Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #721 of 1977 Old 08-20-2012, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ive linked my 3 min 21's together to act as my centre (relatively small space at the moment) and dude those things pump out some serious sound! cool.gif

thanks for all the advice uve given on this forum by the way Perp - its certainly helped me in my decision to buy my S325 set! (it absolutely rocks!!!!!!) biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1977 Old 08-20-2012, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

How do you have them linked? In parallel or in series? I wonder what ohms you are placing on the amp? I would only link 2 or 4 together.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #723 of 1977 Old 08-21-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanchard0b View Post

Ive linked my 3 min 21's together to act as my centre (relatively small space at the moment) and dude those things pump out some serious sound! cool.gif
thanks for all the advice uve given on this forum by the way Perp - its certainly helped me in my decision to buy my S325 set! (it absolutely rocks!!!!!!) biggrin.gif

This sounds interesting (and fun!). As Perpendicular says, we'd love some more information on how you've done it and maybe some pics too!
Regards
Ed
post #724 of 1977 Old 08-21-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridge_Audio View Post

This sounds interesting (and fun!). As Perpendicular says, we'd love some more information on how you've done it and maybe some pics too!
Regards
Ed

Hi Cambride Audio!

So pleased to finally have you back & comment on this thread - I noticed you stopped posting soon after I suggested that you should at least send Perpendicular a 5.1 set up of the Min 11's & Min 21's for evaluation as he seems to be the main source of feedback on these speakers & doing such great job for you guys - I was just wondering, will you be sending them anytime soon?!! biggrin.gif

Bazzy!
post #725 of 1977 Old 08-22-2012, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post

Hi Cambride Audio!
So pleased to finally have you back & comment on this thread - I noticed you stopped posting soon after I suggested that you should at least send Perpendicular a 5.1 set up of the Min 11's & Min 21's for evaluation as he seems to be the main source of feedback on these speakers & doing such great job for you guys - I was just wondering, will you be sending them anytime soon?!! biggrin.gif
Bazzy!

As I'm based in the UK and don't really have the authority to action that, it will have to wait I'm aftraid. Other members of the company are looking in though.
Ed
post #726 of 1977 Old 08-22-2012, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey everyone. I've been a long team reader of the forum and this thread, but I finally jumped in and bought a Minx S215 setup for my living room. I'm really happy with it, particularly when playing music. The soundstage is great, and the blend with the tiny woofer is out of this world. My one complaint is that when I'm watching television, or dialogue-heavy movies, I wish there was a little more depth to the voices (particularly male voices). I'm thinking about buying a single Min20 to use as a center channel. Here are my questions:

1. Anyone have an extra Min20 they want to sell me?
2. Anyone want to trade a lightly used Min10 plus some cash for a Min20 (I'm looking at you Cambridge Audio)?
3. If I just buy a Min20, how should I run a 6.1 system with my 7.1 AVR?
4. Is there any reason I should wait until a Min21, or on the other hand should I make sure to get a Min20 before the 21's start showing up in the USA?

And more generally, is getting a single Min20 for my center a good idea?

Thanks a ton!
post #727 of 1977 Old 08-22-2012, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpfreedland View Post

...is getting a single Min20 for my center a good idea?

Not by much unless you add a Min 20 for all three front channels. The reason is because dialog is not always just located in the center channel but also steered to both L&R channels. Re-read Post #718. It will help clear up your question regarding dialog (voices - also...more comments to follow)? BTW, what size room is your system in?

Another thought regarding voices with both Min 10 & 20. I liken the sound of the Minx satellites to listening to performers singing without a microphone and amplification as opposed to what you hear from even a larger 2-Way loudspeaker mid-bass driver. To me, the Minx produce a purer more natural sound quality over a larger box type loudspeaker. With the Min 10, raising the crossover higher than 150 hz will help with vocals but at the expense of chestiness coming from the lone subwoofer which I won't recommend. I find using two subs at a higher crossover helps spread the sound to be less localizable but my system is not the norm. The main problem lies with having to play the satellites at a higher crossover. I'd like to see Cambridge Audio design/implement a 3.25"/3.50" driver that could play down to a minimum of 100 hz. Yes, 100 hz would be my minimum recommendation. Another problem with the original Minx satellites is that not everyone is using the X*** subwoofer's crossover. Most, if not all, consumers who purchase the Minx Home Theater packages are using an AVR. And some, like me, do not have 120, 130 or 140 hz crossover settings. Though, I'm not sure if Pioneer is the only manufacturer or not to have less crossover setting choices (50, 80, 100, 150, 200 hz). This is definitely a limitation when using very small satellites for sure!

Disclaimer(biggrin.gif): I have absolutely no comment on the sound of the newer Minx Min 11 & Min 21 models in comparison to the Min 10 or Min 20 because I have not heard them.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #728 of 1977 Old 08-22-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

I have absolutely no comment on the sound of the newer Minx Min 11 & Min 21 models in comparison to the Min 10 or Min 20 because I have not heard them.

Hi Perpendicular!

I am trying hard for you to be able to just that! I'm sure the kind & appreciative folks at CA will accommodate this somehow! biggrin.gif

Bazzy!
post #729 of 1977 Old 08-22-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Perpendicular!
I am trying hard for you to be able to just that! I'm sure the kind & appreciative folks at CA will accommodate this somehow!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, my friend, but I feel you are beating a dead horse. wink.gif

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #730 of 1977 Old 08-22-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, my friend, but I feel you are beating a dead horse. wink.gif

Hi,

Well, you have always helped me out (& your thread & inputs, everyone else!) that I wanted to return some favours! Just thought that some of the famous "Good 'Ol American Service" might work in your favour! The CA Guy said his people are looking into it so heres hoping!

I am still seriously considering these but it is very increasingly difficult in my case - I want a small form factor subwoofer (ideally 12" cubed like my REL's), fully sealed & forward firing that goes up to at least 150hz as you recommended & they are next to impossible to find anywhere! There is the SVS SB12-NSD but that has a 12" Woofer which I have heard will not match at all well with the diminutive drivers of the Min11/Min21's & it is also quite expensive here!! Only other option is the BK Electric XL-200FF (stellar reviews) but it only goes up to 120hz - am wondering if either might work?

Bazzy!
post #731 of 1977 Old 08-22-2012, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:

There is the SVS SB12-NSD but that has a 12" Woofer which I have heard will not match at all well with the diminutive drivers of the Min11/Min21's & it is also quite expensive here!!

Where did you hear that? Personally, I think the exact opposite is true; the SB12-NSD is a fantastic little subwoofer that would probably blend very well with the Min's.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #732 of 1977 Old 08-22-2012, 09:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Where did you hear that? Personally, I think the exact opposite is true; the SB12-NSD is a fantastic little subwoofer that would probably blend very well with the Min's.

The sub should play to over 200hz, and looks like a good option.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #733 of 1977 Old 08-24-2012, 05:12 PM

Liked: 21
Hey all, I am a new member here (AVS Forum), but I have really been in the shadows reading several threads and posts for a while. I came upon this discussion and I am very interested in the Cambridge Audi Minx speaker set-up. I can hold off for a bit longer but I want to get the Minx in the 21's not the 20's. I know from this discussion that they are only available in other places outside the US. Does anyone know when Cambridge will be shipping these to the USA? I have been building my new system and have seen/heard or reviewed/read about several speaker systems.......GoldenEar Super cinema 3, KEF T305, RSL 5.1(not really the same as the rest of the group), Orb and Klipsch. I have been into A/V for some time now, about 40 yrs. My first system was MAC components, Thorens TT, and Bose 501's. Over the years my equipment has changed and now I am getting ready to purchase and new flat panel either the Panasonic TC-P60GT50 or TC-P55VT50 or TC-L55WT50. The larger 60 would be better as far as distance is a concern but it is minimal. I have the Pioneer Elite VSX-33 now and I still have my Thorens TT and Paradigm Phantoms (time to move on from the paradigms). Want a small () speakers system and no longer require the floor-standing models or desire to have speaker stands, I want to mount them to the walls. Boy this is turning into a long post for such a simple question, eek.gif, but I thought I would tell you where my thinking is. I appreciate all of the suggestions here and the reviews....I especially like what PERPENDICULAR has done with the positioning/movement of the speakers. I will use that as a guide. If anyone has an idea of a time frame on the new Minx I would appreciate it as I may have to go with something else if it will be many many months away................Thanks
post #734 of 1977 Old 08-27-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNThorens View Post

Hey all, I am a new member here (AVS Forum), but I have really been in the shadows reading several threads and posts for a while. I came upon this discussion and I am very interested in the Cambridge Audi Minx speaker set-up. I can hold off for a bit longer but I want to get the Minx in the 21's not the 20's. I know from this discussion that they are only available in other places outside the US.

Correction: The Min 11 & 21 are not yet available in Canada or the US. As far as we know, they are only in some markets in Europe.

Quote:

Does anyone know when Cambridge will be shipping these to the USA? If anyone has an idea of a time frame on the new Minx I would appreciate it as I may have to go with something else if it will be many many months away...........

You're guess is as good as mine. Maybe, eventually, someone from Cambridge Audio or Audio Plus Services (the N.A. distributor up in Canada) will chime in here.

Quote:

Boy this is turning into a long post for such a simple question...

How else would we get to know ya? wink.gif

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #735 of 1977 Old 08-29-2012, 12:27 AM

Liked: 12
Would anyone happen to know if the X200, 300 and 500 got updated along with the Minx speakers? Whether it's a slight cosmetic upgrade, frequency response changes, drivers, etc.

Also, are the speaker stands the same ones or are there newer ones?

I'm hoping the Min 21s will arrive in Canada by October. If not, I don't expect them at all. I know many of the Visions stores and even a local Hi-Fi AV dealer has either run out of speakers and subs or are only left with the Min 10s and X200s. I'm lucky to have bought all 5 Min 20's two weeks ago, since I had reserved them and the day I picked them up, the guy I was dealing with on the phone was like, "we had a guy come in an hour ago wanting to get a 5.1 Min20 system, and I told him someone will be here later. We still have the Min 10s. Customer ended up getting all 5 today".
post #736 of 1977 Old 08-29-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld View Post

Would anyone happen to know if the X200, 300 and 500 got updated along with the Minx speakers? Whether it's a slight cosmetic upgrade, frequency response changes, drivers, etc.

The word is that none of the Subwoofer models have changed.

Quote:

Also, are the speaker stands the same ones or are there newer ones?

Why? Is the style not to your liking? I wouldn't see a need for a change due to the fact that all four Minx models can be used with it.

Quote:

I'm hoping the Min 21s will arrive in Canada by October. If not, I don't expect them at all. I know many of the Visions stores and even a local Hi-Fi AV dealer has either run out of speakers and subs or are only left with the Min 10s and X200s. I'm lucky to have bought all 5 Min 20's two weeks ago, since I had reserved them and the day I picked them up, the guy I was dealing with on the phone was like, "we had a guy come in an hour ago wanting to get a 5.1 Min20 system, and I told him someone will be here later. We still have the Min 10s. Customer ended up getting all 5 today".

This could be a sign that the newer models are just around the corner. smile.gif Have you gone to one of these stores and peeked into their back room? Maybe, they're hiding them from prying eyes awaiting instructions for a huge release party. biggrin.gif

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #737 of 1977 Old 08-29-2012, 12:30 PM

Liked: 12
Hey Perpendicular, how are ya?

Anyways, the word is mum and tight lipped. I have asked likely 4 people across different stores and no one knows anything about the revised models. They said the computer didn't say anything in the inventory about any Min 21 or Min 11. When I asked one of the stores if they are ordering more stock for the Min 10 and 20 he said "no" and he wasn't sure about it.
post #738 of 1977 Old 08-29-2012, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's because the retail store only knows what the Distributor tells them. Sometimes, the end user (consumer) knows nothing because the retail store is told to be tight lipped about it. I know this because I used to work at a high-end store many years ago. And.....we only know what we know from the information that I'm able to extract from the Distributor and what a rep directly from Cambridge (when they decide to Post on this Thread) wants to tell us. All we can do now is remain patient.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #739 of 1977 Old 08-30-2012, 05:20 AM

Hi wink.gif
Im thinking to buy this set :
2 min 21 at front
1 min 21 central
2 min 11 back
Subwoffer x200

My room as 5,30m X 4m

This set is enough for my space?
Thanks and sorry about my english
post #740 of 1977 Old 08-30-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugohulk View Post

Im thinking to buy this set :
2 min 21 at front
1 min 21 central
2 min 11 back
Subwoffer x200
My room as 5,30m X 4m
This set is enough for my space?

That's almost identical to the size of my room. The only issue I see is the sub might be too small. It would be for me anyway, because I like bass.

Quote:

Thanks and sorry about my english

No worries - your English is fine. Certainly better than my Portuguese... tongue.gif

post #741 of 1977 Old 08-30-2012, 01:14 PM

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your response and your advice smile.gif
So you think that the x200 its small ?you advice x300 or other?
Tell me other thing please...i dont have the oportunity to see this set at live...its good to home cinema movies (bluray), i just want to see movies..no music.
Thanks for all...and if you want to know some words in Portugues i tell you smile.gif
Obrigado=Thanks
post #742 of 1977 Old 08-30-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So you think that the x200 its small ?you advice x300 or other? Tell me other thing please...i dont have the oportunity to see this set at live...its good to home cinema movies (bluray), i just want to see movies..no music.

The x300 is better, but for me it would still not be enough. Cambridge Audio makes very good speakers, but their subwoofers I don't think are worth the money; they cost too much for what you get. The x300 only goes down to 33Hz, which for movies is just not low enough. If at all possible you want a subwoofer that can go to around 25Hz (or lower, if you can find one). Unfortunately I don't know what brands are available in Portugal, so it's difficult for me to give a recommendation. You want to try and find something that has a frequency response of 25Hz-150Hz (better yet, 200Hz).

Quote:

Thanks for all...and if you want to know some words in Portugues i tell you smile.gif Obrigado=Thanks

você é bem-vindo wink.gif

post #743 of 1977 Old 08-30-2012, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Jim,
Thanks for your response and your advice smile.gif
So you think that the x200 its small ?you advice x300 or other?
Tell me other thing please...i dont have the oportunity to see this set at live...its good to home cinema movies (bluray), i just want to see movies..no music.
Thanks for all...and if you want to know some words in Portugues i tell you smile.gif
Obrigado=Thanks

Hi,

After Jim's recommendation, I am now considering the SVS SB12-NSD but it is quite expensive here in England (probably in Portugal too). The other possible contender is the BK Electric subs which have legendary following in the UK/Europe (think of them as the best European ID subwoofer provider). Their subs go very low but only have a Frequency Response up to 120hz (which might work with the Min11/21's as their specs say they start at 120hz but to use 140hz?). The guy at BK said if the crossover on their subs (which also goes up to 120hz) is bypassed, then their subs can go up much higher - up to 500hz. Still not sure on this so would welcome Jim's comments & views as the BK Subs are exceptional value for money & they ship to Portugal as well.

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers.htm

Jim/Jeff, do you think having Min10's for all satellite & Min 21's for the LCR duties will work well? By

Bazzy!
post #744 of 1977 Old 08-30-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After Jim's recommendation, I am now considering the SVS SB12-NSD but it is quite expensive here in England (probably in Portugal too).

The SB12 is a proven sub that can go very low, given it's size, and can also be crossed over in a range high enough to easily blend with the Min speakers. If you can afford one of these I very seriously doubt you would regret it, but I do certainly understand that might not be possible.

Quote:

The other possible contender is the BK Electric subs which have legendary following in the UK/Europe (think of them as the best European ID subwoofer provider). Their subs go very low but only have a Frequency Response up to 120hz (which might work with the Min11/21's as their specs say they start at 120hz but to use 140hz?). The guy at BK said if the crossover on their subs (which also goes up to 120hz) is bypassed, then their subs can go up much higher - up to 500hz. Still not sure on this so would welcome Jim's comments & views as the BK Subs are exceptional value for money & they ship to Portugal as well.

It's funny you should ask that question... about a year ago I contacted both BK Electronics and MJ Acoustics, because they each have small acoustic suspension subwoofers that look very intriguing. I was shocked to be treated with an appalling lack of professionalism and arrogance by representatives from both companies. The disrespect was palpable. Terrible folks, to be honest. I don't know if it was just a disdain for Americans that lead them to act like they did, or if they're both horribly run companies, but as far as I'm concerned they can stay on your side of the ocean. tongue.gif Hopefully they don't treat the people in Great Britain the same way.

Most (key word) of the specifications that BK Electronics quote could possibly be accurate, but a lot of them seem a bit optimistic to me. MJ Acoustics, on the other hand, completely fabricates numbers; claiming a small, acoustic suspension subwoofer with a 10" driver and 120 watt amp can reach 19Hz at -3dB is laughable. That's just not going to happen, at least not at a level where you could hear any of it. BK's claim that their sub can play up to 500Hz is pretty much impossible too, so I would be suspect of what both of them are telling you.

Whether either of those companies make a subwoofer that actually can work with the Min speakers is hard to say unfortunately, because it seems they aren't being too truthful with what they are telling us. Personally, I don't think it would be a good idea to get a subwoofer that can't play comfortably to a true 150Hz. If you get acoustic suspension speakers and sub they're more likely to blend better because at their respective crossover points they each have a more gradual drop off. The Min's are acoustic suspension, so it's just finding an appropriate subwoofer.

Quote:

Jim/Jeff, do you think having Min10's for all satellite & Min 21's for the LCR duties will work well?

Perpendicular could probably answer better then I, because he's tried every possible combination you could ever have smile.gif, but from my perspective I don't see why not. They seem to be pretty forgiving in that regard.

post #745 of 1977 Old 08-30-2012, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jim/Jeff, do you think having Min10's for all satellite & Min 21's for the LCR duties will work well?
Quote:

Perpendicular could probably answer better then I, because he's tried every possible combination you could ever have smile.gif, but from my perspective I don't see why not. They seem to be pretty forgiving in that regard.

My question would be why.....when you have the option to add all newer models? You should be able to mix and match any of the first and second generation models without a problem. Cambridge Audio has already stated this fact. Personally, I would only mix and match if someone already owns the first generation models. Otherwise, if I were looking at purchasing the new models and depending on the size of the room, I would get either all Min 11 or all Min 21.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #746 of 1977 Old 08-31-2012, 07:18 AM

Thanks for your comments,
Im a really newbie in this stuff...Jimwilson i find this subs
- yamaha NS SW500
- PIONEER SUBWOOFER S-51W
- Boston Acoustics ASW 250

Please if you have any other models tell me and i search here in Portugal or Europe who sell that products, i prefer withe models and not mush expensive smile.gif
post #747 of 1977 Old 08-31-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Im a really newbie in this stuff...Jimwilson i find this subs
- yamaha NS SW500
- PIONEER SUBWOOFER S-51W
- Boston Acoustics ASW 250

Of those three it appears the Yamaha might be the best, but I can't say for sure because I don't have experience with any of them. The specifications look better, but they might not be completely accurate.

Quote:

Please if you have any other models tell me and i search here in Portugal or Europe who sell that products, i prefer withe models and not mush expensive smile.gif

It's hard for me to make any recommendations because I don't know what companies sell in Portugal. In the US we are fortunate -- we have many to choose from -- but that also means I could suggest something I can get which you may not be able to. Can you get XTZ products? The W10.16 is a very nice subwoofer. Maybe that would work for you.

post #748 of 1977 Old 08-31-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The SB12 is a proven sub that can go very low, given it's size, and can also be crossed over in a range high enough to easily blend with the Min speakers. If you can afford one of these I very seriously doubt you would regret it, but I do certainly understand that might not be possible.
It's funny you should ask that question... about a year ago I contacted both BK Electronics and MJ Acoustics, because they each have small acoustic suspension subwoofers that look very intriguing. I was shocked to be treated with an appalling lack of professionalism and arrogance by representatives from both companies. The disrespect was palpable. Terrible folks, to be honest. I don't know if it was just a disdain for Americans that lead them to act like they did, or if they're both horribly run companies, but as far as I'm concerned they can stay on your side of the ocean. tongue.gif Hopefully they don't treat the people in Great Britain the same way.
Most (key word) of the specifications that BK Electronics quote could possibly be accurate, but a lot of them seem a bit optimistic to me. MJ Acoustics, on the other hand, completely fabricates numbers; claiming a small, acoustic suspension subwoofer with a 10" driver and 120 watt amp can reach 19Hz at -3dB is laughable. That's just not going to happen, at least not at a level where you could hear any of it. BK's claim that their sub can play up to 500Hz is pretty much impossible too, so I would be suspect of what both of them are telling you.
Whether either of those companies make a subwoofer that actually can work with the Min speakers is hard to say unfortunately, because it seems they aren't being too truthful with what they are telling us. Personally, I don't think it would be a good idea to get a subwoofer that can't play comfortably to a true 150Hz. If you get acoustic suspension speakers and sub they're more likely to blend better because at their respective crossover points they each have a more gradual drop off. The Min's are acoustic suspension, so it's just finding an appropriate subwoofer.

Quote:

My question would be why.....when you have the option to add all newer models? You should be able to mix and match any of the first and second generation models without a problem. Cambridge Audio has already stated this fact. Personally, I would only mix and match if someone already owns the first generation models. Otherwise, if I were looking at purchasing the new models and depending on the size of the room, I would get either all Min 11 or all Min 21.

Hi Jim & Jeff,

Jim, First of all, as a Brit, I apologise for the crap service you experienced with those two companies. Most here have very good & prompt service from BK & are extremely happy with them - the only issue being is that there can sometimes be a delay in shipping times as they make each subwoofer to order. I believe they actually made subs for both REL & MJ Acoustics. BK have certainly responded to any enquiry I have had promptly but it was a real shame they treated you in that manner. All I can say, is they have a cult like following here in Europe & reviewers & sub lovers think extremely highly of them & their products. Maybe, you should write & complain to the owner your experiences & seek an apology. As for MJ, they are a very small company with crazy high prices & noit much is ever discussed about them to my knowledge so if that is the way they treated you, they can just get lost.

I would buy the SB12-NSD, but truth be told, it is nearly double the price of the BK XL200 MKII so I hope your see where I am coming from! Also it is a 12" & bigger overall than I would have liked as the XL200 MKII is 10" has a smaller foot print. I could get two XL200 MKII's for nearly the same price! Having said that, I take what you say most seriously - even though past reviews seemed to praise BK's numbers & sincerity, I will take what you say on board first & foremost! Did you have an opportunity to read of the review of the XL200 MKII with the graphs & numbers I linked some time ago? Here it is again:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/5751-bk-xls200-df-mk2.html

Jeff, The only reason, I asked about using Min10's for Surround duties & matching with Min21's across the fronts is that as a superseded model, there are some great deals available on these now & I simply thought, that if there really, is not that much difference between the two on the effects channels,then it would be quite a cost saving, that is all. I would not compromise on the LCR was my thinking.

Thanks Guys!
post #749 of 1977 Old 08-31-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jim, First of all, as a Brit, I apologise for the crap service you experienced with those two companies. Most here have very good & prompt service from BK & are extremely happy with them - the only issue being is that there can sometimes be a delay in shipping times as they make each subwoofer to order. I believe they actually made subs for both REL & MJ Acoustics. BK have certainly responded to any enquiry I have had promptly but it was a real shame they treated you in that manner.

I was certainly surprised by the response, especially since it was virtually identical from both companies. Maybe they didn't like my accent... biggrin.gif

Quote:

I would buy the SB12-NSD, but truth be told, it is nearly double the price of the BK XL200 MKII so I hope your see where I am coming from!

I definitely can, which is why I said "If you can afford one of these I very seriously doubt you would regret it, but I do certainly understand that might not be possible". Finances play a huge part in a decision such as this. Believe me, if I had more $$ my HT would be a lot nicer then it is now. smile.gif

Quote:

Also it is a 12" & bigger overall than I would have liked as the XL200 MKII is 10" has a smaller foot print. I could get two XL200 MKII's for nearly the same price! Having said that, I take what you say most seriously - even though past reviews seemed to praise BK's numbers & sincerity, I will take what you say on board first & foremost! Did you have an opportunity to read of the review of the XL200 MKII with the graphs & numbers I linked some time ago? Here it is again: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/5751-bk-xls200-df-mk2.html

Just as I suspected; the numbers BK quote are exaggerated. According to that link here is the measured frequency response: +/- 3 dB points: 38.5 Hz - 200 Hz. The upper end of the range is fine for the Min's, but the lower end? That wouldn't even work for music, let alone HT. It appears to be around -6dB by 30Hz, which is about all you're going to hear. For me that wouldn't work, but I don't know how much bass you like so it may be different for you.

post #750 of 1977 Old 08-31-2012, 01:36 PM

So witch is the best :

NEW XLS200-DF MK2
Or
XTZ 99W10.16

Here in Portugal in can buy almost the same price

Thanks smile.gif
Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , Subwoofers , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page