Audessy DSX speaker setup and Receiver AVR-3312 suggestion - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-01-2011, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All, Need your expert opinion.

I want to put Audessy DSX into HT set up and I`m looking into AVR-3312 receiver. here is my current setup.

Room: 15'x36'x9.5' (actually used is 15'x22'x9.5, I have a bar setup at the back. please see attached pictures).
Speakers Klipsch: Front floor standing, L&R: RF62.
Center: RC 62
Surround Back: RS42
Surround Sides: RS41.
Subs: RW10D x 2
Projector: Sony VPL-VW60
Receiver: Integra 7.8
I'm not impressed with the sound though, honestly, my family room has 7.1 Bose speakers with Onkyo and I hear lot more clarity in that than my actual HT setup. I need help to wow the experience without much tear down.

Link to pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/1077149...jc6bC1reGpugE#

One thought I`m having is to convert this setup to a audessy DSX setup by replacing my Integra7.8 with AVR-3312 (feel free to suggest any better receiver for my room setup but Shouldnt be a overkill)

Can someone please advice what I need to change in the speaker setups, can I add 2 speakers on top of the floor standing Left and Right for the heights, can the wides be used by same RS41s. (Any speaker placement suggestions is much welcome).
LL
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-03-2011, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
hello???
post #3 of 4 Old 06-03-2011, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansreddy View Post

Can someone please advice what I need to change in the speaker setups, can I add 2 speakers on top of the floor standing Left and Right for the heights, can the wides be used by same RS41s. (Any speaker placement suggestions is much welcome).

I have an Onkyo TX-NR1008 in which I am running 9.1 with Aduyssey DSX. The heights should not be directly above the fronts, they should be offset somewhat; along with the wides.

I have chatted with Chris over on the Audyssey site; which is a great way to find out best possible setups, and here is what I got from him. The heights should be 45 degrees from the main listening position with a 45 degree elevation, compared to just 30 degrees for you front LR. The wides should be 60 degrees from the main listening postion, and should be the same height as you fronts.

All of these numbers are suggested, so if you don't have the room for those exact angles, running Audyssey should take care of all the timing issues. Being that the wides are such an angle and MOST people don't have the room along the front of the soundstage; fortunately I do as my front wall with my speakers is 24 ft wide, Chris did say it is alright to place the wides on the side wall and Audyssey will take care of the rest.

Here is a link to the specified setup angles:

http://www.audyssey.com/technology/dsx.html

Hope this helps.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-04-2011, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Looking at your pics I can see some obvious problems.

1st, your center speaker is way too low, it's pointed at the feet of the 1st row so most of the sound is not reaching the rest of your seating. That speaker should be located at about the middle of your screen.

2nd, move the media rack that is blocking your right speaker.

3rd, research the set-up of multiple subs and I believe you will find that, typically, you want to place them in opposite corners. It appears as though you have both in the front of the room. Plus, it looks like they may actually be interfering with the sound from your main speakers. Try to not put anything in front of your main speakers.

4th, your mains are rear ported speakers and it looks like they could use more space behind & to the sides. Try moving them out from the front wall and away from the side walls and see if that helps.

Try these tips and see if they improve your "wow".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page