post #31 of 45 Old 06-01-2011, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfleck View Post

Although, how am I going to match the center channel if I buy two random used speakers?

Centers are out there too - the key is to match the front 3 channels.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 06-01-2011, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I'm all for buying B-stock or used speakers. I guess its best if I just keep my eyes open for now. Although, how am I going to match the center channel if I buy two random used speakers?

Not sure what you mean by random. If you buy a major brand speaker, center speakers will always be available at some point, some place.

Two "better" L and R main speakers (2.0) will out-perform a compromised (by price) or lesser 3.0 system.

Personally, I would jump on the Totem Mites mentioned earlier if I had a budget of less than $250 for speakers.

Another speaker to look for is the Paradigm Titan - a larger bookshelf speaker with a 7.5" mid-bass driver. The Titans will work well in a larger room. Look for versions 2 through 4, ranging from $150 to $250 used. A very good value at your price point IMO. It will be easy to find and match a Paradigm CC speaker with the Titans.
post #33 of 45 Old 06-01-2011, 09:45 PM

Liked: 10
First, you aren't buying "random used"...

Keep your eyes on a "prize"...

A "prize" is an idea of what you want. If you notice my prior post about the speakers I am choosing between, the "price" is going to be the ultimate deciding factor. Of the choices I have, nothing is going to be a "worst". Nothing is going to be a "best".

I've already discovered a guy selling a pair of Dali Ikon towers(emailed about which actual ones, the picture has the grills on them), and another guy selling a pair of bookshelves. The price combined for the two pairs will be $1100(including the shipping of the bookshelves). I will have no problem finding a center and another pair of tower speakers, as I will run 4 towers, the center and "height".

Basically, me finding 2 pairs of Dali Ikon for $1100 made the decision for me. To give you an idea why, for me, price is the deciding factor...This is the "small Ikon", the ones I'm getting are 2's...
http://www.amazon.com/Dali-Ikon-1-Li...6989678&sr=1-2

If you haven't figured it out...if the Dali Ikon 2 mk2 is going to be my "height" speaker...
Yeah, the HT in my living room is going to be fantabulous.
post #34 of 45 Old 06-02-2011, 10:34 AM

If you are looking for a nice HT setup that isnt going to kill you budget wise, look for something used (as was stated before, get an idea of what you are looking for and then go look for it used) or maybe even check out the Pioneer speakers that Best Buy is carrying that were designed by Andrew Jones. They sound pretty nice and arent too difficult to drive. Hometheater Magazine just did a review on them in their most recent issue and they found them to be very soild, which is something they usually dont say about speakers in this particular price range (full 5.1 can be had at retail for a hair over $500.) Shop around and you can get your front sound stage for somewhere near $150-200 and still have some funds left to throw at surrounds or a cheapy sub.
post #35 of 45 Old 06-03-2011, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Okay, maybe I should not have used the word "random..." In either case, my conclusion is that I just dont have the knowledge of older, used speakers. I don't know what's good or what's bad. Yes I can search reviews, but that in itself is daunting when sifting through for sale ads trying to pick the right one.

I want to say this again, I am an enthusiast for electronics. Who doesn't want "the best?" I'm willing to spend more (just possibly not right now). Ultimately, I just want a solid sound setup to start with and then as I learn more, I can sell and buy new/used ones later on.

I'll be looking up all of the brands/products you guys mentioned here and doing my due diligence. If you guys have anymore advice on the current setup I have (Yamaha V467 + 2xKEF C1 Bookshelf), that would be great. I am really missing a center channel and a small sub. I live in an apt, so big sub is out of the question.

All of your input is much appreciated!
post #36 of 45 Old 06-03-2011, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 145
The Kef C6LCR is the matching center.

After that what is left let us know what's left for subwoofer
post #37 of 45 Old 06-03-2011, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:

Thanks everyone. Okay, maybe I should not have used the word "random..." In either case, my conclusion is that I just dont have the knowledge of older, used speakers. I don't know what's good or what's bad. Yes I can search reviews, but that in itself is daunting when sifting through for sale ads trying to pick the right one.

I want to say this again, I am an enthusiast for electronics. Who doesn't want "the best?" I'm willing to spend more (just possibly not right now). Ultimately, I just want a solid sound setup to start with and then as I learn more, I can sell and buy new/used ones later on.

I'll be looking up all of the brands/products you guys mentioned here and doing my due diligence. If you guys have anymore advice on the current setup I have (Yamaha V467 + 2xKEF C1 Bookshelf), that would be great. I am really missing a center channel and a small sub. I live in an apt, so big sub is out of the question.

The sony speaker setup I suggested will create exactly that; a solid speaker setup that will tide you over till you can afford something better. The suggestion of checking out the pioneer speakers is also a good one but they will cost you near double what the sony speakers will, but are likely to sound a bit better (depending on your preferrences)

I am in your exact position....a fan of electronic hardware but lacking the funds to enter the field as a true hobbiest. That has changed recently and if everything goes well, in a couple of years I should be able to upgrade to a very nice audiophile system. But until then my cheap little sony's are doing a great job of enhancing my enjoyment of my entire HT experience.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #38 of 45 Old 06-03-2011, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:

I am really missing a center channel and a small sub. I live in an apt, so big sub is out of the question.

You don't really need a center. Get the sub first. I run a 2.1 right now and can sit anywhere on my 3 seat sofa and cannot tell there is no actual center speaker. Much, much better than the crappy speaker I had there.

So no center is much better than a cheap, crappy one.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #39 of 45 Old 06-04-2011, 07:14 AM

Hi, hope this helps. I have had JBL control5 front speakers for years, 2 of them are done in."20 years old " So went to Best Buy..listened to their speakers... ended up with ( 2) Klipsch VB-15 (I think this is right), and a center KC-25 __ $476 w/tax ..they sound great to my old ears.
post #40 of 45 Old 06-04-2011, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 108
That's almost double the original poster's stated budget of $250...

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #41 of 45 Old 06-08-2011, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

I don't dislike my speakers. If I go with a polk setup, I won't know if that's any better or worse than what I have now (before buying).
post #42 of 45 Old 06-08-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:

Ultimately, I just want a solid sound setup to start with and then as I learn more, I can sell and buy new/used ones later on.

You gave yourself really good advice! Not unless you know what you're looking, I wouldn't recommend playing the used game either.

I think these days there seems to be a lot of options for new high-performing budget speaker to "learn" from.

Check out the Cambridge Audio S30. I own it. It's well within your price range and a great introduction to good audio IMO. I enjoy them more than 4 other speakers I have owned, all of which will be similar or more expensive to buy used than a new s30. Some online vendors will offer a 30-day return policy if you feel the sound is not an improvement over what you currently have.
post #43 of 45 Old 06-08-2011, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Quote:

I don't dislike my speakers. If I go with a polk setup, I won't know if that's any better or worse than what I have now (before buying).

True but has an ok return policy.... Buy Polk tsi100(newer version of monitor 30's and sound nearly I identical) and then see if you like the sound... If you don't return them, if you do return them and buy monitor 30's

If you don't dislike your current speakers. Might as well keep them and purchase the matching center or purchase a subwoofer to compliment them
post #44 of 45 Old 06-09-2011, 06:46 PM

what do you guys think of KEF Q300 for front speakers?
post #45 of 45 Old 06-09-2011, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
In reference to you not knowing the Polks will sound better, I think the main point is, only you can know what will sound better...and in your house, the only way you will find out is by playing them in your house. So you have to be willing to "buy" speakers that you are interested in...and just make sure the store has a good return policy.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page