Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 1919 Old 06-08-2014, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baswazz View Post

The X300 Sub does not turn on below a certain loudness. When i increase the loudness it does turn on. Does anyone know how to change this?
My Receiver is a Onkyo NR515.

The drawback (if you can call it that) to using some subwoofer models especially in a satellite based system is that they don't like to turn on until the volume is at a certain level and the only work around is to either leave the Sub on all the time instead of standby mode or turn it on when you are using it, then turn it off completely. I use two subs on one LFE outlet so I need to keep the volume up pretty high to get them to come on. Depending on what I'm watching or listening to, I will leave them in standby mode until they turn on with popular music. With classical, acoustic, small jazz assembles, movies and television, I turn them on completely. Yes, sort of a PITA.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 1919 Old 06-08-2014, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

The X300 Sub does not turn on below a certain loudness. When i increase the loudness it does turn on. Does anyone know how to change this?

Basswazz,

At the back of the X300, there is L + R RCA connection from the AVR. Try the following.

Out of the Onkyo NR515 sub out, use a Y-adapter like this one from monoprice: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10429&cs_id=1042904&p_id=7195&seq=1&format=2

You would connect 2 RCA cables via the Y-adapter into the sub L+R RCA sockets. The purpose of this is to effectively half the sub sensitivity because the AVR is giving out twice as much signal (6dB increase). Good sub design have the summation circuit of L+R in the amp for stereo input connection - would like to think that CA has done this. Some have used this trick to minimize the volume needed to kick in the sub from standby mode.

Report back if you've had success with this compared to a single cable version. The volume you play at would be a determining factor.

Also the Onkyo NR515 has dynamic eq and dynamic volume which increases the low frequencies at low volume listening. Try enabling these features to see if it would kick in the sub from standby mode.

Edit: Included suggestions for dynamic eq and dynamic volume.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #1893 of 1919 Old 06-08-2014, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

What volume setting are you talking about to get it to turn on? For comparison purposes, I have had 3 different receivers connected to my X300 with min 21's, Yamaha RX-A820, NAD T748v2 and now a Marantz SR5008 and my X300 has always turn on a split second after I turn the receiver's on. Blue light comes on immediately and you can start to hear the low freq. I have my receiver volume set to come on at -30db when I turn it on.

Living room;  Samsung UN55F7100 3D LED, Marantz SR5008, Oppo BDP-103, Cambridge Audio Minx S325-v2 5.1, Comcast DVR HD box.

Garage;         Sherwood RX-4105 2 channel stereo receiver, Samsung DVD-C500 CD player, Klipsch KG 2.5 med oak speakers

post #1894 of 1919 Old 06-09-2014, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKSKYDANCER View Post

What volume setting are you talking about to get it to turn on? For comparison purposes, I have had 3 different receivers connected to my X300 with min 21's, Yamaha RX-A820, NAD T748v2 and now a Marantz SR5008 and my X300 has always turn on a split second after I turn the receiver's on. Blue light comes on immediately and you can start to hear the low freq. I have my receiver volume set to come on at -30db when I turn it on.

This does sound like a sensitivity issue but I've never heard of and do like Steve's suggestion. smile.gif My Subwoofer (Mirage) is not perfect but it's sensitivity to turn on is better when only using one, as opposed to two.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1895 of 1919 Old 06-17-2014, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Over the weekend I had a chance to try out Steve's suggestion to see if it would work for me. Actually, I ended up using a set of adapters on the input of my two subs that are similar to this.

My subs now turn on at a lower level but the problem I find is that one of them turns on and then the other won't turn on until I have to volume up about 10 db more in level. It's not a big deal because, at least, they come on at a lower level now and that makes me happy.
post #1896 of 1919 Old 06-17-2014, 05:25 PM

^Perpendicular,

Glad it worked out for you. Regarding why one of the subs turns on at a different level, do you have subs from separate suppliers? I.e. Non-identical subs. The plate amps from each supplier will have different sensitivity factors.

If your subs are the same make and model, the manufacturing tolerances might not be that great as claimed by marketing. 10dB sensitivity is quite a big gap for identical amps.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #1897 of 1919 Old 06-18-2014, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^ No, both identical Subs set at the same volume (set by SP meter), phase and crossover (bypass) levels.
post #1898 of 1919 Old 06-19-2014, 01:49 AM

^ Perpendicular,

Strange that with two identical subs, one amp is significantly less sensitive compared to the other.

Are the level setting for each sub amp the same? If you gain matched the subs, the levels settings should be close to each other.

Have you tried swapping the sub positions around to isolate the particular sub amp that's the issue? Be sure to jot down each sub position and settings before doing the swap.

post #1899 of 1919 Old 06-19-2014, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My subs are only a couple feet apart between the L&R satellites and below the center channel. The problem may be my "Y" splitter coming off of my AVR but I doubt it. Plus, I've never had a problem of them both turning on at the same time on the standby mode before. Anyway, when the volume is high enough, they both will be on.
post #1900 of 1919 Old 06-24-2014, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Glad it worked out for you.
I did forget to mention that the day after I re-wired my subs, I noticed the sound of them was not right. I ended up having to run room calibration again and I'm back where I was before with the subs not turning on until I reach a much higher volume.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1901 of 1919 Old 06-24-2014, 09:49 PM

^ Perpendicular,

Help me understand your set-up from the receiver to the subs. Would like to focus on the wiring.

Does your receiver (believe it to be Pioneer model #?) have dual LFE outputs? If it's single LFE, you would need a Y-adapter there to run separate RCA cables to each sub.

At your Mirage sub, does it have L+R inputs for the LFE? If it does, you would need another Y-adapter here to double the LFE input so that the plate amp can sum the singles internally within the circuit.

So assuming your receiver has just one LFE input and each Mirage sub has L+R for LFE, the wiring would go like this:

1. Poineer AVR LFE sub out ---> Y-adapter
2. AVR Y-adapter left output ---> RCA cable + Y-adapter ---> Mirage sub 1 L + R
3. AVR Y-adapter right output ---> RCA cable + Y-adapter ---> Mirage sub 2 L+R

With the above, you would need 3 Y-adapters and two RCA cables from your AVR to the two Mirage subs.

post #1902 of 1919 Old 06-25-2014, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Help me understand your set-up from the receiver to the subs. Would like to focus on the wiring.
So assuming your receiver has just one LFE input and each Mirage sub has L+R for LFE, the wiring would go like this:

1. Poineer AVR LFE sub out ---> Y-adapter
2. AVR Y-adapter left output ---> RCA cable + Y-adapter ---> Mirage sub 1 L + R
3. AVR Y-adapter right output ---> RCA cable + Y-adapter ---> Mirage sub 2 L+R

With the above, you would need 3 Y-adapters and two RCA cables from your AVR to the two Mirage subs.
Bingo!

I will not despair. I already plan to move away from a sub/sat system soon enough and my problem will be but a distant memory.

OPPO BETA GROUP

Last edited by Perpendicular; 06-25-2014 at 09:54 AM.
post #1903 of 1919 Old 06-25-2014, 05:52 PM

^Perpendicular,

If your long term plan is to move to larger speakers, I believe you would still need at least a pair of subs for the 0.1 frequencies in the movie sound tracks. If going with just large 3-way tower speakers, it would struggle with the 0.1 tracks. There is also the issue of room modes to deal with and the placement of large tower speakers may not be the best place for getting smooth bass at the Main Listening Position.

I believe you're already familiar with the above concept. How to get the best imaging with the speakers and bass correct with subs.

post #1904 of 1919 Old 06-26-2014, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Most likely, I won't be doing tower speakers, only bookshelf type. I feel, a larger floor standing speaker is a waste for my space. Though, you never know! I have a couple of months to think about it.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1905 of 1919 Old 06-26-2014, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post
I may be moving away from a BMR based system fairly soon. Problem is, I will miss what they do so well, but on the other hand, I miss the full scale of music that a larger speaker driver creates with music. I find the Minx system fantastic with movies. If I did not listen much to music I would not feel the urge to progress. The Aero and forthcoming Aeromax sound promising but my reservation is with the old style boxy look. I want something to look aesthetically pleasing in my room as well as sound good. It looks like Cambridge Audio is going to wait another year before they update their Minx line, if at all. The other thing I think about and why it's taken me a while to upgrade is the question of where the industry is heading. Are the newer codecs on the horizon going to ask us for more speakers in our living space? This seems to be where they are headed. Or, is there some 'other' promising technological advancement in the wings that will give us better surround sound with only 2-5 loudspeakers? So, just like the first sentence states, I MAY be moving away from the Minx.

I hope all you Minx owners are doing well!
With Atmos changing the landscape of current setups I can't bear the thought of dealing with so many speakers, other than the Minx, to mount on a ceiling. So I'd be curious to know what they can come up with to suit this new format. I hope Cambridge refines their sound though but retain the size and weight for the Minx as they're such ideal for ceiling mounts.
post #1906 of 1919 Old 06-27-2014, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximori View Post
With Atmos changing the landscape of current setups I can't bear the thought of dealing with so many speakers, other than the Minx, to mount on a ceiling. So I'd be curious to know what they can come up with to suit this new format. I hope Cambridge refines their sound though but retain the size and weight for the Minx as they're such ideal for ceiling mounts.
Yes, this is the other 'thing' I've wrestled with lately. I may just update my AV receiver with one that contains Atmos and wait on upgrading the speakers. It took me so long to go beyond a two-channel system and it wasn't until around 2006 that I finally did. At least, this is the year I remember.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1907 of 1919 Old 06-27-2014, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually, I think it was circa 2008, around the time I joined AVS Forum.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1908 of 1919 Old 06-27-2014, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post
Yes, this is the other 'thing' I've wrestled with lately. I may just update my AV receiver with one that contains Atmos and wait on upgrading the speakers. It took me so long to go beyond a two-channel system and it wasn't until around 2006 that I finally did. At least, this is the year I remember.
I might do the same - upgrade to an Atmos receiver but hope for prices to come down for these cubes later. I'm not quite convinced yet having a reflected sound bouncing off a ceiling and provide true discrete sound objects, as opposed to having actual speakers mounted to a ceiling, but we'll see. A demo will soon be available as mentioned in the Atmos thread so that's going to be interesting...

So I guess, like you, I lean towards the less is more idea and still want a room to appear like a living room...or have that minimalist appeal to it, which is quite the opposite of Atmos requirement
post #1909 of 1919 Old 06-27-2014, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I thought I read that the home version of Atmos includes the choice of ceiling speakers too?

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1910 of 1919 Old 06-27-2014, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

That's what thought as well. It's a bit confusing as of now to have options either to do multi-speaker setup or, as an alternative, or go with Atmos enabled speakers like the expensive entry-level Pioneer Atmos speakers.
post #1911 of 1919 Old 06-27-2014, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I just checked. It does allow both setups.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1912 of 1919 Old 07-05-2014, 09:15 AM

Anyone who knows if Cambridge Audio has plans to expand their Minx series with other models, for example a new Minx speaker with a larger BMR driver, like the one used in their Aero 3 model, which is 85mm (4")?
post #1913 of 1919 Old 07-05-2014, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's what many of us would like to know but have not found an answer to. Cambridge Audio, like most companies, tend to keep quite until they release news closer to the release date.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1914 of 1919 Old 07-06-2014, 04:08 AM

Lets hope that Cambridge Audio have something new for us in the near future. I think it would be very interesting with a Minx speaker based on a larger BMR driver on 85mm (4 "). But how would that sound compared with for example Minx min11/min21. Any strengths and weaknesses, advantages and disadvantages?
post #1915 of 1919 Old 07-06-2014, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Only the engineers know that. If it can be done, Cambridge Audio, if willing and depending on marketing conditions, will design one. You need to take into consideration where the market is heading now that Dolby Atmos has been announced with other new codecs sure to follow in the future. Since, they market the Minx satellite system as both two and multi-channel speakers, Cambridge Audio may very well be in the designing stages of a Atmos based Minx satellite. Though, we can only hope for one with larger drivers.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1916 of 1919 Old 07-06-2014, 06:12 PM

^ Guys,

Would not be surprised that CA makes a new Minx satellite that incorporates Atmos ceiling bounce driver at the top. I.e. one direct driver to the listening position and another driver that is aimed at the flat ceiling. Two separate wiring would be needed for this to be successful. Of course one can use multiple Minx speakers to achieve the same thing, but an all in one unit is a neat solution.

Pioneer is already announced such a unit and details can be found in the following AVS thread here: The OFFICIAL Pioneer Dolby Atmos Speaker Thread

Note that the speaker designer Andrew Jones (same guy who designs high end TAD speakers) is participating in the thread, which is really nice as some AVS members have asked interesting questions regarding design choice.

A shame CA designers does not participate as much in their speaker thread. They must be too busy counting their millions to care...

post #1917 of 1919 Old 07-06-2014, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 56
You're right about Mr. Jones, as he has been extraordinarily patient and generous with his time. He's clearly a designer who appreciates his audience.

Chris Walker, who represents more the business side, has also been very gracious and forthcoming.
post #1918 of 1919 Old 07-07-2014, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, I have been following the Pioneer Atmos Speaker Thread and have been enjoying taichi's contributions.

Funny you bring this up about combining two Minx satellite speakers for Atmos. I was thinking about this the other day.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1919 of 1919 Old 07-07-2014, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
You're right about Mr. Jones, as he has been extraordinarily patient and generous with his time. He's clearly a designer who appreciates his audience.

Chris Walker, who represents more the business side, has also been very gracious and forthcoming.

A very interesting read but I would not purchase their speakers. Too big for my room. Just for kicks, I would love to hear one of their upcoming Atmos speaker demos.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , Subwoofers , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page