Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #271 of 1977 Old 11-28-2011, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McIntosh View Post

I think the sub has certainly improved over the time I've had it. I started with it at 1/2 volume and ran Audyssey on my Denon receiver. Even with my previous Orb setup I had to increase the sub volume some for movies. So I simply turned the sub volume up some and I back it down on the receiver when listening to music. It still doesn't rattle the walls, but it gives plenty of volume on explosions and such in home theater, and it is fantastic with music.

This is why I like having two instead of one. They do rattle my walls and seats. I would definitely do it again, and would get two 8" Subs over one 10 or 12 inch.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1977 Old 11-28-2011, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think you'll have a hard time finding bookshelf speakers that can match the low end response of any system that has a subwoofer included. I would think the bookshelf speakers would have better treble since they would have a separate tweeter. This really isn't a fair question to ask this group. Obviously we love our Minx speakers and for me, any minor advantages the bookshelf speakers might offer are more than countered by the Minx' small size.
post #273 of 1977 Old 11-28-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

This is why I like having two instead of one. They do rattle my walls and seats. I would definitely do it again, and would get two 8" Subs over one 10 or 12 inch.

Haven't you cost me enough already - LOL!! I have been thinking about adding another one, but it sounds so balanced with music right now that I'm leaving it alone. As a general rule, how much can you turn the vloume up on the back of the sub before you run the risk of damage? I'm at about 60% right now, but might be willing to go a little more for HT if it's safe. My den is reasonably large - 16X24 - so I bet having two subs would make a big difference in filling the room.
post #274 of 1977 Old 11-28-2011, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Haven't you cost me enough already - LOL!! I have been thinking about adding another one, but it sounds so balanced with music right now that I'm leaving it alone.

You haven't heard what two Subs can do.
I keep mine below my L&R speaker.

I have both of mine set at notch 4 on the dial.
You can probably turn it up as much as needed.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #275 of 1977 Old 11-28-2011, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

I had a chance to listen to the difference between both Min 10 & 20, now that the 20 was burned in for over 40 hours. My final verdict is.......................................................... ............................................................ ............................................................ ............................................................ ............................................................ ............................................................ ................................................if you plan on playing your speakers at low to sometimes (depending on what type of material) moderate levels, stick with the Min 10. If you want a fuller and less constricted speaker, definitely swing the Min 20. By comparison, the Min 10 sounds like too much signal is being squeezed through an approximately 2 inch driver at louder levels.

That was my hunch a couple of pages back. Burn in!
post #276 of 1977 Old 11-28-2011, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think you'll have a hard time finding bookshelf speakers that can match the low end response of any system that has a subwoofer included. I would think the bookshelf speakers would have better treble since they would have a separate tweeter. This really isn't a fair question to ask this group. Obviously we love our Minx speakers and for me, any minor advantages the bookshelf speakers might offer are more than countered by the Minx' small size.

A bookshelf would not necessarily have better treble than the Minx. It all depends on the particular driver, and there is a distinct advantage to a crossover-less BMR such as the Minx has. The tweeter's interaction with the crossover and the midrange could compromise an otherwise admirable tweeter.
Overall balance and continuity or coherence of sound is very important.
post #277 of 1977 Old 11-28-2011, 07:13 PM

I've been shopping today, hopping to try a Min20/x300 setup... They had one min10, one min20 and a plastic board with drawing onit to show sub size!!! Can you believe it??

They recommanded me a Denon 1612 I think and when I asked for a model with connectivity, they offered me the 2112ci. The price was fair though and I know service is good as well...

Some folks talked to me about Polk Blackstone TL2600 and Mirage Nanosat. I'm keeping my mind open but I think I'll go with S325 or 525. As for the receiver, I'm still confused... Gonna try another shop tomorow
post #278 of 1977 Old 11-28-2011, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPCorriveau View Post

Some folks talked to me about Polk Blackstone TL2600 and Mirage Nanosat. I'm keeping my mind open but I think I'll go with S325 or 525. As for the receiver, I'm still confused... Gonna try another shop tomorow

Those are still two models that have crossovers. Is that what you really want? The Mirage Nanosat speakers were one of the brands I listened to after getting the Minx to compare. I went to listen to the Mirage Omnipolar designs on two occasions and each time came away scratching my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

That was my hunch a couple of pages back. Burn in!

Just so you know, my decision has not changed since I first received and listened to the Min 20.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #279 of 1977 Old 11-28-2011, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Obviously we love our Minx speakers and for me, any minor advantages the bookshelf speakers might offer are more than countered by the Minx' small size.

This is so true!
If they made a smaller speaker that sounded as good, I'd purchase it too.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #280 of 1977 Old 11-29-2011, 03:29 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

I've been shopping today, hopping to try a Min20/x300 setup... They had one min10, one min20 and a plastic board with drawing onit to show sub size!!! Can you believe it??

They recommanded me a Denon 1612 I think and when I asked for a model with connectivity, they offered me the 2112ci. The price was fair though and I know service is good as well...

I don't think you will have a problem with a 1612 but i run mine with a denon 1911 and it doesn't seem to cause any trouble, so i think that you should be okay with a 2112.

After running the auto calabration the sound quality is sufficient for my room the sound output these speakers push out is truly remarkable, at -20 on my amp it is really loud with no stess on the speakers i get good volume superb clarity and deep punchy undistorted bass from the x300 i can't say enough about these speakers.

Once they are set up right you definately will be in for a treat. The thing which i'm also surprised about is that i only have 2.1 at the moment and it sounds so good i can only imagine what the sound would be like with another three to make it 5.1.
post #281 of 1977 Old 11-29-2011, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roark View Post

"roark,

I would stick with a bookshelf speaker that will give you bottom end to, at least, 50-60 hz and pass on the Subwoofer."

"I think any sub along that shared wall will not foster good relations with your neighbors."

Yeah that is what I thought too and at least partly why I have been hesitant to get a sub.

If that was not an issue though do you think you would prefer the Minx 2.1 over whichever $550 bookshelf pair of your choice for music?

Thanks again.

You know, I was just thinking about this again. In your situation, I think it would be better to have a sub/sat system based on being able to control the bass along the common wall. With a bookshelf design, the only way to accomplish this is to use a crossover above the frequency you would normally disburb your neighbor with not too great results. Also, with a sub/sat system, you can always work with your neighbor to dial in the correct volume of bass within reason. The noise laws are you can play your music during a certain time of the day, within reason. I'm sure this applies to many Countries around the World.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #282 of 1977 Old 11-30-2011, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

When I purchased my Mirage MM-8 Subs from Vann's, I suggested to my salesman that they should start carrying the Cambridge Audio Minx line. He told me he would pass the info on. Looks like they added the S212. It's a start.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #283 of 1977 Old 11-30-2011, 12:53 PM

What gauge wire are you guys using on the speakers? I have a spool of 14 gauge not being used and was wondering if it would fit ok.
post #284 of 1977 Old 11-30-2011, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystere View Post

What gauge wire are you guys using on the speakers? I have a spool of 14 gauge not being used and was wondering if it would fit ok.

I use solid core 16 gauge wire all around. I've had it since my Anthony Gallo Micro days. 14 Gauge seems pretty thick (overkill), and I'll assume it's stranded? Although, you probably can, I wouldn't use anything bigger than 16 but would recommend a minimum of18 gauge for longer runs.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #285 of 1977 Old 12-01-2011, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm sitting here listening between the Min 10 & 20, and I've got to say, to me, the Min 10 sounds smoother than the 20. I really need to have a pair of them so I can listen to some stereo material before I can make a final judgement. It's too bad no one here has combined the Min 10 & 20 in their system. I guess, I'm the only one here with a Min 10 system with the Min 20 as my center channel. Everyone else has either a Min 10 or Min 20 system.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #286 of 1977 Old 12-01-2011, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm sitting here listening between the Min 10 & 20, and I've got to say, to me, the Min 10 sounds smoother than the 20. I really need to have a pair of them so I can listen to some stereo material before I can make a final judgement. It's too bad no one here has combined the Min 10 & 20 in their system. I guess, I'm the only one here with a Min 10 system with the Min 20 as my center channel. Everyone else has either a Min 10 or Min 20 system.

Are you comparing a single Min 10 to a single Min 20, with identical input?
post #287 of 1977 Old 12-01-2011, 06:28 PM

How would the min 20's sound with something like the Emotiva X-Ref 10 subwoofer?
post #288 of 1977 Old 12-01-2011, 08:17 PM

I've been reading this thread and some of the reviews, and I have decided to go with a minx system. I'm not sure what combination of speakers to go with, so I was hoping for some advice! I live in a small apartment and the I'll be listening in and L-shaped room, the living area being 13'x15'. Can I get away with an X200 for my small apartment, or should I spring for the X300? I'm thinking of starting out with some min10s, and build onto it with min20s in the future. I'm looking at the marantz nr1602 as far as AVRs go; I haven't seen any mention of them in this thread...any recommendations on a receiver in the $400-600 range?
post #289 of 1977 Old 12-02-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1029 View Post

I've been reading this thread and some of the reviews, and I have decided to go with a minx system. I'm not sure what combination of speakers to go with, so I was hoping for some advice! I live in a small apartment and the I'll be listening in and L-shaped room, the living area being 13'x15'. Can I get away with an X200 for my small apartment, or should I spring for the X300? I'm thinking of starting out with some min10s, and build onto it with min20s in the future. I'm looking at the marantz nr1602 as far as AVRs go; I haven't seen any mention of them in this thread...any recommendations on a receiver in the $400-600 range?

Hi there i live in a small flat myself and when buying the minxs i was determined to get either the x500 or x300 without even considering the x200, if your not looking to upgrade the sub in the future and you want hard hitting bass then i would plump for the x500.

If you want very good deep taut bass but on a lesser scale then the x300 would be the ulitmate choice.

I had been fortunate to have tried both to know that the x500 was to much for my flat regarding bass but everybodys different. The x300 in my case was the better compromise and i'm not left wanting more when it comes to bass.

I think the marantz 1602 would pair well with the minxs, i actually owned a 1501 myself and had it not have went into protection mode i would still have it.

After that happened i decided to try a denon and i'm equally happy with that.
One thing i would give to marantz and that is they know how to shine when playing music giving a warm sound and i think that in combination with the minxs would be a very good pairing.

Deciding on speakers i think the min10s would be fine as a start if you were looking to eventually move to min20s in the future as there is a difference between the too with the min20s giving that extra bit of volume.

Remember to use the auto calabration if you do indeed decide to buy the marantz hope this helps.
post #290 of 1977 Old 12-03-2011, 04:19 AM

I would prefer the x300, but my budget prefers the x200. However, I don't want to have to upgrade it in the near future. Does anyone here own or have sufficient experience with an x200 to be able to comment on its performance?
post #291 of 1977 Old 12-03-2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:

I would prefer the x300, but my budget prefers the x200. However, I don't want to have to upgrade it in the near future. Does anyone here own or have sufficient experience with an x200 to be able to comment on its performance?

In that case i would go with what your budget allows, i have also heard the x200 and it isn't a bad sub still quite punchy with abit of oomph, maybe perpendicular could chime in and add some insight. I think the mirage subwoofers he's using sound like they are good bang for your buck!
post #292 of 1977 Old 12-03-2011, 07:42 AM

I finally ordered a Denon 2312ci and Minx S325 kit yesterday. I will use a 3.1 setup for the next three month in the living room. In febuary, we'll do some major renovation around the house and the Minx system will be installed in the family room. We're rebuilding it from scrath so I'm planing to pass wires through the wall. All the speakers will be fixed on the wall as well. I'll keep you informed of my first impression...

Thanks all for your advices...
post #293 of 1977 Old 12-03-2011, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:

For HT I would think twice about the x200. While it's probably a good sub you will need more than it's capable of in order to get a satisfactory experience. Buying that will almost inevitably lead to a future upgrade, and perhaps sooner than later.

FWIW... Cambridge Audio is an excellent company, and they make some fantastic products, but their subs are priced a bit out of line with their capabilities. At least relative to the competition. You might be better served looking at some other options - I suspect you'll be able to find more sub for less money.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #294 of 1977 Old 12-03-2011, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To get the best out of a Minx system, I would stick to a Minx or other comparable Subwoofer.

Quote:

I finally ordered a Denon 2312ci and Minx S325 kit yesterday. I will use a 3.1 setup for the next three month in the living room. In febuary, we'll do some major renovation around the house and the Minx system will be installed in the family room. We're rebuilding it from scrath so I'm planing to pass wires through the wall. All the speakers will be fixed on the wall as well. I'll keep you informed of my first impression...

Thanks all for your advices...

Congratulations!
I'm happy to hear you took the first step.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #295 of 1977 Old 12-03-2011, 01:12 PM

"FWIW... Cambridge Audio is an excellent company, and they make some fantastic products, but their subs are priced a bit out of line with their capabilities. At least relative to the competition. You might be better served looking at some other options - I suspect you'll be able to find more sub for less money."

"To get the best out of a Minx system, I would stick to a Minx or other comparable Subwoofer."

Would the HSU STF-1 make a good pairing the Minx 10? And is that considered a comparable sub to the Minx sub? This would be for 90+% music.

Also if I am understanding correctly the Minx 10 spreads the sound around the room as compared to a more direct sound of a typical bookshelf speaker? Does that sound right and if so is the Minx 10 somewhat like Mirage OMD-5 which I thought does similar. Never heard either and I only mention OMD5 as I read about it in recent threads and the descriptions seemed similar. And if either of these "spread around" sound is it much more so than conventional bookshelf say Cambridge S30 to just throw one example? Thanks.
post #296 of 1977 Old 12-03-2011, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:

"FWIW... Cambridge Audio is an excellent company, and they make some fantastic products, but their subs are priced a bit out of line with their capabilities. At least relative to the competition. You might be better served looking at some other options - I suspect you'll be able to find more sub for less money."

"To get the best out of a Minx system, I would stick to a Minx or other comparable Subwoofer."

Would the HSU STF-1 make a good pairing the Minx 10? And is that considered a comparable sub to the Minx sub? This would be for 90+% music.

Unfortunately, no the STF-1 isn't a good match. The specification to look for when evaluating a sub is frequency response. It will be given with a low-high number, rated in Hz. For example, 25Hz-150Hz. That upper number is significant for the Minx. Because they have such a smaller driver they're physically unable to play very low, so in order not to create a "hole" in the sound you need a subwoofer that can climb rather high. For proper integration with the Minx you should be looking at an upper number of at least 150Hz. The STF-1 is 90Hz, so it doesn't quite make it.

Quote:

Also if I am understanding correctly the Minx 10 spreads the sound around the room as compared to a more direct sound of a typical bookshelf speaker? Does that sound right and if so is the Minx 10 somewhat like Mirage OMD-5 which I thought does similar. Never heard either and I only mention OMD5 as I read about it in recent threads and the descriptions seemed similar. And if either of these "spread around" sound is it much more so than conventional bookshelf say Cambridge S30 to just throw one example? Thanks.

Most drivers are conical in nature, and thus have a tendency to "beam" the sound. The Minx, on the other hand, utilizes something called a BMR driver. While it looks, for the most part, like an ordinary driver it really isn't. The nature of it's design is to disperse sound in a wider pattern, so there's no "sweet spot". In essence what that means is you can move around, or stand up, and the characteristics of the sound will remain virtually identical. The same can't be said for the majority of other speakers, which is why the Minx is so unique.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #297 of 1977 Old 12-03-2011, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Most drivers are conical in nature, and thus have a tendency to "beam" the sound. The Minx, on the other hand, utilizes something called a BMR driver. While it looks, for the most part, like an ordinary driver it really isn't. The nature of it's design is to disperse sound in a wider pattern, so there's no "sweet spot". In essence what that means is you can move around, or stand up, and the characteristics of the sound will remain virtually identical. The same can't be said for the majority of other speakers, which is why the Minx is so unique.

I'd like to add that the BMR driver that's used in the Minx acts like a traditional speaker when a person is sitting in the sweet spot. As you move out of this "Sweet Spot" (usually 2-3 seats), what one hears is the driver vibrating (instead of push/pull) to produce the higher treble frequencies.

Also, the Mirage speakers have a 30/70, direct to radiating sound. The Minx are mostly direct sound.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #298 of 1977 Old 12-04-2011, 03:28 PM

Liked: 11
I've been looking at getting a small surround system to replace my current Polk setup, as the wife hates big speakers. I've currently got TSi200 fronts, TSi100 rears, a CS10 center and a PSW111 sub all running off a Denon AVR-591 receiver.

I stumbled upon the Minx set and am really liking what I'm reading so far. Does anyone know how the S325 system would sound compared to what I've got now?

Ideally I would like to upgrade my sound while going with smaller speakers, but I don't know if that's possible. My room is 17' x 17' with 14' ceilings. Would the larger sub in the S525 system be overkill for my room? I REALLY like my bass and watch a lot of action movies with loud explosions, etc.

Thanks for any info you can provide fellas!
post #299 of 1977 Old 12-04-2011, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmobbins View Post

I felt that going from a bookshelf type speaker with a Sub to the Minx was a step in the positive direction. They're small, attractive and have excellent sound quality for their size.

Yes, you will benefit with a larger Sub. If you like your bass, try adding two.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #300 of 1977 Old 12-05-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmobbins View Post

I've been looking at getting a small surround system to replace my current Polk setup, as the wife hates big speakers. I've currently got TSi200 fronts, TSi100 rears, a CS10 center and a PSW111 sub all running off a Denon AVR-591 receiver.

I stumbled upon the Minx set and am really liking what I'm reading so far. Does anyone know how the S325 system would sound compared to what I've got now?

Ideally I would like to upgrade my sound while going with smaller speakers, but I don't know if that's possible. My room is 17' x 17' with 14' ceilings. Would the larger sub in the S525 system be overkill for my room? I REALLY like my bass and watch a lot of action movies with loud explosions, etc.

If it's loud explosion high impact deep bass you want then go for the x500. It won't disappoint, it is insanely powerful especially given it's small footprint.

what i find with the cambridge audio subwoofers is clean deep bass without that bloating effect or chuffing noise that some subs suffer from.

I think that anybody considering raw power on a lower scale should consider the x300 as it punches well above it's weight. Another point to which i think plays apart with the minxs is the timing and cohesion between the sub and speakers...

they work really well together and i think cambridge audio have succeeded in making a very stylish yet capable speaker package.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , Subwoofers , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page