Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

post #1531 of 2422 Old 06-27-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 199
There is nothing anywhere referring to the 2" drive unit in the M5 as a BMR, leading me on a search to see if anyone even makes a 2" BMR.

Apparently HiWave does, according to this PartsExpress ad:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=299-208

Which of course means nothing. Still...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 2422 Old 06-27-2013, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Towards the end of this document they clearly say "custom-developed desktop, satellite speakers". In the same document they clearly talk about BMRs in the Minx Air systems so I would think if the M5 had BMR drivers they would mention it at the very least.

http://www.dimex.nl/cms/images/nieuws/downloads/minxairuitgelegd(802).pdf
post #1533 of 2422 Old 06-28-2013, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I heard back from a rep and he told me they are not BMR drivers. They are a traditional driver which they found worked best for soundstaging. I still don't know why they are categorizing them under the Minx moniker. I'll pass on this one!
post #1534 of 2422 Old 06-28-2013, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 57
That sucks. You'd think the BMR was made for something like this, I can't imagine a traditional driver being better. One of the things we all seem to like is that the dispersion is so much better giving a much larger sweet spot which is exactly what you'd want for computer speakers. Also, since it's not a BMR you'd expect the top end to suffer since they are using only one driver. Yeah, I think I'll have to pass also. frown.gif
post #1535 of 2422 Old 06-28-2013, 02:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys!

I have nice shiny white hometheater with Q Acoustics 2010i, 2000C for front. Back is Minx Min10 in wall. I`m now intrested in Minx21 for the front, neigbours don`t like my ht. biggrin.gif So little system would be more than enough, and i like small better. My subwoofer is 10" BK Electronics Gemini2. Couple of questions and info:

- Is there a day/night difference between Minx 10 and Minx 21?

- Listening room is 3metres x 4metres european house concrete walls

- I would put those 21`s on top of tv-shelf which is 140cm width, about same width as my Samsung 64" plasma. From my tv to my sofa the listening distance is 2-2,5metres. So it would not be optimal what dolby recommends the listening triangle. I dont want floor stands anymore. I know there is the little one stands for minx, they bring speakers couple cm of the shelf, but i think i cant put banana plugs if i get those. Minx 600D Table Top Stand is what i mean. Minx comes with the little silicone balls, maybe they are enough if putted to tv-shelf? I dont want to put front speakers wall also.

- Amp is Harmann Kardon 7.1

- What do you think of the subwoofer with Minx? Can i adjust it nicely with minx? I put the specs down.

- Is it stupid to change real speakers to those little wonders? biggrin.gif How much i maybe lose in sound quality?

I am only watching movies, for music i use headphones. cool.gif
Quote:
BK Electronics Gemini 2

Features:

* 2 Years Warranty
* Independent high and low level inputs with separate gain and frequency controls to enable the use of Hi-Fi and AV connections simultaneously.
* True 150W (Continuous) discrete bipolar technology DC coupled
* Twin frequency displays shows the upper roll off frequency of the twin filters
* 5 Led Vu meter shows relative power level
* Internal filter bypass switch on Low Level Input
* Variable cut off frequency 40Hz - 120Hz
* Gold Plated RCA Phono's
* 0 - 180 Deg phase switching
* IEC power input socket - no captive leads for installation flexibility
* Hand-built in Great Britain

Specifications:
System Type: Infinite Baffle Sub-bass system with on board amplification and active filtering. Fully optimised enclosure manufactured from critically damped 18mm 3/4“ MDF.
Drive Unit : 250mm 10 “ high-efficiency unit. Extreme long stroke polypropylene cone driven by a 2 ” 50mm voice coil. Heavy duty steel chassis
Amplifier: 150W RMS DC coupled bi-polar.
Inputs: High Level 100K ohm unbalanced via Neutrik Speakon connector Low level 10K unbalanced via gold plated RCA connectors.
Power Req.: 230V / 50Hz
Dimensions: 315D X 355H x 290W
Weight: 13.4 kg

Thx all!
post #1536 of 2422 Old 06-28-2013, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasp_ View Post

Hi guys!

Welcome to AVS Forum! smile.gif

Quote:

I`m now interested in Minx21 for the front, neigbours don`t like my ht. biggrin.gif So little system would be more than enough, and i like small better.

Changing your satellite speakers won't make a difference in noise levels. It's more about volume control.

Quote:

- Is there a day/night difference between Minx 10 and Minx 21?

No, there isn't a night and day difference. More like a week. biggrin.gif

I would bet they'd sound better than your current speakers in many ways.

Quote:

I would put those 21`s on top of tv-shelf which is 140cm width, about same width as my Samsung 64" plasma. From my tv to my sofa the listening distance is 2-2,5metres. So it would not be optimal what dolby recommends the listening triangle. I dont want floor stands anymore. I know there is the little one stands for minx, they bring speakers couple cm of the shelf, but i think i cant put banana plugs if i get those. Minx 600D Table Top Stand is what i mean. Minx comes with the little silicone balls, maybe they are enough if putted to tv-shelf? I dont want to put front speakers wall also.

The Minx satellites will work in almost all configurations. Not true with most other loudspeakers.

Quote:

What do you think of the subwoofer with Minx? Can i adjust it nicely with minx? I put the specs down.

Personally, I couldn't tell you because I've never heard one.

Quote:

Is it stupid to change real speakers to those little wonders? biggrin.gif How much i maybe lose in sound quality?

What makes you think these are not real speakers? confused.gifwink.gif

Quote:

I am only watching movies, for music i use headphones. cool.gif

You may want to try listening to music too. You will be surprised! cool.gif
post #1537 of 2422 Old 06-28-2013, 08:31 AM

Thx for the post. I was just going to listen music from my 10`s and put the Q`s away for a while, but...

I removed the min 10´s from the back to front to test 2.1 system. Put the avr setup fronts to 150hz, hook up cables and put some music. One of the speakers appear to be damaged. frown.gifmad.gif The sound isn`t as clean as the other and cracks. Treble seems muddy etc. These speakers were demonstration peaces, got them cheap. They are under 1 year old. Have been on the wall all the time and movie use only and never loud or anything. Now i am sad. frown.gif I sended message to my dealer, i don`t know about the warranty because these were not new pair when i bought them. I opened the cracking sound speaker, nothing seems to be broken. So i guess the BMR element is broken. :cry: I hope i can get new one or they can fix this. Damn! Bad luck i guess.. So what do we learn from this? Never buy anything used!!!mad.gif I think they reply back at maybe monday..

I have to think about what im going to do with the 21`s. There really should be more tests with orb audio, Anthony Gallo and other small satellites. And especially with movies. I think more people want small setups for their living rooms. But now this weekend officially sucks!
post #1538 of 2422 Old 06-28-2013, 12:44 PM

Ack, that sucks Gasp. Hopefully the dealer helps you out.

Here's some pictures of the Min21 with the 600D stand to give you an idea of what you can do with it:

As you can see, there is enough room for banana plugs (unless they are extremely big). The top of the speaker when horizontal is 13.7cm high and when it's vertical it sits 17.8cm high. If you have any other questions or want pics of a different angle just let me know.
post #1539 of 2422 Old 06-29-2013, 12:30 AM

Great job thanks! 13,7cm is the max high i can put there. I have nakamichi banana plugs (see pic). I sended email yesterday to my dealer and he said bring the speaker monday. Wuhuu! Great news.

For my use i think minx min 11 (5.1) would be more than enough, but if i know there is some better it changes, can`t resist. biggrin.gif So i have to think about it. In my country they cost: min 11 255€ / for 3 speakers and min 21 435€ / for 3 speakers. So almost double the price, but are they double as good? Does it give that smile on your face and bang for the buck?

Perpend: I meant with the subwoofer does it blend in with the minx minis good, because it has 40-120hz range. Minx sub`s has 40-200hz i think. But i really don`t want to change it. BK makes very nice subs. This is a beast and very good looking in white too. And very smallish.

I love my Q`s they sound and look good. But in a very small apartment i could get a away with lot of smaller speakers. And of course i wan`t something new for a change. biggrin.gif Never settle down.

post #1540 of 2422 Old 06-29-2013, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For my use i think minx min 11 (5.1) would be more than enough, but if i know there is some better it changes, can`t resist. biggrin.gif So i have to think about it. In my country they cost: min 11 255€ / for 3 speakers and min 21 435€ / for 3 speakers. So almost double the price, but are they double as good? Does it give that smile on your face and bang for the buck?

Hopefully, your dealer will have both Min 11 & 21 set up for a comparison.

Quote:

Perpend: I meant with the subwoofer does it blend in with the minx minis good, because it has 40-120hz range. Minx sub`s has 40-200hz i think. But i really don`t want to change it. BK makes very nice subs. This is a beast and very good looking in white too. And very smallish.

I may be wrong but I thought there was another Minx satellite owner who uses the same Subwoofer as you. Though, I'm not sure what model Minx it is. If your Sub's range is only to 120 Hz, you'd be better served by the Min 21. And even at that range, you would have to use the lower 120 Hz crossover point set on your AVR and your room seems small enough.
post #1541 of 2422 Old 07-01-2013, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

I'm considering getting a min21 to use as a centre speaker. As CA supply stick-on feet, I guess I can just apply these and put it on the stone fire surround without using a stand of any kind?

Later on, I'll work on my wife later on to get L and R to match. as these are left over from our previous system. As we have min11s as surround, and an S80 subwoofer, it would be a shame not to have CA for all six!
post #1542 of 2422 Old 07-04-2013, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I thought I'd Post these photos of the new Aero along with the upcoming model range. The photo of the tower has two other models which are not the same. Those two are from the forthcoming SX line and don't use a BMR. The description was pulled via the What Hi*Fi Website (http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/meet-your-maker-hi-fi-visits-cambridge-audio/?utm_campaign=Hi-Fi%2B+Weekly+Emails&utm_medium=email&page=5&utm_source=email-123).

Somewhat larger are the Aero speakers, featuring full-range balanced mode radiator (BMR) drivers instead of traditional tweeters. They also have custom-designed mid/bass drivers, and are designed for use in stereo and multichannel set-ups.

The full Aero range comprises:

• Aero 2 standmount speakers (above) - 6cm BMR plus custom-designed 15cm driver
• Aero 3 surround speakers - dual monopole/bipole configured surround sound unit (bipole for rear surround, dual monopole for rear and side effects in a 7.1 system) with 2 x 10cm BMR drivers
• Aero 5 centre speaker - 6cm BMR plus 2 x custom-designed 13cm drivers
• Aero 6 floorstanding speakers 6cm BMR plus 2 x custom-designed 15cm drivers
• Aero 9 subwoofer - with two 25cm drivers, one front-firing and one down-firing ABR (auxiliary bass radiator) to eliminate bass port air noise; 500W RMS high-efficiency Class D amplifier

The Cambridge Audio Aero range will be available this autumn, prices to be confirmed.
post #1543 of 2422 Old 07-04-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Thanks for the comprehensive post.

Although I like the notion of fullrange BMR designs, the use of the BMR for the tweeter is still good news, given that CA is capable of making very fine conventional speakers, such as the excellent S30.

I'll be very curious about the reviews.
post #1544 of 2422 Old 07-04-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You're welcome.

I'd be curious where they set the crossover on the tweeter. I'll bet it is lower than your average tweeter.
post #1545 of 2422 Old 07-04-2013, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Though, hard to see, this looks like the center channel speaker in this photo.

post #1546 of 2422 Old 07-04-2013, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And here is a close up view of the Aero tower.

post #1547 of 2422 Old 07-05-2013, 05:39 PM

Liked: 21
Will be very interesting to see how this shapes up...turns out!
post #1548 of 2422 Old 07-15-2013, 09:50 AM

Hey there,

I'm still doing construction on my theater/media room but it's time to start looking for speakers for the room. I currently have a 2.1 setup using a very good set of stand mounts and a Martin Logan Depth i sub for music and had thought about using this as the base setup for my home theater. Going this route I would use the Depth i for sub, the stand mounts as fronts, add a Minx 21 for center channel and Minx 11s for side and rear surrounds.

I have a couple of concerns with this though and the 1st would be how well the Minx 21 center would work with the stand mounts. I am thinking not very well and this leads me to think that maybe I should go with Minx 11s for the front sides. The 2nd concern is using the Depth i as a sub and how well they would work with these speakers. Frequency response for the Depth i is up to 120 Hz and with low frequency extension of the Minx's at 120 Hz and I am wondering if I will have any issues with crossover settings? The Depth i sub-woofer is nice though in that I can keep the 2.1 channel setup going as well as having a separate connection for the surround sound setup.

Thoughts?

Darcy
post #1549 of 2422 Old 07-15-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcyb62 View Post

Thoughts?

Sure. Don't do it. My personal opinion is that it's bad to mix brands Especially, smaller satellite speakers with larger bookshelf to floor standing type loudspeakers.

An interesting article for my Minx comrades.

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/national-physical-laboratory-raos-mapping/?utm_campaign=Hi-Fi%2B+Weekly+Emails&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email-137
post #1550 of 2422 Old 07-17-2013, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Guys,

I'm certainly a newbie to home theater systems but I came across these speakers for my living room setup. I currently have 2 rear JBL speakers in-celing hooked up to an Onkyo tx-nr 616. Obviously, I need some front speakers but something very discrete & effective. I was wondering if I used 3 of the Minx 11's for my left, center, and right speakers, would it be a pretty good fit for my setup? I have a long cabinet that is below the mounted tv and I would place these on top. Also, I am probably going to get a subwoofer installed in-wall behind the cabinet. What do you guys think of this setup? I am really intrigued with these speakers and would like to make sure they will match up with my current setup. Thanks
post #1551 of 2422 Old 07-19-2013, 01:23 PM

Hi guys,

I am looking to get some compact speakers for a 5.1 system. Got interested in the Minx speakers after reading some reviews online, but most were on the previous generation. Wanted to get some advice regarding the Min 11 vs Min 21 for my space.

The speakers will be for a 5.1 desktop system in a 13'x11'x8' bedroom with a listening distance of 3-4 feet most of the time. They will be used with a SVS SB12-NSB and Denon AVR-1713. Usage will be a 60/40 split between music and gaming.

1. Would the Min 21 be a noticeable improvement over the Min 11 for my space?

2. The Paradigm MilleniaOne were another option I was considering as well. Has anyone compared the Min 21 to MilleniaOne?

Would appreciate any advice, thanks in advance.
post #1552 of 2422 Old 07-19-2013, 01:33 PM

Hi potatoe If you can afford and budget is not an issue then just buy Min 21 sure there's a noticeable improvement over Min 11.
I own both Min 20 & Min initially my plan was to have only 3 min 20 for front L/R/C and for surround Min 10 but after listening to both i decided to go with Min 20 for all 5 and only bought Min 10 for front height.
I have compared Minx with Paradigm MilleniaOne and frankly with a lot more including Cabbase, Waterfall, BOSE, Boston Acoustics soundware & Mission M-Cube frankly a few more and after testing all of them decided to go with Minx and till today have no regret on my decision not only that SQ is better than almost all of them but when you put the pricing in the equation they become even more attractive.
So i'm sure you will be very happy with them i spent almost a month plus comparing & listening almost all the small speakers available in the market oh yeah i did compare them with Mirage MX as well..
But be sure you give them at least 20-30hrs of break in time before you think of regretting your decision smile.gif
post #1553 of 2422 Old 07-19-2013, 08:02 PM

Hey Rock and potatoe,

@Rock: Though you want to timbre match your front, the sides/rears aren't quite as important. There just isn't enough information directed their way where it will be that big of a deal assuming they are decent sounding to begin with. I suppose I should clarify, currently for my rears I grabbed some old Altec Lansing computer speakers. They don't compare at all to my front three and you can easily tell that when listening. The difference is, is that your concentration is directed towards the front. Between that and the lack of information it's not really bothersome for me even though it is noticeable. I'd prefer matching, but funds aren't available right now and I'd rather have the surround than just fronts.

You'll have to decide for yourself if it's something that will bother you. For a lot of people, it's not a primary concern given the above reasons, usually practicality is the overriding issue. As for the sub, just make sure it can reach 200hz, though most likely you'll cross-over somewhere between 120-150hz it'll be nice to have that extra head room just in case. I'd suggest not having it in-wall though, sub placement can really make a difference and you lose that ability to find the best spot with in-wall. But at times functionality is too important which I understand and if that's what works best then go for it. As far as the AVR goes, you should be just fine.

@potatoe and Rock: There is a definite difference in sound between the 11's and 21's and absolutely worth the upgrade. I'm current running 21's for left/right and an 11 for the center and there is a difference in sound between them. I don't want to slight the 11's, there are very nice and I'd be very happy with an all 11 setup. But the 21's do provide an increased depth, presence, and seems to provide better dispersion, all of which means it's worth getting the 21's if possible. This will be true regardless of the room size.

But with either the 11's or 21's I'll also reiterate that there needs to be a break in period before making a choice as to whether or not you thought you made a good purchase. As rmunawar9 says at least 20-30 hrs minimum, though I'd give it more around the 30-40 hour range. At first they'll sound a little "tense" if you will. As they are played they will loosen up and the sound will become smoother and more effortless. Also you will notice an increase in clarity and dynamics which will make the sound seem to open up as if a veil was removed.
post #1554 of 2422 Old 07-21-2013, 03:21 AM

Liked: 12
Perpendicular, thanks so much for posting photos of the Aero speakers!! biggrin.gif

WOW, I had no idea that Cambridge was releasing new bookshelf speakers this fall, and definitely not speakers using the BMR technology. This speaker will be amazing, I'm sure!

I am glad since I was on the fence with the Min21s and a two way bookshelf speaker-- this will be perfect for me, lol

Also, I LOVE the look of the 2 bookshelf sized Aeros, and I hope these will be sold in Canada or I will be very, very sad.
post #1555 of 2422 Old 07-23-2013, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Guys,

I just had a quick read of the Min Air 100 and 200 models. I was looking for some technical details of these with the thought of using the Air 200 for the bedroom as a cheap air play / bluetooth system coupled to the mobiles phones we seem to carry all the time. The manual doesn't specify any frequency response, but noticed that the drive units of the Air 100 is a pair of 4" BMR (assume left + right channel for stereo). The larger Air 200 unit seems to use the smaller pair of 2.25" BMR (I believe these are the same size drivers found in the Min10/11 and Min20/21) coupled with a 6.5" base radiator.

What's obvious to me is that the Min Air will go down much deeper in the lower frequency range compared to the Min11/21. Just don't know how well.

There are now 4" BMR drive units commercially available.

This has now got me interested in the Minx speaker system again. The benefits of the BMR having a wide sweet spot coupled with large drive unit that can do down to 80Hz would be an ideal satellite speaker.

If Cambridge Audio sells a lot of the Air 100, it just might help them transition to making a compact single driver 4" BMR satellite speaker (i.e. Min30) and the dual 4" BMR (i.e. Min40). Key is to get the frequency response down to 80Hz - or lower.

I'm willing to purchase if this happens. Are there any other takers out there?

Steve

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4) & 10x10HD, Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
post #1556 of 2422 Old 07-24-2013, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It may be a while, if ever. CA is putting that 4 inch driver into their Aero loudspeaker line.
post #1557 of 2422 Old 07-25-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 334
I noticed that the Aero speakers have BMR driver sized for 6cm (about 2.36") and these are not much bigger than the Min11/21. It seems the new Aero line is not going to use the large 4" BMR driver.rolleyes.gif

It would be a shame if CA would not develop a better Minx utilizing a larger 4" BMR driver. The delay in the development of a future Min30/40 system means looking for alternatives for a new sat-sub system for me.

Steve

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4) & 10x10HD, Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
post #1558 of 2422 Old 07-26-2013, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The speaker getting the 4 inch driver is the Aero surround. The current announced Aero line is still a work in progress. So, it is anyone's guess (other than CA) what the future holds. wink.gif
post #1559 of 2422 Old 07-26-2013, 04:58 PM

Liked: 12
Isn't the Aeros coming this fall? The link you provided, shows how large these speakers are (compared to Min 21) and wouldn't these new Aeros be true 2-way speakers, like Cambridge's S30?
post #1560 of 2422 Old 07-26-2013, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A rep told me the Aero line is being introduced this Fall but what he didn't mention is where. Remember how long it took the updated Minx systems to make their appearance?

Personally, I'm very interested in what the price point will be on the Aero line. Specifically, the floor standers. Bottom line, the Minx system is a "Lifestyle" system that is very good and is quality over quantity. I'm looking to add the quantity with the BMR driver that I can still use with the Min 21 as the surround and possibly, in the future, height and wide. I'm just hoping they won't be priced beyond my budget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , Subwoofers , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page