Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 67 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1981 of 1984 Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks - catherdral ceilings 20 feet high.
TV on solid wall - 20 feet from viewing area.
seating area has open space - 6x12 into kitchen - behind where the sofa is
satellite rear speakers are above the sofa - open area to kitchen
the cathedral ceiling opens to upstairs.

Sorry - no drawing tool :-( but the bose don't do a bad job in my opinion either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 1984 Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardman1 View Post
Thanks - catherdral ceilings 20 feet high.
TV on solid wall - 20 feet from viewing area.
seating area has open space - 6x12 into kitchen - behind where the sofa is
satellite rear speakers are above the sofa - open area to kitchen
the cathedral ceiling opens to upstairs.

Sorry - no drawing tool :-( but the bose don't do a bad job in my opinion either.
Hi wardman1,

Help me understand the distance between you and the Min speakers - is this going to be 20'? I.e. to the left and right side of the TV, which is 20' away from the sofa?

If you look at post number 1953, you'll see a typical 5.1 layout of where the speakers are relative to the TV and sofa. You'll see that the front left, front right and the listening position makes a equilateral triangle. Are you able to achieve this? If not, what would the angle be? The issue is the stereo separation between between the front left and front right. The imaging will be narrow/compressed if the angles goes less than 22 deg. If the distance between the front left and front right is say 6' (maybe less if you have them at the edge of the TV) and sitting 20' away from the TV, the angle works out to be less than 9 deg.

Are you able to move the sofa up to improve the angles and stereo separation?

Looking at power requirements and based on Min11 sensitivity number of 85dB/W/m, to reach reference level of 105dB peak at the listening position requires about 500W! That's far more than what that manufacturer says the speaker can handle. It is also far more than what the Marantz NR1504 or Yamaha RX-S600 can output.

You have number options.
  1. If sticking with Cambridge Audio Min series of speakers, you'll have to limit the power output to prevent clipping and damaging the speakers. With the receivers you have in mind, that means at least -10dB (probably -15dB) from reference level.
  2. Go with a higher sensitive speakers in the 95dB/W/m+ range. Generally these are horn type from Klipsch, etc.
  3. Sit closer the to the speakers and reduce the distance between them to the listening position. This also improve stereo imaging.

The room volume is only important if you want bass to fill out the lower 2.5 to 3 octaves that the Min12 cannot reproduce. This would require multiple subs due to your room volume being on the large side and the high crossover frequency requirement by the Min12.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #1983 of 1984 Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Appreciate the detail and info!

The TV will be 20' from the sofa. The front speakers can be next to or further away form the tv on left and right but at listening level, I can direct the front L/R speakers to the center of the sofa to achieve the triangle like in the diagram.
The L/R rear speakers will be above, not in a ceiling but on the wall, and mounted to project sound down to those on the sofa. I cannot move the sofa.

Does this help. Looking for quality loud sound out of a stereo format and good surround for sports and movies.
post #1984 of 1984 Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardman1 View Post
Appreciate the detail and info!

The TV will be 20' from the sofa. The front speakers can be next to or further away form the tv on left and right but at listening level, I can direct the front L/R speakers to the center of the sofa to achieve the triangle like in the diagram.
The L/R rear speakers will be above, not in a ceiling but on the wall, and mounted to project sound down to those on the sofa. I cannot move the sofa.

Does this help. Looking for quality loud sound out of a stereo format and good surround for sports and movies.
Since the sofa cannot be moved, assuming the TV is at the center where you are sitting on the sofa and this is 20' away, then you're limited to the two options given in the previous post. Which of the option 1 or 2 appeal to you?

With the listening position being 20' from the TV, how far apart (the horizontal distance) the front left and front right speakers can go? For the minimum 22 deg angle from the sofa to the TV, a horizontal distance between the front left and right speakers needs to be 16.2' - are you able to achieve this?

If you put the front left and front right speaker next to the TV, what would the horizontal distance between them be?

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , Subwoofers , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page