Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 74 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #2191 of 2217 Old 07-04-2015, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 43
So far, I've only listened to three songs. For a comparison, I'm glad I put the two models side by side so I can switch fast and easy. The Min 22 is improved over the Min 21. The sound is definitely smoother from the midrange through to the treble. There's more depth, clarity in the lead vocals which are louder and, most of all, the separation between instruments lets you hear them better.

I will Post more thoughts if I hear anything further.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 2217 Old 07-04-2015, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm sitting here listening to Yes "Going For The One". What's interesting about this song is that there's a lot going on and can sound quite congested on many speakers. Through the Min 22, my brain is more relaxed and I can follow individual instruments a lot better. On the Min 21, it's like the song sounds compressed and less open. Also, all the vocals are so much clearer on the Min 22. That's right! All vocals including the background.

Another thing I was thinking about 10 minutes ago is I was contemplating using Min 22 for front three speakers but now I think I'll eventually change out all five.
post #2193 of 2217 Old 07-04-2015, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Min 22 definitely sound fuller, tighter and wider. While playing the Min 21, I sometimes got a sense that my rear speakers were on. With the Min 22, it definitely feels like they're on.
post #2194 of 2217 Old 07-04-2015, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I finished running room correction again and noticed that after a few hours on the Min 22, they're just as loud as the Min 21 now.
post #2195 of 2217 Old 07-04-2015, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Praise Due

This is just to thank Perpendicular for creating and maintaining the best thread and resource for these unusual speakers. He has been the motivating force that has kept this discussion alive, and has been tremendously proactive and generous in sharing his exploration and experience.
Perpendicular likes this.
post #2196 of 2217 Old 07-04-2015, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If you asked me a week ago if I would of thought there was going to be enough difference with the new Min 22 to warrant an upgrade or a new purchase, I would have said not really much because they're using the same sized BMR. Let me tell you, the folks responsible for the Minx design has, once again, proven me wrong.
post #2197 of 2217 Old 07-04-2015, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm listening to the 5.1 version of Talking Heads "Little Creatures". It's interesting how when the rear Min 21 speakers are playing, how my brain is registering a difference between the two models. I'm sure an ordinary average person would not notice, and if I didn't want to pay close attention, I wouldn't hear the difference either.
post #2198 of 2217 Old 07-04-2015, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
This is just to thank Perpendicular for creating and maintaining the best thread and resource for these unusual speakers. He has been the motivating force that has kept this discussion alive, and has been tremendously proactive and generous in sharing his exploration and experience.
Yeah, like I got nothing better to do with my time.

All the same, I appreciate the very kind words! (I tried to find a hug or hand shake but had no luck. )
post #2199 of 2217 Old 07-04-2015, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 632
So who's selling their 21's?
post #2200 of 2217 Old 07-04-2015, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I really don't think your going to find the Min 21 cheaper than what accessories4less is selling them.
post #2201 of 2217 Old 07-04-2015, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyway, I have three Min 20 and three Min 21 I'd like to sell but unless I give them away, I'll probably be keeping them.
post #2202 of 2217 Old 07-04-2015, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post
I really don't think your going to find the Min 21 cheaper than what accessories4less is selling them.
Quote:
Anyway, I have three Min 20 and three Min 21 I'd like to sell but unless I give them away, I'll probably be keeping them.
I understand. I'm in between the Minx and the Polk Audio TL's.
post #2203 of 2217 Old 07-05-2015, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A word regarding the new cosmetic look of the front baffle. I'm not sure whether to love it or hate it. It does seem to look more streamline but there are two things that bother me. It closely resembles a Bose Cube and the Min 22 looks more like two Min 12 stuck together instead of a single cube like the Min 20/21. I'm sure I'll get over both those issues because they're not really that bad, just different and will need a little getting used to.
post #2204 of 2217 Old 07-05-2015, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
A word regarding the new cosmetic look of the front baffle. I'm not sure whether to love it or hate it. It does seem to look more streamline but there are two things that bother me. It closely resembles a Bose Cube and the Min 22 looks more like two Min 12 stuck together instead of a single cube like the Min 20/21. I'm sure I'll get over both those issues because they're not really that bad, just different and will need a little getting used to.
Out of curiosity, have you run the 22's without the grilles on yet?
post #2205 of 2217 Old 07-05-2015, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
... It closely resembles a Bose Cube...
At least it doesn't resemble a Borg Cube.
post #2206 of 2217 Old 07-05-2015, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ien2 View Post

Out of curiosity, have you run the 22's without the grilles on yet?
I don't feel the need to remove the grille like I did experimenting with the Min 20. I felt, removing the grille on the Min 20 made them sound better. Besides, the Min 22 look better with them in place. I'm getting used to how they look. In a way, the Min 22 does look better than the previous models. I wasn't ready to say that a couple of days ago. To nit pick, the only thing I don't like is when turning the speaker on it's side and repositioning the grille, it looks awkward on the one side. The plus side of this is, if you end up not purchasing a complete Minx package, you had to send out for a horizontal grille. Not anymore! Another smart Cambridge Audio decision.
post #2207 of 2217 Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
If you asked me a week ago if I would of thought there was going to be enough difference with the new Min 22 to warrant an upgrade or a new purchase, I would have said not really much because they're using the same sized BMR. Let me tell you, the folks responsible for the Minx design has, once again, proven me wrong.

Hi Jeff,

Glad they seem to be an improvement then - by what sort of margin would you estimate?

I will have to force myself not to get too focused on the new models & just appreciate the ones I already have - funny how this hobby can entice one to keep wanting to upgrade!

Keep us informed of your findings!!

Bazzy!
post #2208 of 2217 Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post
Hi Jeff,

Glad they seem to be an improvement then - by what sort of margin would you estimate?

I will have to force myself not to get too focused on the new models & just appreciate the ones I already have - funny how this hobby can entice one to keep wanting to upgrade!

Keep us informed of your findings!!

Bazzy!
Hi Bazzy!

Not sure how to answer other than if you already have the Min 21 (Min21), don't even try the Min 22 (Min22) unless you want to upgrade. What I stated in all my previous Posts regarding their sound quality, they have improved the BMR in all areas. If anything, I'll definitely be changing out the center channel soon because I'm really impressed with the clarity the most, followed by the deeper and wider soundstage. I really thought I was going to demo a pair and maybe return them but I like the improvement too much.
post #2209 of 2217 Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Also, it was around the 6-7 hour mark when they started to smooth out and become the BMR I know. One of the things I love about the Minx satellite speakers is their midrange purity. All other dynamic boxed speakers I've heard, and there are plenty of them, sound compressed, boxy and colored in that area.
post #2210 of 2217 Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi Bazzy!

Not sure how to answer other than if you already have the Min 21 (Min21), don't even try the Min 22 (Min22) unless you want to upgrade. What I stated in all my previous Posts regarding their sound quality, they have improved the BMR in all areas. If anything, I'll definitely be changing out the center channel soon because I'm really impressed with the clarity the most, followed by the deeper and wider soundstage. I really thought I was going to demo a pair and maybe return them but I like the improvement too much.

Hi Jeff,

For me that does not sound too good as it might really get the upgrade itch to keep surfacing! I will hold out as much as I can but to be honest, if I ever do upgrade, it will probably be just the front L/C/R (way down the road sometime!) but lately, I have been intrigued into wondering how the Minx might blend in with an Aero BMR L/C/R. I can live with the Aero Centre Speaker but the Bookshelf's might just be a little too big & boxy for me.

I am surprised that no one has tried this combination out yet - maybe I am just being optimistic!

Congrats one the Min22's once again - sounds like you made the right decision!

Bazzy!
post #2211 of 2217 Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Bazzy!

Do you listen to music or are the Minx used for movies and tv watching only? Also, if you do listen to music, do you sit down and listen? Or, is it used for background? Any 5.1 music?

Last edited by Perpendicular; Yesterday at 09:48 PM.
post #2212 of 2217 Old Today, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi Bazzy!

Do you listen to music or are the Minx used for movies and tv watching only? Also, if you do listen to music, do you sit down and listen? Or, is it used for background? Any 5.1 music?
Hi Jeff,

At present, I would say 70% movies & 30% music but tbh, that is down to time restraints & opportunity & I do sit down to listen to music to soothe the savage beast after dealing with crappy days! I usually just pop in a CD or some stuff I have on a HDD so hardly any 5.1 music but that is something I would really like to experience.

Is there a resource(s) somewhere that I can access that will allow me to try out some 5.1/multi channel music? Now that I have all Wides & Heights connected to the standard 5.1 set-up, I am intrigued as to how it will sound!

Bazzy!
post #2213 of 2217 Old Today, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Bazzy!

I will PM you the info.
post #2214 of 2217 Old Today, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

[QUOTE=Bazzy;35585394]
Quote:

Hi Jeff,

At present, I would say 70% movies & 30% music but tbh, that is down to time restraints & opportunity & I do sit down to listen to music to soothe the savage beast after dealing with crappy days! I usually just pop in a CD or some stuff I have on a HDD so hardly any 5.1 music but that is something I would really like to experience.
I would replace your front three speakers with the Min 22. As an absolute minimum, the center channel speaker since you are mostly movies.
post #2215 of 2217 Old Today, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

[quote=Perpendicular;35586994]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post

I would replace your front three speakers with the Min 22. As an absolute minimum, the center channel speaker since you are mostly movies.
Hi Jeff,

I have always felt that I wanted a little bit more from the front end (especially as far as vocals are concerned) - maybe my set up is not optimal but if the Min22's do make the difference you have experienced then it might very well be an option worth considering for me.

How much of a difference do you feel the Min22's would make to the main L&R Surround Channels over say the Min21 that I currently have? I have always had it in my head that as they are "only" surround effects channels, it would be a somewhat wasted exercise to keep upgrading them as they only process "limited" information so the difference would be marginal at best - I have a feeling that there might be a flaw in my thinking somewhere or to some extent!

Bazzy!
post #2216 of 2217 Old Today, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

[quote=Bazzy;35590418]
Quote:

Hi Jeff,

I have always felt that I wanted a little bit more from the front end (especially as far as vocals are concerned) - maybe my set up is not optimal but if the Min22's do make the difference you have experienced then it might very well be an option worth considering for me.

How much of a difference do you feel the Min22's would make to the main L&R Surround Channels over say the Min21 that I currently have? I have always had it in my head that as they are "only" surround effects channels, it would be a somewhat wasted exercise to keep upgrading them as they only process "limited" information so the difference would be marginal at best - I have a feeling that there might be a flaw in my thinking somewhere or to some extent!

Bazzy!
This is hard to say because I haven't used the Min 22 as my side surrounds yet. I would feel they would help with surround effects because they're an upgrade. Better dispersion. For me, I can hear a wider and deeper soundstage. Plus, everything is clearer. If you look at it another way, if you don't know what you are missing, you won't miss it. I just purchased a pair of Min 21 in white and received such a good deal that I really don't want to send them back because I would have to get the Min 22 in white too and I would rather have them in black but my roommate likes that color better back on the walls and I'll probably suffer. Yes, she is the queen of the castle! I may just get the center channel for now. Unless, I change my mind about the white. I was thinking too that I may need height speakers in 2-4 months and they may have to be white.
post #2217 of 2217 Old Today, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:

... Unless, I change my mind about the white. I was thinking too that I may need height speakers in 2-4 months and they may have to be white.
I sense that Jeff is travelling down the Atmos and DTS:X path in the not too distant future. Will it be a 7.1.4 configuration?

Planning to get a new receiver to replace your beloved Pioneer?

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4) & 10x10HD, Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300 (on order).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , Subwoofers , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page