Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 77 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 31Likes
post #2281 of 2309 Unread 07-24-2015, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 33
@marto ,

Some great advice been given by the folks here! Your TV & Speakers would look great if mounted on the wall & allow you to space the speakers more ideally - can you consider that? If you do not want to chase channels for the cables in the front wall - you can simply make a front out of a large piece of MDF, cover it with a material of your choice & attached to a wooden back frame which is then attached to the vertical studs within the wall so it can support the weight. It only needs to protrude out few inches at most but it will hide everything & allow for a really nice & neat look - see basic pic attached just to give you an idea.

For the rear surround speaker cables, you can hide it in coving or there is decorative trunking just for this purpose. If your walls are hollow, there are ways you can feed the cables behind it & up to the level you want - some savvy DIY folks might be able to tell you how - I am sure I saw it done on a YT video. Easiest would probably be to run the surround cables across the top of the skirting to the very corner of the wall & up from there. There are some very low profile cables around these days - CA & QED do some - sure there will be plenty of similar options in the USA.

If you really want to, you can run the cabling behind the skirting or again, get "add on" decorative trunking just for this purpose. The Minx speaker mounts would be ideal for all your wall/ceiling mounting needs.

Bazzy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Minx Wall.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	761.7 KB
ID:	847746  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2282 of 2309 Unread 07-24-2015, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 43
It's okay to leave his center speaker where it's at. Though, I would suggest that he pull it to the edge. And, don't be afraid to place your L&R speakers up higher with pointing them down to the listening area. Plus, even though it's okay to install them on a wall, I would suggest you keep the front satellite speakers on stands away from the wall. They will sound better. Unless, you've owned these speakers and have tried them in every configuration as I have, you really can't begin to understand the BMR and the Minx satellite speakers.

Btw, I'd suggest the IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R200. I use one on my main sub and I'm thinking about getting the ISO-L8R155 for my bass modules (smaller subs). It's works and looks good too.

Last edited by Perpendicular; 07-24-2015 at 09:25 PM.
post #2283 of 2309 Unread 07-25-2015, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is my subwoofer sitting on the IsoAcoustics stand.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1437852826156.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	849802  
post #2284 of 2309 Unread 07-25-2015, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post
Here is my subwoofer sitting on the IsoAcoustics stand.
Hi Jeff,

It's amazing how near identical your Sunfire Sub is visually to the two REL Q200E's I had - brings back fond memories!! I really wish I could have kept them but they just did not allow for a high enough crossover point with the Min's!

Do you use the Sunfire with the Min's at all?

Bazzy!
post #2285 of 2309 Unread 07-25-2015, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post
Hi Jeff,

It's amazing how near identical your Sunfire Sub is visually to the two REL Q200E's I had - brings back fond memories!! I really wish I could have kept them but they just did not allow for a high enough crossover point with the Min's!

Do you use the Sunfire with the Min's at all?

Bazzy!
The closest subwoofer to mimic the Sunfire True Subwoofer was a model by Velodyne for which they got taken to court over. Unfortunately, Sunfire lost that case.

Yes, I use it Most of the time. I'm thinking about reconfiguring my setup. So, not sure if it will stay but, most likely, yes because I may look at acquiring another True Sub MKII.
post #2286 of 2309 Unread 07-25-2015, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I finally got around to writing my Amazon review for the Min 22 speakers. I don't see it live yet but, hopefully, this link will lead you to what I wrote. http://www.amazon.com/review/R2GB5RJPR6MCCQ

I want to thank the dealer that I purchased them at through Amazon, Dedicated Audio. The staff there was prompt and courteous in answering all my questions. So, I chose to make my purchase with them.
post #2287 of 2309 Unread 07-25-2015, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It finally went live with it's 5-Star rating.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o06_s01
post #2288 of 2309 Unread 07-26-2015, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks again!

I moved the subwoofer to the right side. About the subwoofer isolator, it seems that in my country (i dont live in USA) I can only get the Auralex SubDude II so I am going with that instead of the IsoAcoustics.

Also I found where to buy the Minx 400M wall mount for my Minxs so I am going to buy them and mount them on my wall so see how they sound. Cable management will be a second stage. With the rear satellites wall mounted I will bring the front ones with the stands and open them a bit.

I am uploading a pictures of how my subwoofer is connected to my receiver. I am using a Mediabridge cable.

Is it possible the crossover adjustment on my subwoofer does not change anything? Because from my understanding the receiver is sending the low frequencies to the subwoofer but the woofer only "plays them". The crossover on my receiver is on 150hz.-

Thanks again! And I will keep you posted with the advancement .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20150725_131755.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	851970   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150725_132354.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	851978   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150725_133258.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	851986  
Perpendicular likes this.
post #2289 of 2309 Unread 07-26-2015, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marto2009 View Post
Is it possible the crossover adjustment on my subwoofer does not change anything? Because from my understanding the receiver is sending the low frequencies to the subwoofer but the woofer only "plays them". The crossover on my receiver is on 150hz.

There would be a problem if your AVR's crossover is set at 150 Hz and your Sub's Crossover dial is set lower than that frequency. It would create a gap, or hole in those frequencies. I would double check that the crossover dial on the Sub is, in fact, turned all the way up.
post #2290 of 2309 Unread 07-26-2015, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Marto,

Looking at the photo of your center channel speaker, I noticed you are not using a stand. I would recommend a stand or, better still, wall mounting the speaker above the television. If music is not a priority, you may want to think about wall mounting all your speakers. You could hide / route most of the the speakers wires / cables behind your television.
post #2291 of 2309 Unread 07-26-2015, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm in the process of rearranging the front speakers. So far, I've changed speaker stands for L&R and have placed the Min 22's horizontally which is not a big deal. It looks a bit different so I changed the center channel speaker back to horizontal placement too after having it vertical for a few days. I'm going to try moving the bass modules back to the ground but having a problem because the dog likes to throw his bone around the living room and guess where it ends up?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1437931044237.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	852034   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1437931076775.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	852042  
post #2292 of 2309 Unread 07-26-2015, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeDeV View Post
...by the way i don't get it why you guys place your speakers so high, looking at the tv, when they should be looking more like downwards to the listener's position.

Not sure who you were referencing here but my side surround speakers are pointed toward my listening area, not the front of the room. Although, even if they were and dependant on angle, it probably would be okay because of the dispersion characteristics of the BMR.
post #2293 of 2309 Unread 07-26-2015, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I done did it!!!

I'm taking delivery of the Min 12 in white on Wednesday to use as my side surround speakers. Before I hook them up for that application, I will test them out up front and compare them to the Min 22. Also, I ordered a pair of the IsoAcoustic stands for my bass modules so I can move them back down to the floor.
post #2294 of 2309 Unread 07-26-2015, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
This is how I have my side speakers mounted due to sitting very close to one of the side walls.
i was talking about this picture... but now i realize that you sit on the chair and not the couch

by they way.... do you actually use 3 subs? i can see the two X300? and the one sub behind the couch
post #2295 of 2309 Unread 07-26-2015, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
I'm taking delivery of the Min 12 in white on Wednesday to use as my side surround speakers. Before I hook them up for that application, I will test them out up front and compare them to the Min 22. Also, I ordered a pair of the IsoAcoustic stands for my bass modules so I can move them back down to the floor.
Pics or it didn't happened lol!
post #2296 of 2309 Unread 07-26-2015, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeDeV View Post
i was talking about this picture... but now i realize that you sit on the chair and not the couch

by they way.... do you actually use 3 subs? i can see the two X300? and the one sub behind the couch
When I watch movies with my roommate, one of us is always on our backside, on the couch, facing the tv and the other one uses the chair.

I've decided to remove the 3rd bigger sub because, once I move the other subs back down to the floor, I'll have nowhere to put it. Everything needs to be setup along the front wall and it's kind of stupid (in the aesthetic department) having two different make / model subs sitting next to each other.

Sorry, I do not have the Cambridge Audio X300 subs. Two reasons. The main reason was cost difference. I grabbed my two subs on closeout and the other reason was I like the fact I can remove the subs crossover completely. Unlike, the Cambridge subs where it's at the maximum 200 Hz setting.
post #2297 of 2309 Unread 07-26-2015, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Sorry, I do not have the Cambridge Audio X300 subs. Two reasons. The main reason was cost difference. I grabbed my two subs on closeout and the other reason was I like the fact I can remove the subs crossover completely. Unlike, the Cambridge subs where it's at the maximum 200 Hz setting.
Darn you and your Energy subs....I missed that closeout by just a couple of months, I'd have picked up a couple too at those prices.
post #2298 of 2309 Unread 07-26-2015, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
There would be a problem if your AVR's crossover is set at 150 Hz and your Sub's Crossover dial is set lower than that frequency. It would create a gap, or hole in those frequencies. I would double check that the crossover dial on the Sub is, in fact, turned all the way up.
To 11?

Seriously, the OP should have the crossover on the sub turned as far up as it will go. The crossover on the receiver should be set below that setting, whatever it is.

Last edited by RayGuy; 07-26-2015 at 03:54 PM.
post #2299 of 2309 Unread 07-26-2015, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am about to purchase a basic system.

I will be using an old Acura amplifier for my system.

I see that there is a new subwoofer X301, is there a difference between X300 and X301? I see that there is a huge difference in pricing. Coupled with that, I will be buying the min 22.

I will be using most of it for music.

Or would you recommend a different brand for subwoofer?

My budget will be around $800-900
post #2300 of 2309 Unread 07-26-2015, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkd View Post
I am about to purchase a basic system.

I will be using an old Acura amplifier for my system.

I see that there is a new subwoofer X301, is there a difference between X300 and X301? I see that there is a huge difference in pricing. Coupled with that, I will be buying the min 22.

I will be using most of it for music.

Or would you recommend a different brand for subwoofer?

My budget will be around $800-900
That's a good question regarding sub model differences. If there are, I'm not seeing it. My recommendation would be to get a reduced priced X300 and save some money.

There are different subs you can use but to be on the safe side, I would stick with one of the Cambridge Audio models unless you want something that digs really deep in the lower frequency range.

Also, I'd recommend a good AVR for bass management and possibly room correction built in.

Last edited by Perpendicular; 07-26-2015 at 10:20 PM.
post #2301 of 2309 Unread 07-26-2015, 10:54 PM

[quote=Perpendicular;36057794]That's a good question regarding sub model differences. If there are, I'm not seeing it. My recommendation would be to get a reduced priced X300 and save some money.

There are different subs you can use but to be on the safe side, I would stick with one of the Cambridge Audio models unless you want something that digs really deep in the lower frequency range.

Also, I'd recommend a good AVR for bass management and possibly room correction built in.

Thanks for such a quick reply.

I was initially going for Orb SubOne with MOD2 coupled with their Mini-T amp. Honestly, I think the orbs sounded pretty good for the money. My father owns old B&W Matrix system and I have listened to quite a lot of different amps and speakers and Orbs weren't that bad considering the price.

However, as I was researching to buy the orbs, Minx Min speakers kept coming up and people were saying how good they sounded.

So my dillema is, think they would sound OK with my current mini-T amp? (My old acurus system turns out to be a 2 way, not 2.1) I will eventually buy a good AVR along the road maybe in 3~4 months.

Oh one more question. I loved the SUbOne from the Orb, do you think the Minx x300 is going to be at par? It is smaller compared to the SubOne.

What do you suggest? Anybody else's 2 cents welcome.
post #2302 of 2309 Unread Yesterday, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by marto2009 View Post
Thanks again!

I moved the subwoofer to the right side. About the subwoofer isolator, it seems that in my country (i dont live in USA) I can only get the Auralex SubDude II so I am going with that instead of the IsoAcoustics.

Also I found where to buy the Minx 400M wall mount for my Minxs so I am going to buy them and mount them on my wall so see how they sound. Cable management will be a second stage. With the rear satellites wall mounted I will bring the front ones with the stands and open them a bit.

I am uploading a pictures of how my subwoofer is connected to my receiver. I am using a Mediabridge cable.

Is it possible the crossover adjustment on my subwoofer does not change anything? Because from my understanding the receiver is sending the low frequencies to the subwoofer but the woofer only "plays them". The crossover on my receiver is on 150hz.-

Thanks again! And I will keep you posted with the advancement .
Hi marto2009,

If no one has said so, welcome back to AVS!

RayGuy and Perpendicular has given some great advise on good speaker setup. This is the fundamentals of sound reproduction. Since you're going with the basic 5.1 setup, have a look at the following diagrams.

5.1 setup:
Note the angles between the Main Listening Position (MLP) and the speakers. Good imaging will occur if these angles are maintained.

Side view of speakers:

If you haven't done so, try out the sub crawl as demonstrated in the following youtube video by Axiom Audio.

There's going to be a few locations, so try out the one that sounds the best. The idea is to get minimize seat to seat variance in the bass response.

Once the sub is in it's optimal place, check it's settings. What are the current settings on the plate amp of your sub? What you want to do accomplish is a smooth transition between the satellites (Min21) and the sub (X301) so that the full range signals from the source can be reproduced. Your Pioneer receiver is unique in that there can only be one crossover point for all the satellites, this is a design choice by the receiver manufacturer. Perpendicular recommends the crossover to be around 150Hz, so try that out first on the receiver - you can always adjust it later on to what you like.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4) & 10x10HD, Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.

Last edited by steveting99; Yesterday at 12:52 AM. Reason: typo
post #2303 of 2309 Unread Yesterday, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkd View Post

Thanks for such a quick reply.

I was initially going for Orb SubOne with MOD2 coupled with their Mini-T amp. Honestly, I think the orbs sounded pretty good for the money. My father owns old B&W Matrix system and I have listened to quite a lot of different amps and speakers and Orbs weren't that bad considering the price.

However, as I was researching to buy the orbs, Minx Min speakers kept coming up and people were saying how good they sounded.

So my dillema is, think they would sound OK with my current mini-T amp? (My old acurus system turns out to be a 2 way, not 2.1) I will eventually buy a good AVR along the road maybe in 3~4 months.

Oh one more question. I loved the SUbOne from the Orb, do you think the Minx x300 is going to be at par? It is smaller compared to the SubOne.

What do you suggest? Anybody else's 2 cents welcome.
Personally, I know nothing about the Orb Subs. When I get the time tomorrow evening, I will go check the SubOne out to see if it would compatible with the Min 22. Unless, someone else beats me to it.
post #2304 of 2309 Unread Today, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got a chance to check out the SubOne. Looking at the frequency response, it looks like it will be okay using it with the Minx satellite speakers. You could always send it back if it doesn't work out.

Last edited by Perpendicular; Today at 06:30 AM.
post #2305 of 2309 Unread Today, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Personally, I know nothing about the Orb Subs. When I get the time tomorrow evening, I will go check the SubOne out to see if it would compatible with the Min 22. Unless, someone else beats me to it.
A true, dedicated audiophile!
post #2306 of 2309 Unread Today, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I got a chance to check out the SubOne. Looking at the frequency response, it looks like it will be okay using it with the Minx satellite speakers. You could always send it back if it doesn't work out.
Wow, talk about owning the thread

So, while i did like the SubOne, I found out that SVS SB-1000 was the same price.

So I have ordered me a SVS SB-1000. I here it matches great with the Cambridge audio Minx min series.

I will post when everything gets here. Hopefully in the next week or so.

And as an experiment, I will be using 36W(18W each) Mini T amp for a small compact audio system. I will try not to go too loud as it might damage the speakers.
post #2307 of 2309 Unread Today, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good decision on going with the SVS sub.

When I used to own an Orb Audio speaker system (seems like so years ago now) and before I purchased my very first AVR, I used to use the Trends Audio T-amps and they sounded pretty good. In fact, so good for the application I was using them in, I went from using one amp to two amps (one per channel). Then, I purchased more speakers created a 7.1 system with five amps. Eventually, I thought 5.1 was enough and settled with that configuration. About a year or so later, I felt that it was time to purchase a receiver because I was interested in room correction.
post #2308 of 2309 Unread Today, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My IsoAcoustic stands arrived today. I was wondering how I was going to place the subs back on the floor. After assembling the stands, I noticed I didn't need to and kept them right where they were. They look and sound great!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1438137147041.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	856834   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1438137196604.jpg
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	856842  

Last edited by Perpendicular; Today at 07:33 PM.
post #2309 of 2309 Unread Today, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And, look what else arrived?!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1438137280972.jpg
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	856850  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , Subwoofers , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page