Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 65 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
post #1921 of 1942 Unread 07-12-2014, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
hey guys

i would like a little advice here. few months ago i was looking for a couple of speakers to install at my ceiling behind me in order to get a 7.2 speaker setup. My ceiling is low (2m height) so i needed a speaker that would be small and good. this is how i got to Minx 11. Great little speakers. My setup right now is

Fronts : B&W 603 S2
Center : B&W LCR600 S3
Rear : B&W LM1
Back : Minx 11
Sub : SVS PB1000

i chose the Min 11 over the 21 because of the price.... i might have a chance to sell my Min 11 in order to get the Min 21, so i was wondering if i will get any noticeable difference.

The min 11 has 85db when the 21 has 87-88db (closer to 91 for my b&w) and i will get a 2-3db boost since i am running a 15meter cable in order to connect my back speakers to my avr.

The min 11 has 2 speakers which MIGHT give me better sound with the lower frequencies i am guessing,

and finally the height will stay the same. i am satisfied with my Minx 11 but if i have a chance to get a better performance in the same height, why not.

my questions is, is it worth it to upgrade?

thanks
Ted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 1942 Unread 07-12-2014, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeDeV View Post
hey guys

i would like a little advice here. few months ago i was looking for a couple of speakers to install at my ceiling behind me in order to get a 7.2 speaker setup. My ceiling is low (2m height) so i needed a speaker that would be small and good. this is how i got to Minx 11. Great little speakers. My setup right now is

Fronts : B&W 603 S2
Center : B&W LCR600 S3
Rear : B&W LM1
Back : Minx 11
Sub : SVS PB1000

i chose the Min 11 over the 21 because of the price.... i might have a chance to sell my Min 11 in order to get the Min 21, so i was wondering if i will get any noticeable difference.

The min 11 has 85db when the 21 has 87-88db (closer to 91 for my b&w) and i will get a 2-3db boost since i am running a 15meter cable in order to connect my back speakers to my avr.

The min 11 has 2 speakers which MIGHT give me better sound with the lower frequencies i am guessing,

and finally the height will stay the same. i am satisfied with my Minx 11 but if i have a chance to get a better performance in the same height, why not.

my questions is, is it worth it to upgrade?

thanks
Ted
Just curious, do you notice any timbral difference in the surrounds between the two speakers? I doubt there will be any substantial difference between the 11 and 21 if used in the rear; however, let's hear from the more experienced ones
post #1923 of 1942 Unread 07-12-2014, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximori View Post
Just curious, do you notice any timbral difference in the surrounds between the two speakers? I doubt there will be any substantial difference between the 11 and 21 if used in the rear; however, let's hear from the more experienced ones
when you say difference between two speakers...

you mean my B&W LM1 and the minx?

IF you know where to look you might just find a very small gap between them. but seriously this is if you are actually looking for it.
the minx have "opened" my surround sound. seriously. i don't see them as a new pair of speakers, but as an extension of my surrounds. when i installed them, the sound around me (left - right - behind - NOT front) became MUCH fuller. so much fuller. People say that speakers behind you are not really useful because you can't actually hear that much detail, but it is not about the detail. it is about the "rich" sound i got. these BMR speakers open up in your room. they actually make you think that there are more speakers giving you a surround sound when there aren't any.

I have explained the reasons why i am considering the 21s. My B&W are much better speakers for what they do yes and i love them because i have a history with them, but i love my min 11 too. I can't stop thinking that the 21s will give something more to my home cinema, but i need some opinions from people who had the 11s and the 21s. It all depends on the case i manage to sell my 11s.

God i would like a 9.2 receiver :-) at some point so that i could add front-heights too (not Minx)
post #1924 of 1942 Unread 07-12-2014, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
^ Yup that's what I meant. The reason i ask I'm planning to incorporate 4 minx11s for object-based on-ceiling speakers and some Paradigm MilleniaOnes as surround channel beds in an Atmos setup in a small room.

I found the Minx character to be more forward and direct while the MilOnes having better soundstage, hence getting the best of both worlds in one seamless sound package.
The timbral difference might cause an issue; however, may be mitigated by the overall surround experience.
post #1925 of 1942 Unread 07-12-2014, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
moomusic. Check out the installation guide. Did you not get one with your Minx purchase?

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/media/...1354017461.pdf

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1926 of 1942 Unread 07-12-2014, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

moomusic. btw, what is your source? Are you using a CD player, etc? Connect the L&R outputs from the source to the L&R input of the subwoofer. Then, connect the L&R outputs of the subwoofer to the L&R rca inputs of your amp.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1927 of 1942 Unread 07-12-2014, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

TeDeV. I would stick with the Min 11 for now. No big deal if used for surround duty.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1928 of 1942 Unread 07-13-2014, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post
moomusic. btw, what is your source? Are you using a CD player, etc? Connect the L&R outputs from the source to the L&R input of the subwoofer. Then, connect the L&R outputs of the subwoofer to the L&R rca inputs of your amp.
Thanks for your reply. I did get a manual but it's not clear whether the inputs on the X200 are line-in or speaker-in and where to connect the satellites.

My source and amp are the Olive One, and I think the way it's supposed to be is: Connect rca line-out of the One to the line-in of the X200, connect l+r speaker out of the One to the satellites.
post #1929 of 1942 Unread 07-13-2014, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by moomusic View Post
Hi everyone

I just got a Minx 212 system, and (as a complete noob), am at a loss on how to connect these.

My amplifier has both a line out and one set of right/left speaker connectors. They can both be used at the same time. The amp has no LFE or sub out.
moonmusic,

What type of amp have you got? The Minx 212 system is a satellite + sub speaker system so that implies bass management up stream.

Normally your up-stream source has LFE output (single RCA connector) that goes to your X200 sub. This is for the low bass frequencies.

The same upstream source would have line outs (power terminals) that has anything above the bass frequencies sent to the satellites.

You might want to consider a simple receiver that has this feature + other nice things. The Yamaha RX-V375 is a nice start and can be found here at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V375...amaha+receiver

Don't forget to call AVS for a price comparison.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #1930 of 1942 Unread 07-13-2014, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My source and amp are the Olive One, and I think the way it's supposed to be is: Connect rca line-out of the One to the line-in of the X200, connect l+r speaker out of the One to the satellites.
The X200 has a built-in crossover for both sub (low pass) and satellite(s) (high pass). Normally, you would follow my instructions above to guarantee that your speakers are only receiving the filtered frequencies. You wouldn't want to blow a driver by sending it the full frequency spectrum. If all else fails, use Steve's advice and get a two-channel or A/V receiver to use it's bass management capabilities.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1931 of 1942 Unread 07-13-2014, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I went to look at the specs on your Olive One. It looks like it has it's own amps and is designed to use full-range speakers. So, I would pair it with a speaker that would be more capable than the tiny Minx satellite.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1932 of 1942 Unread 07-13-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I went to look at the specs on your Olive One. It looks like it has it's own amps and is designed to use full-range speakers. So, I would pair it with a speaker that would be more capable than the tiny Minx satellite.
Uhm, kind of too late, I already bought the Minx. Do I have any options to keep using them with the One?
post #1933 of 1942 Unread 07-13-2014, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You should have purchased the single cabinet full-range stereo speaker designed specifically for the Olive ONE. Now you have three paper weight speakers.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1934 of 1942 Unread 07-13-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
You should have purchased the single cabinet full-range stereo speaker designed specifically for the Olive ONE. Now you have three paper weight speakers.
Don't forget the Olive ONE, which with the current state of its firmware, pretty much counts as a paperweight as well!

But of course, I figured out the solution myself by now. Since the X200 sub already has the crossover, what I need is another amp to drive the satellites. Kind of what has been suggested here all along, just took me a while to grasp it.

Thanks guys, I am hunting for that small form factor amp that can be hidden under the couch now.
Perpendicular likes this.
post #1935 of 1942 Unread 07-13-2014, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Don't forget the Olive ONE, which with the current state of its firmware, pretty much counts as a paperweight as well!
Time to retire (or put to good use in another room) the previous generation amp. Modern integrated amps/receivers have come along way with an abundance of features. The most significant is room equalization with timing and level settings.

Quote:
Thanks guys, I am hunting for that small form factor amp that can be hidden under the couch now.
If you're okay with 2nd hand gear, Audiogon has some great deals such as this: http://app.audiogon.com/listings/mul...9363-oxford-pa

Might want to hurry on that deal.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #1936 of 1942 Unread 07-27-2014, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just read this on Cambridge Audios Facebook page.

Quote: "Let's just say we've got a few things up our sleeve...find out more in the next few months!"
https://www.facebook.com/cambridgeaudio

Lets hope that one or some of those things are new minx speakers.
post #1937 of 1942 Unread 08-01-2014, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, if they are up their sleeve, let's not hope it isn't any smaller than the Min 11.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1938 of 1942 Unread 08-01-2014, 12:37 PM

Liked: 46
heh,

So Perp, you going to do Atmos?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1939 of 1942 Unread 08-02-2014, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well.....after spending weeks reading about it...probably not. I'll wait to see what DTS brings to the table.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1940 of 1942 Unread 08-10-2014, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Well, if they are up their sleeve, let's not hope it isn't any smaller than the Min 11.
Funny Jeffrey!
Sounds interesting though.
post #1941 of 1942 Unread 08-10-2014, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

^Wonder if the directivity of the new Minx speakers matches Dolby Atmos specs. If so, then Onkyo is going to have some competition coming along for their top firing speakers: http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/mod...urce=prodClass

Edit: recent info says that there is a HRTF built into all Dolby enabled up firing speakers. So the Minx would only be useful as top mounted ceiling speakers.

Last edited by steveting99; Today at 06:58 AM. Reason: additional text for clarification
post #1942 of 1942 Unread Today, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Just picked up 4 Minx 11s to use as Atmos height speakers. Not really sure what to expect as I know they will probably sound nothing like my Martin Logans so I am hoping Audyssey can correct some of that.

The Cave: Sony VPL-VW600ES, 110" Elite Fixed, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV 3, Marantz SR-7009, 3 x Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 , 4 x Emotiva XPA-1L, MartinLogan Motion 60XT, MartinLogan Motion 50XT, 4 x MartinLogan MotionFX, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP, 4 x Cambridge Minx 11
Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , Subwoofers , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each

User Tag List