Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1919 Old 09-25-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baswazz View Post

I have listened to a demo of the Min 20, X200 and X300 sub in my local store. It was just 2 Minx 20 on stands. It did not gave me a satisfied feeling because i only heard music (it was not attached to a TV) and it looked like it did not have many play hours and it definitely was not calibrated.

Did you listen to just the Min 20, without a sub? Or was the subwoofer hooked up too?

Quote:

Unfortunately i haven't found any comparison between the Minx 10/11 20/21 yet. Would be worth the extra money?

Based upon what information I've seen I would say the Min 11 and 21 are worth the extra money. It looks like there's a little more lower midrange, and that the sound might be a bit fuller with the new models. It also appears as though they can play louder, which might be something that's important to you.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1919 Old 09-25-2012, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Did you listen to just the Min 20, without a sub? Or was the subwoofer hooked up too?

Hi Jim, first i heard the min 20 without the sub, the salesman had to attach the sub first. First the x200 and after that the x300. The room was not that big, but i did hear the difference between the x200 and x300. The x200 sounded bare.
post #813 of 1919 Old 09-25-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:

It took me a couple of days to read the whole topic.
I would like to thank Perpendicular, JimWilson & Bazzy for the great effort they have put in to this.
I am really pleased Cambridge Audio is following this topic as-well. It shows it does care and respect the customers. That's a really positive sign. However i hope there will be a little more input from CA in the future.
The last years i am used to listen music and watching movies with the use of a Bose Lifestyle 18 set.
Now i getting my own place and i thought, one of the important things i need is great sound. So this is high on the list. I hear a lot of friends saying they want great sound but after a few years being on their own, they still watching movies though their tv speakers. Or buying a cheap set because they can't afford it anymore. So i want to avoid going in that direction. biggrin.gif
I was quite sure to go with Bose again (T10), only after reading, a lot of people are saying you can get a lot of more for less money, i decide to take a dive.
After some searching i first strumbled on Orb Audio. Only there are 2 negative points they are on the market for quite some time now, and i can only order them from America. This will bring up some extra costs as i am living in The Netherlands and makes it difficult to demo.
Then i struggled on Cambridge Audio Minx. Reading this topic i am aware now that there are more competitors. But as you guys may say the Minx are quite unique.
I have listened to a demo of the Min 20, X200 and X300 sub in my local store. It was just 2 Minx 20 on stands. It did not gave me a satisfied feeling because i only heard music (it was not attached to a TV) and it looked like it did not have many play hours and it definitely was not calibrated.
My budget is about 1200 euro with a max of 1600/1700 euro.
If i decide to go with Minx, i think i will go for the Minx 20 or 21 (5.1) if the budget allow it and a X300 sub as in the store i heard the difference between the the X200 and X300.
If i will move to a bigger place i think it will benefit this choice.
Unfortunately i haven't found any comparison between the Minx 10/11 20/21 yet. Would be worth the extra money?
Off-course the Minx will not do much without a receiver. The last 2 days i am reading about AV receivers. Now i understand why you guys are saying: you can get a lot more for less money. wink.gif
I was thinking to go for a Denon Receiver. Why Denon? I am a DJ and i have read a lot of good things about their Mixers.
Today i was checking the Onkyo receivers. I think i have found a really good deal with the TX-NR515 for €329. I don't think i can find a Denon for this kind of money which would be comparable: Denon AVR-1513 €379 and AVR-1713 €499. or lost years AVR-1912 €439.
Only negative i can find is that the Onkyo does not support Airplay, i haven't used it yet and i think i can live with this. And the + is i can add 2 subs (Perpendicular's favorite biggrin.gif)
Do you guys think the Onkyo TX-NR515 is good to use with Minx? They will be used 70% movies/series/tv and 30% for music.
Is the Audyssey 2EQ for Room Acoustic Correction enough?
any suggestions are welcome.
I would look at the Yamaha RXV673 rather than the Onkyo TX-NR515, I looked at both and ended up going with the RXV673 soundwas better and also easier to set up, What HIFI in its latest magazine put the Yamaha ahead of the Onkyo with the Yamaha being the best in the test (denon, Pioneer, Sony also tested).
post #814 of 1919 Old 09-25-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpbrown View Post

I would look at the Yamaha RXV673 rather than the Onkyo TX-NR515, I looked at both and ended up going with the RXV673 soundwas better and also easier to set up, What HIFI in its latest magazine put the Yamaha ahead of the Onkyo with the Yamaha being the best in the test (denon, Pioneer, Sony also tested).

Thanks for pointing me on this. I take a look on this one biggrin.gif
post #815 of 1919 Old 09-25-2012, 07:10 PM

Liked: 12
I am past my 30 days since I've bought my Minx speakers, so cannot return or exchange my Min 20s...But I really wanna get the Min 21's now, lol.

Anyone interested in buying 2 pairs, or all 5 of the Min 20's (no sub, as I am keeping my X300?

I'm in Canada, just so you guys know.
post #816 of 1919 Old 09-26-2012, 09:50 AM

Hi,

I have just recently decided to change my 5.1 set up to something a little more discreet and opted for the Cambridge Audio Min 10's, Found 3 local at Richer Sounds for £19.95 each (bargain i thought).

I am trying to get the best set up for them but am a little stuck i wonder whether someone could help please?

I have a Denon AVR 2807 Amp

3 Min 10's LCR

2 Q acoustics 1010 for Surrounds

Yamaha YSTSW205 Subwoofer

QED silver aniversary cable for rears and Cambridge symphony 400 for the Fronts but only a cheap sub cable.

I have run Room EQ on Amp to set crossovers and it says 200hz for fronts (which sounds a bit high)

60hz for rears (whichs sounds too low)

I have a high pass filter on Sub from 40hz to 140hz which is set at 140hz

And to top this off my amp will only select either 120hz crossover or 150hz.

I have ended up selecting 150hz for fronts and 80hz for rears and used a frequency sweep on a calibration disc i have to check for holes, and it was fine.

But when listening to anything on TV it sounds a tad boomy and am wondering have I set this up ok.

Hope I dont soundn too stupid.
post #817 of 1919 Old 09-26-2012, 12:05 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr240985 View Post

Hope I dont soundn too stupid.

IMHO, "the question that is stupid is the one that is not asked". Probably, "Perpendicular" or "Jim wilson" will chime in here but this, I believe, has been discussed before here in the post/thread. I know it is a long thread but there is also some great info about speaker placement, etc. (Wouldn't you say so Perpendicular eek.gif). I would give the thread a read if you haven't yet, but I am sure someone will chime in!!!
post #818 of 1919 Old 09-26-2012, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Hi,
I have just recently decided to change my 5.1 set up to something a little more discreet and opted for the Cambridge Audio Min 10's, Found 3 local at Richer Sounds for £19.95 each (bargain i thought).

Wow...they're giving them away!

Quote:

I am trying to get the best set up for them but am a little stuck i wonder whether someone could help please?
I have a Denon AVR 2807 Amp
3 Min 10's LCR
2 Q acoustics 1010 for Surrounds
Yamaha YSTSW205 Subwoofer
QED silver aniversary cable for rears and Cambridge symphony 400 for the Fronts but only a cheap sub cable.

I wouldn't recommend mixing speakers at all. Stick with one brand/model. You need consistency.

Quote:

I have run Room EQ on Amp to set crossovers and it says 200hz for fronts (which sounds a bit high)

Actually 200 hz is about right for the Min 10's.

Quote:

I have a high pass filter on Sub from 40hz to 140hz which is set at 140hz

Is this the max setting and you're using because there's no "Bypass" switch?

Quote:

And to top this off my amp will only select either 120hz crossover or 150hz.
I have ended up selecting 150hz for fronts and 80hz for rears and used a frequency sweep on a calibration disc i have to check for holes, and it was fine.

Good choice.

Quote:

But when listening to anything on TV it sounds a tad boomy and am wondering have I set this up ok.

Yes, you do have it set up right but it could sound boomy for a variety of reasons. One of them being a higher crossover setting and/or poor performing Subwoofer. Well, I guess that could be two things. biggrin.gif Also, Sub location. With a crossover above 80 hz, you really need to have the Sub as close to the center channel satellite as possible.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #819 of 1919 Old 09-26-2012, 06:58 PM

Excellent, I have rerun auto-setup and room eq in a couple of locations re set front channels to 150hz and rears to 80 hz but have listened to a few things in audessy and I must admit the bass is a lot better I think I am happy now.

My next investment will be swapping the rears, just need to find another bargain and I will snap them up again.

My previous front set up were genelec 8020 active monitors and I was a little worried the min 10's would not be upto the job but I have to say I am extremely impressed with these and anyone reading this thread looking at Anthony gallo,kef eggs or similar really need to demo Cambridge audio because IMHO the min range is the way forward.
post #820 of 1919 Old 09-27-2012, 02:15 AM

A update from my side.
I bought a Onkyo TX-NR515 it was on sale from a local store for only €329. I thought if i wait to long i am to late.
After reading the review Cpbrown has pointed me on. This was the list i wanted to choose from:

Yamaha RX-V673
Denon AVR-2113
Onkyo TX-NR515

This morning i get pointed that this review was not precise because the Onkyo is some series lower then Denon's 2100 serie and the 600 serie of Yamaha.
Which makes me doubt if i made the right decision.
If i compare the specs on this 3 AV receivers the specs are very comparable, also the price is comparable.

I see they are selling the Min21 for the same price as the Min20 which makes me really happy. This and the discount of the Onkyo TX-NR515 made my decision to go for it.

What do you guys think?
post #821 of 1919 Old 09-27-2012, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the answers Jim.

Yesterday I was down at my local hi-fi store. First I listenede to the min11 combined with the X300 sub, then the min21 with the X300. I have to say that for me it was very difficult to hear a big difference between the min11 and min21. The salesman in the store switched between the speakers many times while we listened to different kinds of music. He told me that the min21 had a little more punch, I think that might be true, but it was difficult for me to hear a significant difference. My immediate thought is that the sound quality of the two speakers is very identical – but that is just my immediate impression. To me both speakers sounded fabulous. It´s really hard to understand that such small speakers can produce such good sound. The X300 subwoofer sounds really really well, and it integrates very well with both the min11 and the min21. I really like the looks of those small minimalistic min11 speakers and combined with the X300, the system sounded very powerfull.

So now I have ordered five min11 and the X300. The package should arrive in a couple of days.

Now I am curious as to how they will sound in my livingroom and if they are as good as in the stores test room. I am going to use them primarily for movies, and when they sound as good with music as they did, I cant wait to hear them with blu-ray movies.

I will return when I get the speakers and tell more about my first impressions.

JP
post #822 of 1919 Old 09-27-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPDK View Post

I will return when I get the speakers and tell more about my first impressions.

Looking forward to it. Not many people have posted impressions about the Min 11 or 21 yet.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #823 of 1919 Old 09-27-2012, 01:58 PM

Liked: 17
Haven't been on this thread for a while but for anyone whos confused or even wondering what crossover to use with the new min11 and min21s, the folks at cambridge audio recommend this.

* Using a high powered amplifier lower down its volume scale results in lower distortion and better sound. Of course if you hear a distorted sound or mechanical ‘crack’ as the speakers hit their end stops, you are playing the
speakers too loud and this may cause damage. With an AVR the Min11/21 speakers should be set to ‘small’ with a crossover frequency of 140Hz. In this configuration, power handling is considerable increased.
post #824 of 1919 Old 09-27-2012, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiedee View Post

Haven't been on this thread for a while but for anyone whos confused or even wondering what crossover to use with the new min11 and min21s, the folks at cambridge audio recommend this.
* Using a high powered amplifier lower down its volume scale results in lower distortion and better sound. Of course if you hear a distorted sound or mechanical ‘crack’ as the speakers hit their end stops, you are playing the
speakers too loud and this may cause damage. With an AVR the Min11/21 speakers should be set to ‘small’ with a crossover frequency of 140Hz. In this configuration, power handling is considerable increased.

This was included under each Min 11 & 21 on the 1st page when I listed the speakers some months ago. wink.gif

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #825 of 1919 Old 09-27-2012, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have to say that for me it was very difficult to hear a big difference between the min11 and min21. The salesman in the store switched between the speakers many times while we listened to different kinds of music. He told me that the min21 had a little more punch, I think that might be true, but it was difficult for me to hear a significant difference.

This is what I hear (liken to a snare drum snap) between the Min 10 & 20 but the other difference I hear is that the Min 20 plays better with a lower crossover point than the Min 10. I would bet that this is still true, pertaining to the the newer models.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #826 of 1919 Old 09-27-2012, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A update from my side.
I bought a Onkyo TX-NR515 it was on sale from a local store for only €329. I thought if i wait to long i am to late.
After reading the review Cpbrown has pointed me on. This was the list i wanted to choose from:
Yamaha RX-V673
Denon AVR-2113
Onkyo TX-NR515
This morning i get pointed that this review was not precise because the Onkyo is some series lower then Denon's 2100 serie and the 600 serie of Yamaha.
Which makes me doubt if i made the right decision.
If i compare the specs on this 3 AV receivers the specs are very comparable, also the price is comparable.
I see they are selling the Min21 for the same price as the Min20 which makes me really happy. This and the discount of the Onkyo TX-NR515 made my decision to go for it.
What do you guys think?

Although, musically, the Onkyo is better but I say, go for the Denon. It has better Audyssey room correction.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #827 of 1919 Old 09-28-2012, 12:32 AM

Thanks for your reply Perpendicular, the better Audyssey room correction was what holding me of from buying the Onkyo.
But the huge € gap between the Onkyo and the others made my decision to go for the Onkyo.
I hope i don't regret it. smile.gif
post #828 of 1919 Old 09-28-2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

This was included under each Min 11 & 21 on the 1st page when I listed the speakers some months ago. wink.gif

My bad but like i said i haven't been on here for a while, if you remember the min11s and 21s weren't out when the min10s and 20s were released so i haven't gone back to the first page.
post #829 of 1919 Old 09-29-2012, 11:38 PM

Hi

Now I have got my new Minx 315 system connected (five min11+X300). I must say that I have no experience with the min10, so I can't compare it with the min11. So this is just my immediate reaction to my first experiences with the system.

I started my test by listening to different kinds of music and I was surprised how good music sounds on this system. I have to admit that I was a little worried that the system might sound a little thin, but that was not the case at all.

The min11 and the X300 works great together and they sound integrated. Voices has good clarity and the X300 delivers a deep and precise bass. So it's great with music.

But I experience one significant problem. Using the min11 as centerspeaker really don't work for me. The sound of voices in movies from the center speaker is very very thin. So I have chosen to disable the center speaker, and let the sound from the center speaker come from the left and right front speakers. That works much better and gives more power to voices and dialogues in movies, when setup like this.

Anyone who have experience with thin sound from the center speaker using the min10/11 and maybe some suggestions to other solutions. I am thinking on maybe returning the single min11 that I am using for center speaker and just use the left and right front speakers for center. Or maybe go to the store and change the min11 to a min21, but I worried that the min21 also sounds thin when used for center speaker. Anyone who has experience with the min20/21 as center speaker – how does it sound when primarily reproducing voices and dialogue?

I am going to use the system primarily for movies so it is very important for me that I don't experience thinness in the sound of voices and dialogues.

Can anyone give some feedback and maybe help me in this matter?

JP
post #830 of 1919 Old 09-30-2012, 03:48 AM

I think that where the min11 has one driver as opposed to two i could see where it could sound thin. When i brought my min20s with the x300 sub i was able to compare the sound between the min10 and min20s. The min20s sounded instantly better the sound was in my opinion more pronounced than the min10, obviously the min11 and min21s are even better so i'm sure that if you changed the min11 center for a min21 there should be a difference in sound quality.

I also don't see there being a problem as both the min11 and min21 share the same 140hz crossover. It's definately worth a shot i think.
post #831 of 1919 Old 09-30-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:

But I experience one significant problem. Using the min11 as centerspeaker really don't work for me. The sound of voices in movies from the center speaker is very very thin. So I have chosen to disable the center speaker, and let the sound from the center speaker come from the left and right front speakers. That works much better and gives more power to voices and dialogues in movies, when setup like this.
Anyone who have experience with thin sound from the center speaker using the min10/11 and maybe some suggestions to other solutions. I am thinking on maybe returning the single min11 that I am using for center speaker and just use the left and right front speakers for center. Or maybe go to the store and change the min11 to a min21, but I worried that the min21 also sounds thin when used for center speaker. Anyone who has experience with the min20/21 as center speaker – how does it sound when primarily reproducing voices and dialogue?
I am going to use the system primarily for movies so it is very important for me that I don't experience thinness in the sound of voices and dialogues.
Can anyone give some feedback and maybe help me in this matter?
JP

Hello JPDK.
The Centre channel will often benefit from using a 20/21 in our experience. This is not because it is working harder so much as being asked to perform a critical function (dialogue) convincingly. The tonal balance should not change from using the larger speaker as the driver performance and behaviour is the same. It is worth checking what your receiver has done to the centre in terms of auto setup as my experience is that some manual tweaking can improve results as well.

Aplogies for the time since I last posted. This time of the year is extremely hectic and I don't have as much forum time as I'd like.
Ed
post #832 of 1919 Old 10-01-2012, 05:12 AM

Thanks markiedee and Ed (Cambridge_Audio) for the feedback.

I would strongly consider your suggestions and maybe exchange the min11 to the min21 to use it as center speaker. But I still have some questions.

Ed (Cambridge_Audio)
I tried to turn up the level for the center speaker in the reciever settings and that gave it a bit more power and it sounded better than before. But still it sounds like the min11 is simply to small to work properly as a center speaker. I think it still sounds tiny and thin.

Do you think the sound from the center speaker would benefit from fact that the min21 is a larger speaker – that it has larger physical dimensions?

Should I give the center speaker some time to mature or will I be better off with the min21 as center speaker? I only have the opportunity to exchange within 14 days.

markiedee
Are you using the min20 as center speaker and if you do, how does it sound to you. Do you experience the sound from the center speaker as tiny or thin in any way?

JP
post #833 of 1919 Old 10-01-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you using the min20 as center speaker and if you do, how does it sound to you. Do you experience the sound from the center speaker as tiny or thin in any way?

I hate to be the one to break the news to you but whether you're using a Min 10 or Min 20, both models are going to have a thin sound to them due to the higher crossover point and the tiny drivers. I have not heard the newer Min 11 or 20 but I'm going to assume that the issue will be the same. The Minx system does so many things right but the size of the drivers precludes them from being the perfect speaker.

BTW, there is a method (discussed elsewhere in this Thread) that you can perform to make the speakers sound better but it is not always practicable for most.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #834 of 1919 Old 10-01-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:

Thanks markiedee and Ed (Cambridge_Audio) for the feedback.
I would strongly consider your suggestions and maybe exchange the min11 to the min21 to use it as center speaker. But I still have some questions.
Ed (Cambridge_Audio)
I tried to turn up the level for the center speaker in the reciever settings and that gave it a bit more power and it sounded better than before. But still it sounds like the min11 is simply to small to work properly as a center speaker. I think it still sounds tiny and thin.
Do you think the sound from the center speaker would benefit from fact that the min21 is a larger speaker – that it has larger physical dimensions?
Should I give the center speaker some time to mature or will I be better off with the min21 as center speaker? I only have the opportunity to exchange within 14 days.
markiedee
JP

Hi i only ran a pair of min20s and have never experienced a thin sound, to be honest i have been amazed by these speakers when watching movies and listening to music with the lights off you would swear that you were listening to larger speakers.
post #835 of 1919 Old 10-01-2012, 12:17 PM

For those with the Min 20s or Min 21s:

What size/gauge speaker wire do the binding posts take (i.e., max size--I'm not looking to run 24ga zip wire to these)?
post #836 of 1919 Old 10-01-2012, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If you are using the supplied banana jacks on the speaker, use no larger than 16 gauge. I use solid core 16 gauge with no problem. I wouldn't imagine you needing any gauge larger than this. If you are using your own cable terminated with banana plugs, the sky's the limit. 24 Gauge seems fairly small. So, depending on the run, you should not be using anything smaller than 18 gauge. Remember, the higher the gauge number, the smaller the wire.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #837 of 1919 Old 10-01-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Here's a really awkward translation from a Dutch review of the Min 21.

http://www.google.com/translate?langpair=nl|en&u=http://www.alpha-audio.nl/2012/02/cambridge-audio-minx-min-21/

Reading it, even through the peculiar constructions, it's clear this is a better speaker design. I would imagine the conventional driver in the Min 21 which complements the BMR, will more adequately fill the hole between sub woofer and BMR.
post #838 of 1919 Old 10-01-2012, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Here's a really awkward translation from a Dutch review of the Min 21...

I finally added this link to the first Post/Page. I wasn't too sure what to call the review system since CA does not have a package with a pair of Min 21 and X200 Sub. So, I called it S222.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #839 of 1919 Old 10-01-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

If you are using the supplied banana jacks on the speaker, use no larger than 16 gauge. I use solid core 16 gauge with no problem. I wouldn't imagine you needing any gauge larger than this. If you are using your own cable terminated with banana plugs, the sky's the limit. 24 Gauge seems fairly small. So, depending on the run, you should not be using anything smaller than 18 gauge. Remember, the higher the gauge number, the smaller the wire.

Thanks - no I was joking about 24ga. I have 12ga pre-run in the walls, so will have to terminate with some banana plugs I guess.
post #840 of 1919 Old 10-01-2012, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdrew View Post

Thanks - no I was joking about 24ga. I have 12ga pre-run in the walls, so will have to terminate with some banana plugs I guess.

Sorry! I read it as you were going to use 24 gauge. eek.gifbiggrin.gif

OPPO BETA GROUP
Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , Subwoofers , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page