Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 58 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1711 of 1932 Old 10-14-2013, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

I've listened to the BMR so long that it's become addictive. I cannot say what that guy was hearing with that particular BMR but it wasn't a Minx speaker. There is plenty of detail but the only thing that may be missing is the top end extension that you get with a good extended tweeter design such as a ribbon. I own a pair of speakers with ribbon tweeters and will say that I don't miss them. Lately, when I go and have a listen to other speaker designs, I can almost always hear the separate drivers.

I appreciate your opinion Jeff and value it more as a long-term owner more than I guy I suspect only listened to a BMR for a short time, if at all. And like you said, he was referring to PE's own BMR driver as opposed to the Minx so who can say how many differences there are between the model he listened to and a Minx?

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1932 Old 10-14-2013, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ien2 View Post

I believe the screws are M5 in size, the Dayton's should be fine with them. At the most you'll have to get a slightly longer bolt if the bracket is too thick.

Wish I could go, sounds like fun. If you have time could you check out the Genesis booth? Specifically the 7c and 7p speakers if they have them. There's not really that much info here or other sites regarding Genesis as a whole and I'm looking to replace my Infinity's.

I did check out the room with Genesis speakers. The speakers were the G7.2f floorstanders with Burmeister electronics (I didn't inquire about the specific models because I knew Burmeister is in the 'if you have to ask..." price range. For better or worse, I was not impressed with the sound of the system. It sounded tipped up in the treble with lightweight bass. Though I can't prove this empirically, I strongly suspect the room was the main culprit here, not the speakers themselves. Indeed, as I walked around the speakers after listening to them for a few minutes (which was about all I could tolerate, even at the moderate level they were playing) the bass level improved and the treble was in better balance relative to the mids and bass. IMO, the G7.2f is a ruthlessly revealing speaker that has the potential to offer performance, but care has to be taken with the electronics and room you pair them with.

FWIW: Another room that produced similar sound was the SVS room. Though the speakers and subs they used (Ultra towers, surrounds and center combined with a pair of SB13 Ultra subs) appeared to be well built at a very attractive price, the treble was too hot for me and the subs, though tight and powerful produced distinct sound independent from the rest of the system. It's not that I could pinpoint their location in the room, but they were high enough in level and tuned such that I could clearly detect them as separate transducers in the room. Having said all this I think the SVS system has great potential in the right room with proper tuning of electronics and room at a price not requiring a second mortgage. Final note: The SVS demo material (all Bluray during my visit) was excellent. So much so that I jotted down all the material used and will buy it when the dust settles at bit (maybe Black Friday when some deals may be on...)

Eric
post #1713 of 1932 Old 10-14-2013, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by elockett View Post

I appreciate your opinion Jeff and value it more as a long-term owner more than I guy I suspect only listened to a BMR for a short time, if at all. And like you said, he was referring to PE's own BMR driver as opposed to the Minx so who can say how many differences there are between the model he listened to and a Minx?

I haven't heard any Balance Mode Radiators other than the Minx satellites. From what I understand, Cambridge Audio has the 2 1/4" BMR specifically tweaked to their specifications. The problem with the two reviews from Home Theater magazine is the measurements are taken with the grille on. Unfortunately, the Minx satellite is compromised in this configuration. I'm quite sure that the reason why they measure the speaker with the grille in-place is because of how it will be used in most homes. It's just too bad that they do not show the measurements with and without the grille. I feel that listening with the grille in place is okay but it takes some of the life out of the sound. It's really a personal choice and one that I made because I listen to music quite often.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1714 of 1932 Old 10-14-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiebird2008 View Post

As for the Minx speakers, as previously stated I am considering a 5.1 system consisting of 3 x 21s for the LRC and 2 x 11s for the surround rears. I was considering getting 10s instead of the 11 for the rear to save $100. Is there any drawback to doing this? Do the 11s have newer technology that makes them significantly better than the 10s? While it saves $100, its not that much when considering the total price of the HT setup. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

I would say if the system is being used for watching movies/tv most of the time, you can get away with the Min 10. If you listen to music a lot, especially surround (5.1), I would do the Min 21 and at the very least, Min 11.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1715 of 1932 Old 10-14-2013, 01:01 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:

The problem with the two reviews from Home Theater magazine is the measurements are taken with the grille on. Unfortunately, the Minx satellite is compromised in this configuration. I'm quite sure that the reason why they measure the speaker with the grille in-place is because of how it will be used in most homes. It's just too bad that they do not show the measurements with and without the grille. I feel that listening with the grille in place is okay but it takes some of the life out of the sound. It's really a personal choice and one that I made because I listen to music quite often.
I agree with you Jeffrey, and I don't own the minx.....yet! Most people will keep the grills on for looks. Just that 1" space between the BMR and the "cloth" should/would hinder the output especially considering the nature of the BMR and the dense knit "cloth". Unfortunately they should have produced a better material for the covers, and IMHO should have made the white models using all white materials. The white minx would have looked much better as I see the black models do without the grills. As you know I am no expert it's just my opinion. ;~)
post #1716 of 1932 Old 10-14-2013, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

eek.gif One inch?? The mesh part of the grille is practically resting on the foam surround of the BMR. It's worse with the Min 10/20 due to the added plastic in the center of the grille frame.
Quote:
Unfortunately they should have produced a better material for the covers...

I've read that a perforated metal grille is better.

Quote:
...and IMHO should have made the white models using all white materials. The white minx would have looked much better as I see the black models do without the grills.

I really like the look of the White speaker with the grey border and grille. It does give it style over an all white speaker. You really need to see one in person. Though, I can see why a lot of people would want a completely all white model.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1717 of 1932 Old 10-14-2013, 02:04 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I would say if the system is being used for watching movies/tv most of the time, you can get away with the Min 10. If you listen to music a lot, especially surround (5.1), I would do the Min 21 and at the very least, Min 11.

Great thanks. Definately mostly used for TV and movies. While I will most certainly play music on it, it will not be in true "audiophile" form such as blurays of concerts/performances where you are looking to truly experience the music/acoustics. Just curious, is there a technology based advantage from the 10 to 11 that makes the later more suitable for music (i.e. does one have better treble than the other)? Either way, I think youve convinced me to stick with the 10s in the rear. Maybe you can talk me out of it...? ;)

post #1718 of 1932 Old 10-14-2013, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

btw, isn't the RMAF all about two-channel audio? I wouldn't think there would be any Aero or Minx speakers set up since these models are marketed as Home Theater systems.

I just realized I never answered your question: Yes, RMAF is mainly a two-channel show though a few vendors have HT setups (Hsu Research and SVS are examples and I'm sure there are a few I missed). In my view the two channel bias of the show shouldn't prevent CA or a CA dealer from showing a pair of Minx with of their subs or the areo with stereo content. Assuming both speakers sound good they would be likely prove to be a point of interest for attendees if for no other reason than their relative low cost. Indeed, most speakers at RMAF sell in the 4-6 figure range. Beyond price, what if someone (like me for example) wants high quality sound but doesn't have the room for more traditionally sized speakers?

Eric
post #1719 of 1932 Old 10-14-2013, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

eek.gif One inch?? The mesh part of the grille is practically resting on the foam surround of the BMR. It's worse with the Min 10/20 due to the added plastic in the center of the grille frame.
I've read that a perforated metal grille is better...

I hope you're right about the metal grill because for better or worse, that's where my center Min21 will be located (within a Salamander Synergy lowboy cabinet). I guess the test will be how intelligible voices are with this placement.
post #1720 of 1932 Old 10-14-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just curious, is there a technology based advantage from the 10 to 11 that makes the later more suitable for music (i.e. does one have better treble than the other)?

The design between the two generations of BMR is different.

Quote:
Either way, I think you've convinced me to stick with the 10s in the rear. Maybe you can talk me out of it...?

Well, if I can't, maybe Ben can. biggrin.gif

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1721 of 1932 Old 10-14-2013, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And here is a video showing the BMR in the Min 11 really moving. biggrin.gif

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1722 of 1932 Old 10-14-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's a French fellow giving the Minx speakers the middle finger. eek.gif

AVfile likes this.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1723 of 1932 Old 10-14-2013, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I found this video that someone pieced together of photos of the Minx systems and noticed someone threw a couple of my very old ones in for good measure. eek.gifbiggrin.gif

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1724 of 1932 Old 10-14-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:

Here's a French fellow giving the Minx speakers the middle finger. eek.gif

Haha this is great. It sounds like he really likes the speakers but his actions are giving them a big F- you. I'm so confused!

Thanks for the videos. Decisions, decisions..
post #1725 of 1932 Old 10-14-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Maybe that's his measuring tool. eek.gifbiggrin.gif

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1726 of 1932 Old 10-14-2013, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

btw, I would get the Min 10 now. Then, upgrade to the Min 11 later and move the 10 to height or wide duty. biggrin.gif

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1727 of 1932 Old 10-14-2013, 08:11 PM

Quite the suggestion sir, very forward thinking of you. I guess I just made up my mind. Thanks for all your help. biggrin.gif
post #1728 of 1932 Old 10-15-2013, 05:29 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:

Quite the suggestion sir, very forward thinking of you. I guess I just made up my mind. Thanks for all your help. biggrin.gif

Yep, Jeffrey does have a good solid thought process! Just don't challenge him to chess aboard the starship Enterprise.......you'll lose! smile.gif ;~) : {)
post #1729 of 1932 Old 10-15-2013, 05:48 PM

Liked: 41
That is a good suggestion, for wide speakers it might be worth getting a cheap couple of 10's, never thought of that.
post #1730 of 1932 Old 10-16-2013, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

In time, you would have. I would get a couple of 10's before it's too late. There are ooooonly 195 left in stock at Amazon. biggrin.gif

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1731 of 1932 Old 10-30-2013, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I’m searching for a portable pair of speakers which I can take along whenever I go on vacation and the minx 21 or 11, in particular, has piqued my interest. It will be matched with a portable subwoofer that I just received, then both will eventually connect to a NAD D 3020 integrated amp.

Most of the reviews I’ve glanced through were quite positive overall, suggesting higher crossover set-ups with a subwoofer. Therefore, having an efficient sub that can capably deliver up to 150 Hz is a must. I’m banking on this sub I got, not necessarily for delivering deep bass, but more so for handling upper bass extensions with good definition and precision.

But my question lies here – if I go with the minx 11, does sound quality tend to have a glassy treble nature once volume output is cranked up from moderate to loud volume levels (without pushing to distortion level, of course)?

Also, after such break-in periods (if ever that really helps), has anyone ever compared them with some of the more popular tiny bookshelf speakers, such the NHT superzero or Paradigm MilleniaOne, in the upper range frequencies? I've also considered the PSB Imagine Mini bookshelves but they still look too bulky to bring along. This minx 11 or 21 though looks more suited for travel.
post #1732 of 1932 Old 10-31-2013, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximori View Post

Most of the reviews I’ve glanced through were quite positive overall, suggesting higher crossover set-ups with a subwoofer. Therefore, having an efficient sub that can capably deliver up to 150 Hz is a must. I’m banking on this sub I got, not necessarily for delivering deep bass, but more so for handling upper bass extensions with good definition and precision.

I'm curious. Is the subwoofer you acquired, the PSB SubSeries 100? I was checking that one out about a couple weeks back and it looks like it may match well with the Minx series.

Quote:

But my question lies here – if I go with the minx 11, does sound quality tend to have a glassy treble nature once volume output is cranked up from moderate to loud volume levels (without pushing to distortion level, of course)?

No, the sound doesn't change at higher volume.

Quote:

Also, after such break-in periods (if ever that really helps), has anyone ever compared them with some of the more popular tiny bookshelf speakers, such the NHT superzero or Paradigm MilleniaOne, in the upper range frequencies? I've also considered the PSB Imagine Mini bookshelves but they still look too bulky to bring along. This minx 11 or 21 though looks more suited for travel.

I've listened to many different brands and can tell you that the BMR does not sound like any of the multi-driver speakers. It throws a tremendous, coherent soundstage. Though, it does lack the top end detail and, of course, low end frequencies.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1733 of 1932 Old 10-31-2013, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm curious. Is the subwoofer you acquired, the PSB SubSeries 100? I was checking that one out about a couple weeks back and it looks like it may match well with the Minx series.

No, the sound doesn't change at higher volume.
I've listened to many different brands and can tell you that the BMR does not sound like any of the multi-driver speakers. It throws a tremendous, coherent soundstage. Though, it does lack the top end detail and, of course, low end frequencies.

Yup, that's correct. I haven't spent much time with it yet but initial impression is very good. Matched with the NHT SuperZeros, there's definitely life in the lower bass region. Obviously, it won't dig deep enough but the amount of bass output coming from it - with that size, will just stun you. I'll have plenty more time this weekend.

I normally use my NHT with a Velodyne Microvee sub, which I've always considered one of the best compact subs I've heard in providing that upper bass definition. From the day I started using this sub, the presence of bass was taut and never sounded boomy. It had excellent control of the cross-over settings as well. Unfortunately, it was just too heavy to take along every time.

This PSB 100 though is something else. Positioned dead center between my speakers and half-way in front of me on the floor, it produced quite a punch and a nice perfect blend with the NHTs. Sound-staging was always fantastic!

So anyway, I'm curious and excited now - so went ahead and ordered a pair of minx11. Thanks for your time - and glad to know its limitation. Like you, I've tried plenty of speakers that have been discussed around here, but feel only few that I know of that can deliver a good top end detail extension. I was hoping the minx had this attribute.
post #1734 of 1932 Old 11-01-2013, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Allow them to fully break in and for best results, listen sans grilles. They are a very special satellite speaker indeed.

I was thinking of ordering about four of the PSB Subs.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1735 of 1932 Old 11-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Allow them to fully break in and for best results, listen sans grilles. They are a very special satellite speaker indeed.

I was thinking of ordering about four of the PSB Subs.

You may want to try out one or two first and see how they work for you. After spending some quality time, I might keep it since I won't be able find anything smaller than this that'll perform almost like a real subwoofer.

It's really more like a mid-lo woofer, or a third speaker that handles the bass region. In such a small footprint design (around 6 x 6 x 7) it also suggests that it be placed on your desktop. Furthermore, it's incredibly light, given its purpose - even lighter than my NHT Superzero speaker, which makes it so easy to transport.

Just a minor caveat: adjusting gain and crossover controls on this sub can be a bit finicky as it can take some time to find that perfect blend with your sat speaker, since you'll have to find the sweet spot to get the most out of it. I found that optimal position somewhere in the center front of you between the two speakers. From thereon, imaging becomes striking and the bass sounds like they are coming out of those tiny bookshelf speakers.

I wanted to get more detail out in the upper mid bass region though as it currently sounded a tad loose. Also, when listening to certain tracks, I noticed a slight dip somewhere in the same region. An immediate loss of tightness was also apparent as I cranked it up higher to 150 HZ crossover point. This might be the reason why I’m not getting some transient attacks that I expect to hear with these tracks. idk

Having said this, it might cause an issue with the minx 11; as I said earlier, I was really hoping for this sub to augment some of the missing detail that is to be expected with a sat speaker. Unfortunately, I don’t know of any good sub that can efficiently handle the upper mid bass area because that's not in their duty at all. However, by looking at the PSB sub 100 build - with a bass driver of only 5" woofer I was counting on its performance to supplement around that area. I guess I'll have to wait and see until I get the minx11, scheduled for tomorrow's delivery.
post #1736 of 1932 Old 11-03-2013, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Interesting. Let me know how the two blend together. I was thinking of two for the main system used as main woofer to augment the satellites and then using a Sub for LFE. Also, I was thinking of adding two for my bedroom system but now I'm contemplating active speakers again, as well as, a pair of Magnepans. confused.gifbiggrin.gif

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1737 of 1932 Old 11-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Interesting. Let me know how the two blend together. I was thinking of two for the main system used as main woofer to augment the satellites and then using a Sub for LFE. Also, I was thinking of adding two for my bedroom system but now I'm contemplating active speakers again, as well as, a pair of Magnepans. confused.gifbiggrin.gif

The combo works very well. I found placing the sub much closer to you provides much deeper bass as well, which is quite effective for near-field situations.

When I was holding this tiny cube, it brought me back to the days when I had my first foray into HT…that was when I had purchased a complete bose acoustimass system at the mall haha. Anyhow, sound-wise, it didn’t have any of that sound output nature typically with tiny cube speakers in the upper end; in fact, I found it surprisingly almost on par with the Superzeros – well not quite there, in terms of resolving detail (for instance, when it came down to various instruments playing simultaneously)

Besides that, I felt its top end sounded better than some of the recent speakers I’ve tried, which didn’t lasted long enough in my listening room…and those included an Audiengine P4 and Pioneer BS22. The P4 had the richness, from my recollection, but never sounded smooth to me. The BS22, on the other hand, never had both richness and detail but somehow compensated for a smoother tone and seem to be more bassentric.
Anyway, the minx tonal quality just sounded natural and wonderful to me at medium listening levels…but yeah, extensions weren’t there.

To be honest, I can’t be so critical as it met my demand as a light travelling 2.1 system. Despite its obvious limitation, it does more things right...and when combined with the portable PSB sub 100, it's definitely superior to any expensive Bluetooth speaker in that same price range I’ve recently tried by a wide margin wink.gif I’ll put more hours into it this weekend.
post #1738 of 1932 Old 11-07-2013, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the feedback! I decided to get serious for my two-channel system and order a pair of Emotiva Stealth 6 which should arrive on Saturday. My Minx Min 21 5.2 system will remain in the living room for the time being.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1739 of 1932 Old 11-16-2013, 07:58 PM

Liked: 12

I went to my Richer Sounds today to test out the Yamaha YSP 2200 (5.1 sound projector). It sounded pretty bad, maybe it wasn't set up properly IDK. Anyway, I asked the demonstrator (who was a trainee and didn't really know what he was doing) to switch it over to a real 5.1 system, so he put on the Minxes. I knew nothing about them, but the disc he put in was I think the Twilight Saga, which starts off with a fairly musical introduction. 

My wife who didn't want to be there at all, looked up from playing with her phone at this point, and actually started to watch. So that was a good sign.

Anyway, I was impressed, but slightly disappointed that the system being demoed was £750 plus receiver (a basic Yamaha RXV 375), so a full £1,000 in all.

The guy did say they could do a deal, I didn't press the point though, one key feature was that the £750 was exactly equal to buying 5 separate £100 MIIN21s and the £250 sub, so you would think there would be plenty of room to discount.

I guess they must sell quite a few of them because the size is so small and the system was setup, so I guess it's a big seller.

My wife said no to the whole thing, even buying a sound bar, but I'm going to ignore her and do it anyway.

My room measures 7'6 high, 11' deep and 14' long (plus a bay window). So it's small.

The TV (42") is in the corner, and I sit in the middle of the room facing it (on the left seat of the two seater visible in the photo below).

http://i.imgur.com/pZl5JcX.jpg 

What do you think about placement of speakers and sub with the Minxes?

post #1740 of 1932 Old 11-19-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Hi All,

It seems Cambridge Audio has launched a new Soundbar called "Minx TV" - uses Twin 2.25" BMR Drivers & an integrated 6.5" Subwoofer - interesting!

http://www.avforums.com/news/cambridge-audio-minx-tv-launched.9510

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/minx-tv

Bazzy!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , Subwoofers , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page