Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 72 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
post #2131 of 2152 Unread 06-26-2015, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post
I wanted to Post some more thoughts on the Minx speakers but it will have to wait for a couple of more days when I have more time.
Okay! I have some time now. So, here goes...

I've had my Minx system back up for close to two weeks now. In this time I've noticed a couple of things. When I decided to upgrade my system to bigger bookshelf speakers, the first thing I noticed was the fuller sound the speakers gave in the mid-band along with, depending on recording, some instrument scale improvement. I really liked the sound of the air-motion tweeter too. It was extended and made the sound a bit more realistic. Though, I'm not too sure it wasn't the larger midbass driver that was causing the enlarged scaling of instruments. Maybe, it was a combination of the two. The downside to the system that I could never get over was the fact that I couldn't feel the music in my soul. The system sounded good whether I was using room correction or using the shelving equalization and it was far from fatiguing in that sense but I never really wanted to listen to music that long. I kind of had to make myself sit and listen. It wasn't bad, just not very engaging. I couldn't connect. The other issue I had was the speakers always sounded like I was listening to drivers in a box. Once I returned to the Minx speakers all that changed. I always knew I was missing something when I wasn't using them any longer. I knew I missed their midrange purity but what I completely forgot about was how musical they were. Plus, I wasn't hearing that boxy coloration in the midrange. Having the Minx back reminded me of when I had my Magnepans (several models) over the years. Of course, with less scale of instruments but I'll make that trade off without having to install panels in my room. This is no knock on my previous speakers. They are very good at what they were designed to do. I just don't miss them that much anymore. Funny thing is, when I'm not listening to my Minx system, I really miss it. Unfortunately, there are times when I just can't listen to it in the main living room. Once I acquire my new amp, I may have to build a second Minx system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 2152 Unread 06-26-2015, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hi Jeff,

Quote:
Once I acquire my new amp, I may have to build a second Minx system.
How about the Aero/Aeromax BMR Speakers for your music listening needs & the Minx for your Home Theatre? Best of both worlds?!!

Bazzy!
post #2133 of 2152 Unread 06-26-2015, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Bazzy!

As I stated earlier, the Aeromax gets mediocre reviews compared to the Aero. So, if I was going to go that direction, I'd choose the Aero based on that consensus. Thanks, but no thanks! The Aero speakers are still too big, and besides, I prefer a loudspeaker that's easy to look at and fits in the decor. I like satellite speakers because they're non-obtrusive and call less attention to themselves over bookshelf and floor standing models.
post #2134 of 2152 Unread 06-26-2015, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi Bazzy!

As I stated earlier, the Aeromax gets mediocre reviews compared to the Aero. So, if I was going to go that direction, I'd choose the Aero based on that consensus. Thanks, but no thanks! The Aero speakers are still too big, and besides, I prefer a loudspeaker that's easy to look at and fits in the decor. I like satellite speakers because they're non-obtrusive and call less attention to themselves over bookshelf and floor standing models.
Hi Jeff!,

I hear you exactly & pretty much agree - I was just jesting with you about getting the Aero's!

Bazzy!
post #2135 of 2152 Unread 06-26-2015, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post
Hi Jeff!,

I hear you exactly & pretty much agree - I was just jesting with you about getting the Aero's!

Bazzy!
You've already tried to convince me that I need to try out the New Minx speakers. Just so you know, I'm getting closer and closer to a decision on gettting the Min22. If I do pull the trigger, it will be fairly soon. How soon is now? Like, next week.
post #2136 of 2152 Unread 06-26-2015, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 212
What is the ideal center to go with Min 21's ?

Also, if you were going to do Atmos, 5.1 plus 2 ceiling speakers, would you go Min 21's for all 7 speakers ?
post #2137 of 2152 Unread 06-27-2015, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
What is the ideal center to go with Min 21's ?
Another Min21. Or, Min22.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
Also, if you were going to do Atmos, 5.1 plus 2 ceiling speakers, would you go Min 21's for all 7 speakers ?
I would do the 3 front speakers all the same as a minimum. You could use the larger Mins for the front 3 and the rest could be Min11/12. Or, what I would do since I listen to surround music a lot, is the Min21/22 for front three and for the side or rear surrounds in a 5.1 system. Then, I can add the smaller Min11/22 for the rest of the speakers for Atmos, etc.
post #2138 of 2152 Unread 06-27-2015, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was listening to my smaller bookshelf speakers for about an hour. This is immediately after I listened to a pair of the Min21. I haven't listened to either one of my bookshelf speaker models in a couple of weeks. First thing that hit me was the closed-in sound of listening to drivers in a box, the coloration of the midrange in comparison to the open sounding Minx speakers.
post #2139 of 2152 Unread 06-27-2015, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm getting closer and closer to a decision on gettting the Min22. If I do pull the trigger, it will be fairly soon. How soon is now? Like, next week.
I'm sitting here trying to decide whether to get the Min12 or Min22. All I want to do is hear the difference with the new generation BMR. My thought is to save the money and get the Min12 but if I like them I'll want the Min22 all the more.
post #2140 of 2152 Unread 06-27-2015, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm sitting here trying to decide whether to get the Min12 or Min22. All I want to do is hear the difference with the new generation BMR. My thought is to save the money and get the Min12 but if I like them I'll want the Min22 all the more.
Hi Jeff!

My very strong vote is.... THE MIN22!! You know that if you get the Min12 then you will most probably want the Min22 later anyway so save yourself the frustration!!

Bazzy!
Perpendicular likes this.
post #2141 of 2152 Unread 06-27-2015, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi Jeff!

My very strong vote is.... THE MIN22!! You know that if you get the Min12 then you will most probably want the Min22 later anyway so save yourself the frustration!!

Bazzy!
I knew I could count on you!
post #2142 of 2152 Unread 06-27-2015, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 55
post #2143 of 2152 Unread 06-28-2015, 03:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ien2 View Post
Doooo eeeeeet!!!!!!
I just want to say guys that it looks like my Min 22 have "opened up".

i don't know what or how, but now i kinda love them more.

i was watching Mad Max yesterday and i must say it is one of the best movies from now on for me for testing the surround backs.

i have never experienced my surround backs like that (and the movie was 5.1)

i like how they look on my ceiling and i must say that it was a good buy. unfortunately i can't compare it with the Minx 21 since i only had Minx 11 before.

As for what Perpendicular said, yes Minx try to open up in the room. i don't know if i would use them as fronts, but as surround backs they BLEND with my surround rear, which makes the whole surround experience nice.
post #2144 of 2152 Unread 06-28-2015, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ien2 View Post
Doooo eeeeeet!!!!!!
Since, no one else wants to get a pair to test them out as fronts and since there are no reviews of the difference between the new and previous generation models other than one customer from Richer Sounds with a short blurb regarding the Min12 from a Min11, I'd say I'm almost being forced to. Listening to my system now, it's kind of hard to want to even upgrade but I've been having an itch that, most likely, needs to be scratched.
post #2145 of 2152 Unread 06-28-2015, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

TeDeV,

I was looking again at your photos of the Min22. How did you remove the grille? It looks like it has tabs on the inside and needs something sharp to pry it off. The drivers seem to be more recessed into the cabinet than the last two generation models.
post #2146 of 2152 Unread 06-28-2015, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 193
FYI, accessories4less has Minx 11 and 21 for amazing prices at the moment. if you are on the fence, this may be the time to pull the trigger.
post #2147 of 2152 Unread 06-28-2015, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
FYI, accessories4less has Minx 11 and 21 for amazing prices at the moment. if you are on the fence, this may be the time to pull the trigger.
Shhh!
post #2148 of 2152 Unread 06-29-2015, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
TeDeV,

I was looking again at your photos of the Min22. How did you remove the grille? It looks like it has tabs on the inside and needs something sharp to pry it off. The drivers seem to be more recessed into the cabinet than the last two generation models.
i used a thin-hard-plastic ruler, pushed it a bit in the corners to make sure that i won't scratch the fabric and then pulled it out. then i changed the angle and the position

i wanted the surround back left to have the logo at the left speaker and the surround back right to have the logo at the right speaker.

i had the chance to test a few movies this weekend. i am quite satisfied with them. i don't know why but i like the way these minx are installed in my system. i have B&W LM-1 silvers as surround rears, which they match with the silver touches that the minx have.
i wish my avr could support 9.2 so that i could have front-heights too
post #2149 of 2152 Unread Yesterday, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My Minx Min21 in White have arrived.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1435697557627.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	805242  
post #2150 of 2152 Unread Yesterday, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My Minx Min21 in White have arrived.

Hi Jeff,

Nice - very nice but when are the Min22's due to arrive - I take it that it will be fairly soon

Bazzy!
post #2151 of 2152 Unread Today, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi Jeff,

Nice - very nice but when are the Min22's due to arrive - I take it that it will be fairly soon

Bazzy!
Yes, sir! Only a couple more days away. I ordered a pair of them in Black. I'm hoping it will be as good of an upgrade as it was going from the Min20 to Min21.. If it is, I will be upgrading my Min21 for my center channel too. btw, I decided to order via Amazon from the dealer that helped me the most in making the decision to try a pair. If they work out, I'll reveal who that very helpful dealer is. Hint: It's one of the three that sell through Amazon.
post #2152 of 2152 Unread Today, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, sir! Only a couple more days away. I ordered a pair of them in Black. I'm hoping it will be as good of an upgrade as it was going from the Min20 to Min21.. If it is, I will be upgrading my Min21 for my center channel too. btw, I decided to order via Amazon from the dealer that helped me the most in making the decision to try a pair. If they work out, I'll reveal who that very helpful dealer is. Hint: It's one of the three that sell through Amazon.
Hi Jeff,

Congrats - looks like you will be the first among us to get your hands on the Min22 & give meaningful input & impressions about them - it will be very interesting indeed to see how they fare!

Bazzy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , Subwoofers , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each