Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 1931 Old 04-16-2013, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeDeV View Post

just ordered my Minx 11. I will have them tomorrow. Oh man i really hope they are great. And that they will meet my expectations for my 7.2 system as surround backs.

By the way guys, can anyone help me with the distances? how many meters is the optimal distance to place them behind me? Right now, the optimal place for my space, seems like to be 2 meters behind me (almost same distance between me and my Surround Rears). Also, what is the optimal distance between those two? i haven't figured that yet. I think it will be around 1-1,5m distance between them.

I have seen some pictures from THX, where they say that the speakers should be right next to each other behind me, but i find that thing absolutely stupid. I guess it was for the old 6.1 days and not the 7.1

When I was working on speaker placement, I found lots of info on angles, less info on heights, but very little on distances. I would think that room size, the position of the listener, and distances to the other speakers would all be factors. I'm not sure someone can give you an absolute distance like 2m without knowing more about your setup.

I also saw the info from THX where the rear speakers are placed together. It is not a holdover from 6.1 days; it is for THX Advanced Speaker Array. There is an explanation here:
http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/home-theater-speaker-placement.html

This picture from the same article seems to imply (without stating it) that all speakers except LH and RH should be equidistant from the listener:

This article shows a 60 degree spread between rears in one configuration. Using this as a guide, distance between them will depend on distance behind you.

I'm curious about your room. 7.1 requires a pretty sizable room, but you say the ceiling is < 2m tall. Is this a basement room with a drop ceiling? I haven't seem many rooms large enough to warrant 7.1 but having a ceiling so low that I would duck in fear of scraping my pate.

When you talk about meeting your expectations and not throwing your money away, are you talking about the Minx or about the value of 7.1 in general?
When choosing my configuration comments like this gave me pause:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNET article by Steve Guttenberg View Post

In any case the differences between 5.1 and 7.1 are usually pretty subtle, it's not like adding those two extra speakers makes a huge difference in perceived sound quality. It's not worth agonizing over.

And the first link that I cited included this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Practical Home Theater Guide View Post

Research shows that the presence of the two Wide fronts leads to a more enveloping sound than the addition of the two Back Surround speakers used in a standard 7.1-channel speaker setup.

Maybe you can configure your AVR for Wides instead of Backs. I've seen AVRs that let you choose between Backs and Highs, but not between Backs and Wides.

I just hope that you don't automatically blame the Minx if 7.1 disappoints biggrin.gif .

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1931 Old 04-16-2013, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
John i appreciate your answer. Let me answer smile.gif

1) LH - RH are at the same distance that your front Left - Right are, just a bit higher... this is what the diagram tries to show.

2) It is very hard if you don't have the tools, to find the right angle smile.gif

3) My room is 4M x 8M x 2M. My couch is at the middle of the room almost. (3M from the Front speakers). It is a basement yes. I am 1.75m tall, so 2M as a room is fine by me :-). Also my setup will not be 7.1, but 7.2. (I have an SVS PB-1000 and a Logitech z-5500 which helps it fill the room).

4) I hope - i am sure, that the 7.2 system will give me a more complete sound image than my 5.2. In the bottom line.... i have absolutely nothing to lose if i upgrade from a 5.2 to a 7.2 right?

5) Yes i am talking about the minx, i really hope that these small speakers are as good as i hope they are

6) My Onkyo 609 does not have Front Wide, so this is out of the image. It does support Front Height, but 90% of the people agree that this is just an 'effect' that we usually don't notice, since our ears can understand better the wide sounds than the vertical sounds.

What do i expect to see from my 7.2? A true surround sound. Have you seen Transformers 1 for example? when it starts there are some stars coming from the front left speaker and then it moves all the way around you like in a circle. Right now, i KINDA feel that the stars pass behind me, but not satisfied from what i hear. By adding the rear speakers, i want to hear those stars TRULY pass behind me. This is what i expect to see from this configuration. i want to be able to hear cars coming behind me and so on.

Yes i know that a few movies are 7.1, but still i have quite a few.
post #1263 of 1931 Old 04-17-2013, 11:34 AM

well i got the speakers. i will install them on Friday probably.

few observations ...

1) I would like the grille (not grill), to be white...
2) The speaker is as beautiful as i was expecting it to be
3) It is heavy, and this shows quality build to me...
4) The wall mounts, scare me a bit.... they turn ONLY 45 degrees. Since i will have them on my ceiling, i wanted more... i hope it will be ok

Right now i have them on my Logitech Z-5500 system. I will run them in, until Friday. My Logitech can support them.

I never noticed the speakers' db! It is 83 (i think), which is pretty low, if we compare them with the rest of my setup. This means that they will be driven hotter. We will see....
Right now, i am testing them. I like their sound, and there are times that i think i hear surround sound, even though it is on Stereo.

According to some people here... the sound will get better and better. (30 Hours they need to run in, from what i read)
post #1264 of 1931 Old 04-17-2013, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeDeV View Post

well i got the speakers. i will install them on Friday probably.

few observations ...

1) I would like the grille (not grill), to be white...
2) The speaker is as beautiful as i was expecting it to be
3) It is heavy, and this shows quality build to me...
4) The wall mounts, scare me a bit.... they turn ONLY 45 degrees. Since i will have them on my ceiling, i wanted more... i hope it will be ok

Right now i have them on my Logitech Z-5500 system. I will run them in, until Friday. My Logitech can support them.

I never noticed the speakers' db! It is 83 (i think), which is pretty low, if we compare them with the rest of my setup. This means that they will be driven hotter. We will see....
Right now, i am testing them. I like their sound, and there are times that i think i hear surround sound, even though it is on Stereo.

According to some people here... the sound will get better and better. (30 Hours they need to run in, from what i read)

Glad to hear that you got them. I understand your concern about the mounts but I think it may be a non issue as these (BMR type speakers) are a lot more forgiving and not as directional a standard/typical speakers. Let us know your observations.
post #1265 of 1931 Old 04-18-2013, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Well, after a year of indecision on the improved models, I finally broke down and ordered a pair of Min 21. If they are as good as reviewers have been claiming over their predecessors, I will be replacing all my Min 10 and 20 models with the Min 21 satellites.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1266 of 1931 Old 04-18-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

Well, after a year of indecision on the improved models, I finally broke down and ordered a pair of Min 21. If they are as good as reviewers have been claiming over their predecessors, I will be replacing all my Min 10 and 20 models with the Min 21 satellites.

Hi,

Ha!!! I knew you would - I was just waiting for the day!! Surprised it took you this long but very happy for you! Fact of the matter is, you are one of the very few people anywhere that can give a open & detailed review from a knowledgable users perspective and you can offer far more input than just reading a review here or there!

Look forward to hearing your "detailed" views on them & how they compare to the Min10/20's!

Congrats!
Bazzy!
post #1267 of 1931 Old 04-18-2013, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:

Well, what do you know. CA should toss in a pair of Min 11's for free, if for no other reason then your sheer loyalty. smile.gif

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #1268 of 1931 Old 04-18-2013, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

CA should toss in a pair of Min 11's for free, if for no other reason then your sheer loyalty.

Perhaps, when pigs fly.

Bazzy,

No, I'm not interested in the smaller Min 11. I'll stick with the larger model. My luck, they'll release even newer versions soon. rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1269 of 1931 Old 04-19-2013, 01:34 AM

Perpendicular, if they release a newer version, right now that i got my min 11, i will find you and kill you biggrin.gif

Today is my last run-in day on my Logitech z-5500 system. The speakers are great. I am looking at the speaker, and i can't understand where the sound is coming from. It is not directional. It just opens up in the room. I am very surprised. I think i hear them getting better and better as they play.

My father was having a hearing too. He could not understand where the sound was coming from, or that i only had Stereo playing. Since my system is 5.1, he believed that all speakers were playing. So was i. This is how 'surround' these speakers sound. As for the low frequencies.... i don't know if they have any, because it didn't bother me. Strangely they matched great with my z-5500 sub, and the result is great.

I have a list of movies with 7.1 sound to test this weekend..

1) Transformers 1-2-3 True-HD 7.1
2) Avengers DTS-HD 7.1
3) Hobbit DTS-HD 7.1
post #1270 of 1931 Old 04-19-2013, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post

Hi,

Ha!!! I knew you would - I was just waiting for the day!! Surprised it took you this long but very happy for you! Fact of the matter is, you are one of the very few people anywhere that can give a open & detailed review from a knowledgable users perspective and you can offer far more input than just reading a review here or there!

Look forward to hearing your "detailed" views on them & how they compare to the Min10/20's!

Congrats!
Bazzy!

Quote:

Well, what do you know. CA should toss in a pair of Min 11's for free, if for no other reason then your sheer loyalty. smile.gif

+++1, +++2

Hey Jeff you never know....I have seen the Geico (???) commercial where a pig is flying.
wink.gif
post #1271 of 1931 Old 04-19-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNThorens View Post

Hey Jeff you never know....I have seen the Geico (???) commercial where a pig is flying.
wink.gif

Then, how about this one. When AVS Forum stops adding all this advertising. Gee wiz! It's starting to become the AVS Commercial Forum. rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1272 of 1931 Old 04-19-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I received my pair of Min 21. I ordered them in black and received one in white. eek.gif The label and the box description stated white but the bar code label on the top of the box stated gloss black. Needless to say, I placed an order for another black one and it should be here tomorrow. cool.gif

This is my first experience looking at the Minx satellite in white. It is much better than the photos. If all my speakers were not already black, I would have ordered another white one. It looks gorgeous with it's silver grille. btw, the grille is redesigned for the newer models to allow further driver excursion.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1273 of 1931 Old 04-19-2013, 02:13 PM

i am glad to hear that the grilles are different than the 10s!

tomorrow is installation day. it will take a few hours for sure... all these cable channels, drill holes on the ceiling, get speaker cables running through, and hide them all. From what i see, i could really use something like 60 degree angle instead of 45 degree, but i really hope the speakers will not have any problems at all. Since it looks like they don't need to be directional to the 'sweet' spot. They will be looking a little more downwards.

crossing fingers! smile.gif
post #1274 of 1931 Old 04-19-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:

I received my pair of Min 21. I ordered them in black and received one in white. eek.gif The label and the box description stated white but the bar code label on the top of the box stated gloss black. Needless to say, I placed an order for another black one and it should be here tomorrow. cool.gif

This is my first experience looking at the Minx satellite in white. It is much better than the photos. If all my speakers were not already black, I would have ordered another white one. It looks gorgeous with it's silver grille. btw, the grille is redesigned for the newer models to allow further driver excursion.

Glad to hear that you got them already!!! I am waiting patiently for your observation as comparded to the 20's. Thanks in advanced J.
post #1275 of 1931 Old 04-19-2013, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I hooked the black one up and repacked the white one. It's too bad because I really like the white one with the silver grille better. Who would have thought?? biggrin.gif

I just listened to the speaker briefly (a couple of minutes of NEWS broadcasting) and noticed a big change with the Min 21. It definitely sounds lower in frequency than the Min 20. More to come later.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1276 of 1931 Old 04-19-2013, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

TeDeV,

Very wide dispersion. So, it shouldn't be a problem.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1277 of 1931 Old 04-20-2013, 04:47 AM

Liked: 56
Cambridge Audio Minx S325v2 speaker system review

http://www.hometheater.com/content/cambridge-audio-minx-s325v2-speaker-system
post #1278 of 1931 Old 04-20-2013, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^ Great! I Posted a link on the 1st page too. wink.gif

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1279 of 1931 Old 04-20-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badouri View Post

Cambridge Audio Minx S325v2 speaker system review

http://www.hometheater.com/content/cambridge-audio-minx-s325v2-speaker-system

Much improved it seems, but still doesn't have the upper bass I need: "The –3dB point is at 168 Hz, and the –6dB point is at 143 Hz." It's a good thing you like a 200Hz crossover point Jeffrey. tongue.gif

post #1280 of 1931 Old 04-20-2013, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Some standout highlights from the Home Theater review:
Quote:
Bending, and not always acting like a piston, is what makes BMRs different from conventional cone and dome drivers. Conventional drivers attempt to move like pistons, with the entire diaphragm moving back and forth in unison. A BMR driver creates controlled ripples in the diaphragm like a bunch of stones tossed into a pond, bending the diaphragm to generate high frequencies. Effectively, the higher frequencies are being produced with the diaphragm in a controlled version of what engineers often call “break-up mode.” Once out of the driver’s piston band, different frequencies cause areas of the diaphragm to move in different directions relative to one another, resulting in phase behavior that yields a sonic character that many would describe as spacious or larger than life. On the plus side, sound is disbursed so evenly horizontally and vertically that the distinction between on and off-axis response all but disappears. This phenomenon applies here to frequencies above about 800 Hz; below that point, the driver has a more conventional pistonic movement. Shift around the sofa all you want: The sound will move with you. To anyone weaned on ordinary speakers, this can seem like a miracle.
Quote:
I’d been warned that the Minxes needed break-in time. What I had not expected was how dramatically they would morph from a stingy bass-light sound to a full, rich tonal balance. As uncrated, the speakers could barely muster a soundfield or a stereo image. Within just a few hours, they commanded the room with a swagger, transcending both their size and positioning to produce a huge and seamless soundfield with a vertically and horizontally spacious front soundstage that didn’t seem to come from the little cubes at all. Imaging was generous, with effortless integration between the fully fleshed- out midrange and fine airy treble. The crossover from satellite to subwoofer also improved steadily as I dialed it in and the sub and sat drivers began to loosen up. While never rock-the-house pow- erful, the sub had enough bass extension and pitch to do justice to music, and I became less and less aware of the crossover until it ceased to be an issue. Normally, I don’t make a big deal of break-in, but the reader who buys these speakers needs to know that the first few hours will not be even remotely indicative of long-term performance. Be patient.
Quote:
Glenn Gould’s best-selling 1955 performance of Bach’s Goldberg Variations came as a 24/96 FLAC download from HDtracks. What sounded bland in the first- generation CD release and slightly richer in the later CD remastering (A State of Wonder) acquired a more distinctive beauty in this high-resolution download. Minx pulled together several subtle elements, including the piano’s austere harmonic body and the gentle percussive attack of each note. The system’s wide and comprehensive soundstage made every seat on the sofa a good one, enabling me to relax into the music without keeping my body rigidly fixed in the sweet spot. There was hardly an unsweet spot anywhere in front of the speakers. I have never heard a speaker that so effectively ameliorates stereo’s notorious Achilles’ heel, the hole in the middle for listeners not directly between the two speak- ers. It sounded almost as though the center speaker were operating, though when I checked, it was silent.
Quote:
The Minx’s output was so un-speaker-bound that the 2.1-channel playback often took on a surround-like character, spilling out of the two satellites and filling the entire room.
Quote:
I go out of my way to review compact satellite/subwoofer sets and have acquired a large frame of reference for the category. Cambridge Audio’s S325v2 speaker package is one of the best I’ve heard. Let me be more specific: As far as the Min 21 satellite is concerned, I’ve never heard a better one, and I can count its equals on the fingers of one hand with a few fingers left over. As often happens in even the best sat/sub sets, the X300 subwoofer lags behind, but in this case, not far. Its ability to tunefully mesh with the satellites was never in doubt. For this system, the sub does well—and the sats are just extraordinary. As long as you don’t need to rattle the crockery, the Minx offers a completely satisfying listening experience, both musically and cinematically. If I were buying a compact sat/sub set today, this would be the one.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1281 of 1931 Old 04-20-2013, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's a good thing you like a 200Hz crossover point Jeffrey. tongue.gif

Not any more, it's room dependent. v2 of the satellites will allow for a lower crossover point. I have a right mind to go out and get a Sound Pressure meter because the one satellite speaker that I listened to even before break-in goes lower and sounds fuller than what HT measurement indicate. Like I said, room dependent. These newer versions are the real deal. I will Post more once I get the other speaker and do a proper test listening.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1282 of 1931 Old 04-20-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:

Not any more, it's room dependent. v2 of the satellites will allow for a lower crossover point. I have a right mind to go out and get a Sound Pressure meter because the one satellite speaker that I listened to even before break-in goes lower and sounds fuller than what HT measurement indicate. Like I said, room dependent. These newer versions are the real deal. I will Post more once I get the other speaker and do a proper test listening.

Sounds like you're reviewing a first date! LOL

Now my curiosity is really tweeked, and I can go either way on the color. I initially thought black to match the Panny GT50 but your impression and the HT review about them disappearing into the background has me wondering if I would be better off with the white....especially in the back (surrounds). It would be nice if I could get the black for the front and 2 white for the back but my pricing on the complete set-up is to good to screw with.

We'll/I'll be waiting on your observations Jeffrey!
post #1283 of 1931 Old 04-20-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, you'll be waiting a while. It's 85 degrees today and just as hot inside. I'll have to wait until things cool down a bit before powering up the system.

If I had to do it all over again and was placing these speakers on-wall, I would definitely go with the white. I think they look better than the black and I'm not big on white a/v equipment. That's how striking they look! Sure glad they goofed on shipping the wrong color. If not for seeing them first hand. cool.gif

Oh, and it's not only the white, it's the combination of the 3 colors. Whereas with black, you only get a smidgen of white (the seals).

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1284 of 1931 Old 04-20-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

"The –3dB point is at 168 Hz, and the –6dB point is at 143 Hz."

Hi Jim,

Can you explain what this means as in the specs the Min21 crossover frequency is stated as 120hz. In reality, is it 168hz then? Why such a huge difference?

Bazzy!
post #1285 of 1931 Old 04-20-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post

Can you explain what this means as in the specs the Min21 crossover frequency is stated as 120hz. In reality, is it 168hz then? Why such a huge difference?

There are several potential reasons the measurements from the manufacturer and a reviewer would differ. They run from disparate equipment, to different techniques to outright fabrications.

In the case of Home Theaters review there were some liberties taking with the numbers they posted; as soon as you see the word "corrected" in the measurement description you know there was some math used to simulate a different environment. That's always a factor when there are variations. The article also says they measured at 1 meter, while most manufacturers use close mic (essentially with the microphone as close as you can get without touching). CA's website doesn't list how many dB down their measurements are either, so it could be as much as 10. They openly state the Min 21 should be crossed over at 140Hz though, so that's a tacit acknowledgement their own 120Hz specification isn't realistic.

CA isn't completely forthcoming, and Home Theater has "adjusted" things, so between those two factors you're going to have some significant variations.

post #1286 of 1931 Old 04-21-2013, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^ Hmmm, I wonder if the speakers were measured before the review or after.

And now for something completely different. Actual in-house speaker listening results...by me. biggrin.gif

I hooked the Min 21 pair up today as L&R, moved the previous Min 20 pair to center channel duties and kept the Min 10 as my side surrounds. Then, I ran Pioneer's MCACC room correction in the full auto mode. I wanted to give the Min 21 time to open up a bit so I watched a hockey game (Vancouver & Detroit) that went all the way to a shoot-out. After almost 3 hours, I spent a couple of hours listening to various types of music to get a feel for the difference between the Min 10/20 sound character compared to the updated Min 21. Most of the time, I jotted down some notes of what I was hearing with the newer model. A couple of sound qualities popped up right away. The first is that the speaker is clearer than the previous models, and on some recordings, I get the eerily feeling that I can reach out and touch the performers. It's uncanny how with the previous, I felt, at times, while listening in stereo, the center channel was playing along with the surround speakers. With the Min 21, it's even more so. The other thing I noticed is it departs a smoother more relaxed presentation. As the music went on for the next couple of hours, the other notes I jogged down were that there is more layering and resolution, the mid-bass is fuller, instruments and background vocals are more separated and easier to hear, more musical, less fatiguing and more dynamic (slam). One of the biggest complaints I had for the previous models is that there is so much depth, it makes the drums on most popular/rock recordings sound like they are so far back into the soundstage to be outside the building, while other instruments were up front and on stage. It's like, "Hey, can you bring that drum kit a little closer?!" With the Min 21, this has been eliminated.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1287 of 1931 Old 04-21-2013, 02:48 AM

well... it took me 8 hours to install them properly..... 7 hours to install the speaker cables - cable channels, and 1 hour to place and config the speakers.

Until now i am pleased. I finally got my surround feeling. Right now, i know that i am in the middle of the movie, not at the back. What i earned going from 5.2 to 7.2 is, how full the surround sound is right now. you don't notice the surround backs. you just feel that everything is more reach, more detailed now. and finally!! i listened to the one thing i always wanted to listen.

Transformers 3, when it starts and the stars are coming down to surround you, now... i heard them all! they passed behind me for real. nice feeling smile.gif
post #1288 of 1931 Old 04-21-2013, 06:45 AM

2 good reviews, seems as though you are both very happy with your decisions to go with the 21's.
post #1289 of 1931 Old 04-21-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Last night, I was so tired that when I went to hit the "Preview" button, I pressed "Submit". rolleyes.gif Anywhoooo, I wasn't done finishing with what I had to say. biggrin.gif

The Min 21 satellite speakers are set up on stands approximately 13 inches from the front wall toed into my listening position. I'm sure that the sound quality that I am hearing will only improve over the next several hours of playing. Luckily, I already have time put on my subs, considering that I've been using them for a couple of years now. These speakers will play lower than my previous Min 20. I can get some output below 50 Hz on test tracks when speakers are set to "Large" (subs turned off) within bass management. Later today, I'm going to try lowering the crossover to 80 and 100 Hz, just to see what I get. Albeit, at a lower listening level. Also, I'll try listening at a lower level with speakers set to "Large" and no subs. This should be fun!

Am I happy with my choice in the purchase of the Min 21? Yes! I should have purchased them a long time ago instead of waiting (live and learn) because I cannot believe what I've been missing all this time when I could have had better sound all around with this excellent performing speaker. Frankly, I do not know how Cambridge Audio will be able to top this model with this size driver in a version 3. Then again, I was skeptical from the beginning with version 2 and thought there couldn't be much of an improvement over the previous models. Well, I cannot say much regarding the Min 11 because I haven't heard it. My theory is that it sounds very good in the all important key areas. Adding the second driver (woofer) in the Min 21 allows it to have more midbass extension. My question then would be, why bother with the smaller Min 11 if the Min 21 sounds this good? My decision is that I'll eventually replace my other previous models with all Min 21 but if I go with more speakers than my already 5.2 system, I just may add a pair of Min 11 as back surround, height or wide speakers when the opportunity arises. And by the time I think about that, there may be a version 3 in my future. I probably won't miss getting them because the Min 21 sounds that good. Not that I couldn't use a version 3. biggrin.gif I was never totally happy with the previous models for various reasons and was always searching for something better. I have a lot more listening to do but for now, I am quite satisfied with my Min 21 purchase. This speaker does so many things very well that I just cannot find with any other sub/sat system I've listened to.

So far, I like having two Min 20 as center channel duty. I forgot how much I missed this configuration when I ran two before. I'm not sure if I would gain anything by replacing them with a Min 21. But how about two? biggrin.gif It just seems to sound better with a bigger speaker as the center. Especially, when watching movies. In my case, 4 BMR drivers instead of two. I ended up with a Min 20 sitting in a box in storage and contemplating selling it because what do I use one speaker? [rhetorical] Or, maybe I'll just sell off all my Min 10 and Min 20 models, get the newer models and be done with it.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1290 of 1931 Old 04-21-2013, 11:41 AM

trust me... Min 11 for surround backs are just enough - fine, and they are doing their job smile.gif

My avr has set them to 150Hz. When i run the calibration, i could hear the usual noise from my B&W speakers, and when i got to the Minx, it was like a little toy speaker playing smile.gif
But that is way off the truth. If i haven't used them as front speakers to my z5500 system, i am not sure how i would rate them, but they really are great.

I don't know if i should get them run lower than 150Hz. My AVR doesn't have a 140Hz option.

By the way... i love the way they blend with my space.

Here is a little pic smile.gif

Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , Subwoofers , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page