Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1441 of 1941 Old 05-30-2013, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
cl206, how are you finding the sub where it is(i presume from the pics it is at the rear of the listening area). I always thought it was better to have the sub in a Minx set-up at the front near to to the centre because of the high crossover causing directionality to the low frequencies? I know its difficult for you because of family reasons(i have two boys but my sub is behind a tv stand where they cant reach it!!). Im not saying what you have done is wrong, just wondering what the performance is like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1941 Old 05-30-2013, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

You're Sub will take twice as long as the satellites to fully break-in.

And no, do not try and adjust the volume on your sub that Audyssey already set. The sound will get better if you're patient.

Okay! Yes I will be patient because this system isn't going anywhere lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyw78 View Post

cl206, how are you finding the sub where it is(i presume from the pics it is at the rear of the listening area). I always thought it was better to have the sub in a Minx set-up at the front near to to the centre because of the high crossover causing directionality to the low frequencies? I know its difficult for you because of family reasons(i have two boys but my sub is behind a tv stand where they cant reach it!!). Im not saying what you have done is wrong, just wondering what the performance is like.

yeah I was thinking the same thing too but it doesn't sound bad at all in the early stages when I played that one t rex scene from Jurassic Park. Everything seemed to work together and I cannot tell the sub was sitting there. The sub doesn't sound boomy and remember, I've only had the system playing for only like 3 hours total so far. But right now, it sounds fine. Maybe Audyssey helped. I will keep posting updates...
post #1443 of 1941 Old 05-30-2013, 05:21 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:

I want everyone to know that I've been dealing with a large family issue but I was able to Post a question to Mark Fleischmann (Home Theater Mag) on the Minx S325v2 review regarding crossover settings, etc, and it was removed by the 3rd day.

Hey Jeffrey, I hope all is well with the family. What did you mean by "removed on the third day"? Did the people at HT just completely remove your question/post?
I'm also very curious to find out about your findings moving the min21s to the larger room. What size is the larger room? Thanks.
post #1444 of 1941 Old 05-30-2013, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNThorens View Post

Hey Jeffrey, I hope all is well with the family. What did you mean by "removed on the third day"? Did the people at HT just completely remove your question/post?
I'm also very curious to find out about your findings moving the min21s to the larger room. What size is the larger room? Thanks.

Yes, the Post had completely disappeared. It was there later in the day of the first Posting, the next day and on the third day was gone. Poof!!!

I don't remember the exact measurements of the larger room. I know I stated it somewhere towards the beginning of this Thread. I'll see if I can locate the Quote when I get the time.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1445 of 1941 Old 05-30-2013, 11:45 AM

Hi Guys stupid question because I just read that once you do the audyssey calibration, you need to "select" the curve?!?! or activate it? So my question is, how can I check that I am using the settings from audyssey? It would be funny as heck if I thought it is applied and it wasn't lol
thanks
PS I definitely did the calibration to finish.

EDIT! Nevermind. I think I figured it out. There is a setting I go to but once you run it it is automatically on I believe.
post #1446 of 1941 Old 05-30-2013, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I measured my living room this evening and it's 14' 6" x 15'. I have only the pair of Min 21 set up because I refuse to use either of my previous Minx satellites with them. I'll order 3 more Min 21, once I get around to it. The big deal is having to install the side rear speakers again cause I removed all the hardware from my last install. eek.gif

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1447 of 1941 Old 05-31-2013, 04:17 AM

Just finished watching Jack Reacher last night and wanted to share what I learned about the settings on my marantz. When I saw Gangster Squad, evidently my Sony Blu Ray was decoding the 5.1 and thus sending what they call PCM signals to my receiver so my marantz had the sound set to mutli ch in. This still appeared to be surround. Well last night when I was watching Jack Reacher on blu ray, I decided to do a google because I kept wondering why the DTS HD Master audio isn't showing up according to my receiver. Well I had to change some settings on my blu ray to allow bitstream or something like that and I am now officially letting the marantz decode properly. With DTS HD master audio, the movie sounded great! I had my volume at about 50 (0-98) because it was late but everything sounded good. In the rain scene near the end my wife even remarked how realistic it sounded just like we were in the middle of the rain as Tom Cruise was kicking A$$smile.gif

It's the first time I had true surround some in my HT setup and it is amazing!
post #1448 of 1941 Old 05-31-2013, 02:07 PM

Hi just upgraded my 3.1 minx 21 and x300 sub to 5.1 run YPAO on Yamaha RXV673 sounds great cant wait for the back 2 to break in and see the difference
post #1449 of 1941 Old 05-31-2013, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I purchased another Min 21 to use as the center channel. I did try a Min 20 and just as I thought, experienced poor results.

Also, contacted the North American distributor regarding a grille for the Min 21 and he told me to use the one from the Min 20 because it is one in the same. I guess, he didn't get the memo? eek.gif

I'm seriously thinking about selling my remaining two Min 10 and three Min 20 for a total of $325.00 shipped.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1450 of 1941 Old 05-31-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:

I measured my living room this evening and it's 14' 6" x 15'. I have only the pair of Min 21 set up because I refuse to use either of my previous Minx satellites with them. I'll order 3 more Min 21, once I get around to it. The big deal is having to install the side rear speakers again cause I removed all the hardware from my last install. eek.gif

Thanks for the measurements JEFFREY. Let me know what you think of the sound in the larger room. Thanks again.
post #1451 of 1941 Old 05-31-2013, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So far? Delicious. biggrin.gif

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1452 of 1941 Old 05-31-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My living room space is pretty irregular. I have an open dining area and a kitchen off of that, around the corner from the living area.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1453 of 1941 Old 06-01-2013, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Besides the flash on the tv screen, can anyone guess what is wrong with this picture.....er...photo?

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1454 of 1941 Old 06-01-2013, 09:14 PM

The real question Jeffrey is "what do you think is wrong" with the photo? Lol
post #1455 of 1941 Old 06-01-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:

Besides the flash on the tv screen, can anyone guess what is wrong with this picture.....er...photo?

Why is the center channel white while the other Front 2 black?
post #1456 of 1941 Old 06-01-2013, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Your house is on a hill?
post #1457 of 1941 Old 06-02-2013, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post

Your house is on a hill?
lol
post #1458 of 1941 Old 06-02-2013, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post

Your house is on a hill?
It was, after a couple of beers. wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl206 View Post

Why is the center channel white while the other Front 2 black?

That's it! This is the second time I ordered a Min 21 in Black and received one in White. This is okay. I decided to order another one in White and use them for the surround speakers.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1459 of 1941 Old 06-02-2013, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
What stands are you using for the LR mains? Very simple and clean.
post #1460 of 1941 Old 06-03-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My old Gallo "Flower" floor stands. Though, I'm still considering mounting them on the front wall.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1461 of 1941 Old 06-03-2013, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've had two different guys from Audio Plus Services (N.A. Distributor) try and tell me that the Min 20 & 21 Grille are one in the same. This is even after I attached a photo on the email showing the difference. rolleyes.gif

I'm afraid to snap out the extra piece fearing I might break the Grille

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1462 of 1941 Old 06-04-2013, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Heh, the first thing I noticed was the wires...then I went 'wait, the center is white'.
My wife says I have OCD regarding cabling and she is probably right.

Spent about 5-6 hours or so on it. rolleyes.gif
But it's got a nice clean look going on from the front cool.gif

I do have a question on speaker placement though, as you can see it's a cinder block wall in back but the room has a wood wall to the right side and an large opening to another room on the left, save for that foot and a half in the corner. Is there any particular place I shouldn't miss while playing with positioning? When my speakers get here I'll be using the 11's for L/R and a 21 for the center, the sub (x200) will be located right of the TV stand where you see the coax.

Given that I only have 11's right now, I'm hoping that I get a bit more response at the low end by putting them in the corners and toe them in. But if there's better suggestions, I'm definitely open.
post #1463 of 1941 Old 06-04-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ien2 View Post

Heh, the first thing I noticed was the wires...then I went 'wait, the center is white'.
My wife says I have OCD regarding cabling and she is probably right.

Spent about 5-6 hours or so on it. rolleyes.gif
But it's got a nice clean look going on from the front cool.gif

I do have a question on speaker placement though, as you can see it's a cinder block wall in back but the room has a wood wall to the right side and an large opening to another room on the left, save for that foot and a half in the corner. Is there any particular place I shouldn't miss while playing with positioning? When my speakers get here I'll be using the 11's for L/R and a 21 for the center, the sub (x200) will be located right of the TV stand where you see the coax.

Given that I only have 11's right now, I'm hoping that I get a bit more response at the low end by putting them in the corners and toe them in. But if there's better suggestions, I'm definitely open.

Sorry I can't answer ur question, but do you have a small dog or cat? I am thinking about getting a furry pet for my girls in a couple of years but I would worry that they might scratch on the subwoofer. Anybody ever has any issues with a cat of dog getting near the sub?
post #1464 of 1941 Old 06-04-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl206 View Post

Sorry I can't answer ur question, but do you have a small dog or cat? I am thinking about getting a furry pet for my girls in a couple of years but I would worry that they might scratch on the subwoofer. Anybody ever has any issues with a cat of dog getting near the sub?

We have a cat and have her trained pretty good so she only uses her scratching post, the mice however like to investigate smile.gif

I'd doubt you'd have any problem with a dog as far as scratching or chewing on a sub, but if you get a male you might have a problem with marking eek.gif which wouldn't be so good. But the good thing is you can train a male dog not to mark (neutering will help with that too), just keep a barrier around what you don't want marked (especially a/v eq within reach) while you aren't there until properly trained. With a female dog, you won't have to worry much about anything.

With a kitty, perhaps the only thing you'd have to watch out for is if you keep the grill on. Until a kitty is trained to use only a post, any fabric can be fair game though the good news is without the grill on it'll most likely leave it alone as it'll just be hard surfaces to the kitty. The bad news is that kitties like to explore, so be prepared to train it to stay off of your a/v eq if it's in the open, don't want your stuff to fill with kitty hair biggrin.gif

Just pay attention and work with your pet and use barriers if need be until trained, which you should do with any area of the house. smile.gif
post #1465 of 1941 Old 06-04-2013, 01:27 PM

When we got our kitten she chewed through the cable for the surround speakers. They chew on anything and she seemed to really like cables for some reason.
post #1466 of 1941 Old 06-04-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyw78 View Post

When we got our kitten she chewed through the cable for the surround speakers. They chew on anything and she seemed to really like cables for some reason.

Ack, I forgot about that, yes wires do seem to get chewed on by both puppies and kitties. There are sprays out there that deter them, perhaps rubbing a little of it on the wires will do the trick.
post #1467 of 1941 Old 06-04-2013, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The N.A. distributor for C.A. told me they're ordering the horizontal Grille for the Min 21. Though, it'll take 7-8 weeks. eek.gif

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1468 of 1941 Old 06-04-2013, 08:18 PM

alright that is one cute looking feline. I guess I can wait 2 more years and see if they want a pet. My pet is the AV system lol
post #1469 of 1941 Old 06-04-2013, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I ordered the other Min 21 in white to complete my side rear speakers, some wall mounts in white and another Min 21 in Black for the Center Channel. I've really grown to like these later models due to the dynamics, clearer midrange and extended highs over the previous models. They are the most uncolored speaker I've ever owned besides my magneplaners. Where I think they may best every driver technology out there is in dispersion. Once you hear how you no longer have to sit in the sweet spot, it's hard to live with anything else. Meaning, one can sit anywhere in the room and hear everything from the speaker, just like you're sitting in the sweet spot, between the two loudspeakers. Plus, not losing volume as the distance increases is a bonus too. I can't get over how relaxed these speakers sound and how I hear every detail in the mix. Playing music I've heard countless times is a real treat because I'm always hearing something new or different. smile.gif

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1470 of 1941 Old 06-05-2013, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know this has probably been discussed to death, but I am seriously torn between the x300 and x500. I am leaning toward the 500 because my room is 16' deep (seating position to TV) 13' wide, but also open to the kitchen, hall, and foyer. Also, 18' ceilings. However, I do have a 3 and 6 year old who I don't necessarily want to wake up every time we are watching because their bed is shaking!

I am definitely going with 21s on the front three, and 11s for rears. All powered by the Denon 3313.

Thoughts? I would like to order to since my wife and kids will actually be out of town next week. I.e. I would have a ton of break in time!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , Subwoofers , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page