Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 78 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 31Likes
post #2311 of 2329 Old 07-31-2015, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 43
If I owned my home, I would definitely run the speaker wire inside the wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2329 Old 07-31-2015, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
minx is Jinx

Hey Guys

Just my experience with these speakers. Bought a Denon avr 2312 and needed speakers. So I purchased 3 of the minx 20's. Got the amp and speakers home and proceeded to unpack and setup. I used the trio of speakers as front setup. Left, right and center. I was also running a Wharfdale ten inch subwoofer with the speakers.

My initial impression was great they handled music and movies quite well. After about 4 to 6 months of use I found myself having to turn up the sound in order to hear dialogue from the center channel. I would say about two thirds volume of the amp. Eventually, over time this caused the amp to overheat and shut down. The speakers grew increasingly less responsive. Finally nothing was coming from the speakers at all.

My old Denon amp upstairs gave up so I purchased a Yamaha RX-A750. Took my Denon 2312 upstairs, hooked it up to an old pair of Pioneer tower speakers with a paradigm center and a quest subwoofer and it works just fine. Heading back downstairs I hooked the Cambridge speakers and wharfdale sub back up to my Yammy amp and got nothing but muffled thumps and booms from the sub. I do however get a signal through the headphones and the sound comes through load and clear.

Like my handle says I am not an expert, it is just my experience. By the way this forum is a great source of reference material for my future audio/video purchases. Thanks to all for your valuable input.
post #2313 of 2329 Old 07-31-2015, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^ It sounds like you were maxing the speakers out at a much lower crossover setting than recommended. Or, way too much volume. I only had a problem with one of my Min 10's when I set the crossover at 100 Hz and played them at high volume. Well, I never did that again.

And, may I remind everyone of this video using a pair of Min 10's.

post #2314 of 2329 Old 08-02-2015, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Minx20

Thanks Perpendicular

I thought the crossover freq was around 85 sound the sub could take over all the lows. Which takes the load off the speakers. One of the problems with the Cambridge speakers. Was the center channel not playing the dialogue loud enough during a movie. Forcing me to ask more of the amp. This where I ran into problems.
post #2315 of 2329 Old 08-02-2015, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosoundtekhere View Post
Thanks Perpendicular

I thought the crossover freq was around 85 sound the sub could take over all the lows. Which takes the load off the speakers. One of the problems with the Cambridge speakers. Was the center channel not playing the dialogue loud enough during a movie. Forcing me to ask more of the amp. This where I ran into problems.

Where are you setting the crossover frequency? The sub or an AVR? It should be at either 140 or 150 Hz. Otherwise, you are creating a 'hole' in the frequency response.
post #2316 of 2329 Old 08-02-2015, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Also, make sure you turn the crossover control knob on your sub all the way up.
post #2317 of 2329 Old 08-02-2015, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hey Jeff,
Glad to see you are back and that you went to the trouble "again" to upgrade to the new minx min22's. I have been hiding here on the side, but not too much as I have been busy with things.

I honestly was about to pull the trigger on the Paradigm Milleniaone's, (5 of them) and do a SVS sb-1000 sub. I really liked the look, build quality and sound of the Paradigms and I felt (right or wrong) that they were a bit better than the Minx 21's. I decided to check back here before I purchased to see if anything was happening. I have always liked the fact that the Mins have such a wide dispersion field...wider than most convention speakers. I knew that CA upped the minx to the 22's but I could not see any reviews and like you I was skeptical about any benefits.
After reading your review and summation of what you have heard I am rethinking my purchase...........again!

I will have to check with my dealer to see what they can be had for!!!

Anyway....thanks for your review and observations! As stated before, CA should do something for you and the effort you have put in with their product which has probably increased their sales! Don't hold your breath though buddy!
post #2318 of 2329 Old 08-02-2015, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Mac!

If you were going from the Min 20 to the Min 21, I'd say forget it. Now, going from the Min 21 to the Min 22 is another story. If you liked the Min 21 and wanted something more, definitely upgrade to the Min 22. Overall, if you're looking at a larger scale than what the Minx can give you, look elsewhere but I still feel you will not find anything that will sound like the Minx satellites. Maybe, their own Aero and Aeromax line.

On second thought, maybe you should get both and do a comparison?

Last edited by Perpendicular; 08-02-2015 at 01:47 PM. Reason: spelling and added dialog
post #2319 of 2329 Old 08-02-2015, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I found this customer review on Richer Sounds regarding the Aero 6 that uses the Min 11 / 21 BMR. I only Posted the part I feel is very interesting. Especially, the comment regarding the Magneplanar panel speakers for which I commented on previously.

Quote:
Have been using the Cambridge Aero 6 floorstanders (dark walnut) for just over 2 weeks. These speakers need a lot of running in, even after a week of heavy use, they were still improving. The bmr treble/mid unit is where the changes are, initially sounding quite coarse and dull but gradually becoming more open and detailed. On first listen, the Aero 6 have very little in the way of dynamics or detail but after a couple of weeks, they sound very open and detailed, more dynamic with a precise soundstage. Vocals are amazingly clear
I used to have Magneplanar 1.4 panel speakers, and these rival them for the ability to set up a big sonic picture.
post #2320 of 2329 Old 08-03-2015, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosoundtekhere View Post
Thanks Perpendicular

Hi Nosoundtekhere,

If no one has said so, welcome to AVS!

It's important to match whatever sub you have with the Minx speakers. This is due to the physical size of the Minx drivers and their inability to reproduce the full range signals from a source, such as a movie soundtrack. The Minx speakers will struggle with frequencies from 150Hz downwards, so it's better to hand off these frequencies to the sub which has a much bigger driver that can cleanly reproduce the last 2.5 octaves down to say 20Hz. This is called bass management which is implemented at the receiver via an electronic crossover frequency that is adjustable by the end user.

Check with your sub supplier if it is capable to reproduce signals up to 200Hz. If it is, then you're good to go with matching up with the Minx speakers.

There are other issues to look at when it comes to bass such as room modes, placement, etc. and these can be looked at later. The first thing is to match the sub with Minx.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4) & 10x10HD, Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
post #2321 of 2329 Old 08-03-2015, 03:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post
Now, going from the Min 21 to the Min 22 is another story. If you liked the Min 21 and wanted something more, definitely upgrade to the Min 22.
I'm using Minx21 as center and surround L+R (Minx XL as front L+R, had 21's there too but I like the XL's more for music, more depth).
Do you consider upgrading the center to a 22 as an upgrade which makes sense and justifies the 150euro cost? Will I notice the difference blindfolded?
post #2322 of 2329 Old 08-03-2015, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefimke View Post
I'm using Minx21 as center and surround L+R (Minx XL as front L+R, had 21's there too but I like the XL's more for music, more depth).

Not sure what a Minx XL is. Perhaps, the size difference between the two models?

Quote:
Do you consider upgrading the center to a 22 as an upgrade which makes sense and justifies the 150euro cost?

Vocals / voices should be clearer and more up front. Do I recommend an upgrade? Yes / no. If a Min 21 is working just fine, I'd say no. If you want to match all you other Minx speakers with the same model, I say, yes. I know I will eventually upgrade my center channel speaker with the Min 22. Maybe, you should wait for my review.

Quote:
Will I notice the difference blindfolded?

You should.
post #2323 of 2329 Old 08-03-2015, 11:03 AM

Cool

Quote:
Hi Mac!

If you were going from the Min 20 to the Min 21, I'd say forget it. Now, going from the Min 21 to the Min 22 is another story. If you liked the Min 21 and wanted something more, definitely upgrade to the Min 22. Overall, if you're looking at a larger scale than what the Minx can give you, look elsewhere but I still feel you will not find anything that will sound like the Minx satellites. Maybe, their own Aero and Aeromax line.

On second thought, maybe you should get both and do a comparison?
I really only heard the min20's side-by-side with the milleniaone's and I felt the milleniaones' were better......not a great deal but better. It could be the 20's were not broken in or the Mo's were better to my ears. Now that the 22's are available I think my original observation may be changed. I'm gonna call the dealer I went to and see if they have the 22's yet...and if they are set up. I will be in their area this week so I'll see...........I'm hoping they have them and they are set up!!!
As for your other recommendation,,, not for me. I want a small footprint. Not listening to music these days like the old maxell commercial anymore (they will be for video as well). I have grown a bit more refined and move about the home more these days. I would like a more balanced tone off axis. LOL
post #2324 of 2329 Old 08-03-2015, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I installed my new Tower speakers tonight. I got tired of the old setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1438661033806.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	867898  
post #2325 of 2329 Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM

Quote:
I installed my new Tower speakers tonight. I got tired of the old setup.
Funny!!!!

post #2326 of 2329 Old Yesterday, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi again! Just a quick question!

I have the Minx S325 v2, still solving some "location" issues.

But... I have the chance to buy a Minx 212 v2 (two Min 11 and one X200 sub) very cheap... around USD$130.- Do you think the will work for a "height" channel and "dual sub" or is not recommended to mix the Minxes?

Mixin the X300 and the X200 subwoofers is OK? Or is not recommended?

Looking forward to your reply!

Last edited by marto2009; Yesterday at 03:26 PM.
post #2327 of 2329 Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marto2009 View Post

But... I have the chance to buy a Minx 212 v2 (two Min 11 and one X200 sub) very cheap... around USD$130.- Do you think the will work for a "height" channel and "dual sub" or is not recommended to mix the Minxes?

You can mix the Minx satellites okay. I'm not sure I would mix the subwoofer models. Though, I have heard that it's been done. If it were me and I was mixes subs, I would have 2 + 2, not 1 + 1. In this way, you could spread the bass out more evenly with having four subs on opposing walls. The other problem with this scenario is the higher crossover of the Minx system in play here and localization. I feel, you're better off having two subs of the same model along the front wall like I do. Then, maybe, adding one or two true subs to cover 40-20 Hz on opposing walls.

Maybe, someone with more sub knowledge will give their 2 cents worth.
post #2328 of 2329 Unread Yesterday, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:

Hi marto2009,

Having more than one sub is more beneficial as it will smooth out the bass response within the room.

Having multiple subs of the same make and model is better as integration is a bit of a challenge compared to just one sub. The output and phase response from different sub manufacturers' make it difficult to for them to play nicely together.

Without measurements, I'm just guessing here. Since you're going with Cambridge Audio and using the X series of subs, they should be similar in terms of design and hence differ only in the output. Integrating two X300 subs would be better than say an X300 + X200, it just means more work for you.

Since the X200 is the weaker sub, this should be placed nearer to the Main Listening Position (MLP) as it wont have to work so hard. The larger X300 would have to be placed at the front wall where the M11 are located as the crossover frequency will be much higher. What you want to do is gain match the two subs so that at any listening level, both are working within their design range and the smaller unit is not hitting the limits of it's output. Do this, once you have the placement for both subs sorted out and gives the best seat to seat response at the MLP.

Do you have Audyssey XT32 with sub EQ HT? On the back of the pre/pro/receiver are outputs for two independent sub channels. This type of room correction will set the level and distance for each sub and then time align them for a combined response. It sure makes life a bit easier. If you don't have this, then get ready to roll up the sleeves and jump down the rabbit hole.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4) & 10x10HD, Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
post #2329 of 2329 Unread Today, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:

I would think of the Min 11s + the x200 "sub" as a single speaker pair. In other words, the channels that it serves would be treated like a pair of nearly full range speakers. Then you can cross over those channels to the x300 (used as a true subwoofer) at 50Hz, or thereabouts.

The x200 would need to be positioned near the min 11s (in the rear of the room) to minimize any mid-bass localization issues that would be present with the high crossover point and to present a more coherent soundfield. The x300 would need to be positioned near the front speakers, for the same reason (because you would be crossing over to it at a frequency higher than 80Hz).

In this way, both subs can perform their duties, for their respective channel sets without getting in each other's way. The only frequencies they will share would be the ones below 50Hz, which are not localizable frequencies.

You may need to play with the placement of both subs to work best within the room and with each other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , Subwoofers , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page