Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 76 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 52Likes

Old 07-15-2015, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Can anyone confirm if there are high pass filters on the outputs of the X201?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2015, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by tac1 View Post
Here is a photo of the x201 controls.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Minx x201.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	832026  

Last edited by Perpendicular; 07-15-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Hi tac1,

The high pass filters are normally provided on the power terminals for hooking up the sub + speakers to the amp side of the receiver. The X201 does not have any high level inputs.

The X201 does have low level inputs for LFE as well as left/right pre-out channels from the receiver/pre/pro.

So is your question if the pre-out is connected to the X201, will there be any high pass filter? According to the installation guide, the line out is meant to connect to a second X201 sub. Believe it is a simple pass through circuit with no filtering applied.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Hi tac1,

The high pass filters are normally provided on the power terminals for hooking up the sub + speakers to the amp side of the receiver. The X201 does not have any high level inputs.

The X201 does have low level inputs for LFE as well as left/right pre-out channels from the receiver/pre/pro.

So is your question if the pre-out is connected to the X201, will there be any high pass filter? According to the installation guide, the line out is meant to connect to a second X201 sub. Believe it is a simple pass through circuit with no filtering applied.
Thank you.

I am only using a DAC and a Stereo Amp, so I was curious if running the DAC through the RCA inputs/outputs on the X201, then to the Stereo Amp, then to the Min11s would satisfy the recommended high pass filter for the Min 11s.

Instead, I will just split the RCA out of the DAC to the Stereo Amp and the x201. It appears the easiest way to satisfy the high pass for the Min11s would be to use something like the link below on the inputs of the Stereo Amp? Unfortunately they don't offer anything between 100Hz and 150Hz.

http://www.amazon.com/FMOD-Crossover.../dp/B0006N41LK
Old 07-16-2015, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Thank you.

I am only using a DAC and a Stereo Amp, so I was curious if running the DAC through the RCA inputs/outputs on the X201, then to the Stereo Amp, then to the Min11s would satisfy the recommended high pass filter for the Min 11s.

Instead, I will just split the RCA out of the DAC to the Stereo Amp and the x201. It appears the easiest way to satisfy the high pass for the Min11s would be to use something like the link below on the inputs of the Stereo Amp? Unfortunately they don't offer anything between 100Hz and 150Hz.

http://www.amazon.com/FMOD-Crossover.../dp/B0006N41LK
You might want to consider an active electronic crossover such as the miniDSP 2x4 balanced unit here: http://www.minidsp.com/products/mini...p-balanced-2x4

The idea is to send the left and right channels as the input, implement the crossover internally and output the mid to high frequencies on the output to the external stereo amp and the bass to the sub (X201).

The balanced 2x4 is quite flexible. One can choose any crossover freqeuncy, the slope, implement PEQ filters as well as setting delays. This is not possible with the passive and fixed FMOD.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 694
So, I'm thinking of buying the minx 21 from accessories4less for surround purposes. I'm also thinking of mounting them on the side wall or possibly the ceiling. For those of you that have mounted the minx, what type of mount are you using? I you have pictures please share them if possible? I'm trying to convince the wife that these are the ones since she doesn't want any large speakers taking too much space. I had to sell my surround Arx A3 towers for this reason. Thank you.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Minx Min 21 in white using the Cambridge Audio wall mounts in white. It is the only one that will fit the back of the speakers threaded insert.

Here is the wall mounts in black: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ck-pair/1.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1437098927584.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	833530  

Last edited by Perpendicular; 07-16-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post
Minx Min 21 in white using the Cambridge Audio wall mounts in white. It is the only one that will fit the back of the speakers threaded insert.

Here is the wall mounts in black: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ck-pair/1.html
Thanks for the picture. Do you by any chance have one that shows the whole wall. Wife wants to see how small they really are lol.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
Thanks for the picture. Do you by any chance have one that shows the whole wall. Wife wants to see how small they really are lol.
The dimension in inches is 6.0 H x 3.1 W x 3.3 D. To get any smaller (3.1 x 3.1 x 3.3), you would have to get the Min 11.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Photo of the left surround satellite.

Last edited by Perpendicular; 07-17-2015 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Photo of the left surround satellite.
Thanks for the picture. The Minx 21 will definitely work, but accessories4less doesn't have the black ones in stock. The white ones are in stock, but they only have black wall mounts. So, I guess I'll have to wait for now till they either get black speakers in stock or white wall mounts.

By the way, what were you doing before taking the picture? We can see you half your body is naked!
Old 07-17-2015, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey?! This is Southern California. I always walk around top nude with my shirt off.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hey?! This is Southern California. I always walk around top nude with my shirt off.
Not in Central Ca. It's freaking hot and sunny here. You'll get 3rd sun burns with or without sun block. Well at least I do. I'm allergic to the sun lol.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
there you go, mine on my ceiling

Minx 22 White
Old 07-18-2015, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm sitting here listening to Stevie Wonder's, Living For The City, a HiRes Flac download of a song taken from the "Original Musiquarium" album. The Min 22's sound fantastic! It's like I'm listening with my surround speakers on but it's only stereo. I did get this effect with the Min 21 but not as pronounced. Like it's gone from 25% to 100%.

Last edited by Perpendicular; 07-18-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Boy, did I downsize?!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1437271247403.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	836778  
Old 07-19-2015, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Boy, did I downsize?!
Hi Jeff,

Most guys the world over usually love to brag about how big their "Equipment" is but we Minx guys are the opposite! I guess the best things really do come in small packages sometimes!

Bazzy!
Perpendicular likes this.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Kind of dissapointed with Minx 325...

Hi!

I live in a small apartment and I wanted a full surround system just to see movies and play PS3/PS4. After a lot of research (online reviews and this thread) I decided to buy the Minx 325 setup --(5) MIN21 with an (1) X300 SW-- matched with a Pioneer VSX-924.

My last (and first) surround system was a Yamaha HTR-5830 HTIB, and I was kind of happy with it, so my expectations with the Minx where very high! I mean, the Minx's price was way higher than the Yamaha, and reviews were very positive on the performance on the Minx 325, specially for watching movies.

I am by no means an audiophile nor an expert in audio, but I enjoy immersive sound just as much as the next guy.

I bought and installed the system about 3 months ago, and from day 1 and was underwhelmed with the Minx's performance (and Pioneer VSX-924 for that matter). Ok, I've read the Minx's 325 need to loose up and some "break in" time, but I think 3 months is more than enough! I never forced them nor listened with a "too high" volume...

They seem to lack the performance to produce a surrounding sound, and fail to make the movies sounds powered with that gut-moving "oouuumphfff" (i dont know how to say/express it). Yes, they are better than my TV's speaker, but I thought this kind of price and fidelity was going to bring almost cinema experience. I tested it with LOTR:ROTK on bluray, and some scenes with heavy action seem dull and plain, only with very high volumes (i live in an apartment with neighbors under me, so it's not by any means the solution) the sound finally filled the room (very small room, maybe 8 square meters).

When I bought the Minx 325, there was also some Monitor Audio speakers on sale, they were much bigger than the Minx (and pricier) but every day I watch a movie I think to my self I should have chosen the Monitor Audio... (they were bigger, reducing my apartment's space, but maybe I would be happy with the sound).

I will upload pictures of my setup as soon as I get home, maybe it's a location problem or something like that. Oh, I I runned the audio setup with the microphone on my Pioneer VSX924 on day one, and then every month).

Thanks and looking forward to your feedback here, after reading lot's of posts here I am almost positive I am doing something wrong...

PD: Sorry for my english!

Last edited by marto2009; 07-22-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marto2009 View Post
Hi!

I live in a small apartment and I wanted a full surround system just to see movies and play PS3/PS4. After a lot of research (online reviews and this thread) I decided to buy the Minx 325 setup --(5) MIN21 with an (1) X300 SW-- matched with a Pioneer VSX-924.

My last (and first) surround system was a Yamaha HTR-5830 HTIB, and I was kind of happy with it, so my expectations with the Minx where very high! I mean, the Minx's price was way higher than the Yamaha, and reviews were very positive on the performance on the Minx 325, specially for watching movies.

I am by no means an audiophile nor an expert in audio, but I enjoy immersive sound just as much as the next guy.

I bought and installed the system about 3 months ago, and from day 1 and was underwhelmed with the Minx's performance (and Pioneer VSX-924 for that matter). Ok, I've read the Minx's 325 need to loose up and some "break in" time, but I think 3 months is more than enough! I never forced them nor listened with a "too high" volume...

They seem to lack the performance to produce a surrounding sound, and fail to make the movies sounds powered with that gut-moving "oouuumphfff" (i dont know how to say/express it). Yes, they are better than my TV's speaker, but I thought this kind of price and fidelity was going to bring almost cinema experience. I tested it with LOTR:ROTK on bluray, and some scenes with heavy action seem dull and plain, only with very high volumes (i live in an apartment with neighbors under me, so it's not by any means the solution) the sound finally filled the room (very small room, maybe 8 square meters).

When I bought the Minx 325, there was also some Monitor Audio speakers on sale, they were much bigger than the Minx (and pricier) but every day I watch a movie I think to my self I should have chosen the Monitor Audio... (they were bigger, reducing my apartment's space, but maybe I would be happy with the sound).

I will upload pictures of my setup as soon as I get home, maybe it's a location problem or something like that. Oh, I I runned the audio setup with the microphone on my Pioneer VSX924 on day one, and then every month).

Thanks and looking forward to your feedback here, after reading lot's of posts here I am almost positive I am doing something wrong...

PD: Sorry for my english!
Hi maarto2009,

Welcome to the Min thread! Your experience was very similar to mine when I first set up my Min speakers so fear not. I can only assume that there must be a set up issue(s) of some kind whether ether be placement, calibration etc. My Mins (as that of most others) sound just incredible for their size - best I have found at their price point & I have tried a few. Due to the unique presentation of the BMR Driver, they produce a very diverse & immersive sound-field which you desire.

At this point, I would suggest a complete re-connection of the entire system - make sure everything is connected where it should be properly & with the correct polarity etc. Experiment for where the Subwoofer produces the most consistent results - play around with locations.

Next, do a thorough calibration between the speakers & subwoofer via your amp ( I know you stated you have done this a few times already) - this is very important & wrongly set parameters can make the whole thing sound wrong/bad. You need to ensure that the amp sets proper crossover settings for the speakers otherwise you will hear a gap in the sound - usually around 150hz (or higher in some cases) usually works well with the Mins. It might be an idea to get one help/advice on the speaker calibration threads to aid you - you may be required to do a calibration a few times to fine tune things over time. Jeff, the thread starter is very familiar with the Pioneer Calibration system so hopefully he can give advice on this area. Is your Mic performing as it should?

Your should probably use the LFE input of the sub - the X301 is designed to match the Mins perfectly so you should have no issues there. The sound you experience should be a Universe away from that of your TV speakers & the fact that you state it sounds "Dull & Plain" strongly suggests to me that something is not right in the set-up rather than with the Mins themselves - hopefully others will add their input & help on the matter. There are number of articles on Google on how to properly set up a Sub/Sat system & avoid many of the common pitfalls so maybe see if that might help - I read one a few days ago so if I find it again, I will provide a link for you.

Your Pioneer AVR received a "Best Buy" Award From Home Cinema Choice when it was reviewed some time ago so again, I do not expect that it too would perform poorly - both your products are "Best Buy" awarded products!

I am sure you will get it sorted & then, hopefully, you will be as happy with the Mins as the rest of us are!

Bazzy!

Last edited by Bazzy; 07-22-2015 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:38 PM

Bazzy,

Thank you very much for your reply! I will do as you told me, reconnect everything, and try to re-setup my receiver, I will definetly check the calibration forum!

I am uploading some pictures of my setup, maybe it will help to check for misplacements or anything.

Thanks again and i will report my results!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post
Hi maarto2009,

Welcome to the Min thread! Your experience was very similar to mine when I first set up my Min speakers so fear not. I can only assume that there must be a set up issue(s) of some kind whether ether be placement, calibration etc. My Mins (as that of most others) sound just incredible for their size - best I have found at their price point & I have tried a few. Due to the unique presentation of the BMR Driver, they produce a very diverse & immersive sound-field which you desire.

At this point, I would suggest a complete re-connection of the entire system - make sure everything is connected where it should be properly & with the correct polarity etc. Experiment for where the Subwoofer produces the most consistent results - play around with locations.

Next, do a thorough calibration between the speakers & subwoofer via your amp ( I know you stated you have done this a few times already) - this is very important & wrongly set parameters can make the whole thing sound wrong/bad. You need to ensure that the amp sets proper crossover settings for the speakers otherwise you will hear a gap in the sound - usually around 150hz (or higher in some cases) usually works well with the Mins. It might be an idea to get one help/advice on the speaker calibration threads to aid you - you may be required to do a calibration a few times to fine tune things over time. Jeff, the thread starter is very familiar with the Pioneer Calibration system so hopefully he can give advice on this area. Is your Mic performing as it should?

Your should probably use the LFE input of the sub - the X301 is designed to match the Mins perfectly so you should have no issues there. The sound you experience should be a Universe away from that of your TV speakers & the fact that you state it sounds "Dull & Plain" strongly suggests to me that something is not right in the set-up rather than with the Mins themselves - hopefully others will add their input & help on the matter. There are number of articles on Google on how to properly set up a Sub/Sat system & avoid many of the common pitfalls so maybe see if that might help - I read one a few days ago so if I find it again, I will provide a link for you.

Your Pioneer AVR received a "Best Buy" Award From Home Cinema Choice when it was reviewed some time ago so again, I do not expect that it too would perform poorly - both your products are "Best Buy" awarded products!

I am sure you will get it sorted & then, hopefully, you will be as happy with the Mins as the rest of us are!

Bazzy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20150321_141420.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	844338   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150321_141405.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	844346   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150321_141344.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	844354   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150321_141056.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	844362   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150321_142348.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	844370  

Name:	IMG_20150321_142343.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	844378   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150321_141033.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	844386   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150321_141731.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	844394   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150321_140502.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	844402   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150321_141723.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	844410  

Name:	IMG_20150321_140032.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	844418   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150321_141512.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	844426   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150321_140020.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	844434   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150321_141458.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	844442   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150321_140001.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	844450  

Name:	IMG_20150321_141448.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	844458   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150321_135940.jpg
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	844466   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150321_135920.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	844474   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150722_211240.jpg
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	844482   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150722_211229.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	844490  

Name:	IMG_20150722_211208.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	844498   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150722_211159.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	844506   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150722_211150.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	844514   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150330_200636.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	844522   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150321_142536.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	844538  

Name:	IMG_20150321_142430.jpg
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	844546  
Old 07-22-2015, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I can see a couple of problems right off with your setup. The surrounds are too close to your seating arrangement. You're better off getting them on the side walls, at least, 2-3 feet above your head, pointed down. Also, same goes for your L&R speakers. You either need to get them on stands or on the front wall spread apart more. Since your tv is not mounted on-wall, I highly suggest stands. Think of it as an equidistant triangle from the speakers to your listening spot/area.

For better sound, I would get the sub out of the corner and place it to the right of your television set. If all possible, I would get the sub off the floor and onto something like this. You'll achieve much better bass response and, as a bonus, your neighbors will thank you.

Last edited by Perpendicular; 07-22-2015 at 09:03 PM. Reason: spelling + added dialog
Old 07-22-2015, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This is how I have my side speakers mounted due to sitting very close to one of the side walls.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1437617036905.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	844562  
Old 07-22-2015, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just found this
from Cambridge Audio from CES 2014 that confirms that the C46 In-Ceiling speaker is indeed the same BMR that is from the Min 11/21.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Also, a quick reminder that you should turn the crossover as high as it goes on the sub and let the AVR handle the bass management.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This is how I have my side speakers mounted due to sitting very close to one of the side walls.
Hi Jeff,

Yes, I have mine pretty much exactly the same.

Bazzy!
Old 07-23-2015, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I wonder how Marto is coming along?
Old 07-24-2015, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I wonder how Marto is coming along?
marto, i have to agree with perpendicular. your speaker positions are not ideal.

change the height of your front speakers and try to open them up a bit.
@Perpendicular , i have seen the in-ceiling ones the other day i got my 22s, they are pretty nice, but there is no point of getting them until they upgrade to the 4th generation BMR.

by the way i don't get it why you guys place your speakers so high, looking at the tv, when they should be looking more like downwards to the listener's position.

Last edited by TeDeV; 07-24-2015 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Walls reinforce bass frequencies. Having the speakers sitting 2 feet from the wall reduces mid-bass, which is all-important in getting that piunchy sound you want. With the speakers that far out, the system must try to compensate by steering those missing mid-bass frequencies to the sub. If the sub is not set up properly (i.e. the crossover is not set at max, for instance), you will lose those key frequencies altogether. In addition, the position of the sub within the room is crucial in getting the most even response across the bass frequencies. If you will look up the "sub crawl" procedure on this site, you will have the means to effectively position your sub for best performance.

Also, the front speakers are too close together. Experiment with positioning them another foot or more apart until you get a broad image at your listening position. These speakers are known for their imaging characteristics, so you should look for "room filling" sound. Keep experimenting until you get it!

The rear speakers are not well positioned, either, with the sound directed at the ear of the person seated next to it. This approach does not facilitate an even coverage of the seating area. To resolve this issue, I would mount the rear speakers on the back wall, at least two feet above my head (or more) and aim them towards the opposite listening position. This approach will provide a more even coverage of the seating area. Again, experiment with differing heights, angles, and speaker width (apart) until you get a nice even soundfield for both ends of the couch.

Given that the two stands will now be freed up, you can then use them in the front of the room, positioned near the front wall (to take advantage of the mid-bass reinforcement). Adjust the height so that the speakers are at seated ear level. You will now have a lot of flexibility in positioning the speakers for best image and mid-bass response.

The center channel needs to be re-positioned, as well. Probably the best solution is to mount it on the wall above the TV, pointing it downward to your seated ear position. An alternative is to leave it on the furniture, but move it forward so that the front edge is forward of the edge of the cabinet (to reduce early reflections which muddy the sound). Another alternative is to mount the TV on the wall, just high enough to allow the center speaker to be mounted to the wall below it. However, this approach may be somewhat problematic, as the early reflections off the furniture will muddy the sound. Some sort of sound absorptive item, placed on the furniture, just below the speaker, would help a lot in this configuration.

Frankly, I do not think the system has had a fair test, given all the placement issues described above. In order for speakers to be at their best, they must be well positioned and well configured for optimum performance ... seems there is still a lot to be done in both these areas.

Start by turning off whatever room correction Pioneer uses (and any other special processing, like night mode, etc ... ) and keep it off until you have resolved all your speaker placement issues. Once all the speakers are performing at their best in your room, THEN re-run the room correction program.
Bazzy likes this.

Last edited by RayGuy; 07-24-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:17 PM

Thanks all for your replies!

It seems that I need to relocate all of my speakers to achieve better performance on my Minxs...

1-. Locating the satellites on top of the ceiling or on the side walls is kind of difficult, considering I need to "hide" the cable behind the walls or something like that. Do I have any alternative to this?
I always thought the surround speakers need to be at head level...
2-. Spreading the front speakers a little bit more and put them a little bit higher...
3-. About the subwoofer, I will try to switch sides and buy some "isolator" for it. Any recommendations? I can get the IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R200, Pyle PSi15 or the Auralex SubDude-II , which one do you recommend, any other?

4-. Finally I need to re-cable everything and re-set up my receiver with the included mic.

I will upload pictures this weekend with the new location on the speakers and maybe with a "temporary" surround speakers mounted on top of my head.

Thanks again and looking forward to your feedback!
Old 07-24-2015, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by marto2009 View Post
Thanks all for your replies!

It seems that I need to relocate all of my speakers to achieve better performance on my Minxs...

1-. Locating the satellites on top of the ceiling or on the side walls is kind of difficult, considering I need to "hide" the cable behind the walls or something like that. Do I have any alternative to this?
I always thought the surround speakers need to be at head level...
2-. Spreading the front speakers a little bit more and put them a little bit higher...
3-. About the subwoofer, I will try to switch sides and buy some "isolator" for it. Any recommendations? I can get the IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R200, Pyle PSi15 or the Auralex SubDude-II , which one do you recommend, any other?

4-. Finally I need to re-cable everything and re-set up my receiver with the included mic.

I will upload pictures this weekend with the new location on the speakers and maybe with a "temporary" surround speakers mounted on top of my head.

Thanks again and looking forward to your feedback!
1. Home Depot, Lowes, Best Buy(?) all have "racetrack", a plastic channel that attaches to the wall, hides your speaker cable and can be painted to the color of the wall. This is the inexpensive solution. Alternatively, you can open up the wall and run speaker wire (in-wall wire only!) inside the wall, however, you may need special tools, boxes, cover plates, etc .. not recommended unless you know what you are doing inside a wall.

2. Try to get them near the wall, but do play around with depth, width, and toe-in.

3. I'd go with the cheapest solution. Don't forget the "sub crawl"! One other item of note, since you will be crossing over your sub above 80 Hz, the sub will need to remain close to the main speakers, otherwise it will sound separate (and you want integration in the sound you hear).

4. Speaking of cabling, how are you currently connecting the subwoofer? What kind of cable? Just trying to get a feel for how you have it set up (and where many of the issues may lie).

Be sure to remove all the special processing the receiver is currently doing ... i.e start from scratch! If you are not sure, you might consider the "reset" procedure as described in your manual.

Be patient and trust your ears. Use well recorded music to test your system. If it sounds good with music, it will sound good with movies. Lastly, small changes in position (sometimes as little as 6" or 15 degrees of toe-in) can often make a big difference in the cohesiveness of the sound. Patience is a virtue!

Good luck! Look forward to your progress report next week.

Last edited by RayGuy; 07-24-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , cambridge audio minx min 21 , cambridge audio minx min 22 , Subwoofers