Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 69 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-31-2015, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post
Looking good moriarty! I particularly like reading the exchange between you and Steve and he should be commended for taking his time for helping you. Keep up the good work and have fun!

I have been having big problems since I upgraded to larger powered monitors with the Emotiva Stealth 6. Because of room size and configuration, I went from using the Stealth 6 for my rear surround speakers to a pair of the Airmotiv 4s and both of those were too big and overpowering. Guess what? I'm back to using a pair of Min 21 for surround.
I need some small speakers for surround. Main speakers are Monitor Audio BX5 towers and BK Gemini2 sub. I have owned Minx Minx10 as rear speakers, but they sound too thin. Did you lose lot of information when going to smaller rear speakers? I think it would be optimal to put all speakers to small/80hz as THX recommends. I could buy Min22 for rear, but they don`t go lower than 120hz? There is lot of talk that you can benefit from larger rear speakers that go under 80hz easily. Opionions guys please!

I would be using 4.1 setup (phantom center, as my sweet spot is center and the distance between speakers arent that much. It really works good. I have owned center speakers, but now feels i don`t need one anymore. Smaller apartment also..)
Sure best bet would be using same manifacturers speakers, but... Monitor audio Radius 45 vs Minx Min22 would be the case. Price wise almost the same.. But i like the BMR element.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2015, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
If you like the BMR, why don't you use either the Aero 2 or the Aero 3? Or, get rid of the Monitor Audio's and do a complete Aero or Aeromax system.

My situation with using the Min 21 as surround duty is only a temporary thing. I plan on larger surrounds when I can find time to wall mount them because I have little room on the floor and it looks bad. I really don't think you should mix and match speaker brands / models but many people do and are happy.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Hifi View Post
I need some small speakers for surround. Main speakers are Monitor Audio BX5 towers and BK Gemini2 sub. I have owned Minx Minx10 as rear speakers, but they sound too thin. Did you lose lot of information when going to smaller rear speakers? I think it would be optimal to put all speakers to small/80hz as THX recommends. I could buy Min22 for rear, but they don`t go lower than 120hz? There is lot of talk that you can benefit from larger rear speakers that go under 80hz easily. Opionions guys please!

I would be using 4.1 setup (phantom center, as my sweet spot is center and the distance between speakers arent that much. It really works good. I have owned center speakers, but now feels i don`t need one anymore. Smaller apartment also..)
Sure best bet would be using same manifacturers speakers, but... Monitor audio Radius 45 vs Minx Min22 would be the case. Price wise almost the same.. But i like the BMR element.
Hi Mr_Hifi,

What are you using for your pre/pro/receiver for decoding of surround sound? Can it set separate crossover frequencies for the fronts and surrounds?

Since you don't have a center channel, the front left and front right will make a phantom center. Aka, the stereo trick. This is very dependent on the speaker setup, room, Main Listening Position (MLP) and how well the down mixing is on your pre/pro/receiver so that no information is lost.

Generally the surrounds have about 20% of the multi-channel soundtrack, but must be able to reproduce the full frequency bandwidth of 20Hz to 20kHz. Good panning from front to back of the sound field during action sequences are a good test of this. Modern pre/pro/receivers have excellent bass management that will ensure the 20Hz to 20kHz frequency band is reproduced on the surrounds, depending on how the Room Equalization (REQ) determined the F3 value in your room as well as what the speaker manufacturer recommends as it's F3 value.

Since most modern receivers have REQ to help address room issues. Which one do you use?

The reason your previous setup was sounding 'thin' could be due for a number of reasons. Basic question on speaker setup - is it as per post number 2,030?

If so, have you carried out the sub crawl test to determine a few good places for the sub in the room? Generally a number of good places indicate that more than one sub can go in the room and for the majority of people multiple subs are better than a single sub. Your room modes will can make 30dB to 40dB swings in the lower frequencies. A frequency sweep measurement between 15Hz to 300Hz will show this. Multiple subs will help smooth this out so that:
  1. you'll get a wider sweet spot;
  2. more headroom for your amp;
  3. minimize sub localization; and
  4. with the ability to have a higher crossover frequency.

What are your room dimensions? Front to back, side to side and floor to ceiling dimensions please.

Edit: Forgot to ask, how far away is the MLP from the speakers?

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G

Last edited by steveting99; 04-01-2015 at 06:02 AM. Reason: additional text for clarity
Old 04-07-2015, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi again Steve and Perpendicular. Thanks to your all comments. As I mentioned before I am about to complete all the default settings recommended by you in two weeks time. I am still expecting to receive the last minx 21 satellite. I think I will share the last auto setup results at that date (bad news from the local dealer about the delivery date ).

For the time being, the result is satisfactory but not perfect as I expected due to some resons you mentioned. Anyway, I will
keep you informed.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone has used the Aero 3 in front instead of minx 21 (4" BMR vs 2,5" BMR)?

Do you think its a good idea?

Aero 3 are the red line on the first SPL Graph.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aero3red.png
Views:	10
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	660538   Click image for larger version

Name:	minx.png
Views:	7
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	660546  
Old 04-11-2015, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by festuc View Post
Anyone has used the Aero 3 in front instead of minx 21 (4" BMR vs 2,5" BMR)?

Do you think its a good idea?

Aero 3 are the red line on the first SPL Graph.

Hi,

Funny you should ask this as over the last few days, I have also been wondering if the Aero's might be used at the front end instead & how well they might blend with the Min20/21 Satellite Surrounds...

Bazzy!
Old 04-11-2015, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I'd say that if you are looking at bookshelves, at that point you should get something with a more conventional tweeter. The Minx are fantastic for what you ask of them, but BMR's do have their problems above 6-7kHz.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ien2 View Post
I'd say that if you are looking at bookshelves, at that point you should get something with a more conventional tweeter. The Minx are fantastic for what you ask of them, but BMR's do have their problems above 6-7kHz.
Hi,

My concern is whether/which conventional speakers would work in harmony with the Min20/21 Satellites as I am pretty much committed to them for a number of reasons. Any L/C/R that you think might fit the bill that are not overly large & not rear ported?

Bazzy!
Old 04-11-2015, 12:55 PM

Because I have no space for central speaker, so 4.1; I'm considering something like the image to do a 5.1 and use the interior speakers of the AERO 3 connected in series for the central speaker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aero3.png
Views:	20
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	660874  
Old 04-11-2015, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Because I have no space for central speaker, so 4.1; I'm considering something like the image to do a 5.1 and use the interior speakers of the AERO 3 connected in series for the central speaker.
Hi festuc,

The angles works out to be under 16 deg from the Main Listening Position (MLP) to the front left and front right speaker.

This would make the sound stage a bit narrow. Possible to move the front left and front right out wider?

You can go with Min21 as small satellites for all front three speakers. These would be easy to install around the TV.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
Old 04-12-2015, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Hi festuc,

The angles works out to be under 16 deg from the Main Listening Position (MLP) to the front left and front right speaker.

This would make the sound stage a bit narrow. Possible to move the front left and front right out wider?

You can go with Min21 as small satellites for all front three speakers. These would be easy to install around the TV.
Thanks for the reply. It's imposible to put a minx in the center; I only have 2 cm free; all the other is wooden cabinet.

The L-R (4.1) are now at 115cm from the center; so if I'm not wrong it's 23º. Anyway the máximum posible will be 120 cm.

I'm very limited due to the space; it's in a small flat in the center of a big city.... so I just want to get a good sound and dialogues at low volume. BMR are pretty good because of they "room filling".
Old 04-12-2015, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. It's imposible to put a minx in the center; I only have 2 cm free; all the other is wooden cabinet.

The L-R (4.1) are now at 115cm from the center; so if I'm not wrong it's 23º. Anyway the máximum posible will be 120 cm.

I'm very limited due to the space; it's in a small flat in the center of a big city.... so I just want to get a good sound and dialogues at low volume. BMR are pretty good because of they "room filling".
Have the front left and front right as far apart as possible. The ideal speaker configuration is an equilateral triangle between the front left, front right and Main Listening Position (MLP).

120cm is better and get to under 25 deg. My initial calculations assumed just the width of the TV, i.e. (145cm overall length or 72.5cm when looking at a right angle triangle).

Is is possible to put a Min21 on top of the TV and rotated 90 deg? The height of the Min21 is just 3.1" and if the top of your TV has a bezel, it may be enough to take this into account. This way, you'll have the LCR.

What type of subs are you going to pair with the Min21? The Mins require a high crossover or high pass filter on the sub. Perpendicular has had satisfactory results with a pair of 8" subs, but the room plays a significant role as well as placement of both the subs and MLP.

As you'll be sitting close to the wall, there will be significant bass frequency variations. A good room correction system will take care of the peaks but not the nulls. If you're able to put some room treatment behind your sofa, it would improve sound quality.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey, Steve?! Is the Min 12 & 22 available in your area yet? Still a no show on Amazon in the United States.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

^Hi Perpendicular,

To be honest, I haven't gone to the local hifi shops and checked. If I have some time this coming weekend, might go to see what's there.
Perpendicular likes this.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yesterday, I talked with a US dealer on the East Coast regarding both Min 12 & 22 who told me that there is no official date for availability in North America but based on what he was told, he was guessing 2-6 weeks.
Old Today, 06:58 AM

I will get my (the fifth one) Minx 22 on Tuesday. I will need the recoomendations for the last set up. Perpendicular, I have a question. What do you think about the following idea of mine;

I have Marantz NR 1501
4 Minx 20
1 Minx 22
1 Minx X200 Subwoofer
2 Tannoy Mercury V Bookshelf speakers.

I have two alternatives.
1) Setting up 5.1 system and eliminate Tannoys.
2) Setting up 7.1 system and use Tannoys for Surrouns and Minx 20s as rear surrounds. Unfortunately, If I decide to use Tannoys, The placement of Tannoys will not be pleasant due to my MLP.
Old Today, 03:07 PM

Liked: 11
Had no idea that they were discontinuing the X200 in favor of the X201, but fortunately snagged one of the two last X200's from Spearit in MA for $349 including tax and shipping. Every other retailer I checked was totally sold out.

I've been wanting to pull the trigger on one as my second sub for some time, so now I'm good. 5x Min 21's, X500, and the X200 will be pumping out glorious audio from my Denon 3313ci by early next week!

Last edited by ckeegan; Today at 03:09 PM.

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , Subwoofers , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each