Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #391 of 1919 Old 01-16-2012, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrJr View Post

Then I would be interested and it will get my attention more, very interesting sub and design though I will say that.

You'd think for a digital amp with a six inch driver that it would have 200 watts minimum.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #392 of 1919 Old 01-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Member
 
WrJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

You'd think for a digital amp with a six inch driver that it would have 200 watts minimum.

One would think so but man its such a tiny enclosure maybe thats why? Maybe cheap components inside? Who knows, if I had one I would disect it but I dont lol
WrJr is offline  
post #393 of 1919 Old 01-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Member
 
WrJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also do you know of any other satelite speakers that are good quality and cheap? I dont know alot about sats as I never had any, always had floor standers or nice bookshelves. I read alot of good things about the energy 5.1 package but the sub worries me on that....its like 399 for the whole kit
WrJr is offline  
post #394 of 1919 Old 01-16-2012, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrJr View Post

Also do you know of any other satelite speakers that are good quality and cheap?

You mean low cost?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1331363

Also, FYI, interesting discussion going on here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1377505

I ordered another Min 20 today. I just moved my two Min 20's to L&R and will put the new one in the center when it gets here on Wednesday.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
post #395 of 1919 Old 01-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Member
 
WrJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

You mean low cost?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1331363

Also, FYI, interesting discussion going on here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1377505

I ordered another Min 20 today. I just moved my two Min 20's to L&R and will put the new one in the center when it gets here on Wednesday.

Awesome thank you again! Guess I better eat then get me some coffee and start reading. Let me know how it sounds when you get the other min 20....amazon?
WrJr is offline  
post #396 of 1919 Old 01-16-2012, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrJr View Post

Awesome thank you again! Guess I better eat then get me some coffee and start reading. Let me know how it sounds when you get the other min 20....amazon?

Yes, Amazon...Hi-Def Lifestyle. Same place I purchased all of them from.

FYI, again.... That first speaker Thread I Posted are Full-Range Coaxial mounted speakers. Are you looking for 2-way designs too?

OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
post #397 of 1919 Old 01-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Member
 
WrJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

Yes, Amazon...Hi-Def Lifestyle. Same place I purchased all of them from.

FYI, again.... That first speaker Thread I Posted are Full-Range Coaxial mounted speakers. Are you looking for 2-way designs too?

Id like them to be a 2 way speaker but if the drivers are good like in these cambridge and good reviews on em Im game to at least look and bookmark em. I gotta read through all them threads you sent me later. Seems for the most part single full range drivers arent usually up to snuff for me or lack highs, I owned orb audio speakers before and while the midbass was decent they lacked everything else I felt and they sounded like poo cranked up to loud lol. Someone offered me full price so I parted with those things quick and then got axiom floor standers which were expensive but sounded great, looked great and were built like lil tanks
WrJr is offline  
post #398 of 1919 Old 01-16-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

I ordered another Min 20 today. I just moved my two Min 20's to L&R and will put the new one in the center when it gets here on Wednesday.

I in your general direction, and you know why too...

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is online now  
post #399 of 1919 Old 01-17-2012, 07:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Mark McIntosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow - I can't believe how much the MM8 has gone up in price!!
Mark McIntosh is offline  
post #400 of 1919 Old 01-17-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McIntosh View Post

Wow - I can't believe how much the MM8 has gone up in price!!

I know! We were very lucky. Makes me think I should have bought more to share with some of the future Minx owners. Now, they're stuck with purchasing the twice as expensive X300.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
post #401 of 1919 Old 01-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Member
 
WrJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

I know! We were very lucky. Makes me think I should have bought more to share with some of the future Minx owners. Now, they're stuck with purchasing the twice as expensive X300.

Yea you guys did get lucky for sure! I will not pay that for the x300, not when theres other online vendors with nice stuff for better prices. Dont get me wrong Im sure that cambridge sub sounds good but its just to expensive I think. Did you get your other min20 in yet?

On a side note I found a lil package that caught my eye last night. Boston Acoustics soundware they are called, theres so many different forms and packages though its kinda confusing. Some of the sats have smaller drivers and some bigger drivers. Bookmarked em though and will see what I can dig up for reviews sometime.
WrJr is offline  
post #402 of 1919 Old 01-17-2012, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I just ordered my Min 20 yesterday. I'm an Amazon Prime member and chose free 2-day shipping. I went back in to change it to overnight for the $3.99 charge but couldn't. Must be because it was less than an hour, within ordering, if it were to be shipped that day. Otherwise, normally, I can change the shipping speed within an hour of ordering. Anyway, it will arrive sometime tomorrow.

I looked at the Boston Acoustic models. I like their coaxial design but don't much care for the looks. Have you looked at the Mirage Omni-Polars? http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
post #403 of 1919 Old 01-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Member
 
WrJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

I just ordered my Min 20 yesterday. I'm an Amazon Prime member and chose free 2-day shipping. I went back in to change it to overnight for the $3.99 charge but couldn't. Must be because it was less than an hour, within ordering, if it were to be shipped that day. Otherwise, normally, I can change the shipping speed within an hour of ordering. Anyway, it will arrive sometime tomorrow.

I looked at the Boston Acoustic models. I like their coaxial design but don't much care for the looks. Have you looked at the Mirage Omni-Polars? http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

Yes I have those bookmarked also, a little high though for one. I took the bostons out cause the reviews were iffy on em. Hard to find good satelites ya know....just making me want these mins more and more lol
WrJr is offline  
post #404 of 1919 Old 01-19-2012, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Yesterday, I received my other Min 20 and got it all set up. I was listening to it nearfield and was comparing it to my other Min 20's that are already burned in. For sure, the sound is not acceptable when new out of the box. No upper bass, piercing highs and closed-in midrange. Luckily, all it takes is a couple of hours before they start to open up a bit.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
post #405 of 1919 Old 01-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Newbie
 
jmc167's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off, I would like to express my sincere thanks to all of you who have "gone before and shown us the light"!! This is fantastic information and please know that you have freed another poor soul from the Bondage of Bose dictated by my wife. I have read everything I can find (including the 14 pages of this thread) and decided on the Min 20's and so the remaining opinions and thoughts I request are as follows:

1) Do I pick up the $400 Mirage MM 8 from Vann's via ebay instead of getting S325 package and save $100?

2) I am obviously not an audiophile (been living with Bose for 10 years haven't I?) and a big Apple fan (ipad, iphone, iPad etc.) so will I notice the difference between pairing this system with Pioneer VSX-1121 and a Denon AVR2112CI? From what I have read the Denon will provide better sound, but I like the idea of being able to control everything from the iPad, but is this shortsighted??

3) Still being under the constraints of my wife, she is lobbing for putting the Sub in the cabinet we are having made to house this stuff and replace the huge 7' TV cabinet we bought to "hide the TV" since she has decided she would rather see the TV than have this huge thing in the living room. So will putting the sub in the cabinet be a bad thing? The doors of the cabinet are going to be a grid for air flow I can have the guy do the same for the bottom of the cabinet as well.

Any other thoughts, ideas, opinions or wild ideas welcomed and invited!!
jmc167 is offline  
post #406 of 1919 Old 01-28-2012, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc167 View Post

1) Do I pick up the $400 Mirage MM 8 from Vann's via ebay instead of getting S325 package and save $100?

This is a personal choice. Saving $100.00 is a lot to some. I've never owned a Cambridge X*** Sub....so I can't give you a comparison between the X300 and MM-8. Personally, I would spend the extra money on the Cambridge Audio Sub and be done with it. Unless, you can find a MM-8 for less than the current cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc167 View Post

2) I am obviously not an audiophile (been living with Bose for 10 years haven't I?) and a big Apple fan (ipad, iphone, iPad etc.) so will I notice the difference between pairing this system with Pioneer VSX-1121 and a Denon AVR2112CI? From what I have read the Denon will provide better sound, but I like the idea of being able to control everything from the iPad, but is this shortsighted??

I would go for the Pioneer unless there's something on that Denon that's a must-have feature. I seem to remember that the specs on the Pioneer is better with all channels driven versus the Denon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc167 View Post

3) Still being under the constraints of my wife, she is lobbing for putting the Sub in the cabinet we are having made to house this stuff and replace the huge 7' TV cabinet we bought to "hide the TV" since she has decided she would rather see the TV than have this huge thing in the living room. So will putting the sub in the cabinet be a bad thing? The doors of the cabinet are going to be a grid for air flow I can have the guy do the same for the bottom of the cabinet as well.

If we are comparing the size of the two talked about Subs that you are considering, they have a very small form factor. Therefore, cabinet placement is not needed. I would not put any Subwoofer in a cabinet that includes other equipment.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
post #407 of 1919 Old 01-28-2012, 06:18 PM
Newbie
 
jmc167's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Perpendicular -

Thanks so much, I appreciate the input, I was able to finally got some hands-on time with the Pioneer versus the Denon which totally pushed me over the edge as the Pioneer actually seemed to have much better fit and finish than Denon.

Also thanks for push towards the CS Sub, I am on my way!
jmc167 is offline  
post #408 of 1919 Old 01-28-2012, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc167 View Post

Perpendicular -

Thanks so much, I appreciate the input, I was able to finally got some hands-on time with the Pioneer versus the Denon which totally pushed me over the edge as the Pioneer actually seemed to have much better fit and finish than Denon.

Also thanks for push towards the CS Sub, I am on my way!

That's good to hear.
BTW, in case you're interested, here is the AVS Thread for the Pioneer AVR: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1330154

OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
post #409 of 1919 Old 01-29-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
taichi4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc167 View Post


...3) Still being under the constraints of my wife, she is lobbing for putting the Sub in the cabinet we are having made to house this stuff and replace the huge 7' TV cabinet we bought to "hide the TV" since she has decided she would rather see the TV than have this huge thing in the living room. So will putting the sub in the cabinet be a bad thing? The doors of the cabinet are going to be a grid for air flow I can have the guy do the same for the bottom of the cabinet as well...

I would not put your sub in a cabinet, unless you want to hear boominess, and weird resonance effects. In this case audio quality must trump decor, and the subs discussed are pretty small.
taichi4 is offline  
post #410 of 1919 Old 02-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Member
 
WrJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

Yesterday, I received my other Min 20 and got it all set up. I was listening to it nearfield and was comparing it to my other Min 20's that are already burned in. For sure, the sound is not acceptable when new out of the box. No upper bass, piercing highs and closed-in midrange. Luckily, all it takes is a couple of hours before they start to open up a bit.

So you have min 20's now all around? How are you enjoying it? I really wanted to buy them to complete my setup in this room(almost done ) but they were just out of my price range.

I got the tv and all hooked to the pc now and newegg recently threw a sale on the 5 set deal of energy rc micros(heard really good things about these, I hope I like em!) and caved in and bought them cause the price was great! I really like the looks of the mins and how small they are so I wanted something easy on the eyes that also sounded decent so just bought the energy's for now. Now my dilema is matching a darn sub to the tiny energy sats. They are rated down to 150hz yikes. I got exactly 350 left for a sub, the hard part now is me finding and reading reviews on some that will fit the energy's and fit under my desk here. I also read to try and keep a sub between the front 2 speakers when using sats, how true is that do you know? So thats why Im looking for something to fit under the desk here.

Your the one with an older sunfire sub right? How do you enjoy it? Im looking for something musical as well as decent for movies, I dont care about monster wall rattling bass, just something thats tight,hard hitting and precise. Theres an amazon seller selling a sunfire sds 8 sub for 350 and offered me a free upgrade to the sds10 for free. Hes an authorized dealer to. Problem is I cannot find any reviews at all hardly on this model of sunfire or let alone hardly any reviews on the brand, what I could find was some people whinin about buzzin or the psu in them going bad and costing an arm and a leg to get fixed.

Right now this is my list of subs that will fit, not sure on an 8" driver sub though....alot dont reccomend it for home theater useage. I want something thats gonna be decent for home theater as well as music and going to around 150hz or higher. I probly should post this in the sub forum sorry. I feel at home though in this area for some reason lol

Sunfire sds 10 $350 til end of the week
Energy s10.3 $350 for who knows how long
Outlaw Audio M8 $225 for a b stock....small driver but good specs
Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Compact out of stock right now(usually $399)
Cambridge Audio minx x200 $399...beautiful lookin lil sub but small drivers
WrJr is offline  
post #411 of 1919 Old 02-08-2012, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I'm not using my Sunfire Sub anymore. It only plays up to around 100 hz and wouldn't work with my Minx set. For your needs, I would stick with a 10 inch Subwoofer design.

Good luck with your Energy speakers....you're going to need it.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
post #412 of 1919 Old 02-08-2012, 04:09 AM
Newbie
 
Hans Brinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello guys. Great site you're running here, lots of splendid information.
I finally have to decide which surround set I shall buy. There are two types left on my shortlist: CA Minx S325 and the DefTech ProCinema 800. Can anybody convince me which set is the 'must buy' of these two? My current setup is a Yammie RX-V565 and 2 Dynaudio 52 speakers with an Oppo BDP-83SE. Shortly, I'll have the chance to listen to the Minx but I'll be unable to hear the ProCinema's, DefTech is not a commonly known brand for surround sets in Europe. The set must have 'audiophile qualities' as well as great home theater capabilities and it really must be small of size. My room is approx. 40m2 but the set has to cover half of the room.
Hans Brinker is offline  
post #413 of 1919 Old 02-08-2012, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Brinker View Post

Hello guys. Great site you're running here, lots of splendid information.
I finally have to decide which surround set I shall buy. There are two types left on my shortlist: CA Minx S325 and the DefTech ProCinema 800. Can anybody convince me which set is the 'must buy' of these two? My current setup is a Yammie RX-V565 and 2 Dynaudio 52 speakers with an Oppo BDP-83SE. Shortly, I'll have the chance to listen to the Minx but I'll be unable to hear the ProCinema's, DefTech is not a commonly known brand for surround sets in Europe. The set must have 'audiophile qualities' as well as great home theater capabilities and it really must be small of size. My room is approx. 40m2 but the set has to cover half of the room.

It looks like you answered your own question on which set to go for. I've owned or heard many of the Def Tech models and can recommend, without any hesitation, the Minx line.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
post #414 of 1919 Old 02-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Newbie
 
Hans Brinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

It looks like you answered your own question on which set to go for. I've owned or heard many of the Def Tech models and can recommend, without any hesitation, the Minx line.

Thanks Perpendicular for the quick response. Can you somehow specify why you recommend the Minx line, apart from size, instead of DefTech? Does Minx sound better in the lows/mids/highs/overall details than DefTech? Is there a difference in the quality of built? Is the speaker/sub placement much more forgiving for one or the other? I would really appreciate your input.
Hans Brinker is offline  
post #415 of 1919 Old 02-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Member
 
WrJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now that dont sound promising lol, thnx! If I dont like em I can return them, reviews seemed good on here of what I read and it sux when you have to buy blindly and have nothing around. Decisions, decisions with a sub though its proving to be a task! Problems finding one decent thats gonna play up to 150hz at least is not easy
WrJr is offline  
post #416 of 1919 Old 02-08-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
If both of you have researched the technology behind the Minx, you would know that they are the better smaller compact model. Def Techs are very good speakers. Especially, when you get into the ProMonitor 1000 and above models. Anything smaller, the Minx is the way to go. Personally, if I were to go into a bigger driver size speaker, it would be in the 4 1/2" to 5" range minimum. Being able to set a crossover to 80 hz or below is the better choice but, then again, there are trade-offs between all designs/models.

Hans,

Be sure to read the "White Paper" on the BMR driver.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
post #417 of 1919 Old 02-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Member
 
WrJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

If both of you have researched the technology behind the Minx, you would know that they are the better smaller compact model. Def Techs are very good speakers. Especially, when you get into the ProMonitor 1000 and above models. Anything smaller, the Minx is the way to go. Personally, if I were to go into a bigger driver size speaker, it would be in the 4 1/2" to 5" range minimum. Being able to set a crossover to 80 hz or below is the better choice but, then again, there are trade-offs between all designs/models.

Hans,

Be sure to read the "White Paper" on the BMR driver.

Well like you said theres trade offs between every speaker, model and brands. The thing is getting something that sounds good to your ears of what your money can buy. I can honestly say Im pretty impressed with these little energies! Sure they have some faults and aren't perfect but what damn speaker is unless you are rich lol. They have no bass(i was expecting that) but what does come out of them is pure and clean and not overwhelming. Do they sound like my def techs in the living room, nope but I also was not expecting that or anything close to the sound I enjoy from them lil beasts.

My whole goal was to just get something that sounded decent to me in my lil area Im setting up and these work perfectly for what I paid. Yep I could have gotten those lovely looking mins but I just couldnt afford to slap down 400 bucks for 5 of them. Now to do more sub searching for something to match these of what I can afford.

Oh and when you say both of you up there are you referring to me? I have researched my but off believe me I have been reading and more reading and taking in all that I could to find what I could afford. Yea maybe the mins sound best in their size but again I just couldnt afford them. Now had they been alot cheaper I would have bought them in a heartbeat, I have owned cambridge audio speakers when I was young and they sounded really good. I do alot of reading and researching on this board and highly enjoy and appreciate all the help I have gotten along the way
WrJr is offline  
post #418 of 1919 Old 02-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Newbie
 
andy782's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys.
I bought the minx 215 (5 min10 + X200) for my small lounge based on a lot of research and some advice here (unfortunately I couldn't demo).
Finished set-up last weekend and have just started testing them out. Paired them with a Denon 1912 (MultiEQ XT set the crossover at 150Hz as expected).

My first impressions are:
Excellent clarity / definition
Great performance in the couple of movies I've watched (albeit my first 5.1 setup)
I'm left disappointed by music performance thus far. Resolves most tracks satisfactorily, but seems to struggle a bit with others. They're not terrible, but they're just not great (and I had very high expectations). Specifically:
* seems to struggle a bit in the midrange, or more specifically, the midrange seems barely there (they are good high and low)
* the transition from speaker to sub seems a bit clumbsy / is pretty obvious on tracks which travel through the crossover a lot.
* the main problem I have is that I don't feel like I'm getting a really "full" sound. They're not exactly immersing me in sound (maybe a reiteration of the midrange comment)

I've triple checked my settings, but everything is in order.
I'm desperately hoping that this is a burn in issue as I've only got a couple of hours on them in stereo. Perpendicular and professional reviews say they improve up to 20-30hrs, but I was expecting this to be minor. I've always been of the opinion that break in was a bit of a myth and more to do with the listener than the speaker, but I'm kinda pinning my hopes to it now. If they don't dramatically improve I'll be left underwhelmed.
Maybe my expectations were too high for such a tiny speaker.

Plan on running a few hours of break-in tracks on them tonight, will keep playing them and will repost in a week once they're fully broken in.
andy782 is offline  
post #419 of 1919 Old 02-10-2012, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Andy,

You definitely need to give these a break-in period. They will open up quite a bit. For music, you should have gone with the Min 20, even if you did the L&R or three fronts. Regarding the transition from satellite speaker to Sub, I find that using two Subs instead of one helps to spread the bass more evenly when played above 100 hz but it is what it is when it comes to sub/sat systems. Where do you have your Sub located? Placing it between the three front speakers is best when using the 150 hz crossover setting. Also, what I find odd about the X200 is that it's upper -3 db point is located around 116 hz. This could very well be what's causing your "Hole" issue. You may have better luck with a Sub that has higher crossover specs.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
post #420 of 1919 Old 02-10-2012, 02:33 AM
Member
 
markiedee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I don't happen to suffer with that problem although i'm only running a pair of min20s and x300 sub alongside a denon 1911, i find the sound quality especially with music to be a real strong point with the minxs vocals and instrument separation is almost 3-dimensional in it's clarity...

As perpendicular has stated they do need some time to wear in before they really start to shine.

When i demoed the minx speakers i heard the min10s then the min20s and there is a definate difference in volume and output although the min10s are really a good sounding speaker.
markiedee is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , Subwoofers , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off