Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 82 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 43Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2015, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,825
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McIntosh View Post
Just making the comment that I would expect the Stealths to sound better since they cost so much more - more than I'm willing to spend. I'm still in upgrade mode, but want to stay with the small footprint of the sub/satellite system. Trying to convince myself the 22's are that much better than the 20's - I was expecting you to sell me a little bit!!
There are changes between all models. To me, the Min 22 have the most effect on sound quality between all three models and are definitely worth the upgrade for movies, tv and music listening.

Yes, the Stealth speakers do sound much better in many key areas. I just couldn't use the in the back of the room because of space issues. I feel, using a different speaker is a compromise and wasn't totally happy with using the Min 21 but because the Min 22 is a step up in sound quality, they seem to blend better. Either that or it's a placebo effect.

By the way, I've got my eye on the Stealth 8's.
Perpendicular is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-29-2015, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
taichi4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Boy. Your back and forth on the Minxes almost smacks of dipolar behavior.

The Sound and Vision review on the Stealth 8s was very positive, except for transparency.

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...speaker-system
taichi4 is offline  
Old 08-29-2015, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,825
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
Boy. Your back and forth on the Minxes almost smacks of dipolar behavior.

The Sound and Vision review on the Stealth 8s was very positive, except for transparency.

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...speaker-system

I had planned to sell the Stealth because I was quite happy with the Min 22 sound quality. I thought about it for a while but I just did not want to lose half or even more of what I paid for the active speakers. Bottom line, do they sit there collecting dust? Or, do I make use of them?

I do not have a problem with my current Stealth 6 with transparency. They are not a Magnepan but the dispersion and dynamics are better. Also, if I had to choose between a Minx system and a bookshelf or larger speaker system, I'm quite sure you know what I'd choose. The whole thing started with the Minx for a couple of reasons and one of them was the size of my living space.
Perpendicular is offline  
Old 08-29-2015, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
taichi4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Well, there are some things the Minx system can do which the Stealths cannot. You can create an enveloping soundfield with Atmos or Auro 3-D, with easy ceiling placement of the lightweight Minxes.

You can also come up with enhanced multiple speaker arrays for even conventional 5.1 or 7.1.

And you started your recent Socratic discussion with how much you liked to listen to the Minxes, that you kept coming back to them after everything else.
taichi4 is offline  
Old 08-29-2015, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,825
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
Well, there are some things the Minx system can do which the Stealths cannot. You can create an enveloping soundfield with Atmos or Auro 3-D, with easy ceiling placement of the lightweight Minxes.

You can also come up with enhanced multiple speaker arrays for even conventional 5.1 or 7.1.

And you started your recent Socratic discussion with how much you liked to listen to the Minxes, that you kept coming back to them after everything else.

Oh, well! You can't win them all but I can win better dynamics, smoother more forgiving sound, larger more realistic soundstage and better scale. Not to mention, active speakers with built-in equalization have many positive benefits over passive designs. Many industry experts are predicting a day when most loudspeakers with be self-powered.
Perpendicular is offline  
Old 08-29-2015, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,825
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
And you started your recent Socratic discussion with how much you liked to listen to the Minxes, that you kept coming back to them after everything else.

The difference too is that with the Minx system, I was using room correction but not with the Stealth Monitors. Now, I have both Stealth Monitors and Min 22 pair using RC and the sound is very much improved in every area.
Perpendicular is offline  
Old 08-29-2015, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,825
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
Well, there are some things the Minx system can do which the Stealths cannot. You can create an enveloping soundfield with Atmos or Auro 3-D, with easy ceiling placement of the lightweight Minxes.

Who is to say that the Minx speakers still can't be used in the same setup with your main 3, 5 or 7 existing speakers?
Perpendicular is offline  
Old 08-30-2015, 11:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Mark McIntosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Because the speaker attachment flange on my stand's is wider than the gap between the posts I had to mount my front left and right upside down, which isn't a problem with the 20's. Would this be a problem with the 22's?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	915298  
Mark McIntosh is offline  
Old 08-30-2015, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,825
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McIntosh View Post
Because the speaker attachment flange on my stand's is wider than the gap between the posts I had to mount my front left and right upside down, which isn't a problem with the 20's. Would this be a problem with the 22's?

Shouldn't be. It uses the same cabinet and the orientation of the drivers shouldn't matter.
Perpendicular is offline  
Old 08-31-2015, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,825
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
The Sound and Vision review on the Stealth 8s was very positive, except for transparency.

Hmmm. I wonder who stated this excerpt from a well respected magazine?

Quote:
The Emotiva's extraordinary resolution of detail made it a good match for well-recorded classical music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
And you started your recent Socratic discussion with how much you liked to listen to the Minxes, that you kept coming back to them after everything else.

Must have been the room correction with one set of speakers and a lack thereof on the other setup. After finishing setting up my front three Stealth Monitors along with the Mirage MM-8 pair and using the Min 22 as side surround speakers, I have to say I really love what I'm hearing. Still working on the messy looking cabling leading to the L&R speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1441062859103.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	917730  

Last edited by Perpendicular; 08-31-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Perpendicular is offline  
Old 08-31-2015, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 2,114
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post
...
Must have been the room correction with one set of speakers and a lack thereof on the other setup. After finishing setting up my front three Stealth Monitors along with the Mirage MM-8 pair and using the Min 22 as side surround speakers, I have to say I really love what I'm hearing. Still working on the messy looking cabling leading to the L&R speakers. ..
Jeff,

Is it possible for the center speaker tweeter be rotated 90 deg? I would think the dispersion pattern of the folded ribbon tweeter is a bit different with the center channel lying on it's side, compared to being upright and vertical.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4) & 10x10HD, Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
steveting99 is offline  
Old 09-01-2015, 06:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Mark McIntosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So to be fair to myself in my upgrade mode, I'm considering going to some slightly larger speakers with a tweeter for my front left and right, possibly Bowers & Wilkins 685 S2. There aren't any decent brick and mortar places to listen to speakers in my area, so listened to these at a Best Buy Magnolia. Certainly open to suggestions for other speakers, but my question is how would these or any other slightly larger bookshelf speakers blend with the Minx as the center and surround? If I go this route would I need to get a different center? I love having that small center speaker and I have not given up on going to the Minx 22's, just want to listen to some other options to avoid buyer's remorse. Plus the search is half the fun!!
Mark McIntosh is offline  
Old 09-01-2015, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,825
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Jeff,

Is it possible for the center speaker tweeter be rotated 90 deg? I would think the dispersion pattern of the folded ribbon tweeter is a bit different with the center channel lying on it's side, compared to being upright and vertical.

Because of the height of the monitor, I need to lay it on the side. I talked to Emotiva regarding this and it's also in the manual. We sit in a very small area. Plus, I sit in the sweet spot almost all the time. So, it wouldn't pose a problem unless I sat very far off to one side which is almost impossible in my room.
Perpendicular is offline  
Old 09-01-2015, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,825
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McIntosh View Post
So to be fair to myself in my upgrade mode, I'm considering going to some slightly larger speakers with a tweeter for my front left and right, possibly Bowers & Wilkins 685 S2. There aren't any decent brick and mortar places to listen to speakers in my area, so listened to these at a Best Buy Magnolia. Certainly open to suggestions for other speakers, but my question is how would these or any other slightly larger bookshelf speakers blend with the Minx as the center and surround? If I go this route would I need to get a different center? I love having that small center speaker and I have not given up on going to the Minx 22's, just want to listen to some other options to avoid buyer's remorse. Plus the search is half the fun!!

I'd recommend the Martin-Logan Motion or ElectroMotion series. That's what I'd be looking at if I didn't have the active speakers I have now.
Perpendicular is offline  
Old 09-01-2015, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tractng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I have a pair of black Minx 11 in excellent condition for sale. Asking $110 shipped in the US excluding Hawaii/Alaska. PM or email toanntrac@yahoo.com
tractng is offline  
Old 09-01-2015, 02:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Mark McIntosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Perpendicular - sent you a PM.
Mark McIntosh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , Subwoofers , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off