Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #181 of 1977 Old 11-15-2011, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPCorriveau View Post

If we're talking about the 2 subs setup, I was wondering if 2 x200 would sound better than one x300. Do I need 2 x300? What about one x200 and one x300. So one sub for the lower frequencies and one to fill the gap with the Mins?

Frankly, I wouldn't consider the x200 at all. It only has a 6.5" driver, and even though it has a passive radiator that's simply not going to cut it. Not for HT, anyway.

You said your room is 16x17, but didn't mention the ceiling height. That's critical when deciding on a subwoofer, because it's the total cubic volume of space that comes into play. Just one foot difference -- say 8 feet vs 9 feet high -- makes a volume difference of about 12%. That's significant. How high are the ceilings?

In general, dual subs are better than a single one. That configuration is more capable of mitigating "room modes", which are a whole other topic. Suffice it to say, it's not something you want. That being said... when running duals you need to consider the quality of what you buy very carefully. Depending upon the circumstances (budget mostly), it might actually be better to get a single good sub than 2 mediocre ones.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1977 Old 11-15-2011, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With 2 sub is it essential to go with a 7.2 AVR or 7.1 with "y" cable is ok

No, 7.2 is not necessary - a Y cable works just fine.

post #183 of 1977 Old 11-15-2011, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

I think I will have to try the min 20 and min10 setup to see what I like more...

You mean you're ordering both a pair of 20's and 10's to try out?
Or, a whole surround system of each model?

Quote:

If we're talking about the 2 subs setup, I was wondering if 2 x200 would sound better than one x300. Do I need 2 x300? What about one x200 and one x300. So one sub for the lower frequencies and one to fill the gap with the Mins?

I'm with Jim. Stick with, at least, a X300 or X500 model. If you go double, do two X300's. I went with two Mirage MM-8's just to save some money (half the cost of one X300. I see no reason why you couldn't do the same. Unless, of course, you have the funds burning a hole in your pocket. Oh, the Minx Subs allow daisy chaining so you can stick with one LFE (Sub out) output on your AVR.

Quote:

With 2 sub is it essential to go with a 7.2 AVR or 7.1 with "y" cable is ok

Either way is fine. I use neither. Well, sort of a "Y" cable. It's an adapter (no wires) that's essentially one male to two female connections.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #184 of 1977 Old 11-16-2011, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

You mean you're ordering both a pair of 20's and 10's to try out?
Or, a whole surround system of each model?

I'm with Jim. Stick with, at least, a X300 or X500 model. If you go double, do two X300's. I went with two Mirage MM-8's just to save some money (half the cost of one X300. I see no reason why you couldn't do the same. Unless, of course, you have the funds burning a hole in your pocket. Oh, the Minx Subs allow daisy chaining so you can stick with one LFE (Sub out) output on your AVR.

I'll try to demo them first at the dealer... To keep thing simple, I'll probably go with either S315 or S325. Since I never owned any HT system, I guess it will be quite an improvement over the sound of my TV!! I'm not short of money but I have to buy a flat-screan tv, some furniture and pay for renovation, so I have to cut somewhere!

The problem with another brand of sub is that I don't have any idea what is a good price or what is overprice for what I get. Being in Canada, availability is also a problem. Price are higher cause there less competition... With Cambridge at least, I know I get a good one...

I'll probably go with Denon 2112ci even if I'm not 100% sure between 2112 ad 2312...

Jim, my ceiling is 7'9"

Thanks you all for those precious informations!
post #185 of 1977 Old 11-16-2011, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll try to demo them first at the dealer...

Please, let us know how the demo goes. I'd be curious if you could listen to separate systems with both Min 10 & 20. I've been talking to a Dealer out in AZ who's listened to both, and can't seem yet able to describe to me what he heard, which has been frustrating. I would say, the heck with it, and purchase a set of Min 20's to compare. Only trouble is, the speakers are not returnable. The closest dealer to me is in the Northern part of California (Bay Area) and I don't intend to drive that far. I have no clue why I live in the second largest city in the United States and they don't have any Cambridge Audio Minx dealers here. The American distributor for Cambridge Audio is up in Canada. This may explain why you have a dealer and I don't. It boggles my mind who is in charge over at Cambridge Audio in England when it comes to this discrepancy. I mean, I'd really like to hear these on Demo.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #186 of 1977 Old 11-16-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:

Please, let us know how the demo goes. I'd be curious if you could listen to separate systems with both Min 10 & 20. I've been talking to a Dealer out in AZ who's listened to both, and can't seem yet able to describe to me what he heard, which has been frustrating. I would say, the heck with it, and purchase a set of Min 20's to compare. Only trouble is, the speakers are not returnable. The closest dealer to me is in the Northern part of California (Bay Area) and I don't intend to drive that far. I have no clue why I live in the second largest city in the United States and they don't have any Cambridge Audio Minx dealers here. The American distributor for Cambridge Audio is up in Canada. This may explain why you have a dealer and I don't. It boggles my mind who is in charge over at Cambridge Audio in England when it comes to this discrepancy. I mean, I'd really like to hear these on Demo.

Well, after a quick research, I have 3 dealers in Quebec City and surrouding area (10-15 min drive). If I'm willing to do a 2.5 hour drive, I have 20!!! As for price, listed price on one web site is 1499can$ for S325. Maybe I can get that down a bit...
post #187 of 1977 Old 11-16-2011, 05:54 PM

Shou
D Santa bring me pair of the 10s for Xmas......they wou
D be for front height speakers adding to 5.1 system used just for movies

Kevin
post #188 of 1977 Old 11-17-2011, 04:02 PM

Thanks for a great thread.
I'm looking at getting the minx 215 or 315 for my living room (13' x 11' x 11'ceilings). I'd be using them 80% for music, 20% movies.
Just about everything I read says "they're good for their size" or "good compared to Bose".

As owners, how compromised do you feel? Especially with music. Do you feel like you're getting about a 7 or 8/10 for music? (I'm worried the sound will be a bit thin)

And with a room my size, would I get away with the x200? Does the x300 blend better with the speakers? or just push more air?
post #189 of 1977 Old 11-18-2011, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy782 View Post

Thanks for a great thread.
I'm looking at getting the minx 215 or 315 for my living room (13' x 11' x 11'ceilings). I'd be using them 80% for music, 20% movies.
Just about everything I read says "they're good for their size" or "good compared to Bose".

That's a small room. Call me Einstein.

For the record, they are way better than any Bose system.

Quote:

As owners, how compromised do you feel? Especially with music. Do you feel like you're getting about a 7 or 8/10 for music? (I'm worried the sound will be a bit thin)

Personally, I don't feel compromised at all, and I'm about 75% music. I just get the upgrade itch and think I'd get better sound by upgrading to the bigger Min 20's. Yesterday, my testing proved that the Min 10 does suffice, even for the center channel in my living room. Somewhere within this Thread, I think I mentioned that these are the best satellite speakers I've either owned or demoed. So, no, for me, they don't sound thin at all. Unless you remove the Subwoofer.

Quote:

And with a room my size, would I get away with the x200? Does the x300 blend better with the speakers? or just push more air?

I don't have any experience with the smaller X200 Sub but feel that it would be plenty for your size room. If you think you'll ever move your system into a bigger room, I would go for the bigger X300.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #190 of 1977 Old 11-18-2011, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 186
So there are some folks who own the minx system? Was wondering about the BMR drivers in those speakers, the CA advertising seems to be a bit like Bose in its claims "Full range sound from a small driver"...
Sorry, I didn't read every post in this thread...can someone give me a pretty good review of the minx system(s)? Range, volume, music vs HT, on vs off axis, etc. Thanks

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #191 of 1977 Old 11-18-2011, 07:08 AM

Hey Elihawk. Welcome to the thread. If you go to page 1 of this thread and read the first two or three posts you'll get an extensive review by Perpendicular and links to all the "professional" reviews he's run across. I don't think any of us can come close to the review he's already done. I love mine!!
post #192 of 1977 Old 11-18-2011, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

yea, just quit being lazy and read the first page of this thread...excellent review!

post #193 of 1977 Old 11-18-2011, 07:20 AM

Sorry, maybe you misunderstood me. I thought I was helping to point you in the direction of an excellent, detailed, time-consuming review by someone who seems to be the most knowledgeable contributor in this thread. Any review I could offer would not come close to the one that's already been done. I apologize for the confusion and wish you well in your search.
post #194 of 1977 Old 11-18-2011, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mark...sorry...that came out wrong...I meant I quit being lazy and looked at the first page of the thread. good information there!

post #195 of 1977 Old 11-18-2011, 07:57 AM

Oh man that's too funny!! This is what I try to tell my kids about chatting and IM, and here I do the same thing!! Thanks for setting me straight.
post #196 of 1977 Old 11-18-2011, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just ordered another pair of Min 10's off of Amazon that should be here tomorrow to go from my current 3.2 to 5.2 speaker system.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #197 of 1977 Old 11-18-2011, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

So there are some folks who own the minx system? Was wondering about the BMR drivers in those speakers, the CA advertising seems to be a bit like Bose in its claims "Full range sound from a small driver"...
Sorry, I didn't read every post in this thread...can someone give me a pretty good review of the minx system(s)? Range, volume, music vs HT, on vs off axis, etc. Thanks

Please, do not use the name "Bose" in this Thread. Oops, I just did.

If you plan to listen "Off-Axis" (not in the sweet spot 100% of the time), these speakers are meant for you.

I'm glad to hear that you found some use from the first Post of this Thread. Welcome, and let us know if you have any further questions!

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #198 of 1977 Old 11-18-2011, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just ordered another pair of Min 10's off of Amazon that should be here tomorrow to go from my current 3.2 to 5.2 speaker system.

Gee, now there's a surprise...

post #199 of 1977 Old 11-18-2011, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Gee, now there's a surprise...

No, I have another one. I just cancelled my order for the two Min 10's and re-ordered one 10 and one 20.

So much for talking myself out of thinking I wanted a Min 20. Next month, I will purchase two more Min 20's for the front three.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #200 of 1977 Old 11-18-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, I have another one. I just cancelled my order for the two Min 10's and re-ordered one 10 and one 20.

OK, now that's the Jeff I know; never made a decision that didn't require deciding if it was the right decision...

Quote:

So much for talking myself out of thinking I wanted a Min 20. Next month, I will purchase two more Min 20's for the front three.

I'd bet money the 1.5 design will turn out fine. My guess is you'll be smiling big time when you have it setup that way.

post #201 of 1977 Old 11-18-2011, 01:23 PM

just wondering if any previous users of orb had any opportunity to use orb super 8 with the minx speakers?
post #202 of 1977 Old 11-18-2011, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmt2000 View Post

just wondering if any previous users of orb had any opportunity to use orb super 8 with the minx speakers?

I have zero experience with a Super 8 but would say you can use it only if there's a Subwoofer upgrade in mind in your future. One really needs the right Sub (DSP controlled) to mesh with the Mins properly.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #203 of 1977 Old 11-18-2011, 02:48 PM

Liked: 17
Congrats perpendicular on purchasing a min20 there is a significant difference between the min10 and 20, the shop where i demoed mine had both the min10s and min20s and you could switch between the two, to compare. The min20 had a little more volume in comparison to the min10s.

The good folks at cambridge audio sent me my horizontal speaker grille the other day in the post, all i need to do now is pick up another min20 for center duties and a table top stand to make my setup 3.1.
post #204 of 1977 Old 11-18-2011, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 90
To echo an earlier poster, it is frustrating that there is nowhere to demo the Minx in Southern California.
post #205 of 1977 Old 11-18-2011, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

With the concern over MtM arrangement of conventional center channel speakers in the horizontal configuration...how does that change with the minx center channel? Since there is not midrange-tweeter-midrange configuration, does that center channel have the same off axis issues as the usual horizontal center channel?

post #206 of 1977 Old 11-18-2011, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

To echo an earlier poster, it is frustrating that there is nowhere to demo the Minx in Southern California.

That be me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

With the concern over MtM arrangement of conventional center channel speakers in the horizontal configuration...how does that change with the minx center channel? Since there is not midrange-tweeter-midrange configuration, does that center channel have the same off axis issues as the usual horizontal center channel?

It doesn't count. You need midrange-tweeter-midrange drivers in order to have the off-axis issue. The Min 20 has two of the same drivers while one out of the two rolls off the upper frequencies via a resistor.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #207 of 1977 Old 11-18-2011, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiedee View Post

Congrats perpendicular on purchasing a min20 there is a significant difference between the min10 and 20, the shop where i demoed mine had both the min10s and min20s and you could switch between the two, to compare. The min20 had a little more volume in comparison to the min10s.

A little while ago, I starting thinking that maybe I should have just added three Min 20's now instead of getting just the one. Even though they won't be fully broken-in, I plan on comparing both the new 10 & 20 with some Mono material when they arrive tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiedee View Post

The good folks at cambridge audio sent me my horizontal speaker grille the other day in the post, all i need to do now is pick up another min20 for center duties and a table top stand to make my setup 3.1.

I don't understand why this isn't an option at purchase. Or, they could throw in two grills for the price they charge for the 20 over the 10. Heck, I'd settle for no emblem on the grill. I'd be surprised if you didn't pay extra for your horizontal grill.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #208 of 1977 Old 11-19-2011, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A little while ago, I starting thinking that maybe I should have just added three Min 20's now instead of getting just the one. Even though they won't be fully broken-in, I plan on comparing both the new 10 & 20 with some Mono material when they arrive tomorrow.

I don't understand why this isn't an option at purchase. Or, they could throw in two grills for the price they charge for the 20 over the 10. Heck, I'd settle for no emblem on the grill. I'd be surprised if you didn't pay extra for your horizontal grill.

It was good of you to take the plunge, on faith, and get the Minxes, sight unseen (or hearing unheard). There should be a demo of these somewhere in Los Angeles or San Diego... ridiculous. There is a putative Cambridge Audio dealer in Long Beach, I seem to recall, but he didn't have them, hadn't heard them, and wasn't enthusiastic about selling them... all the more surprising since he hadn't heard them! You have to taste the pudding!

The interesting thing about these speakers, which you discovered early on, is that they need a break in period. Many good things have break in periods, including musical instruments, and no one would drive a good engine flat out in the first thousands of miles. Yet these speakers are reviewed right out-of-the-box, 90% of the time, and they still do very well. But it's the wrong time to do the review.

I definitely want to hear them, and they intrigue me conceptually.
post #209 of 1977 Old 11-19-2011, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It was good of you to take the plunge, on faith, and get the Minxes, sight unseen (or hearing unheard). There should be a demo of these somewhere in Los Angeles or San Diego... ridiculous. There is a putative Cambridge Audio dealer in Long Beach, I seem to recall, but he didn't have them, hadn't heard them, and wasn't enthusiastic about selling them... all the more surprising since he hadn't heard them! You have to taste the pudding!

The closest dealer to us is in the Bay Area. This is what the Dealer Locator states on the Audio Plus Service (North American Dist.) Website. Though, it makes one wonder if they even have any on Demo.

Quote:

The interesting thing about these speakers, which you discovered early on, is that they need a break in period. Many good things have break in periods, including musical instruments, and no one would drive a good engine flat out in the first thousands of miles. Yet these speakers are reviewed right out-of-the-box, 90% of the time, and they still do very well. But it's the wrong time to do the review.

Personally, I feel the best thorough review of a Minx system (Min 20 + S300) is the AV Guide one. It's the closest one that defines what I'm hearing. Actually, the three listed below by Chris Martens are the most comprehensive I've yet seen on the Minx.

http://www.avguide.com/article/cambr...he-minx?page=1
http://www.avguide.com/blog/radical-...fferent-better
http://www.avguide.com/review/cambri...system-tpv-102

On another note: I received my extra Min 10 & 20 today. I was reluctant to add the Min 20 based on looks alone because, by the photos, I felt the Min 10 was the better looking of the two. Now that I've seen the Min 20 up close, it's strikingly handsome and looks better than the Min 10. I'm definitely adding the other two Min 20's to the front stage soon. I'm off now to compare both speakers and will Post soon.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #210 of 1977 Old 11-19-2011, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...On another note: I received my extra Min 10 & 20 today. I was reluctant to add the Min 20 based on looks alone because, by the photos, I felt the Min 10 was the better looking of the two. Now that I've seen the Min 20 up close, it's strikingly handsome and looks better than the Min 10. I'm definitely adding the other two Min 20's to the front stage soon. I'm off now to compare both speakers and will Post soon.

I'll be very interested in what you think, as I am attracted to the 325s setup.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , Subwoofers , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page