Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 70 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #2071 of 2091 Old 05-04-2015, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I did read a review by a customer over on Richer Sounds Website that has both 11 and 12 that stated he can hear a difference between the two speakers. So, maybe everything is the same internally except for the BMR?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2091 Old 05-04-2015, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefimke View Post
This 2.2mm->4mm excursion was also the news for the Minx20->Minx21 upgrade, so it's nothing new:
http://www.hifi.nl/artikel/19424/De-...1-en-X300.html
(in Dutch, but if you run it thru Google Translate and look for "4mm" you'll get the idea.)

Also the main driver looks exactly the same in Minx21 vs Minx22. Maybe the woofer got an update?

On the CA FB page a CA-guy responded to me with this: "The Minx 22 is almost identical internally to the 21 but has new styling"
I thought that increase in excursion sounded familiar.

Upon comparing the old photo for the Minx Min 11/21 to the updated drivers with the one in the recent brochure on the updated line, the drivers all look the same including the woofer that is in both 21/22. CA does claim they're using an updated (4th Generation) BMR taken from the Aeromax speaker line. The added woofer between both 21/22 has probably not been changed nor does CA claim it has.

It's too bad CA does not let their customers update the BMR in their previous models for a fee. Instead, they just want you to keep purchasing new models every couple of years which seems such a waste. You can always sell your previous models and update to newer models but here in North America, it's tough to get even half what you originally paid for them.
post #2073 of 2091 Old 05-04-2015, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
On the CA FB page a CA-guy responded to me with this: "The Minx 22 is almost identical internally to the 21 but has new styling"
btw, what was wrong with the old external styling?

The only difference I can tell is the front grille is changed. That may account for the difference in dispersion, etc.
post #2074 of 2091 Old 05-05-2015, 11:01 AM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post
I thought that increase in excursion sounded familiar.

Upon comparing the old photo for the Minx Min 11/21 to the updated drivers with the one in the recent brochure on the updated line, the drivers all look the same including the woofer that is in both 21/22. CA does claim they're using an updated (4th Generation) BMR taken from the Aeromax speaker line. The added woofer between both 21/22 has probably not been changed nor does CA claim it has.
The question still is... what did change besides the front grille... if it's really hearable improved I'd like to exchange my center 21 for a 22, as I consider my center of huge importance, for the rears I'm fine with the 21's. But it's not something I'd like to do every year over and over again.
Perpendicular likes this.
post #2075 of 2091 Old 05-05-2015, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm doing a bit of digging. So, stay tuned!
post #2076 of 2091 Old 05-05-2015, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay! I just received word that CA is definitely using that 4th Gen BMR used in the Aeromax line for the new Min models. The proof will be in the listening. I may acquire a pair of Min 12 to test out when they are finally made available.
nclee, Bazzy and steveting99 like this.
post #2077 of 2091 Old 05-16-2015, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just an update.

The Min 12 & 22 are now available on Amazon US for $99.99 & $199.99 respectively. It's interesting that each time CA updates the Min series, the price increases.

Also, I sent an email to 4 people that work for Audio Plus Services (North American Distributer) on May 6 regarding availability (at the time) and their take on the updated improvements, etc, and have yet to hear back from even one person. This is pretty pathetic and shows they are not interested in promoting Cambridge Audio products. Or, promoting them very poorly.

Because of the lack of support, increased pricing, etc, I've decided not to acquire either of the two models.
post #2078 of 2091 Old 05-21-2015, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How much better do the m11's sound than a Bose cube. I like the small size but without a tweeter I'm concerned that this is more like a Bose cube and that the high's would be painful to listen to. I see that the materials are obviously better than the Bose cube but curious what owners have to say about them. TIA.

Other speakers on my radar are the Jamo 102's and BA Soundware XS. This set up is going to be in my home office 10x10 room. I do like to crank music often and do all my gaming in this room.

Last edited by Ascen5sion; 05-21-2015 at 10:04 AM.
post #2079 of 2091 Old 05-24-2015, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascen5sion View Post
How much better do the m11's sound than a Bose cube. I like the small size but without a tweeter I'm concerned that this is more like a Bose cube and that the high's would be painful to listen to. I see that the materials are obviously better than the Bose cube but curious what owners have to say about them. TIA.

Other speakers on my radar are the Jamo 102's and BA Soundware XS. This set up is going to be in my home office 10x10 room. I do like to crank music often and do all my gaming in this room.

Also considering Kef KHT3005, Paradigm Cinema CT 100, and Focal Dome 5.1.

Someone please chime in. Thanks.
post #2080 of 2091 Old 05-24-2015, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Hi,

The Minx satellites are imho, a class way above the Bose. Boston & Jamo models you considered - way better especially more so if you go with the larger Min21/Min22 over the Min11/Min12 so hope that addresses your concerns on that.

The models you listed above are bigger so they should sound better but then again, they are considerably more expensive. All in your list above are very good satellite speakers & each have their strengths & I do not think you will be disappointed with any of them and come from solid, well respected brands.

The Paradigm CT100 is a less expensive version of their MileniaOne Satellites which are exceptionally good satellite speakers for their size but again, much more expensive. I was going to get them but they are rear ported which I did not want.

If you can go bigger yet, then very seriously consider the Monitor Audio Apex Series with an ID sub like SVS, PSA, Reaction Audio, HSU etc.

If you want something with a very small form factor & unique BMR presentation, the Minx Satellites are very hard to beat for the money. Another thing to consider is how many speakers you will have - the Minx are very unobtrusive & less of an eyesore & add to discreteness if you are concerned about such things.

It all depends on how big your room is - my room is 4m x 4m x 2.4m & they are great for that sort of space - too much bigger & they might struggle to fill in the space but that would be pretty much true of any type of very small form factor speaker regardless of the brand.

If you are in the USA, then I believe there are also plenty of slightly bigger form factor speakers that are also well regarded like NHT, RBH etc - but none of them have that special BMR Driver!

Others far better qualified than I will hopefully chime in!

Bazzy!

Last edited by Bazzy; 05-24-2015 at 09:31 AM.
post #2081 of 2091 Old 05-24-2015, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why are you comparing Bose with the brands you are mentioning? If you want no highs and no lows, stick with Bose. Any of the satellite speakers you mentioned would sound way better.

I hear the Minx sell very well in some parts of Europe and the brand is supported well. With that said, if you live near a Richer Sounds, I suggest you go visit them and have a listen. If you live in North America, I suggest that you look at another brand such as any of the ones you mentioned. You'll get better support from just about any one of them.
post #2082 of 2091 Old 05-24-2015, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post
Hi,

The Minx satellites are imho, a class way above the Bose. Boston & Jamo models you considered - way better especially more so if you go with the larger Min21/Min22 over the Min11/Min12 so hope that addresses your concerns on that.

The models you listed above are bigger so they should sound better but then again, they are considerably more expensive. All in your list above are very good satellite speakers & each have their strengths & I do not think you will be disappointed with any of them and come from solid, well respected brands.

The Paradigm CT100 is a less expensive version of their MileniaOne Satellites which are exceptionally good satellite speakers for their size but again, much more expensive. I was going to get them but they are rear ported which I did not want.

If you can go bigger yet, then very seriously consider the Monitor Audio Apex Series with an ID sub like SVS, PSA, Reaction Audio, HSU etc.

If you want something with a very small form factor & unique BMR presentation, the Minx Satellites are very hard to beat for the money. Another thing to consider is how many speakers you will have - the Minx are very unobtrusive & less of an eyesore & add to discreteness if you are concerned about such things.

It all depends on how big your room is - my room is 4m x 4m x 2.4m & they are great for that sort of space - too much bigger & they might struggle to fill in the space but that would be pretty much true of any type of very small form factor speaker regardless of the brand.

If you are in the USA, then I believe there are also plenty of slightly bigger form factor speakers that are also well regarded like NHT, RBH etc - but none of them have that special BMR Driver!

Others far better qualified than I will hopefully chime in!

Bazzy!

Thank you for the input. I really want to stay on the smaller size. It's not so much about the money it's just keeping it relatively stealthy.

Quote:
Why are you comparing Bose with the brands you are mentioning? If you want no highs and no lows, stick with Bose. Any of the satellite speakers you mentioned would sound way better.

I hear the Minx sell very well in some parts of Europe and the brand is supported well. With that said, if you live near a Richer Sounds, I suggest you go visit them and have a listen. If you live in North America, I suggest that you look at another brand such as any of the ones you mentioned. You'll get better support from just about any one of them.
The reason I'm comparing the Minx to the Bose is because I:

1) Know what the Bose sound like.. 2) Both speakers are absent of a tweeter.

The fact that the Minx do not have tweeters concerns me as I do not like Bose cubes. The Bose are harsh on the ears and considering I will be sitting on top of these speakers I want something with nice clean highs. If the highs are decent on the Minx then I'm really liking the idea of them. They're extremely small, look nice, and the sub is small and would fit nicely and relatively unnoticed in the corner of the room.
post #2083 of 2091 Old 05-24-2015, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
@Ascen5sion

Where are you based USA or elsewhere?

If USA, I would probably spend that little bit more & get the Millennia Ones or Focal Domes etc due to the price of the Mins in the USA - European stuff tends to be higher priced against stiff domestic competition/deals in the USA & vice versa - e.g: if the Min22's are $199 then I would rather pay $50 more & get the Paradigms or Focal Domes etc at $250 - hope others would agree with me.

If you wish to consider the "On Wall" types, I understand that the Goldenear Supersat 3's are very good at full retail price of $250 each - maybe deals can also be had.

Your room size at 3m x 3m is smaller than mine so the Min's should work well as long as you get a sub that can crossover at 150hz or higher. I am using Velodyne SPL-800 Ultra which is also small form factor but has incredible slam & tactility for it's size but expensive. Also use a twin ported XTZ 99W.16 which is bigger but fantastic value for money. As they are not that much bigger (even though double the size), I went for the bigger models just for peace of mind - at one time I had both.

Are you planning for 5.1, 7.1, Atmos etc? Just asking to consider the "stealth" factor.

What sub are you considering?

Bazzy!

Last edited by Bazzy; 05-24-2015 at 06:41 PM.
post #2084 of 2091 Old 05-24-2015, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If you will be sitting "On Top" of the speakers, I'm with Bazzy and recommend the SuperSats due to the Air-Motion tweeter. I sit real close to a pair of bookshelves that use the Air-Motion and do not find it fatiguing at all and is what I love about it.

By the way, if you are going to be sitting on top of your speakers, you won't hear the highs at all.
post #2085 of 2091 Old 05-25-2015, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:

Be sure to get a good sub that can go up to around 200Hz so that the crossover with the satellites don't end up with a frequency "hole".

I've got the KEF E301 satellites and plan on getting a pair of Rythmik F8 mid bass modules that can crossover up to 250Hz. This effectively will make the satellite + sub a full range speaker.

Where do you live? As perpendicular mentioned, the Minx speakers are not well supported in the states and buyers have been left out in the cold to fend for themselves.

Thanks to perpendicular for starting this thread in AVS forums, to help owners who've purchased the CA Minx speakers. Wish CA would pull out their thumbs and provide support for owners outside of their UK based market. They do themselves no favors in trying to sell more of their products.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8 (on order), HiMedia Q16 (on order).
post #2086 of 2091 Old 05-25-2015, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

I'm located in the US. I really like the size and style of the Minx but not being able to demo them myself is giving me reservations. I leaning more Kef or Paradigm. It's just the Minx size is nice and that sub is really tiny (Y).

I will have to check out some of the other speakers you guys have mentioned. Thank you for the input.
post #2087 of 2091 Old 05-29-2015, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Arrow

Ok guys, let's play a game...

try to guess the speaker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150529_154738.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	743585  
post #2088 of 2091 Old 05-29-2015, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeDeV View Post
Ok guys, let's play a game...

try to guess the speaker
Min 22 in white?
post #2089 of 2091 Old 05-29-2015, 12:49 PM

minx min 22 and min 11 comparison

yeap that's right.
just got them today. i sold my Min 11 and updated my home cinema's surround backs with min 22. Let's hope i will hear a difference that will justify the money difference. (which ok.... in my case it was not much, since i sold my min 11)

here are some more pictures for you guys. (since it seems like there are not many online)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150529_154747.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	743857   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150529_204611.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	743865   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150529_204624.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	743873  
post #2090 of 2091 Old 05-30-2015, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeDeV View Post
yeap that's right.
Guess I don't win a prize?

You should have saved your money on the new models. I could have sold you my lot for half the price.
post #2091 of 2091 Old Today, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Guess I don't win a prize?

You should have saved your money on the new models. I could have sold you my lot for half the price.
not if i told you, how much i paid extra to get them

a little bit review on these things ( i haven't got enough time unfortunately to test them as much as i would like)

they sound louder than the min 11, which is something i was really hoping for...
a little reminder my home cinema consists of b&w 603 s2, lcr 600, lm-1, svs pb1000, onkyo 709 and used to have minx 11

i run them at 150Hz, onkyo lowered them 2db more than the min 11 (the min 11 where at -2db and now the min 22 are in -4db)
of course i changed that number to -2 again, since i like to hear the surround backs a little bit more in my system.

as for the looks... they look a bit more of a "serious" speaker than the min 11 (since they are twice as big). they still look awesome in my room and a perfect choice for my room limitations (2 meter ceiling and no near back wall... so i had to install them on the ceiling).

i only wish i could do a 9.1 with my onkyo, so that i could have front heights too..

ah! about the sound they are producing.... they are AT LEAST as good as the min 11. sorry i can't tell u more about the comparison between them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , Subwoofers , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each