Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 67 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
post #1981 of 2007 Old 11-27-2014, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks - catherdral ceilings 20 feet high.
TV on solid wall - 20 feet from viewing area.
seating area has open space - 6x12 into kitchen - behind where the sofa is
satellite rear speakers are above the sofa - open area to kitchen
the cathedral ceiling opens to upstairs.

Sorry - no drawing tool :-( but the bose don't do a bad job in my opinion either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2007 Old 11-27-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardman1 View Post
Thanks - catherdral ceilings 20 feet high.
TV on solid wall - 20 feet from viewing area.
seating area has open space - 6x12 into kitchen - behind where the sofa is
satellite rear speakers are above the sofa - open area to kitchen
the cathedral ceiling opens to upstairs.

Sorry - no drawing tool :-( but the bose don't do a bad job in my opinion either.
Hi wardman1,

Help me understand the distance between you and the Min speakers - is this going to be 20'? I.e. to the left and right side of the TV, which is 20' away from the sofa?

If you look at post number 1953, you'll see a typical 5.1 layout of where the speakers are relative to the TV and sofa. You'll see that the front left, front right and the listening position makes a equilateral triangle. Are you able to achieve this? If not, what would the angle be? The issue is the stereo separation between between the front left and front right. The imaging will be narrow/compressed if the angles goes less than 22 deg. If the distance between the front left and front right is say 6' (maybe less if you have them at the edge of the TV) and sitting 20' away from the TV, the angle works out to be less than 9 deg.

Are you able to move the sofa up to improve the angles and stereo separation?

Looking at power requirements and based on Min11 sensitivity number of 85dB/W/m, to reach reference level of 105dB peak at the listening position requires about 500W! That's far more than what that manufacturer says the speaker can handle. It is also far more than what the Marantz NR1504 or Yamaha RX-S600 can output.

You have number options.
  1. If sticking with Cambridge Audio Min series of speakers, you'll have to limit the power output to prevent clipping and damaging the speakers. With the receivers you have in mind, that means at least -10dB (probably -15dB) from reference level.
  2. Go with a higher sensitive speakers in the 95dB/W/m+ range. Generally these are horn type from Klipsch, etc.
  3. Sit closer the to the speakers and reduce the distance between them to the listening position. This also improve stereo imaging.

The room volume is only important if you want bass to fill out the lower 2.5 to 3 octaves that the Min12 cannot reproduce. This would require multiple subs due to your room volume being on the large side and the high crossover frequency requirement by the Min12.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #1983 of 2007 Old 11-27-2014, 08:28 PM

Appreciate the detail and info!

The TV will be 20' from the sofa. The front speakers can be next to or further away form the tv on left and right but at listening level, I can direct the front L/R speakers to the center of the sofa to achieve the triangle like in the diagram.
The L/R rear speakers will be above, not in a ceiling but on the wall, and mounted to project sound down to those on the sofa. I cannot move the sofa.

Does this help. Looking for quality loud sound out of a stereo format and good surround for sports and movies.
post #1984 of 2007 Old 11-27-2014, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Appreciate the detail and info!

The TV will be 20' from the sofa. The front speakers can be next to or further away form the tv on left and right but at listening level, I can direct the front L/R speakers to the center of the sofa to achieve the triangle like in the diagram.
The L/R rear speakers will be above, not in a ceiling but on the wall, and mounted to project sound down to those on the sofa. I cannot move the sofa.

Does this help. Looking for quality loud sound out of a stereo format and good surround for sports and movies.
Since the sofa cannot be moved, assuming the TV is at the center where you are sitting on the sofa and this is 20' away, then you're limited to the two options given in the previous post. Which of the option 1 or 2 appeal to you?

With the listening position being 20' from the TV, how far apart (the horizontal distance) the front left and front right speakers can go? For the minimum 22 deg angle from the sofa to the TV, a horizontal distance between the front left and right speakers needs to be 16.2' - are you able to achieve this?

If you put the front left and front right speaker next to the TV, what would the horizontal distance between them be?

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #1985 of 2007 Old 11-28-2014, 08:29 AM

I can make the front L/R speakers 6 feet to 12 feet apart with the TV in the center.

Either 1 or 2 are good to me. Still interested in smallest speaker, optimal sound, with Marantz tuner (which it looks like you have as well). I looked at the cone type speakers (Klipsch HD Theater 600) that you might have been referring to. Or does the Energy fit into this group of offerings?
post #1986 of 2007 Old 11-30-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I can make the front L/R speakers 6 feet to 12 feet apart with the TV in the center.

Either 1 or 2 are good to me. Still interested in smallest speaker, optimal sound, with Marantz tuner (which it looks like you have as well). I looked at the cone type speakers (Klipsch HD Theater 600) that you might have been referring to. Or does the Energy fit into this group of offerings?
Not sure which Energy speaker you are referring to? Would it be the V-mini? The V-mini has a much higher sensitivity of 90dB/W/m compared to the Min11 which is at 85dB/W/m. That 5dB/W/m difference is significant for power requirement. A 3dB/W/m difference is doubling the power requirements. Note that the Energy V-mini speaker is much larger than the Min11. If you're okay with the larger Energy sized speaker, look into the Min21 as an alternative.

With your seating distance of 20 feet away from the speakers, have the front left and right speakers as wide as possible to get stereo separation. 12 feet apart is better than 6 feet. Are you also considering a center channel? If you're getting the same set for the front left, center and right speakers, a timber matched set will help in setting up the front sound stage.

For small sized speakers, there are few that could compete with Min11/21 series. Unless you're interested in high end expensive units such as Anthony Gallo Strada 2 (90dB/W/m) or Micro (89dB/W/m) series of speakers.

As a cost effective alternative, might want to consider the Ascend Acoustics HTM-200 which have good sensitivity rating of 89dB/W/m in the room. Or the HSU HB-1 MK2 Horn Bookshelf Speaker which have an even better 92dB/W/m sensitivity.

Due to your room layout, seating position and distance, it will be very difficult to get optimal sound. You're starting from a compromised position and will be fighting an up-hill battle to improve sound quality.

post #1987 of 2007 Old 12-02-2014, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If one would like to get a "large" centerspeaker to match with Minx Min speakers on all other positions, what would I buy?
post #1988 of 2007 Old 12-02-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiklasK View Post
If one would like to get a "large" centerspeaker to match with Minx Min speakers on all other positions, what would I buy?
NiklasK,

Might want to try out the Cambridge Audio Aeromax 2 bookshelf speaker here: http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/produc...kers/aeromax-2

Has the same BMR driver.

post #1989 of 2007 Old 12-03-2014, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How about the Aero 5 center? Is it the same type of elements/drivers as well?

Some are saying that you would need a decent AVR with a bit power to play the Minx. Would the Denon AVR-X1100 or X2100 be enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
NiklasK,

Might want to try out the Cambridge Audio Aeromax 2 bookshelf speaker here.

Has the same BMR driver.
post #1990 of 2007 Old 12-03-2014, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiklasK View Post
How about the Aero 5 center? Is it the same type of elements/drivers as well?

Some are saying that you would need a decent AVR with a bit power to play the Minx. Would the Denon AVR-X1100 or X2100 be enough?
One idea you might want to consider is having the front sound stage consisting of the Aero speakers and re-position the Min for the surrounds or height speakers. This way you can have a better front sound stage and utilize your existing Min speakers.

Modern AVR such as the Denon X1100/X2100 will support 7.1 + heights or wides speaker configuration via Audyssey DSX and DTS Neo:X for surround expansion alternatives to traditional 7.1. There's a dedicated thread for the X1100/X2100 here: The 'Official' 2014 Denon "S Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

The question is if your room can take this many speakers with the correct angles as per the layout recommendations.

Regarding power requirements of the receiver, it very much depends on how loud you like to listen at, how sensitive the speakers are, where the speakers are placed relative to the room walls and the distance between the speakers to where you sit. Where you sit is commonly referred to as the Main Listening Position (MLP).

Dealing with bass frequencies in your room is also another complicated issue. But the general goal is to obtain a smooth response at the MLP and minimize seat to seat variance.

There are a few options to think about.

post #1991 of 2007 Old 12-03-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Not sure which Energy speaker you are referring to? Would it be the V-mini? The V-mini has a much higher sensitivity of 90dB/W/m compared to the Min11 which is at 85dB/W/m. That 5dB/W/m difference is significant for power requirement. A 3dB/W/m difference is doubling the power requirements. Note that the Energy V-mini speaker is much larger than the Min11. If you're okay with the larger Energy sized speaker, look into the Min21 as an alternative.

With your seating distance of 20 feet away from the speakers, have the front left and right speakers as wide as possible to get stereo separation. 12 feet apart is better than 6 feet. Are you also considering a center channel? If you're getting the same set for the front left, center and right speakers, a timber matched set will help in setting up the front sound stage.

For small sized speakers, there are few that could compete with Min11/21 series. Unless you're interested in high end expensive units such as Anthony Gallo Strada 2 (90dB/W/m) or Micro (89dB/W/m) series of speakers.

As a cost effective alternative, might want to consider the Ascend Acoustics HTM-200 which have good sensitivity rating of 89dB/W/m in the room. Or the HSU HB-1 MK2 Horn Bookshelf Speaker which have an even better 92dB/W/m sensitivity.

Due to your room layout, seating position and distance, it will be very difficult to get optimal sound. You're starting from a compromised position and will be fighting an up-hill battle to improve sound quality.
Thanks - still contemplating speakers. Marantz is confirmed though. I was looking at the Energy CR-10 for rears. The v-mini may also work. Energy owned by Klipsch I think I heard too. Still liking the Cambridge, just no where to hear them around me.
post #1992 of 2007 Old 12-07-2014, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hi! I have an issue similar to the current discussion. One of my wife-approved 5.1 systems would be 3 min21's across the front, 2 c46 ceiling speakers for the rears, and an appropriate sub. The living room and kitchen are open, forming a 27' by 27' room with 13' ceilings. The front speakers and tv will be in an entertainment center. The L and R will be 10 ft apart, and our ears will be 11' from the tv. Will I be able to achieve reasonable sound levels? If so, what power should I be looking at for the AVR? Thanks in advance.

I should mention that the wife's second choice is 3 KEF Q100's across the front, 2 Q series ceiling speakers for the rears, and again, an appropriate sub. Would this be a superior set-up?

Dialog clarity is a premium.
post #1993 of 2007 Old 12-07-2014, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minxmin View Post
Hi! I have an issue similar to the current discussion. One of my wife-approved 5.1 systems would be 3 min21's across the front, 2 c46 ceiling speakers for the rears, and an appropriate sub. The living room and kitchen are open, forming a 27' by 27' room with 13' ceilings. The front speakers and tv will be in an entertainment center. The L and R will be 10 ft apart, and our ears will be 11' from the tv. Will I be able to achieve reasonable sound levels? If so, what power should I be looking at for the AVR? Thanks in advance.

I should mention that the wife's second choice is 3 KEF Q100's across the front, 2 Q series ceiling speakers for the rears, and again, an appropriate sub. Would this be a superior set-up?

minxmin,

Welcome to AVS!

The CA Min21 are more lifestyle speakers and has high Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF). The KEF Q100 are more traditional bookshelf speakers that are appealing to men, but may not be wife friendly. I.e low WAF.

Thus KEF Q100's are very different to the CA Min21. The size difference alone should indicate this. There is a huge difference in low end frequency response of the Q100 (49Hz) vs. the Min21 (120Hz). The lower end frequency response of the Q100 will sound better in PURE DIRECT mode offered in most modern receivers and will give more flexibility for the crossover to sub(s). Also to note that the sound signature between KEF and CA are also very different.

The speaker sensitivity between the Q100 (86dB/W/m) and Min21 (87dB/W/m) are about the same and wouldn't make that much a difference in the SPL calculations here: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html. The issue is more on placement.

Do you plan to mount the Q100 on stands and away from the walls? If so, how are away from the walls will they be?

For the Min21, do you plan to place them on the wall and thus get some boundary gain? This will help the Min21 go a little bit lower at the expense of Speaker Boundary Interference Effects (SBIE).

Last edited by steveting99; 12-07-2014 at 10:18 PM. Reason: greeting added
post #1994 of 2007 Old 12-08-2014, 08:15 AM

Thanks for your help. The speakers will be in a large wood home entertainment center that will have the tv in the middle. The speakers will be placed at the very front of the spaces in the entertainment center. I'm trying to achieve 3 identical fronts at the same height off the floor. So either 3 min21's or 3 Q100's (the center will be on it's side) will fit the bill.

If I'm reading correctly, you're saying that, even with a perfectly matched sub, the min's are an aesthetic compromise that won't match the SQ of the Q100's.
post #1995 of 2007 Old 12-08-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry missed out regarding dialog clarity. The center speaker will help tremendously in getting clear dialog - particularly in movie soundtracks where there is a dedicated center channel. Even for two channel music, one can use up-mixing algorithms (such as DTS NEO:X) which will utilize the center speaker. The important thing is to point the center speaker towards the MLP, to the ears and minimize SBIE.

I did a quick calculation based on the Min21 using your MLP distance of 11'. For 2-channel listening, the peak power requirement is:
(a) 355W if the speakers are well away from the walls;
(b) 180W if the speakers are 2' to 4' away from the wall; and
(c) If the speakers are corner loaded (i.e. in room corners or less than 2' from the wall), the peak power demand drops to just 90W.

As you can see, there's a big difference in power demand just based on where the speakers are placed. Two of the placements (a) and (b) means getting external amps to meet additional power requirements, while the last placement means any modern receiver can easily drive the speakers to reference level.

Quote:
Thanks for your help. The speakers will be in a large wood home entertainment center that will have the tv in the middle. The speakers will be placed at the very front of the spaces in the entertainment center. I'm trying to achieve 3 identical fronts at the same height off the floor. So either 3 min21's or 3 Q100's (the center will be on it's side) will fit the bill.

If I'm reading correctly, you're saying that, even with a perfectly matched sub, the min's are an aesthetic compromise that won't match the SQ of the Q100's.
minxmin,

A little bit concerned of having the speakers in the spaces of the entertainment center. The affect of having 5 sides surrounding the speaker will add distortion and coloration to the sound. It's bad enough having to deal with walls, floors and ceiling. This is called SBIE. Having the speakers enclosed within another box is simply asking for trouble.

The same affect can be demonstrated by putting both hands cupped around one's mouth while speaking vs. not having cupped hands. The sound is different and unnatural. Basically it will sound bad. Speakers are meant to be in a free field listening environment.

Do you have a sketch of where you want to put the speakers? A room layout sketch would be useful.

The KEF Q100 are the better speakers because:
(1) It has bigger drivers and can reproduce an octave more frequencies than the Min21;
(2) Will be able to crossover to subs better as the magically THX recommendation of 80Hz can be reached; and
(3) One can locate the KEF Q100 to give the best sound stage or stereo imaging and place the sub(s) to get the best bass response due to item (2).

post #1996 of 2007 Old 12-09-2014, 11:08 AM

Nuts. The my reply didn't work, because I'm not allowed to post links yet. So I'll try again.

Here's a typical WAF entertainment center: Go to the wayfair website and look at Hillsdale Grand Bay 95.

Thanks for pointing out that it would be better to not have the speakers in the cabinet, but I won't win that battle. So to try to avoid any issues with that, I'm only looking at front ported or enclosed speakers. I also want to avoid any weird wave interference problems across the front by having 3 identical speakers. The center will be on the same shelf as the tv stand, and the LR will be at the same level as the center. This limits me to very small speakers, or speakers that will not change SQ on their side.

The Q100 and Q300 both have lower sensitivity than the new min22. They also cannot handle as much power as the min22. Add to that, the KEF speakers would be required to handle more mid bass duty. We never want theater volumes in our house. But I'm concerned that both systems may be strained.

I understand that the sub's crossover will have to be much higher with the min22's. I'd most likely end up having a different sub depending on which mains I get. But with a perfectly matched system, I'm guessing the SQ of the KEF based system, including dialog clarity and music, would be much better than the min22 system. Would that be fair to say?
post #1997 of 2007 Old 12-09-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nuts. The my reply didn't work, because I'm not allowed to post links yet. So I'll try again.

Here's a typical WAF entertainment center: Go to the wayfair website and look at Hillsdale Grand Bay 95.

Thanks for pointing out that it would be better to not have the speakers in the cabinet, but I won't win that battle. So to try to avoid any issues with that, I'm only looking at front ported or enclosed speakers. I also want to avoid any weird wave interference problems across the front by having 3 identical speakers. The center will be on the same shelf as the tv stand, and the LR will be at the same level as the center. This limits me to very small speakers, or speakers that will not change SQ on their side...
Is this the Hillsdale Grand Bay 95 entertainment cabinet you're looking at?

Had a look at your entertainment cabinet. I assume the space above the TV is where the center speaker is going. The areas to the left and right of the TV are with adjustable shelving. These are the areas where the front left, center and front right speakers are going?

Place the speakers on adjustable isolation mounts/standds that will allow the speaker to tilt. The purpose is to point the tweeters towards the MLP and the ears. The isolation mounts will also absorb some of the 1st reflections within the enclosed space. You might be interested in something like the Aurelex MonoPad which I'm currently using for the center speaker and satisfied with it's performance.

Be sure to 'pull' the speakers forward of the entertainment cabinet so that the edge of the speaker baffle is sitting in front of the edge of the entertainment cabinet.

Quote:
...The Q100 and Q300 both have lower sensitivity than the new min22. They also cannot handle as much power as the min22. Add to that, the KEF speakers would be required to handle more mid bass duty. We never want theater volumes in our house. But I'm concerned that both systems may be strained.

I understand that the sub's crossover will have to be much higher with the min22's. I'd most likely end up having a different sub depending on which mains I get. But with a perfectly matched system, I'm guessing the SQ of the KEF based system, including dialog clarity and music, would be much better than the min22 system. Would that be fair to say?
Did you have a look at the power calculations done to reach peak reference level? Based on your setup, it's around 90W. This is within the specification of either the KEF or CA speakers.

It would be better to have identical subs. This is because the frequency response of identical subs are the same and trying to obtain a smooth bass response at the MLP will be hard enough as it is with two identical subs. Why make life harder by getting two different subs?

Sub options are more and integration a bit easier with the KEF than with CA speakers you're looking at.

post #1998 of 2007 Old 12-10-2014, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
3rd Generation: MIN12 & MIN22

Hi All,

I Originally came across this thread when I first purchased a set of MIN10's. I'm now thinking of purchasing some more for another room, and have just found that a third generation version is now available: The MIN12 and MIN22!

As I've only just registered, I can't post any links, but you can find the on the Cambridge Audio site as well as Richer Sounds here in the UK.

Quote from Richer Sounds
"The new BMR drive unit uses a larger magnet for improved efficiency. Driver excursion has increased from 2.2mm to 4mm, giving enhanced lower-midrange for improved integration with a subwoofer. Finally, the fourth generation BMR unit has superior uniformity of movement, meaning a more accurate sound, right across the frequency response."

The UK price for the MIN12 is £69.95, which is £10 more than the MIN11, which was £10 more than the original MIN10.

Cambridge Audio also have a MINX C46, which appears to be an ceiling installed version of the MIX12 or MIN11:

"The C46 uses a single 2.25” BMR driver to seamlessly cover the entire frequency range from 120Hz to 20kHz.
Our proprietary Balanced Mode Radiator speaker design provides unrivalled sound dispersion and across the board frequency response, by combining ‘bending wave’ and pistonic movements.
Add to this the C46s flexible installation options, being small enough to fit in a standard 3” ceiling spotlight hole, and you can see why it’s one of our most popular products!"
post #1999 of 2007 Old 12-10-2014, 08:53 AM

Yes. Only the min12 and min22 have been on their site for a few weeks now. The min22's across the front and 2 c46 rears in the ceiling is the set-up I am considering.

I guess I was unclear with my 2 choices. Each of the 2 choices would only have 1 sub. But since the 2 systems would have to have a completely different crossover, I would choose the sub based on what mains I get.

So I still have the same question about these 2 WAF systems: Will the KEF system be much better than the min22 system?

1: 3 min22's across the front, 2 C46 ceiling speakers for the rears, and 1 sub that is well matched to the min22's

2: 3 KEF Q100's across the front, 2 Q series ceiling speakers for the rears, and 1 sub that is well matched to the Q100's

In both cases, all 3 fronts will be in a straight horizontal line, at ear level, in a large home entertainment center. The 3 fronts will be placed as far forward in the cabinets as possible.
post #2000 of 2007 Old 12-10-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I guess I was unclear with my 2 choices. Each of the 2 choices would only have 1 sub. But since the 2 systems would have to have a completely different crossover, I would choose the sub based on what mains I get.

Best to go and have a listen to both sets of speakers in your local HiFi dealer. Bring along a CD with broadband pink noise and a handheld SPL meter.
Hopefully the dealer will have the same AVR as the one you've got at home. If not, be sure to hook up the same receiver to both sets of speakers. Set the AVR to DIRECT/PURE DIRECT or whatever mode that bypass any DSP.

Volume match each speaker set. Play the broadband pink noise CD and bring the volume up/down to your normal listening level using the SPL meter. You should be aiming for +/-0.5dB difference as most volume control is based on this.

Play some of your favorite tunes and take some notes. List the + and - for each tune based on each speaker set under test.

Review your notes at home and choose the one you like.

post #2001 of 2007 Old 12-10-2014, 08:33 PM

I hear ya. But there is no place that I can hear the mins. I'm going to have to depend on opinions of the folks on this thread. So, I hope I get a few.
post #2002 of 2007 Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 26
What is the frequency of the new minx 12 & 22? I have the minx11 as rear speakers and c46 on ceiling. Love these size speakers and they sound good. I have Kef LS50 as front.

I might just retire the Kef LS50 for the living room and add the new minx 22 for the fronts in our theatre area.
post #2003 of 2007 Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I hear ya. But there is no place that I can hear the mins. I'm going to have to depend on opinions of the folks on this thread. So, I hope I get a few.
minxmin,

Do a search through this thread as several posters have provided feedback comments on their Min10/20, Min11/21 speaker setup and review. Perpendicular has done a great job in providing a summary on the 1st post of this thread. Have a read of the reviews done by some professionals and see if it's suitable for your room and application.

Since the Min12/22 are very new, it will be a while before any reviews are done - if at all. Any changes between the latest version to previous generation are going to be subtle, so don't expect dramatic improvements in sound quality going forward. The room, speaker placement and where you sit will have a greater impact to sound quality than a revision up-grade to an existing speaker line.

post #2004 of 2007 Old Today, 10:00 AM

A very reliable source is suggesting that the min22 system will be too small for our big room. But, we don't listen to stuff at theater or music hall levels. The house won't be done for months. So I'm currently looking for a cheap used pair of any vintage minx mins. I'll resell them after a good listen.
post #2005 of 2007 Old Today, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
A very reliable source is suggesting that the min22 system will be too small for our big room. But, we don't listen to stuff at theater or music hall levels. The house won't be done for months. So I'm currently looking for a cheap used pair of any vintage minx mins. I'll resell them after a good listen.
I agree with your reliable source's assessment that the Min22 will sound small in your 27'x27'x13' room. The total volume works out to just under 9,500 cu. ft. That's an enormous room and you're asking a lot out of those small speakers to fill that volume. Most AVSers will recommend getting floor standers with higher sensitivity ratings.

If your room volume was somewhere in the region of 1,500 cu. ft., then the Min22 are more appropriate.

post #2006 of 2007 Unread Today, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Nah, for that space we recommend multiple subs, mids and highs are a matter of listening distance and 11' isn't that far. The Min's won't sound any "smaller" than they would in a more modest sized room. Also, bookshelves will work just as good as towers.

What you are missing out using "lifestyle" speakers compared with a more traditional bookshelf/tower are; they have the higher crossover point, reduced dynamics and usually imaging, and they top out at lower levels because the mid's just don't have an approriate enclosure or size.

If you can, get the 11/21 instead of the 10/20 as there is a difference between them, the x1's will sound more like the new x2's. But, it depends on the availability of the used market.
post #2007 of 2007 Unread Today, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

^ien2,

How many subs would it take to fill 9,500 cu. ft.? How large are the drivers? What is the -3dB roll off at the high end so that it can integrate well with the Min21? You'll find out that the larger the driver, the lower the -3dB roll off which means a possible 'hole' in the crossover integration with the Min21.

Is minxmin willing put these large sub boxes in the room that's going to be acceptable for minimizing room modes, but will upset the wife?

Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , Subwoofers , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page