Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #61 of 1936 Old 09-01-2011, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by markiedee View Post

Avfann can ask what sub your using alongside the min 10s?

I had planned to use an old early 90's Mission sub with a 8" driver but it was still in the garage and the box is huge compared to the one i already had in the house which is a PSB Alpha sub with the same size driver. I had it at 150hz (max on the sub) but i didn't like the sound so i turned it down to ~80hz, at which point i noticed the drop-off that was mentioned earlier. but heck, it sounds good. i didn't know Lionel Richie sounded that good. Say You...Say Me...

The subs I have from the early 90's may seem to do the job but maybe a newer sub will be better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1936 Old 09-01-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

Wow, this Thread is on fire!

I'll have to measure my room again but I seem to remember that it's around 15 x 20.

Yes, that is on the small side and you should be okay with all Min 10's. I know Jim recommends you try a Min 20 in the center but the Min 10 is pretty powerful & clear for a 2 1/2" driver.

Yes, the Minx will be different than the "Other" brands for sure. They sound closer to a mega dollar speaker when it comes to imaging and soundstaging focus.

I couldn't answer that because I've only seen the measurements on the X200 from the "Home Theater" review. Personally, I would rather add a Mirage MM6 or MM8 to the mix. Also, check out the Energy ESW-M6 & ESW-M8, which are the same exact Subwoofer. I feel their measurements cover that "Hole" better which seems to be a problem with Satellite/Sub combos.

That was fast! You must have a dealer around the corner? Glad to hear you like them even before they're fully broken-in. Experiment by removing the front grill while listening. You might be in for a pleasant surprise. Keep us Posted!

I had taken a big gamble before posting my original question about power handling with the Minx 10 and had ordered the 3 already. Your quick reply to my question just eased my uncertainty and I didn't trust the sales person.

I may just get a Min 20 for the center as Jim had recommended but I'm completely happy with the sound given my space. If I have guests over at my house, I think they will be surprise at the imaging and yet won't feel like they are being drowned/beaten-up with huge attacking sound in such a small space.

Question about the subs: Can Home Audio subs be set-up like Car Audio ie I know car audio guys were using big drivers 12"+ to handle the really low frequencies but then they would add a 8" or even a 6" "midbass" sub to handle frequencies above what the 12"+ sub was playing.

Is that possible in Home Audio? For example, can I get one 12" sub to play frequencies below 50hz and then have a 6" or 8" sub play 50hz - 150hz.
post #63 of 1936 Old 09-01-2011, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avfann View Post

Question about the subs: Can Home Audio subs be set-up like Car Audio ie I know car audio guys were using big drivers 12"+ to handle the really low frequencies but then they would add a 8" or even a 6" "midbass" sub to handle frequencies above what the 12"+ sub was playing.

Is that possible in Home Audio? For example, can I get one 12" sub to play frequencies below 50hz and then have a 6" or 8" sub play 50hz - 150hz.

Have you seen this Thread?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1124011

A few months ago, I started to read it, wound up on page 40, and haven't finished the Thread. I may need to re-visit it. My goal, when I added two more Subs to the Minx, I was going to use my Sunfire Sub to play <50 only. I think it's a great idea. So, my dilemma now is, should I add two more Subs and either Min 10's or 20's? Or, go to a different brand of speaker altogether? Since, I already have the Min 10's, I'm leaning towards keeping them. IMO: One has to be careful when using 3 Subs with the Min 10 because you don't want to overpower the small speakers with bass. So, sticking with two smaller 6" driver Subs would be the better match. With a Min 20 system, experimentation would be the key to obtaining the best blend.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #64 of 1936 Old 09-01-2011, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzine View Post

My room size is 15 x 10

Either model would work but I'd go with the bigger X300 or comparable Subwoofer.
Especially, since you're planning on Min 20's for the front three.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #65 of 1936 Old 09-01-2011, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:

I had it at 150hz (max on the sub) but i didn't like the sound so i turned it down to ~80hz, at which point i noticed the drop-off that was mentioned earlier.

Yup, that "drop off" is more then likely a rather large hole you created in the frequency response; you're probably getting nothing from 80-Hz to around 140Hz which is a pretty critical area, in spite of it's relatively small (proportionally) size. You might want to re-think that strategy.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #66 of 1936 Old 09-01-2011, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can you? Yes. Do you want to? Probably not.

As Perpendicular said, it can be done (he may actually end up doing that very thing himself). But a configuration such as that can be complex to properly setup and tune, and in a room the size of yours the benefit might not equal the effort.

There are subs, like the Emotiva Ultra 12, that can blend rather seamlessly with smaller satellites. Perhaps something along those lines is worth considering instead.

post #67 of 1936 Old 09-01-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:

Have you seen this Thread?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1124011

No offense but there's a whole bunch of geeks over on that thread. But no, I haven't. I just now looked through the first page and it talks about 1 large sub vs 3 small subs. Did it change from that to where the 3 small subs played dedicated frequency ranges?

Then someone mentioned about placing the subs all the way around in different locations throughout the room (i assume tuned to the same frequency; but that to me, would just fill the room with bass and not necessarily compensate for the gap from the drop-off for having small satellite speakers.

But I will read that thread more and let the pros debate and just absorb the knowledge. /popcorn time
post #68 of 1936 Old 09-01-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Can you? Yes. Do you want to? Probably not.

As Perpendicular said, it can be done (he may actually end up doing that very thing himself). But a configuration such as that can be complex to properly setup and tune, and in a room the size of yours the benefit might not equal the effort.

There are subs, like the Emotiva Ultra 12, that can blend rather seamlessly with smaller satellites. Perhaps something along those lines is worth considering instead.

I totally agree Jim, I'm perfectly fine with the Min 10s and the sub sound currently. I might tinker with it some more and even get a Min 20 to swap out sometimes as the center channel and maybe look into a more current sub like the one u mentioned since mine are from the 90s. it was a big gamble not having to demo the Min 10s but i'm glad it turned out nicely for me. luckily I only have a 10x12 space to work with.
post #69 of 1936 Old 09-01-2011, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I really like the way classical music sounds on my system.
Of course, I have a Subwoofer that plays down to a rated 18 Hz +/- 3 db which helps.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #70 of 1936 Old 09-01-2011, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No offense but there's a whole bunch of geeks over on that thread. But no, I haven't. I just now looked through the first page and it talks about 1 large sub vs 3 small subs. Did it change from that to where the 3 small subs played dedicated frequency ranges?

Then someone mentioned about placing the subs all the way around in different locations throughout the room (i assume tuned to the same frequency; but that to me, would just fill the room with bass and not necessarily compensate for the gap from the drop-off for having small satellite speakers.

But I will read that thread more and let the pros debate and just absorb the knowledge. /popcorn time

Sorry, but aren't we all just a bunch of Geeks in this hobby?

I guess, it's really a matter of your size room and how many Subwoofers one can get away with using. I'm from the "Old School" where I feel using two Subwoofers are better than one. Yes, the gap. You really need the correct "Woofer" to cover what the Minx satellites are deficient in. Most "True" Subs are meant (designed) to be played below around 100 hz, sometimes lower.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #71 of 1936 Old 09-01-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:

Sorry, but aren't we all just a bunch of Geeks in this hobby?

I guess, it's really a matter of your size room and how many Subwoofers one can get away with using. I'm from the "Old School" where I feel using two Subwoofers are better than one. Yes, the gap. You really need the correct "Woofer" to cover what the Minx satellites are deficient in. Most "True" Subs are meant (designed) to be played below around 100 hz, sometimes lower.

Sorry... I am a newbie and want to ask is the X200 or X300 sub is not able to play below 100hz?
post #72 of 1936 Old 09-01-2011, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzine View Post

Sorry... I am a newbie and want to ask is the X200 or X300 sub is not able to play below 100hz?

Yes they can play lower than 100 hz. All Subwoofers play below 100 hz, 80 hz, 60 hz and 50 hz. Just how much lower that particular Sub will go depends on the design. The Minx X200 is rated at 39 hz -6 db, then drops off below that point. The Home Theater review measurements comes in at 34 hz -6 db. Each and every room will show a different frequency response but these measurements are in the ballpark, so to speak. The Cambridge Audio Website lists the X300 with a 33 hz -6 db rating. Not sure if there are any measurements from any of the magazine reviews yet. Yes, smaller Subwoofers have their limitations on how low they will go. If you listen to a lot of classical music and/or want lower bass response, check out the X500 or similar Sub with a 10" driver.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #73 of 1936 Old 09-02-2011, 03:29 AM

Quote:

Yes they can play lower than 100 hz. All Subwoofers play below 100 hz, 80 hz, 60 hz and 50 hz. Just how much lower that particular Sub will go depends on the design. The Minx X200 is rated at 39 hz -6 db, then drops off below that point. The Home Theater review measurements comes in at 34 hz -6 db. Each and every room will show a different frequency response but these measurements are in the ballpark, so to speak. The Cambridge Audio Website lists the X300 with a 33 hz -6 db rating. Not sure if there are any measurements from any of the magazine reviews yet. Yes, smaller Subwoofers have their limitations on how low they will go. If you listen to a lot of classical music and/or want lower bass response, check out the X500 or similar Sub with a 10" driver.

THANKS but X500 is too expensive.
post #74 of 1936 Old 09-11-2011, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Added "The Hi-Fi Journal" review of the S212 (used as a desktop system) to the first Post.
Also, added informative "White Paper" link for the BMR driver used in both the Min 10 & 20.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #75 of 1936 Old 09-13-2011, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Added DVD Home Theater review of the S315 system to the first Post.

For those following this Thread, Yesterday, I ordered two Mirage MM-8 Subwoofers to go along with my Min 10s and Sunfire True Subwoofer. I plan on utilizing the Sunfire Sub only for the frequencies below 40 hz. I'm not sure where I'll end up with the crossover setting on the Mirage Subs (150 or 200 hz). It'll be a blast figuring that one out. The reason why I opted for the Mirage Sub is because, frankly, I did not like what I was seeing in the measurements of the X200 and wanted something with an 8 inch driver. And I did say measurements, not specs. A couple of magazine reviews were showing the X200's upper limit -3db level at just over 100 hz. I wanted something out to, at least, 200 hz. Instead of paying $600 for the X300 (8 inch driver), I saw the Mirage MM-8 on sale at Vanns, and picked up two for less than $600.00. I consider this a bargain and I'd like to thank Zach, over at Vanns, for the wonderful customer service. I really didn't feel the X300 measurements were going to read much differently than the X200's upper limit spec. Anyway, my Subs should arrive by weeks end.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #76 of 1936 Old 09-13-2011, 08:22 AM

Liked: 17
Hi, i'm also part of the cambrigde audio minx collective on here as of today, i had a nice demo of them and to be honest with you i was left blown away with the sound quality of these things.

i heard both the min 10s and min 20s alongside the x300 subwoofer. looking at it's diminutive dimensions will you leave you thinking that it's not powerful but my word the bass on this little thing is something to behold simply amazing!

It sounded deep punchy and tight, i'm actually downsizing from some monitor audio Bx2 standmount speakers, Bx center speaker and an 150watt 10 inch downward firing subwoofer which i have sold for something a little more compact.

I was contemplating buying the x500 but i was told that it is seriously powerful and might be a little bit to overkill for my studio flat.

The x300 sub seems like it will be enough for me and a good compromise as i didn't even consider the x200. I just hope that i don't get buyers regret which i think i won't buy not getting the x500 lol...

I brought a pair of min20s with the x300 sub which will be partnered with a denon 1911. I will update with pics when i got it all setup and calibrated but that won't be until thursday. one final word to anyone on the fence about the x300 should give it a try i think you will pleasantly surprised.
post #77 of 1936 Old 09-13-2011, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Welcome to the Minx club! I'm happy to hear you went with a larger Sub versus the X200. You should be much happier. We look forward to your photos! Remember, two things. Be sure to let the speakers "Burn-in" to reach their full potential, and while listening, remove the front grills and compare the difference with them on and off.

Earlier, I stated that the Min 10 and, especially, the Min 20, may be overpriced. After thinking I may have damaged one of the drivers on my Min 10, I took it apart to see how easy it was going to be to replace it. After seeing how it was constructed from the inside out, I now feel that these little cubes are a bargain. Regarding that driver I thought I damaged.....the next day after playing music really loud, I heard that bad scratchy sound one hears when the driver starts to fail. The next day, I tested it again and, unfortunately, it was still there. That was on Sunday, a week ago. That following Monday, I called the North American distributor and the gentleman gave me two options. Send the speaker in for repair (Canada) or he'll send me out a driver to replace myself. I chose to replace the driver myself. On Saturday, I decided to watch a couple of music videos knowing all along my left channel was damaged and I shouldn't play the system to loud. Well, guess what? That didn't work. I ended up cranking it up but not too loud. Though, loud enough to where the speaker should have started to distort but it didn't. I was a bit perplexed so I ran a bunch of tests to see if I could hear the speaker distort. No matter what I tried the speaker would not distort. I was flabbergasted! I now call the Minx miracle speakers. I will keep my ear on the situation. At least, tomorrow, I will have a spare driver just in case anything happens again.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #78 of 1936 Old 09-13-2011, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

BTW: Getting back to what's on the inside of a Minx. Upon opening the unit up, I discover the driver (dual voicecoil), a passive filter network, wiring (of course) and some pretty thick damping material. I will try to open one up again and take some photos to Post.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #79 of 1936 Old 09-13-2011, 12:41 PM

Yeah with every speaker i have owned theres always been a lengthy running in period, i also have a break in cd which i will set to repeat and leave running for a while.

My only thing is now i'm thinking should i go back to the shop and exchange the x300 for the x500, i haven't had time to even open the boxes yet but i'm already thinking should, i should i not....

I'm driving myself mad hear what do think perpendicular?
post #80 of 1936 Old 09-13-2011, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think you should be fine with the X300. I mean, how low do you want it to play? Although, I have not heard any of the CA Subs, personally, I decided to go with another brand for two reasons. Price, I could get two comparable X300's for the same price. The other issue I had is that I want something to fill that "Hole" that is missing with sub/sat combos so I chose a sub that has a -3 db upper limit of over 200 hz. I figured, if I do end up crossing the Min 10's at 200 hz, at least, the Subs will be capable. Besides, you can never have too much bass and multiple subs (two or more) are always better than using just one. If I were you, I'd call Vanns and see if you can get them to sell you two Mirage MM-8's for $600.00. Ask for Zach and tell him I sent you.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #81 of 1936 Old 09-13-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:

I think you should be fine with the X300. I mean, how low do you want it to play? Although, I have not heard any of the CA Subs, personally, I decided to go with another brand for two reasons. Price, I could get two comparable X300's for the same price. The other issue I had is that I want something to fill that "Hole" that is missing with sub/sat combos so I chose a sub that has a -3 db upper limit of over 200 hz. I figured, if I do end up crossing the Min 10's at 200 hz, at least, the Subs will be capable. Besides, you can never have too much bass and multiple subs (two or more) are always better than using just one. If I were you, I'd call Vanns and see if you can get them to sell you two Mirage MM-8's for $600.00. Ask for Zach and tell him I sent you.

I'm actually from england and got the speakers from a hi-fi / av shop, i should be fine with the x300 but then have that niggling thought of but what if i got the x500?

to be honest with you on types of music the x300 excelled and just surprised me because your looking at this small cube pumping out some deep clean undistorted bass it doesn't look right in all honesty but it sounded so freakin good.

One thing the sales clerk said to me was that the sub has been fully run in and that it has been played daily.

If you were in my position would you just be content on saving a few pounds and sticking with the x300 or would you add the difference and go for the x500?
post #82 of 1936 Old 09-13-2011, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Jeff had to leave for work (he works 2nd shift). He asked if I could toss in my 2 cents...

Quote:

Price, I could get two comparable X300's for the same price.

I believe he meant to say MM-8 and not X300 there, so I wanted to clarify that first (to avoid any potential confusion).

The X300 is not a weak sub, but whether it will work for you depends upon several factors. Things like how big your room is, how loud do you watch TV, how much bass "slam" do you like, etc. However, since you've already heard the X300 -- and were seemingly pleased with it's performance -- there's no reason to believe you would feel any differently now that you have it home.

That being said... when I hear the term 'studio flat' I imagine an environment which isn't very large, and if that's the case in your situation I suspect the X300 would meet your needs.

post #83 of 1936 Old 09-13-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:

Jeff had to leave for work (he works 2nd shift). He asked if I could toss in my 2 cents...

I believe he meant to say MM-8 and not X300 there, so I wanted to clarify that first (to avoid any potential confusion).

The X300 is not a weak sub, but whether it will work for you depends upon several factors. Things like how big your room is, how loud do you watch TV, how much bass "slam" do you like, etc. However, since you've already heard the X300 -- and were seemingly pleased with it's performance -- there's no reason to believe you would feel any differently now that you have it home.

That being said... when I hear the term 'studio flat' I imagine an environment which isn't very large, and if that's the case in your situation I suspect the X300 would meet your needs.

Your exactly right it's a medium sized room, so maybe the x300 will be enough. I just got caught up on having as much bass as possible without thinking of upgrading again.
post #84 of 1936 Old 09-15-2011, 10:27 AM

After purchasing the x300 i started thinking that as this going to be my last speaker purchase i may aswell do it right for the last time, without thinking about upgrading the sub... so i chose to add the difference and get the x500.

I still haven't managed to setup everything but tomorrow will definately be the day that everything gets hooked up. There will be lots of pictures and opinions so stay tuned!!
Heres a picture for now to wet the appetite...
LL
post #85 of 1936 Old 09-15-2011, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After purchasing the x300 i started thinking that as this going to be my last speaker purchase i may aswell do it right for the last time, without thinking about upgrading the sub... so i chose to add the difference and get the x500.

Can't make up your mind, eh? You and Jeff will get along just fine then...

post #86 of 1936 Old 09-15-2011, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I still haven't managed to setup everything but tomorrow will definately be the day that everything gets hooked up. There will be lots of pictures and opinions so stay tuned!!
Heres a picture for now to wet the appetite...

I'm happy you upgraded to the X500. I was going to say, do it, but decided to stay out of it and let you make your own decision. On the flip side, I would have gone with two X300's but you already know that.

Quote:

Can't make up your mind, eh? You and Jeff will get along just fine then...

This is true but I finally did make up my mind with a little nudge from you.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #87 of 1936 Old 09-15-2011, 11:34 AM

What's the best setting to use on the min20s 150hz?
post #88 of 1936 Old 09-15-2011, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What's the best setting to use on the min20s 150hz?

I feel it is. What are your options? Are you using the crossover on the Sub or AVR? The markings on your Sub should show 130 hz but when using your AVR, it can vary.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #89 of 1936 Old 09-15-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:

I feel it is. What are your options? Are you using the crossover on the Sub or AVR? The markings on your Sub should show 130 hz but when using your AVR, it can vary.

on the back of the x500 it has a icon for the min20 which is 120hz and an icon for the min10 which is 160hz, so what i most probably will do is set the knob on the back of the sub to 120 what would you recommend i set it to in the AVR?
post #90 of 1936 Old 09-15-2011, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

on the back of the x500 it has a icon for the min20 which is 120hz and an icon for the min10 which is 160hz, so what i most probably will do is set the knob on the back of the sub to 120 what would you recommend i set it to in the AVR?

So, apparently, all the Minx models crossover settings are different? The X200 is 140 hz for the Min 10 & 130 hz for the Min 20.

No, what AVR brand & model is it? Normally, one would set the crossover on the sub at Max or Bypass, and the AVR at whatever frequency you want to use. Question is, what are the options on the AVR?

OPPO BETA GROUP
Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , Subwoofers , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page