Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1927 Old 09-15-2011, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

So, apparently, all the Minx models crossover settings are different? The X200 is 140 hz for the Min 10 & 130 hz for the Min 20.

No, what AVR brand & model is it? Normally, one would set the crossover on the sub at Max or Bypass, and the AVR at whatever frequency you want to use. Question is, what are the options on the AVR?

I have a denon 1911 and i'm sure it has alot of crossover options, as i set my previous speakers to 80hz on the amp i think it goes up to 200hz not 100% though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1927 Old 09-15-2011, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by markiedee View Post

I have a denon 1911 and i'm sure it has alot of crossover options, as i set my previous speakers to 80hz on the amp i think it goes up to 200hz not 100% though.

I'm not positive but I seem to remember that when I had my Denon AVR, it had options that were even numbered. 120, 140, 160 hz. You have many options there. My Pioneer SC-07 only has 100 & 150 hz options. So, I would experiment with 120 & 140 hz and see what sounds best to your ears.

Don't you have Room Calibration on your model? I would let Audyssey perform the calibration for you.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #93 of 1927 Old 09-15-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I'm not positive but I seem to remember that when I had my Denon AVR, it had options that were even numbered. 120, 140, 160 hz. You have many options there. My Pioneer SC-07 only has 100 & 150 hz options. So, I would experiment with 120 & 140 hz and see what sounds best to your ears.

Don't you have Room Calibration on your model? I would let Audyssey perform the calibration for you.
Yeah my av receiver does have audyssey i used it on the speakers i recently sold and found that it made the sound even more immersive and spacious, i found that with the audyssey switched off the sound was a little more flat.

Do you think that it will detect the right frequency for the min20s? or do you think that i will have to set it manually after the calibration has been done?
post #94 of 1927 Old 09-15-2011, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Yeah my av receiver does have audyssey i used it on the speakers i recently sold and found that it made the sound even more immersive and spacious, i found that with the audyssey switched off the sound was a little more flat.

Do you think that it will detect the right frequency for the min20s? or do you think that i will have to set it manually after the calibration has been done?
Audyssey is usually pretty good, so I'd start there and see what happens.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #95 of 1927 Old 09-15-2011, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have found that Audyssey rarely sets the crossovers too high, but it can set them too low. If you find it sets them below the rated spec for your sats, just bump up the setting after the fact.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #96 of 1927 Old 09-17-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Last night, I hooked up my two Mirage Subs. I have a lot of tweaking to do but so far, I like the crossover setting in my AVR set at 200 hz. Also, I was thinking of adding the Min 20 to, at least, the front three channels but now, I think I'll just stay with the Min 10. This is the very first time I've had three Subs, let alone, two Subs in my system. Right now, I have my Sunfire Sub crossed over at 35 hz. The Sunfire is near the corner on the right hand side of me and the Mirage Subs are located on the front wall under each L&R Min 10.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #97 of 1927 Old 09-17-2011, 01:34 PM

Okay guys this is my opinion of the x500 with a few pictures added, first off i have to commend cambridge audio on making a seriously powerful subwoofer the x500 sits at the top of the minx range as there flagship and i truly believe it when they say it's 500watts.

I thought i would future proof myself and get the x500, but boy this thing is a monster... when i took it out of the box the first thing that hits you is the quality the weight and also the compact dimensions.

Once i hooked up the speakers and sub i ran the audyssey on the denon, i followed the instructions on the back of the sub by twisting the crossover frequency knob to 120hz which has a min20 icon, after the calibration was finished i checked the crossover settings for the speakers on the amp which was set to 200hz,

I then started to play a few tracks and my word the min20 speakers sounded beautiful, so clear and precise the sound of instruments and vocals were so rich, but the bass from the x500 is enormous and very, very deep!!! I mean this thing hits hard i was getting waves of clean punchy undistorted bass which was effortless in it's delivery.

The downside of this though was that it was and is definately to much for my little flat it got to the point of vibrating everything in my room and was bordering on major overkill it was good but also scary lol...

Today i had to take it back and exchange it for the x300 which i'm pleased to say was a good decision it loses a couple of hundred watts but it also sounds similar to it's bigger brother and kicks like a mule.

For anybody who craves deep powerful bass and has a large room i would definately recommend the x500, for me though i don't feel short changed with going back to the x300 as it sounds incredible for it's dinky size providing a very deep bass but to a more managable level for my flat and for my neighbors.

Heres some pictures of this beast, my camera skills aren't the best and for some reason i can't upload the picture i took showing the forward facing bass driver and passive radiator but enjoy.
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #98 of 1927 Old 09-17-2011, 02:20 PM

Hey perpendicular do you think that you can show some pics of your subs and also what do you think now your using three of them?
post #99 of 1927 Old 09-17-2011, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Today i had to take it back and exchange it for the x300 which i'm pleased to say was a good decision it loses a couple of hundred watts but it also sounds similar to it's bigger brother and kicks like a mule.

So the X300 was sufficient, eh? Wonder where I've heard that said before?

Sounds like (no pun intended) you have quite a nice system now. Congratulations - I'm glad it all worked out for you.

post #100 of 1927 Old 09-17-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

So the X300 was sufficient, eh? Wonder where I've heard that said before?

Sounds like (no pun intended) you have quite a nice system now. Congratulations - I'm glad it all worked out for you.

Lol, yeah i'm definately keeping this one i was playing around with the x300 today and it's just right i'm really, really happy. It's amazing also how the min20s sound it works so well with the subs.
post #101 of 1927 Old 09-17-2011, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I followed the instructions on the back of the sub by twisting the crossover frequency knob to 120hz which has a min20 icon, after the calibration was finished i checked the crossover settings for the speakers on the amp which was set to 200hz...

When running any type of room correction, you need to make sure the crossover on your Subwoofer (X300) is set to maximum, not 120 hz. Otherwise you will have a hole, roughly between 120 & 200 hz.

Quote:

Hey perpendicular do you think that you can show some pics of your subs and also what do you think now your using three of them?

Yes, I will Post some photos either today or tomorrow. My Min 10's are mounted to my Plasma television now but I plan to stand mount them after I purchase an entertainment center in November. Then, a few months later, I will get a new television set.

I'm running MCACC now and will have to run it again, in about a months time. I suggest you do the same after giving your speakers some time to break in.

These are truly amazing loudspeakers for their size. I, too, are amazed, even more now, that I added two more capable Subs. I love having the crossover set at 200 hz and having no crossover in the 300 hz to 3 kHz region for the satellites.

It helps having two or more Subwoofers to even out room Modes. So, yes, it sound a lot better.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #102 of 1927 Old 09-17-2011, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I decided to take some photos now so you would have to wait.

I noticed my left channel driver has started to distort again while running some test signals along with MCACC room correction. I snapped a photo of the back & front of the replacement driver. Once I go to replace it, I will take some more photos of the inside of the Min 10.
LL
LL

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #103 of 1927 Old 09-17-2011, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is my living room photos.
LL
LL

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #104 of 1927 Old 09-17-2011, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here is my living room photos.

The PR's on those MM8's appear to be pretty well blocked. Is that affecting their output at all?

post #105 of 1927 Old 09-17-2011, 05:10 PM

So perpendicular do you suggest i ingnore the settings on the back of the sub indicating where to set the frequency of the speakers? and just wack it straight to 200hz... i have to admit that it sounds good where it's set on the sub at the moment but opinions are helpful.
post #106 of 1927 Old 09-17-2011, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So perpendicular do you suggest i ingnore the settings on the back of the sub indicating where to set the frequency of the speakers? and just wack it straight to 200hz... i have to admit that it sounds good where it's set on the sub at the moment but opinions are helpful.

Yes, most definitely.
You should notice a big difference after the change.
Be sure to re-run Audyssey.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #107 of 1927 Old 09-17-2011, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The PR's on those MM8's appear to be pretty well blocked. Is that affecting their output at all?

There's about 3 inches on one side and 4 on the other which should give them plenty of room. The dog's toys will be moved shortly. Though, he's a Pit Bull and may not like it.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #108 of 1927 Old 09-17-2011, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just replaced the driver.
Here are the photos.
LL
LL
LL

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #109 of 1927 Old 09-17-2011, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There's about 3 inches on one side and 4 on the other which should give them plenty of room. The dog's toys will be moved shortly. Though, he's a Pit Bull and may not like it.

I guess if you upset him too much we'll have to start calling you Horizontal instead!

post #110 of 1927 Old 09-18-2011, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Last night, I was listening to my system and a vision appeared to me. I could see a Min 20 each on the left & right channel, a Min 10 & 20 for the center, Min 10's for side surrounds, Min 10's for height channels, four Mirage MM-8 Subs and My Sunfire True Subwoofer.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #111 of 1927 Old 09-18-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

So how much Stella was involved before this "vision" appeared?

post #112 of 1927 Old 09-18-2011, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So how much Stella was involved before this "vision" appeared?

Actually, it was Merlot.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #113 of 1927 Old 09-19-2011, 01:21 PM

Well after trying want perpendicular said with the crossovers and re-running audyssey i have to say that the results are amazing, the speakers and sub just sound sublime they mesh very well.

Bass is nice and deep and the speakers are just so clear... i have owned many different speaker brands over the years from bose, kef, mordaunt-short and monitor audio but these for the size just leave me gobsmacked at the clarity.

I'm over the moon with my purchase and don't regret going back to the x300. i think it's better suited for my room. it still hits hard and sounds so rich without that bloated effect that some subs can suffer from and this is still in the early stages i can only imagine what there gonna sound like when they are fully run in.

heres a few more pics of the x300 although it looks dinky don't let the size fool you it may be small but it's a mini bass monster.
LL
LL
LL
post #114 of 1927 Old 09-19-2011, 05:51 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I feel it is. What are your options? Are you using the crossover on the Sub or AVR? The markings on your Sub should show 130 hz but when using your AVR, it can vary.

Is that better to let the AVR handle the crossover thing?

If so, Sub's crossover need to turn to max. before AVR calibration?

Also what setting of the phase? Is that set to 0 is OK?

Sorry for too many newbie questions... and THANKS again for Perpendicular and others who make this post wonderful!!!!

P.S. I have bought Minx S325 last Sunday and busy setting the speakers last night. First impression is the sound is much open than my old B&W Bookshelf spearker but the sound is quite "HARD"... I think they need time to "run in".
Also my AVR is Yamaha V2500 (Don't have DTS-HD MA/Dolby TrueHD).
post #115 of 1927 Old 09-19-2011, 07:17 PM

Liked: 10
Hi Perpendicular,

Are you using Pioneer AMP? Is that good match with Minx Speakers?

THANKS!
post #116 of 1927 Old 09-20-2011, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzine View Post

Is that better to let the AVR handle the crossover thing?

If so, Sub's crossover need to turn to max. before AVR calibration?

Also what setting of the phase? Is that set to 0 is OK?

Sorry for too many newbie questions... and THANKS again for Perpendicular and others who make this post wonderful!!!!

P.S. I have bought Minx S325 last Sunday and busy setting the speakers last night. First impression is the sound is much open than my old B&W Bookshelf spearker but the sound is quite "HARD"... I think they need time to "run in".
Also my AVR is Yamaha V2500 (Don't have DTS-HD MA/Dolby TrueHD).

Yes, the Subs crossover should be set to maximum and the phase to "0".

You are right, they will sound better after 20, then 30, and so on, hours of play time. The Subs will take more than 50 with their metal drivers.

Quote:

Hi Perpendicular,

THANKS!

Yes, I'm using a SC-07 ICEamp model.
Heck, it sounds good with just about anything.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #117 of 1927 Old 09-20-2011, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well after trying want perpendicular said with the crossovers and re-running audyssey i have to say that the results are amazing, the speakers and sub just sound sublime they mesh very well.

BTW, what did Audyssey finally choose to set your crossover at for the Min 20's?

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #118 of 1927 Old 09-20-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:

BTW, what did Audyssey finally choose to set your crossover at for the Min 20's?

I set the subs crossover frequency at 200hz, phase to "0" before running audyssey. After audyssey did it's thing the speakers crossover was set at 200hz.
post #119 of 1927 Old 09-20-2011, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I set the subs crossover frequency at 200hz, phase to "0" before running audyssey. After audyssey did it's thing the speakers crossover was set at 200hz.

That's good to know. To me, it seems like the little Min 10's that I have can breathe better, play louder and have a bit more separation. I'm sure it's because the small 2 1/4" driver is being alleviated by five more octaves. My concern with the X300 would be how well it covers the range from around 120-200 hz. In the Home Theater review, the X200's upper -3 db point is at 116 hz. Though, this can vary from room to room. I bet that the X300 is not too far from those specs but would love to see some real world measurements. One of the reasons why I opted for another brand of Subwoofer (besides being able to get two for the price of one X300), is that I was concerned that those measurements on the X200 would equate to all Minx Subs (within reason), and would leave a bit of a hole between 150-200 hz but if it sounds good to you, maybe it's fine. For me, having two subs and placing them directly below each L&R speaker helps make them seem like full rangers instead of the system sounding like a Sub/Sat Combo.

Quote:

Hi Perpendicular,

THANKS!

Are you thinking about a new AVR?

What are your satellites crossed over at?

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #120 of 1927 Old 09-20-2011, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's a closer look at one of my Subs.
Is having two passive radiators (Mirage) better than one (CA X300)?
LL

OPPO BETA GROUP
Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , Subwoofers , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page