwell on that point but rather to get involved and asked them to send us a pair of their “upgraded” x-overs for testing.* This offer was met by an initial acceptance then followed by many various excuses as to why they could not follow through.* As would be expected this laundry list of excuses piqued the interest in some of our board members and one of them sent us a pair of these x-overs they had purchased.* We were hoping that these x-overs would show some sort of benefit or at worst not be a detriment as it was sort of cool to have aftermarket products available for our products.* (It also meant the purchaser of the Skiing Ninja x-overs would also have to be the purchaser of a pair of M22s which is always a good thing)

We conducted a series of measurements on the Skiing Ninja x-overs and also subjected them to a double blind listening test.* Both the measurements and the double blind listening tests revealed some basic flaws with their “upgraded” design.* As a result the Skiing Ninja x-overs lost the double blind listen test to the production x-overs.*

After this incident Skiing Ninja became quite belligerent towards Axiom and started bashing us at every opportunity, which is apparent in earlier referenced Skiing Ninja “review” of our M80s.* This “review” contains numerous factual errors and unfounded conclusions.* One of their major complaints is centered around what is known as comb filtering.* This is a subject we understand thoroughly as we design speakers that exhibit this exact phenomenon; on purpose.* We have published a few articles on the subject of comb filtering and have done extensive research into it.*
I invite you to read for yourself:
Axiom newsletter article by Alan Lofft on comb filtering:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/archives/may2009.html

Forum post by Ian Colquhoun on comb filtering:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubb...=284865&page=4

Axiom owners’ comments on their M80s:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/customreviewstowers.html#m80

Brent Tombari | Axiom Audio Expert | http://www.axiomaudio.com | 1.866.244.8796
Follow us on Facebook! http://facebook.com/AxiomAudio
post #19 of 321 Old 05-26-2011, 04:01 PM

Liked: 23
I was always interested in the fact that Axiom owners stated that Axioms were comparable with the Paradigm Studio line.
I recently went from the Monitor line to the Studio line and I fell in love with the studio's the first time I heard them. I've now completed my home theatre system with the Studio line and was thinking about running a pair of bookshelves in another room with a stereo receiver. Not being a rich man I decided to give the Axioms a try. So I ended up ordering a pair of M3's as I thought they would compare to the Studio 20's. It says on the Axiom site that they recommend the M3's if you are not running a sub. I bought a Cambridge Audio stereo receiver for my secondary system in another room. My Axioms arrived on Friday and I was anxious to get them hooked up and listen to them.
Anyway, I took them out of the box and I thought they are not too bad looking, obviously not compared with the Studio 20's, but not bad.
There is a major weight difference between the Studio's and the Axioms, 12.7 lbs. for the Axioms versus 24 lbs for the Paradigm. That is a big difference.
I hooked them up in my livingroom so I could compare them side by side with the Studio 20's ( Picture attached), I started playing the Axiom first which were set as B speakers. I played a couple of songs, and I thought not too bad. Then I made the mistake of hitting the A button, wow, what a difference, they were no where near comparable, you could do a sighted test a blind test, wouldn't matter, no way Axioms could beat Paradigm. I then thought maybe I needed a second opinion, and asked the wife to listen to both. Her response was "I told you not to buy into the hype". I asked her what she thought we should do at this point and she said send them back and get another pair of Studio's for the secondary system.
I sent them back Monday, the following Thursday I went to my local retailer and ended up purchasing the Studio 10's. It was easily the right move.
The M3's really sounded like they had a blanket over them. I am not sure how to explain the bass, it was there, but very weak. The Paradigm definately have some oomph to them.
It really goes to show you when you compare something side by side in your own home you really hear the truth.
Anyway, I am not here to put down Axiom, just giving my opinion. If you find my comments negative toward the Axioms, it is only negative when in comparison to the Studio's.
I have never paid full price for my Paradigm products from my local retailer, but I did have to ask myself if it is worth the extra money for the Studio's, the easy answer for me is absolutely yes, worth every extra penny.
My wife still calls me an dumbass for buying into the "similarly good" premise. To sum it up, I love my Paradigm Studio's and I learned a lesson.
Once you find the perfect speaker for you, stop looking!
LL
post #20 of 321 Old 05-26-2011, 04:01 PM

Liked: 14
Interesting design choice regarding the comb filtering. Thank you for posting Brent.

John1400, the I heard the M3s and I thought they had the same issue as the M22s I owned. They are described having no crossover for the woofer and allowed to roll off naturally. This sounds very strange indeed, as I understand aluminum mids typically exhibit ringing in the higher registers if not crossed over properly.
post #21 of 321 Old 05-26-2011, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1400 View Post

I was always interested in the fact that Axiom owners stated that Axioms were comparable with the Paradigm Studio line.
I recently went from the Monitor line to the Studio line and I fell in love with the studio's the first time I heard them. I've now completed my home theatre system with the Studio line and was thinking about running a pair of bookshelves in another room with a stereo receiver. Not being a rich man I decided to give the Axioms a try. So I ended up ordering a pair of M3's as I thought they would compare to the Studio 20's. It says on the Axiom site that they recommend the M3's if you are not running a sub. I bought a Cambridge Audio stereo receiver for my secondary system in another room. My Axioms arrived on Friday and I was anxious to get them hooked up and listen to them.
Anyway, I took them out of the box and I thought they are not too bad looking, obviously not compared with the Studio 20's, but not bad.
There is a major weight difference between the Studio's and the Axioms, 12.7 lbs. for the Axioms versus 24 lbs for the Paradigm. That is a big difference.
I hooked them up in my livingroom so I could compare them side by side with the Studio 20's ( Picture attached), I started playing the Axiom first which were set as B speakers. I played a couple of songs, and I thought not too bad. Then I made the mistake of hitting the A button, wow, what a difference, they were no where near comparable, you could do a sighted test a blind test, wouldn't matter, no way Axioms could beat Paradigm. I then thought maybe I needed a second opinion, and asked the wife to listen to both. Her response was "I told you not to buy into the hype". I asked her what she thought we should do at this point and she said send them back and get another pair of Studio's for the secondary system.
I sent them back Monday, the following Thursday I went to my local retailer and ended up purchasing the Studio 10's. It was easily the right move.
The M3's really sounded like they had a blanket over them. I am not sure how to explain the bass, it was there, but very weak. The Paradigm definately have some oomph to them.
It really goes to show you when you compare something side by side in your own home you really hear the truth.
Anyway, I am not here to put down Axiom, just giving my opinion. If you find my comments negative toward the Axioms, it is only negative when in comparison to the Studio's.
I have never paid full price for my Paradigm products from my local retailer, but I did have to ask myself if it is worth the extra money for the Studio's, the easy answer for my is absolutely yes, worth every extra penny.
My wife still calls me an dumbass for buying into the "similarly good" premise. To sum it up, I love my Paradigm Studio's and I learned a lesson.
Once you find the perfect speaker for you, stop looking!

The M3 is not comparable to the Studio 20. If you read the forums, it is the M22 that has been compared to older Studio 20s. The M3 and M22 are completely different animals.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #22 of 321 Old 05-26-2011, 04:11 PM

I actually did read the same thing about the crossover, but of course I read it after the fact.
post #23 of 321 Old 05-26-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

The M3 is not comparable to the Studio 20. If you read the forums, it is the M22 that has been compared to older Studio 20s. The M3 and M22 are completely different animals.

I know most speaker manufacturers try to keep the same signature of sound across the board through each line.
So it really makes no sense to me that a manufacturer would make one speaker out of a line sound so much different than the rest.
That is not good for timber matching.
I am sure some people would like to use M3's as surround speakers. And again the Axoim site itself did say that M3 was the best choice if you are NOT using a sub.
Plus the M3 and the Studio 20 have the same driver configuration.
It is just my opinion but it makes sense to me.
LL
post #24 of 321 Old 05-26-2011, 06:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1400 View Post

I know most speaker manufacturers try to keep the same signature of sound across the board through each line.
So it really makes no sense to me that a manufacturer would make one speaker out of a line sound so much different than the rest.
That is not good for timber matching.
I am sure some people would like to use M3's as surround speakers. And again the Axoim site itself did say that M3 was the best choice if you are NOT using a sub.
Plus the M3 and the Studio 20 have the same driver configuration.
It is just my opinion but it makes sense to me.

Same driver configuration doesn't mean they are comparable.

Not defending Axiom here, but some research in the forums would have revealed that the M22 is what's compared to the older Studio 20's.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #25 of 321 Old 05-26-2011, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

To be fair aren't the Studio 20s start off at $650 for the base finish? That's quite a bit more than the M3 or M22.

But if you are just comparing the highs, I think it's not completely unfair to substitute one for the other because both use the same tweeter.
post #26 of 321 Old 05-26-2011, 08:04 PM

I used to own M22tis and VP150 and can tell you that they were very bright. They were OK for the money but certainly not the giant killers that they were advertised to be.

I think Axiom makes a decent product, but are way overhyped. I bought them because of the overwhelming press on them circa early 2000's. I then moved to a pair of Energy C-3s, which were cheaper than the Axioms after sale prices, and found them to be much better balanced, much smoother high frequencies and with better off axis response.

You will likely get better sound from some other comparably priced speakers like Energy, Paradigm, B&W, etc.

FYI, I now own Gallo Stradas and can tell you that they are in an entirely different league from the Axioms or Energys. They are incredible with a good subwoofer.
post #27 of 321 Old 05-26-2011, 08:45 PM

Before I ordered the M3's, I called Axiom to discuss what would be my best option, I explained that I currently owned the Studio's and enjoyed the sound but had heard from Axiom owners that the Axioms are comparable to the Studio's. I explained that I wanted a bookshelf and was directed to the M22's, I then explained that it would be hooked up to a stereo receiver with no sub, I was then directed to the M3 instead. I even went as far as to ask will I be disappointed in the sound as compared to the Studio's and he replied no he did not think I would be disappointed and I could always return them. They never mentioned that it was the "older" version of the Studio 20's that Axiom could be compared to. I know the price of the Studios are not for everyone, but when I heard them I knew they were the speaker for me. There are many great speaker manufacturers out there, I am not here to bash Axiom, I was looking forward to a cheaper price with the same quality of sound.
Alot of times in life it is true, you get what you pay for. Internet direct or not.
Axiom just did not do it for me, maybe I am spoiled by the Studio sound, but even at the cheaper price they just were not "similarly good".
So now my home theatre consists of cc690, fronts 100's, front wides 60's, rears 20's, 2x sub 12, all v5 in Rosenut and then the 10's as my secondary system in another room.
Anyway, now I am broke but I am very happy.
post #28 of 321 Old 05-26-2011, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenttom View Post

This is Brent from Axiom Audio. Though we rarely interject in forums, even our own; it seemed relevant in this case to explain a bit of the background with Skiing Ninja.* Skiing Ninja first came to our attention when they showed up on the Axiom Forum trying to sell an upgraded cross-over for our M22 model for almost the cost of the entire M22 speaker.* Even though this is a blatant violation of one of the few Axiom Forum rules we decided not to dwell on that point but rather to get involved and asked them to send us a pair of their upgraded x-overs for testing.* This offer was met by an initial acceptance then followed by many various excuses as to why they could not follow through.* As would be expected this laundry list of excuses piqued the interest in some of our board members and one of them sent us a pair of these x-overs they had purchased.* We were hoping that these x-overs would show some sort of benefit or at worst not be a detriment as it was sort of cool to have aftermarket products available for our products.* (It also meant the purchaser of the Skiing Ninja x-overs would also have to be the purchaser of a pair of M22s which is always a good thing)

We conducted a series of measurements on the Skiing Ninja x-overs and also subjected them to a double blind listening test.* Both the measurements and the double blind listening tests revealed some basic flaws with their upgraded design.* As a result the Skiing Ninja x-overs lost the double blind listen test to the production x-overs.*

After this incident Skiing Ninja became quite belligerent towards Axiom and started bashing us at every opportunity, which is apparent in earlier referenced Skiing Ninja review of our M80s.* This review contains numerous factual errors and unfounded conclusions.* One of their major complaints is centered around what is known as comb filtering.* This is a subject we understand thoroughly as we design speakers that exhibit this exact phenomenon; on purpose.* We have published a few articles on the subject of comb filtering and have done extensive research into it.*
I invite you to read for yourself:
Axiom newsletter article by Alan Lofft on comb filtering:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/archives/may2009.html

Forum post by Ian Colquhoun on comb filtering:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubb...=284865&page=4

Axiom owners' comments on their M80s:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/customreviewstowers.html#m80

Thanks for the response however this does not change the measurements and the fact that your speakers are ear-splitting bright. Watching a movie is painful. I was shocked at how poor they sounded.

-Brian

Brian R. Smith
post #29 of 321 Old 05-26-2011, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

You have the newest Studios? I heard they use the v1 Signature drivers in a less beefy cabinet.
post #30 of 321 Old 05-26-2011, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Well, I guess this is not the Axiom forum. I'm not a Axiom fanboy but I do own Axiom speakers. I purchased them specifically for H/T applications and they have done a decent job and I'm happy...thus far. I'll now concentrate my efforts to setting up a 2 ch rig(music only & auditions will start shortly) and it will likely exclude Axioms form my short list.

Ps: This is not a knock against Axiom but for music I prefer something a bit different....

Regards, Bill...

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers,STC(RAAL) & 200 SE in espresso54" of Panny BlissAnthem MRX 300,Sony BDP-S380, Technics CD player & Apple TV....

{ PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry}
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page