Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 78 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

post #2311 of 2319 Old 07-31-2015, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 43
If I owned my home, I would definitely run the speaker wire inside the wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2319 Old 07-31-2015, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
minx is Jinx

Hey Guys

Just my experience with these speakers. Bought a Denon avr 2312 and needed speakers. So I purchased 3 of the minx 20's. Got the amp and speakers home and proceeded to unpack and setup. I used the trio of speakers as front setup. Left, right and center. I was also running a Wharfdale ten inch subwoofer with the speakers.

My initial impression was great they handled music and movies quite well. After about 4 to 6 months of use I found myself having to turn up the sound in order to hear dialogue from the center channel. I would say about two thirds volume of the amp. Eventually, over time this caused the amp to overheat and shut down. The speakers grew increasingly less responsive. Finally nothing was coming from the speakers at all.

My old Denon amp upstairs gave up so I purchased a Yamaha RX-A750. Took my Denon 2312 upstairs, hooked it up to an old pair of Pioneer tower speakers with a paradigm center and a quest subwoofer and it works just fine. Heading back downstairs I hooked the Cambridge speakers and wharfdale sub back up to my Yammy amp and got nothing but muffled thumps and booms from the sub. I do however get a signal through the headphones and the sound comes through load and clear.

Like my handle says I am not an expert, it is just my experience. By the way this forum is a great source of reference material for my future audio/video purchases. Thanks to all for your valuable input.
post #2313 of 2319 Old 07-31-2015, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^ It sounds like you were maxing the speakers out at a much lower crossover setting than recommended. Or, way too much volume. I only had a problem with one of my Min 10's when I set the crossover at 100 Hz and played them at high volume. Well, I never did that again.

And, may I remind everyone of this video using a pair of Min 10's.

post #2314 of 2319 Old Today, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Minx20

Thanks Perpendicular

I thought the crossover freq was around 85 sound the sub could take over all the lows. Which takes the load off the speakers. One of the problems with the Cambridge speakers. Was the center channel not playing the dialogue loud enough during a movie. Forcing me to ask more of the amp. This where I ran into problems.
post #2315 of 2319 Old Today, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosoundtekhere View Post
Thanks Perpendicular

I thought the crossover freq was around 85 sound the sub could take over all the lows. Which takes the load off the speakers. One of the problems with the Cambridge speakers. Was the center channel not playing the dialogue loud enough during a movie. Forcing me to ask more of the amp. This where I ran into problems.

Where are you setting the crossover frequency? The sub or an AVR? It should be at either 140 or 150 Hz. Otherwise, you are creating a 'hole' in the frequency response.
post #2316 of 2319 Old Today, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Also, make sure you turn the crossover control knob on your sub all the way up.
post #2317 of 2319 Old Today, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hey Jeff,
Glad to see you are back and that you went to the trouble "again" to upgrade to the new minx min22's. I have been hiding here on the side, but not too much as I have been busy with things.

I honestly was about to pull the trigger on the Paradigm Milleniaone's, (5 of them) and do a SVS sb-1000 sub. I really liked the look, build quality and sound of the Paradigms and I felt (right or wrong) that they were a bit better than the Minx 21's. I decided to check back here before I purchased to see if anything was happening. I have always liked the fact that the Mins have such a wide dispersion field...wider than most convention speakers. I knew that CA upped the minx to the 22's but I could not see any reviews and like you I was skeptical about any benefits.
After reading your review and summation of what you have heard I am rethinking my purchase...........again!

I will have to check with my dealer to see what they can be had for!!!

Anyway....thanks for your review and observations! As stated before, CA should do something for you and the effort you have put in with their product which has probably increased their sales! Don't hold your breath though buddy!
post #2318 of 2319 Old Today, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Mac!

If you were going from the Min 20 to the Min 21, I'd say forget it. Now, going from the Min 21 to the Min 22 is another story. If you liked the Min 21 and wanted something more, definitely upgrade to the Min 22. Overall, if you're looking at a larger scale than what the Minx can give you, look elsewhere but I still feel you will not find anything that will sound like the Minx satellites. Maybe, their own Aero and Aeromax line.

On second thought, maybe you should get both and do a comparison?

Last edited by Perpendicular; Today at 01:47 PM. Reason: spelling and added dialog
post #2319 of 2319 Old Today, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I found this customer review on Richer Sounds regarding the Aero 6 that uses the Min 11 / 21 BMR. I only Posted the part I feel is very interesting. Especially, the comment regarding the Magneplanar panel speakers for which I commented on previously.

Quote:
Have been using the Cambridge Aero 6 floorstanders (dark walnut) for just over 2 weeks. These speakers need a lot of running in, even after a week of heavy use, they were still improving. The bmr treble/mid unit is where the changes are, initially sounding quite coarse and dull but gradually becoming more open and detailed. On first listen, the Aero 6 have very little in the way of dynamics or detail but after a couple of weeks, they sound very open and detailed, more dynamic with a precise soundstage. Vocals are amazingly clear
I used to have Magneplanar 1.4 panel speakers, and these rival them for the ability to set up a big sonic picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , Subwoofers , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page