Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 66 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1951 of 1962 Old 09-17-2014, 06:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Thanks steveting99. That is exactly my intended use of the Minx 11. Looking at the radiator design led me to believe it would be a wide dispersion driver. The speakers arrived today and I got the top front installed. Unfortunately, Amazon jacked up the delivery of the second set of mounting brackets so I have to wait until tomorrow to mount the top rear. Looking forward to the end result.

The Cave: Sony VPL-VW600ES, 110" Elite Fixed, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV 3, Marantz SR-7009, 3 x Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 , 4 x Emotiva XPA-1L, MartinLogan Motion 60XT, MartinLogan Motion 50XT, 4 x MartinLogan MotionFX, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP, 4 x Gallo Nucleus Micro (Atmos Height)
Balthazar2k4 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1952 of 1962 Old 09-18-2014, 02:19 AM
Member
 
TeDeV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i thought that the front ceiling speakers were supposed to be near the fronts... not near the couch (like Front-Heights).

sure thing is that IF i ever consider (too expensive) Atmos for my space, i can't have that configuration... since my Surround backs are on the ceiling. My room is almost 2 meters high, and the surround backs are 1,5 m behind my couch.
TeDeV is offline  
post #1953 of 1962 Old 09-18-2014, 03:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 710
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeDeV View Post
i thought that the front ceiling speakers were supposed to be near the fronts... not near the couch (like Front-Heights)....
No.

Look at the Dolby Atmos home theater installation guide. There are a number of Amtos configurations available, the most basic is 5.1.2 which has the ceiling speakers to the side of the Main Listening Position. See figure 8 below.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TeDeV View Post
...sure thing is that IF i ever consider (too expensive) Atmos for my space, i can't have that configuration... since my Surround backs are on the ceiling. My room is almost 2 meters high, and the surround backs are 1,5 m behind my couch.
The important take away is achieving the angles as suggested in the installation guide. Dolby recommends that main channels are at ear height. With your room being such a short floor to ceiling height, the Atmos enabled modules are the most likely way - if you ever decide to try Atmos out. This assumes your ceiling is flat and reflective.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
steveting99 is online now  
post #1954 of 1962 Old 09-18-2014, 05:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I just realized this morning the one thing I wasn't really thinking about when I decided to purchase the Minx 11 for my Atmos height speakers: sensitivity. I now have an 8db gap between my ML Motion 60XTs and the Minx 11. Very curious to see how the Marantz handles that.

The Cave: Sony VPL-VW600ES, 110" Elite Fixed, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV 3, Marantz SR-7009, 3 x Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 , 4 x Emotiva XPA-1L, MartinLogan Motion 60XT, MartinLogan Motion 50XT, 4 x MartinLogan MotionFX, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP, 4 x Gallo Nucleus Micro (Atmos Height)
Balthazar2k4 is offline  
post #1955 of 1962 Old 09-18-2014, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 710
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
I just realized this morning the one thing I wasn't really thinking about when I decided to purchase the Minx 11 for my Atmos height speakers: sensitivity. I now have an 8db gap between my ML Motion 60XTs and the Minx 11. Very curious to see how the Marantz handles that.
Run Audyssey setup, it will set the correct levels and distances for each speaker.This based on where your Main Listening Position is at and each speaker achieving 75dB in the room.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
steveting99 is online now  
post #1956 of 1962 Old 09-18-2014, 05:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Run Audyssey setup, it will set the correct levels and distances for each speaker.This based on where your Main Listening Position is at and each speaker achieving 75dB in the room.
That is my plan. I have ordered a set of Gallo Nucleus Micros as well for comparison. They are a slightly bigger driver, more sensitive, and a known quantity to me as I have heard systems using them. They just happen to be more expensive, but they are on sale right now with their mounting bracket so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to evaluate them for Atmos duty.

The Cave: Sony VPL-VW600ES, 110" Elite Fixed, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV 3, Marantz SR-7009, 3 x Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 , 4 x Emotiva XPA-1L, MartinLogan Motion 60XT, MartinLogan Motion 50XT, 4 x MartinLogan MotionFX, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP, 4 x Gallo Nucleus Micro (Atmos Height)
Balthazar2k4 is offline  
post #1957 of 1962 Old 09-18-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tractng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Since I am going to upgrade to a new AVR, I might buy a pair of Cambridge C46 ceiling speakers (for Atmos) to incorporate into my existing:


Current setup is 5.1

Fronts/Center - Kef LS50
Rear - Minx 11
tractng is offline  
post #1958 of 1962 Old 09-18-2014, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 710
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post
Since I am going to upgrade to a new AVR, I might buy a pair of Cambridge C46 ceiling speakers (for Atmos) to incorporate into my existing:


Current setup is 5.1

Fronts/Center - Kef LS50
Rear - Minx 11
tractng,

You might want to consider the KEF E301 for the surround duty to match with the LS50. When I contacted KEF about timbre matching the LS50 with the E301, the reply was positive.

You then have the main channels at ear height as per the Dolby Atmos recommendation.

That leaves the Atmos ceiling height speakers which the existing Min11 can be used for. The Min11 are light weight and with the wall bracket should be easy to mount on the ceiling.

Just a thought.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
steveting99 is online now  
post #1959 of 1962 Old 09-18-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tractng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
tractng,

You might want to consider the KEF E301 for the surround duty to match with the LS50. When I contacted KEF about timbre matching the LS50 with the E301, the reply was positive.

You then have the main channels at ear height as per the Dolby Atmos recommendation.

That leaves the Atmos ceiling height speakers which the existing Min11 can be used for. The Min11 are light weight and with the wall bracket should be easy to mount on the ceiling.

Just a thought.
You mentioned that a while back too . I bought the E301 but dam it is too large for my taste to be hanging on walls (I used to have HSU bookshelf on the wall but things have changed, need to balance the look). I have an opened box for sale. The E301 sound is incredible and clean but I can't seem to fit in nicely in the living room.
tractng is offline  
post #1960 of 1962 Old 09-18-2014, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 710
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post
You mentioned that a while back too . I bought the E301 but dam it is too large for my taste to be hanging on walls (I used to have HSU bookshelf on the wall but things have changed, need to balance the look). I have an opened box for sale. The E301 sound is incredible and clean but I can't seem to fit in nicely in the living room.
tractng,

If you don't like hanging off the wall, might be interested in the stands for the E301. The stands will make them ear height and getting the right angles as per Dolby's Atmos recommendation is easy.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
steveting99 is online now  
post #1961 of 1962 Old 09-21-2014, 08:23 AM
Newbie
 
stefimke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for a sub to complete my Minx21 surround setup. Usage 90% for movies/tv-shows, rest music (rock/pop). I've neighbours and small kids, so I don't want boomy stuff, looking for nice tight controlled bass. Placement of sub is in a corner, tile foor, right next to a sofa. I know ported subs will probably go deeper and or will be more present in movies, but I hope a sealed sub is easier to place without getting boomy right next to the sofa? Size-wise ~35cm*35cm*35cm is the max I will go.

In doubt between CA Minx X300, X500 (if I can get one, seems discontinued (why?)), or SVS SB-1000. Prices here are X300=€600, X500=€800 and SB-1000=€500. So spec-wise the SB-1000 seems to be the biggest bang for the buck, but I'm reading some reviews saying the SB1000 is not delivering much oomph for movies...

Opinions?

Last edited by stefimke; 09-21-2014 at 11:39 AM.
stefimke is offline  
post #1962 of 1962 Old 09-21-2014, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 710
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefimke View Post
Looking for a sub to complete my Minx21 surround setup. Usage 90% for movies/tv-shows, rest music (rock/pop). I've neighbours and small kids, so I don't want boomy stuff, looking for nice tight controlled bass. Placement of sub is in a corner, tile foor, right next to a sofa. I know ported subs will probably go deeper and or will be more present in movies, but I hope a sealed sub is easier to place without getting boomy right next to the sofa? Size-wise ~35cm*35cm*35cm is the max I will go.

In doubt between CA Minx X300, X500 (if I can get one, seems discontinued (why?)), or SVS SB-1000. Prices here are X300=€600, X500=€800 and SB-1000=€500. So spec-wise the SB-1000 seems to be the biggest bang for the buck, but I'm reading some reviews saying the SB1000 is not delivering much oomph for movies...

Opinions?
Have a look at the roll off at the top end of the sub as it will indicate how high the crossover can go. The higher the better.

Since you're interested in a certain sized sub, you might be interested in the Rythmik F12 here: http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12.html and there is a thread for the Rythmik subs here in AVS: Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread

I have the Rythmik F12G (the paper cone version vs. the aluminium on the F12) and it matches very well with the KEF E301 satellites.

PSA have their XS15se (a little big for your requirement): http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/xs15se

Reaction Audio BPS212 looks nice and is competitively priced here: http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/...ered-subwoofer

You might also want look at HSU and ask in the thread.

SVS SB2000 is another good option.

Note that a single sub would not deal with room modes and provide a smooth bass across a large sweet spot. I've found out the hard way that only multiple subs can adequately deal with this problem.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
steveting99 is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , Subwoofers , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off