Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 1936 Old 01-01-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

What, no prize? Cheapskate.

So what made you decide to go that route? Dual 10's sound better then a single 20 does?

Not really. It's because I only have two Min 20's right now. I will say, when I switched the Min 20's to the sides, it sounded better. I like to listen to stereo sources in DPLII mode, and had to change the "Width" setting to number "5", in order to get a pleasing sound. When I had the two Min 20's placed in the center and a Min 10 for each of the L&R, I settled on position "1". I still have my AVR's crossover set to 200 hz. This is with music sources only. I still need to watch some movies to hear what it sounds with this setup. So far, I'm really liking it. Yesterday afternoon, I was listening to music very loud (ear bleeding level but I was in the backyard most of the time), and managed not to blow any of the drivers.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 1936 Old 01-02-2012, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Last night, I had a chance to view two movies, a Blu-ray and DVD. I had to keep turning the volume up to hear the dialog even with using two Min 10 speakers for the cc. So, needless to say, I plan on changing them to a single Min 20. If I'm not satisfied with the single Min 20 for the cc, I may have to go back to using two, something I didn't want to do but sure loved the sound I was getting.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
post #363 of 1936 Old 01-06-2012, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
For now, today, I moved my two Min 20's back to center channel duty.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
post #364 of 1936 Old 01-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Member
 
WrJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

For now, today, I moved my two Min 20's back to center channel duty.

A quick question for ya, how would 5 of the minx10's blend with a outlaw audio M8 sub. Its rated up to 200hz I believe...actually its rated 29Hz-250Hz +/-3dB and the crossover on it allows full adjustment up to 200hz. Seemed like it would work to me but I thought i would ask the pro's first.

Im turning my office into a lil man cave area and getting a tv for pc hookup,gaming and movie watching and was really thinking about getting the minx's cause they sound like they will work perfect in here. Now heres my one problem though, my receiver is old(but it works fine i'll add) and doesnt have any mic calibration or crossover control, just a bass and treble knob lol. Its an older yamaha htr model but I love the sound it produces and really would like to keep it and use it in here, plus I dont have the money to buy a new receiver anyways. Do you think the minx's would be ok on a older 5.1 receiver like this that doesnt have crossover controls in it? I ask cause i dont want to buy them then risk blowing out the drivers. Anyways thats it for now and I really got some good reads and info in this forum, love the reviews you did on these speakers!!!
WrJr is offline  
post #365 of 1936 Old 01-13-2012, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrJr View Post

A quick question for ya, how would 5 of the minx10's blend with a outlaw audio M8 sub. Its rated up to 200hz I believe...actually its rated 29Hz-250Hz +/-3dB and the crossover on it allows full adjustment up to 200hz. Seemed like it would work to me but I thought i would ask the pro's first.

Im turning my office into a lil man cave area and getting a tv for pc hookup,gaming and movie watching and was really thinking about getting the minx's cause they sound like they will work perfect in here. Now heres my one problem though, my receiver is old(but it works fine i'll add) and doesnt have any mic calibration or crossover control, just a bass and treble knob lol. Its an older yamaha htr model but I love the sound it produces and really would like to keep it and use it in here, plus I dont have the money to buy a new receiver anyways. Do you think the minx's would be ok on a older 5.1 receiver like this that doesnt have crossover controls in it? I ask cause i dont want to buy them then risk blowing out the drivers. Anyways thats it for now and I really got some good reads and info in this forum, love the reviews you did on these speakers!!!

The Sub should be okay, especially since it plays high enough. Is there a reason why you're looking at the Min 10 over the 20? Or, is it financial?

Also, your receiver should be okay.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
post #366 of 1936 Old 01-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Member
 
WrJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

The Sub should be okay, especially since it plays high enough. Is there a reason why you're looking at the Min 10 over the 20? Or, is it financial?

Also, your receiver should be okay.

Stricly financial reasons or I would for surely go with the 20's. I'm just looking right now and bookmarking speakers and subs. I would move my def tech sm 450's in here but those suckers are big and will not fit in the area.

Given the price point do you think the min 10's are worth 80 bucks a piece? It just seems high for such small speakers. I had a pair of cambridge speakers back in the day when I was young and them things sounded really good. And being I live out in the stix in a small town with no city reallly close by demo'n stuff is out of the question for me
WrJr is offline  
post #367 of 1936 Old 01-14-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bazzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi All,

When Perpendicular talks, I listen & try to learn! I made a special trip in to the heart of London yesterday & visited a Richer Sounds branch with a view to listen to the Minx's & although they had a couple set up for demo - the staff were so atrociously nonchalant, uninterested, unhelpful & absolutely ignorant about their products that I just left full of dismay & disgust.

Richer Sounds are the only company that sell these speakers as the own CA & I now doubt it will ever be possible to get anything close to a decent demo based on this companies way of selling & quality of staff they employ. They were just awful & Richer Sounds seem to think that in tough times, the way to generate more sales is to employ what they consider good looking Eastern European girls with zero knowledge so as to make a hit with the boys.

The two minute demo was a joke.

Bazzy!
Bazzy is offline  
post #368 of 1936 Old 01-14-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Bazzy,

Your words are shared by many of us. Just think what we go through here in Southern California, USA. We live in the second biggest city in the nation and cannot find anywhere for a demo or a place to purchase. Amazon is our best friend but the companies that sell on there have a no return policy on the Minx. NOT a good way to do business. That's why I started out with 3 Min 10's for the front. I figured, if I was going to be out of money spent, it needed to be the lowest possible. On the flip side of the coin, I wish I did spend the money on the Min 20's instead but who knew? The Min 10 is a good speaker but once you hear the Min 20, you'll want them too.

WrJr,

In the beginning, I did not feel that the Min 10 was worth the price. That was until I took one apart and saw the whole works. I don't want to talk you into trying something you may not like. I can suggest you try the Minx but, in the end, it is your decision whether you will like them or not. Plus, you're using another brand of Sub and it may or may not sound good with the Minx satellites. Confused yet?? Using a Subwoofer with these speakers are mandatory but once you find the perfect blend with the correct Sub, they can sound spectacular.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
post #369 of 1936 Old 01-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Member
 
WrJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

Bazzy,

Your words are shared by many of us. Just think what we go through here in Southern California, USA. We live in the second biggest city in the nation and cannot find anywhere for a demo or a place to purchase. Amazon is our best friend but the companies that sell on there have a no return policy on the Minx. NOT a good way to do business. That's why I started out with 3 Min 10's for the front. I figured, if I was going to be out of money spent, it needed to be the lowest possible. On the flip side of the coin, I wish I did spend the money on the Min 20's instead but who knew? The Min 10 is a good speaker but once you hear the Min 20, you'll want them too.

WrJr,

In the beginning, I did not feel that the Min 10 was worth the price. That was until I took one apart and saw the whole works. I don't want to talk you into trying something you may not like. I can suggest you try the Minx but, in the end, it is your decision whether you will like them or not. Plus, you're using another brand of Sub and it may or may not sound good with the Minx satellites. Confused yet?? Using a Subwoofer with these speakers are mandatory but once you find the perfect blend with the correct Sub, they can sound spectacular.

Yea I read this whole 13 page thread and seen your pics. What an amazing looking lil thing, they really look like good drivers to me....dual voice coils?

And also thats what I'm afraid of finding a sub that will not blend with these guys! I know they are not going to have any bass whatsoever, I'm not into that loud window rattling bass anyhow as I grow older....I want clean, articulate, tight bass. I was looking at the outlaw audio sub because I had one before(sold it, big mistake lol!) and the price is right and the frequency seemed to be well suited for these minx speakers.

I noticed you use a mirage mm8 or 2 of them right? They are expensive though and out of my price range currently. I think they use to be on sale at newegg at one point for like 2-300 bucks? How do you like the sound of the mm8's? How do they stack up in the bass department? Thanks for helping and answering all my question I really appreciate it! I do tons of research and reading on avs here because of not having the in store listening option in my area, sux but thats what avs is here for
WrJr is offline  
post #370 of 1936 Old 01-14-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bazzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrJr View Post

Yea I read this whole 13 page thread and seen your pics. What an amazing looking lil thing, they really look like good drivers to me....dual voice coils?

And also thats what I'm afraid of finding a sub that will not blend with these guys! I know they are not going to have any bass whatsoever, I'm not into that loud window rattling bass anyhow as I grow older....I want clean, articulate, tight bass. I was looking at the outlaw audio sub because I had one before(sold it, big mistake lol!) and the price is right and the frequency seemed to be well suited for these minx speakers.

I noticed you use a mirage mm8 or 2 of them right? They are expensive though and out of my price range currently. I think they use to be on sale at newegg at one point for like 2-300 bucks? How do you like the sound of the mm8's? How do they stack up in the bass department? Thanks for helping and answering all my question I really appreciate it! I do tons of research and reading on avs here because of not having the in store listening option in my area, sux but thats what avs is here for


Hi,

I don't know about the USA but in the UK the Minx subs are very expensive for what they are - you can get much more respected brands for that kind of money & less - but it seems one is almost held hostage to get a Minx sub as it goes up to 200hz & very few others do - not even most really top dog brands! For the money Minx subs cost, I would much prefer the established names who you know deliver like SVS, REL, BK Electric, Paradigm etc.

I have two REL Q200E subs which have crossover setting of 106hz max - I really do not think from what very little I know that the Minx Satellites would work well with my (or most other) subs - am I wrong?


Bazzy!
Bazzy is offline  
post #371 of 1936 Old 01-14-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post

I don't know about the USA but in the UK the Minx subs are very expensive for what they are - you can get much more respected brands for that kind of money & less - but it seems one is almost held hostage to get a Minx sub as it goes up to 200hz & very few others do - not even most really top dog brands! For the money Minx subs cost, I would much prefer the established names who you know deliver like SVS, REL, BK Electric, Paradigm etc.

I tend to agree with you; the Minx speakers seem to be a good value, but not the subs. I also thing you can do better elsewhere.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post

I have two REL Q200E subs which have crossover setting of 106hz max - I really do not think from what very little I know that the Minx Satellites would work well with my (or most other) subs - am I wrong?

No, you're not wrong. I think the lowest you should probably take the Minx is perhaps 150Hz, so it doesn't sound as though the REL's would be a good mix with them.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
post #372 of 1936 Old 01-14-2012, 06:53 PM
Member
 
WrJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post

Hi,

I don't know about the USA but in the UK the Minx subs are very expensive for what they are - you can get much more respected brands for that kind of money & less - but it seems one is almost held hostage to get a Minx sub as it goes up to 200hz & very few others do - not even most really top dog brands! For the money Minx subs cost, I would much prefer the established names who you know deliver like SVS, REL, BK Electric, Paradigm etc.

I have two REL Q200E subs which have crossover setting of 106hz max - I really do not think from what very little I know that the Minx Satellites would work well with my (or most other) subs - am I wrong?


Bazzy!

Your right in your thinkings like Jim said above. With these tiny speakers one would need a sub thats capable of at least 150hz or even higher, and also like you stated not many do go this high. Thats why i was looking at the outlaw audio M8 cause it can go to 220hz I think, plus its a very affordable small sub from a good company that I trust.
WrJr is offline  
post #373 of 1936 Old 01-14-2012, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrJr View Post

I noticed you use a mirage mm8 or 2 of them right? They are expensive though and out of my price range currently. I think they use to be on sale at newegg at one point for like 2-300 bucks? How do you like the sound of the mm8's? How do they stack up in the bass department? Thanks for helping and answering all my question I really appreciate it! I do tons of research and reading on avs here because of not having the in store listening option in my area, sux but thats what avs is here for

I like them a lot. I don't miss having Subs that can play lower than 36 hz +/- 3 db. As a matter of fact, I could hear/feel the MM-8 Sub down to around 26 hz. That's good enough for me. Try Vann's for the Mirage Subs. They are the only place that has any left. You should be able to get one at below half retail. I prefer one uses a DSP controlled Sub with the Minx satellites but that's not to say other Subs wouldn't work. The lowest crossover I'd recommend the Min 10's at are 140 (preferably 150) and the Min 20 at 120.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
post #374 of 1936 Old 01-14-2012, 08:19 PM
Member
 
WrJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

I like them a lot. I don't miss having Subs that can play lower than 36 hz +/- 3 db. As a matter of fact, I could hear/feel the MM-8 Sub down to around 26 hz. That's good enough for me. Try Vann's for the Mirage Subs. They are the only place that has any left. You should be able to get one at below half retail. I prefer one uses a DSP controlled Sub with the Minx satellites but that's not to say other Subs wouldn't work. The lowest crossover I'd recommend the Min 10's at are 140 (preferably 150) and the Min 20 at 120.

Thats where I looked for it but even an open box or used one was pretty expensive still, thats why I asked how good they are. 26hz is pretty darn low for an 8" driver, but like my def tech speakers the passive radiators really help with bass. I do currently own an svs giant tube sub but its rated to about 120hz thats it. I could use it but I would probly have a null in there of missing frequencies and I dont want that ya know. Also I hate the looks of the svs anymore its just ugly to my eyes lol, yea it sounds great but its just an eye sore lol. Right now its packed away and Im not even using it as my def techs can go pretty low themselves. Im more about sound quality anymore then explosive earth shaking bass

I also have my eye on the monitor audio m1's in here and the psb alpha b1's as well or the min 10's. Whatever I do decide to get I'll let you know the outcome with the outlaw sub, or if I can find the mirage sub that you have cheap enough I may get that.
WrJr is offline  
post #375 of 1936 Old 01-14-2012, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Wow! I just looked at the Vann's Website. They really raised the price on the MM-8. Plus, they're sold out of the MM-6. I did find the MM-8 at they're eBay store for half of what's listed on their Website. This tells me that they are down to only a handful of MM-8's left in stock, and when they're gone, they're gone. Mirage is not producing anymore products. Might be time to look for an alternative...like this one http://www.hometheater.com/content/you-can%E2%80%99t-do.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
post #376 of 1936 Old 01-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Member
 
WrJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

Wow! I just looked at the Vann's Website. They really raised the price on the MM-8. Plus, they're sold out of the MM-6. I did find the MM-8 at they're eBay store for half of what's listed on their Website. This tells me that they are down to only a handful of MM-8's left in stock, and when they're gone, they're gone. Mirage is not producing anymore products. Might be time to look for an alternative...like this one http://www.hometheater.com/content/you-can%E2%80%99t-do.

Wow now thats one tiny sub! You gonna be the guinea pig and buy one and let us all know how it performs lol? And yea the prices are up on that mirage, guess thats why so expensive cause of no more produced. Man and just to think I seen it on newegg(i think it was newegg) for about 2-300 bucks and really was thinking of buying it, probly should have huh
WrJr is offline  
post #377 of 1936 Old 01-15-2012, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrJr View Post

Wow now thats one tiny sub! You gonna be the guinea pig and buy one and let us all know how it performs lol?

I might consider it. One of the reasons why I chose the Minx satellites are for their size. I really think the Mirage MM-8 is too big and was thinking I should have gone with the MM-6 but that's only an inch smaller.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
post #378 of 1936 Old 01-15-2012, 09:36 AM
Member
 
markiedee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So perpendicular now you own the min20s yourself do you have the crossover set to 120hz? i remember when you told me that i should have my sub and speakers set to 200hz.

When i ran the audyssey on my denon it set the speakers crossover to 200hz, when i decide to reconfigure my setup would you suggest that i change the crossover for the min20s manually to 120hz or leave them set at 200hz with the sub set to 200hz aswell?
markiedee is offline  
post #379 of 1936 Old 01-15-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

I might consider it. One of the reasons why I chose the Minx satellites are for their size. I really think the Mirage MM-8 is too big and was thinking I should have gone with the MM-6 but that's only an inch smaller.

Settle down there Jeff. Take two paces back from the computer, and then shut it off. Your 10 step progam is not working it seems.

What you REALLY need is a pair of these...

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
post #380 of 1936 Old 01-15-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by markiedee View Post

So perpendicular now you own the min20s yourself do you have the crossover set to 120hz? i remember when you told me that i should have my sub and speakers set to 200hz.

When i ran the audyssey on my denon it set the speakers crossover to 200hz, when i decide to reconfigure my setup would you suggest that i change the crossover for the min20s manually to 120hz or leave them set at 200hz with the sub set to 200hz aswell?

It's funny you ask! I've spent a lot of time listening to various configurations over several hours, days and weeks. First things first. I thought I recommended you set the crossover initially at 200 but settle on 150 hz?

Well, last night, I came to a decision. With my Pioneer receiver, I'm limited to 50, 80, 100, 150 or 200 hz crossover setting. There is no in between. Up until last night, I had my crossover set to 200 hz. Well, not anymore. After listening to 100, 150 and 200 hz extensively, I've settled on 150 hz. The reason being is that I hear a bit more definition (mid bass) with the satellites and less bloating through the Subs.

The other thing I found interesting was the various codecs I tried that converts two-channel music into surround. I feel, these are very revealing speakers. Unheard of for their size and price point. While messing around with Dolby Pro-Logic II, DTS Neo:6 and THX Neural (on Redbook), I've settled on DTS Neo:6 Cinema for music. It seemed to sound the closest to 2-channel music but with that added surround effect that makes the soundstage much more 3-D like. I found DPL II bloated the bass and made the high notes sound edgy. It also placed a veil on the sound. With the DTS Neo:6 Music mode, I found the bass frequencies to be somewhat MIA, and Neural THX just seemed to make everything sound louder and in your face. Also, with using two Min 20's for the center channel, it seems to sound better with DTS Neo:6 Cinema when the "Width" is set to "10" (the choice is 1-10) which pushes the majority of the sound to the center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Settle down there Jeff. Take two paces back from the computer, and then shut it off. Your 10 step progam is not working it seems.

What you REALLY need is a pair of these...

I'll just say I'm "Captivated".

With all the techologies that are coming down the pike, I'm wondering if we'll all be listening to surround sound with only two speakers, one day.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
post #381 of 1936 Old 01-15-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrJr View Post

A quick question for ya, how would 5 of the minx10's blend with a outlaw audio M8 sub. Its rated up to 200hz I believe...actually its rated 29Hz-250Hz +/-3dB and the crossover on it allows full adjustment up to 200hz. Seemed like it would work to me but I thought i would ask the pro's first.

Im turning my office into a lil man cave area and getting a tv for pc hookup,gaming and movie watching and was really thinking about getting the minx's cause they sound like they will work perfect in here. Now heres my one problem though, my receiver is old(but it works fine i'll add) and doesnt have any mic calibration or crossover control, just a bass and treble knob lol. Its an older yamaha htr model but I love the sound it produces and really would like to keep it and use it in here, plus I dont have the money to buy a new receiver anyways. Do you think the minx's would be ok on a older 5.1 receiver like this that doesnt have crossover controls in it? I ask cause i dont want to buy them then risk blowing out the drivers. Anyways thats it for now and I really got some good reads and info in this forum, love the reviews you did on these speakers!!!

I've been thinking about this since you Posted. You might want to look into getting a desktop system like the Audioengine. http://audioengineusa.com/ This way, you don't have to use a receiver or Sub.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
post #382 of 1936 Old 01-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Member
 
WrJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

I've been thinking about this since you Posted. You might want to look into getting a desktop system like the Audioengine. http://audioengineusa.com/ This way, you don't have to use a receiver or Sub.

Its funny you mention this cause a while back I borrowed a pair off someone from work to test in here(before i got the notion to just turn this whole desktop into a mini theater all in one thing) and while they sounded ok they just looked goofy and to big in my placement area and the bass was really bloated on them, my ears seem to be getting pickier as I age lol. Right now Im just using a small pair of JBL duets in here(sound decent for the money and are easy on the eyes and ears)

Now Im back to wanting a mini entertainment area for myself beings I spend alot of time at my desk here. Im currently watching a few tv's that will work for what I need(pc monitor, movie watching, casual gaming, photography and video editing) then later on after the tv Im gonna work on the speaker selection to add.
WrJr is offline  
post #383 of 1936 Old 01-15-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Well, then, if you're looking for the smallest speaker with the best sound quality, look no further.

I'd be very interested in what you come up with for a Sub.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
post #384 of 1936 Old 01-15-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by markiedee View Post

So perpendicular now you own the min20s yourself do you have the crossover set to 120hz? i remember when you told me that i should have my sub and speakers set to 200hz.

When i ran the audyssey on my denon it set the speakers crossover to 200hz, when i decide to reconfigure my setup would you suggest that i change the crossover for the min20s manually to 120hz or leave them set at 200hz with the sub set to 200hz aswell?

Alright! I just read through all the PM's & email conversations between us and here's what I found that I said on 09/28/2011:

Quote:


What did your AVR set the crossover at? I would manually set it for 150 hz if it's any higher than that.


OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
post #385 of 1936 Old 01-15-2012, 07:17 PM
Member
 
WrJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

Well, then, if you're looking for the smallest speaker with the best sound quality, look no further.

I'd be very interested in what you come up with for a Sub.

And that my friend would be exactly what I am after . Small affordable speakers that sound good and a nice small sub that will fit the bill as well. I dont think a sub is going to be as hard to find as small good sounding speakers will be.
WrJr is offline  
post #386 of 1936 Old 01-15-2012, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrJr View Post

I dont think a sub is going to be as hard to find as small good sounding speakers will be.

You're right! I already found one for you that matches the low output of the Mirage MM-8. http://www.soundmatters.com/substage100/index.html

OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
post #387 of 1936 Old 01-16-2012, 06:38 AM
Member
 
WrJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

You're right! I already found one for you that matches the low output of the Mirage MM-8. http://www.soundmatters.com/substage100/index.html

Interesting to say the least lol....reminds me of those other things, eh bad memory what are they called butt kickers? lol...any expierience with this thing? I get scared to try stuff Im not familiar with sometimes and like to stick with what I know, but its a neat looking "little thing"
WrJr is offline  
post #388 of 1936 Old 01-16-2012, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrJr View Post

Interesting to say the least lol....reminds me of those other things, eh bad memory what are they called butt kickers? lol...any expierience with this thing? I get scared to try stuff Im not familiar with sometimes and like to stick with what I know, but its a neat looking "little thing"

For starters, I found this short Thread here on AVS:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=928449

Also, some reviews off the Net:

http://reviews.cnet.com/subwoofers/s...-31694573.html

Stunningly effective bass reinforcement from one of the smallest packages we've ever seen. http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Review...stage-100.aspx

The SUBstage 100 doesn't look anything like your typical subwoofer and that's a good thing. http://www.funkyfresh.com/index.php?...ment&Itemid=74

Great bass without the big (ugly) box. http://www.epinions.com/review/Sound...t_353865600644

OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
post #389 of 1936 Old 01-16-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I haven't been able to find any place that is selling the SUBstage 100. I wonder if they are bringing out a new model? They really do need to boost the amplifier up to, at least, 250 watts. Maybe, an 8 inch driver too?

OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
post #390 of 1936 Old 01-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Member
 
WrJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

I haven't been able to find any place that is selling the SUBstage 100. I wonder if they are bringing out a new model? They really do need to boost the amplifier up to, at least, 250 watts. Maybe, an 8 inch driver too?

Then I would be interested and it will get my attention more, very interesting sub and design though I will say that.
WrJr is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , Subwoofers , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off