Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #211 of 1936 Old 11-19-2011, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
After a quick listen, room correction and Subwoofers off, I've come to the conclusion that, yes, the Min 20 is a better speaker (this was an Elton John vocal from GBYBR, center channel isolated). The vocal sounded like it was more anchored with the Min 10, and more expanded (away from) with the 20. Also, the vocal sounded clearer. I'd love to hear how two Min 20's would sound linked together.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 1936 Old 11-19-2011, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

After a quick listen, room correction and Subwoofers off, I've come to the conclusion that, yes, the Min 20 is a better speaker (this was an Elton John vocal from GBYBR, center channel isolated). The vocal sounded like it was more anchored with the Min 10, and more expanded (away from) with the 20. Also, the vocal sounded clearer. I'd love to hear how two Min 20's would sound linked together.

From everything I'd read I expected the 20 to be fuller and more satisfying.

So you're experimenting now with three 20s in front, and two 10s in the rear?
post #213 of 1936 Old 11-20-2011, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No. For now, I only have one Min 20 used for the center channel. I was testing between one 10 and one 20 to compare the two. Then, I got busy with installing two Min 10's for the side surrounds. It took me several hours. Yes, so far, the Min 20 is fuller, more satisfying and better looking.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #214 of 1936 Old 11-20-2011, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm glad to hear that you can hear a difference perpendicular, i think that i will have min20s as my rears just for better cohesion as opposed to min10s which i was considering.
post #215 of 1936 Old 11-20-2011, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiedee View Post

I'm glad to hear that you can hear a difference perpendicular, i think that i will have min20s as my rears just for better cohesion as opposed to min10s which i was considering.

Last night, I was listening to 5.1 surround music and was thinking the same thing. I may, eventually, upgrade the surrounds too, and move a pair of the Min 10's to height duty when I upgrade my AVR in the future. There is something about the Min 20 that I haven't yet put my finger on. It will probably take replacing my L&R before I figure it out. Right now, the Min 20 sounds like more than twice the speaker. I would love to hear a Min 40 and would probably pay the price for one but we'll probably never see such a model come to fruition. Gotta love these BMR drivers. They're something special.

Has anyone removed their grills and listened yet. I noticed that since I've set my crossover to 200 hz, it's not as dramatic but there seems to be a bit more air with the sound. I never did like speaker grills but I like the looks of the Minx better with them on. Plus, it's safer too.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #216 of 1936 Old 11-20-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... Right now, the Min 20 sounds like more than twice the speaker. I would love to hear a Min 40 and would probably pay the price for one but we'll probably never see such a model come to fruition. Gotta love these BMR drivers. They're something special.

Stands to reason with the effectively larger radiating area of the combined drivers. And, although I'm no audio engineer, I don't think that the wiring to the two BMRs constitutes a crossover, so I don't see the downside to the parallel arrangement of the Min 20.
post #217 of 1936 Old 11-20-2011, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

...although I'm no audio engineer, I don't think that the wiring to the two BMRs constitutes a crossover, so I don't see the downside to the parallel arrangement of the Min 20.

Don't get me thinking!

I may be tempted to open up the Min 20 to have a look-see and take some photos like I did with the Min 10.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #218 of 1936 Old 11-20-2011, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't get me thinking!

I may be tempted to open up the Min 20 to have a look-see and take some photos like I did with the Min 10.

I was really just pointing out that the Min 20 was a logical step that did not compromise the virtues of the BMR. As you are the pioneering Minx man on this thread, all of this might spur you on to....a Wall of Minxes.

The more spatial, slightly less anchored sound, is also logical as the single BMR is a tight, single point source, whereas two radiators acting as one probably still have a slight bias right at the center of each BMR.

And of course you might have impedance issues...Rock (or Classical, or Jazz, or Blue Grass) On!
post #219 of 1936 Old 11-20-2011, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Stands to reason with the effectively larger radiating area of the combined drivers.

I've heard the difference when combining drivers before such as in the Orb Mod1 & Mod2 series. It's more than just adding another driver with the Min 20. It may be the cabinet. I bet if I linked two Min 10's together, they wouldn't sound like a Min 20, but that's a guess.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #220 of 1936 Old 11-20-2011, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Of course you might have impedance issues...

I was told about this but there wasn't any problems when using the Orb Mod2 or Mod4 this way. Though, the Orbs did not have any type of crossover or such inside. This may be the difference between the two designs.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #221 of 1936 Old 11-20-2011, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've heard the difference when combining drivers before such as in the Orb Mod1 & Mod2 series. It's more than just adding another driver with the Min 20. It may be the cabinet. I bet if I linked two Min 10's together, they wouldn't sound like a Min 20, but that's a guess.

I'll bet that the precise alignment of the two BMRs is more important than the cabinets. There's so little material there it would seem to me the engineers would give priority to neutrality...to designing cabinets that didn't add to the sound, which qualities were deriving mostly from the drivers. And probably to the precision and integrity with which the enclosures suspend the BMR.

But I'm just guessing. And I haven't even heard the damn things. Cambridge Audio, where art thou?
post #222 of 1936 Old 11-20-2011, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, this is what I didn't like about Orb's modular approach.
When putting several Orbs together, I noticed that the drivers were never in alignment.

Yes, go on and purchase a system already!

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #223 of 1936 Old 11-20-2011, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just Posted a very short blurb on Amazon (Min 20) directing potential purchasers or owners to this Thread.
Hopefully, this will spark some interest and more consumer reviews here on AVS.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #224 of 1936 Old 11-20-2011, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, this is what I didn't like about Orb's modular approach.
When putting several Orbs together, I noticed that the drivers were never in alignment.

Yes, go on and purchase a system already!

My situation is complex, but I'd definitely like to try them with a capable receiver...a midrange receiver with high end performance. Some of the Pioneers look quite nice.

When speaking of the cabinets I should add rigidity to the mix. Keeping all vibrations under control except for the output of the BMRs is my uneducated guess.
post #225 of 1936 Old 11-20-2011, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My situation is complex, but I'd definitely like to try them with a capable receiver...a midrange receiver with high end performance. Some of the Pioneers look quite nice.

I'm using a SC-07 but have been following the SC-55/57 Thread very closely because of the upgrade itch.
I love the room calibration (MCACC) in my SC-07 but have been looking at Denon and Integra because of Audyssey's two Subwoofer calibration feature.

Quote:

When speaking of the cabinets I should add rigidity to the mix. Keeping all vibrations under control except for the output of the BMRs is my uneducated guess.

Yes, very important! I don't purchase any speaker without these qualities.
It cracks me up every time I frequent a Best Buy and do the knuckle rap test on some of these loudspeaker models.

I'm taking some photos of my system and will Post shortly.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #226 of 1936 Old 11-20-2011, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As one can see. I still have my front three speakers attached to my 42" Plasma tv. Is it the best place? No, but it sure beats taking up valuable floor space or having to attach them to the walls, etc. I really can't complain about the sound even though the L&R speaker are closer together than what's normal.
LL
LL
LL

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #227 of 1936 Old 11-20-2011, 05:55 PM

Liked: 10
[quote=Perpendicular;21227390]Personally, I don't feel compromised at all

Thanks, that's good feedback. Tipped the balance to the minx (was going to get a bigger paradigm 5.1 system).

I was going to pair it with the Denon 1312 (base model) as that will still have sufficient power, but note most people are using better receivers.
Will the 1312 do the minx 215 justice? (I don't need added functionality just care about sound - although Audyssey might be handy for better sound)
post #228 of 1936 Old 11-20-2011, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy782 View Post

I was going to pair it with the Denon 1312 (base model) as that will still have sufficient power, but note most people are using better receivers.
Will the 1312 do the minx 215 justice? (I don't need added functionality just care about sound - although Audyssey might be handy for better sound)

If you care about sound, the minimum you should get is the 2312, and the bare minimum, 2112. Personally, I wouldn't do anything cheaper than a 3312. Also, you definitely want to have some form of room correction with any speaker system.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #229 of 1936 Old 11-21-2011, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This morning, I spent more time listening to the Min 10 & 20. I've come to the conclusion that they're both the same speaker (no surprise there). The Min 20 is a fuller & louder speaker but with a Subwoofer engaged, it's flat out hard to tell the difference. If someone wants the speaker that has the ability to play louder, it's definitely the Min 20. I have just over 12 hours of play on the new speakers. If the Min 20 improves from where it's at now, which I doubt will make much of a difference in my listening tests, I'll be sure to let everyone know. Bottom line for me, I don't feel that I needed to add the Min 20 in my small room but time may change my position.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #230 of 1936 Old 11-21-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:

If you care about sound, the minimum you should get is the 2312, and the bare minimum, 2112. Personally, I wouldn't do anything cheaper than a 3312. Also, you definitely want to have some form of room correction with any speaker system.

I know it's a Minx thread, but would you be interested to know what would make you go for a 3312 instead of 2312
post #231 of 1936 Old 11-21-2011, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPCorriveau View Post

I know it's a Minx thread, but would you be interested to know what would make you go for a 3312 instead of 2312

Power reserves and, if I'm not mistaken, better Room Correction.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #232 of 1936 Old 11-21-2011, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

LPCorriveau,

I would look for some professional reviews (specifically with measurements that explain them) on the AVRs that you are interested in. This should help you make an informed decision. The Minx speakers are not that efficient to begin with (85 & 87 - though, I've seen tests that show much lower), so you want to make sure there's enough power to drive them to decent levels. Especially, with movies.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #233 of 1936 Old 11-21-2011, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This morning, I spent more time listening to the Min 10 & 20. I've come to the conclusion that they're both the same speaker (no surprise there). The Min 20 is a fuller & louder speaker but with a Subwoofer engaged, it's flat out hard to tell the difference. If someone wants the speaker that has the ability to play louder, it's definitely the Min 20. I have just over 12 hours of play on the new speakers. If the Min 20 improves from where it's at now, which I doubt will make much of a difference in my listening tests, I'll be sure to let everyone know. Bottom line for me, I don't feel that I needed to add the Min 20 in my small room but time may change my position.

I wouldn't be surprised if, based on your own prior experience, you might not appreciate the Min 20 until after 25-30 hours,

You have the Sunfire Sub, if I recall correctly. The Min 20's lower end might be a different story when mated to the Cambridge Audio subs that are part of their surround package.
post #234 of 1936 Old 11-21-2011, 02:26 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if, based on your own prior experience, you might not appreciate the Min 20 until after 25-30 hours,

You have the Sunfire Sub, if I recall correctly. The Min 20's lower end might be a different story when mated to the Cambridge Audio subs that are part of their surround package.

If i'm not mistaken perpendicular currently uses to mirage subs.
post #235 of 1936 Old 11-21-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:

LPCorriveau,

I would look for some professional reviews (specifically with measurements that explain them) on the AVRs that you are interested in. This should help you make an informed decision. The Minx speakers are not that efficient to begin with (85 & 87 - though, I've seen tests that show much lower), so you want to make sure there's enough power to drive them to decent levels. Especially, with movies.

Easier said than done... Can't find and review on either one. Only advertisement
post #236 of 1936 Old 11-21-2011, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by markiedee View Post

If i'm not mistaken perpendicular currently uses to mirage subs.

Correct; he retired the Sunfire. It was giving him problems.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #237 of 1936 Old 11-21-2011, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Correct; he retired the Sunfire. It was giving him problems.

Ah.

Anyway, my point is that one sonic advantage of the Min 20s over the 10s is that I'd imagine they would have greater output in the lower midrange to bass (more combined radiating area)...something that might show to greater advantage when coupled with Cambridge Audio's subwoofers. The Sunfire's (and probably the Mirage's) more robust output might compensate for the lower output of the 10s.

It'll be interesting to see what Perpendicular's reaction will be when the 20 is fully broken in.
post #238 of 1936 Old 11-22-2011, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, no more Sunfire Sub. It's been retired. As markiedee has stated, I use two Mirage MM-8 Subs. I feel they are better in the upper end than the X200 & X300 (not sure about the X500 but I'll assume all three have that upper frequency limitation). The upper -3 db point on the X200 is 116 hz. Then, it seems to drop considerably. I have my system crossed over at 200 hz. I've listened to them at 150 and there isn't a difference. The Mirage -3db point is somewhere up in the 200 hz range. I can't seem to remember exactly but I will find the info again soon. The Mirage Subs are very capable. Yes, I do need to let the Min 20 break in but as I Posted previously, I doubt that it will matter with the crossover set at 150-200 hz. If I wasn't using Room Correction and a higher crossover point, it would be a different story.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #239 of 1936 Old 11-22-2011, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Easier said than done... Can't find and review on either one. Only advertisement

I have a review from Home Theater magazine of the Denon 2112, right here in my hands. It's from the same reviewer that reviewed the Minx S215 system. I'm not sure if it's on their Website yet. The reviewer gave it a pretty good rating. I will try to find some other reviews when/if time permits. If I do, I will PM you.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #240 of 1936 Old 11-22-2011, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Alright, all you need to do is go to any search engine and type in the Denon model you want followed by the word 'review' and something will come up.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , Subwoofers , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page