Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 82 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 43Likes

post #2431 of 2439 Old 08-28-2015, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McIntosh View Post
Just making the comment that I would expect the Stealths to sound better since they cost so much more - more than I'm willing to spend. I'm still in upgrade mode, but want to stay with the small footprint of the sub/satellite system. Trying to convince myself the 22's are that much better than the 20's - I was expecting you to sell me a little bit!!
There are changes between all models. To me, the Min 22 have the most effect on sound quality between all three models and are definitely worth the upgrade for movies, tv and music listening.

Yes, the Stealth speakers do sound much better in many key areas. I just couldn't use the in the back of the room because of space issues. I feel, using a different speaker is a compromise and wasn't totally happy with using the Min 21 but because the Min 22 is a step up in sound quality, they seem to blend better. Either that or it's a placebo effect.

By the way, I've got my eye on the Stealth 8's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 2439 Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Boy. Your back and forth on the Minxes almost smacks of dipolar behavior.

The Sound and Vision review on the Stealth 8s was very positive, except for transparency.

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...speaker-system
post #2433 of 2439 Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
Boy. Your back and forth on the Minxes almost smacks of dipolar behavior.

The Sound and Vision review on the Stealth 8s was very positive, except for transparency.

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...speaker-system

I had planned to sell the Stealth because I was quite happy with the Min 22 sound quality. I thought about it for a while but I just did not want to lose half or even more of what I paid for the active speakers. Bottom line, do they sit there collecting dust? Or, do I make use of them?

I do not have a problem with my current Stealth 6 with transparency. They are not a Magnepan but the dispersion and dynamics are better. Also, if I had to choose between a Minx system and a bookshelf or larger speaker system, I'm quite sure you know what I'd choose. The whole thing started with the Minx for a couple of reasons and one of them was the size of my living space.
post #2434 of 2439 Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Well, there are some things the Minx system can do which the Stealths cannot. You can create an enveloping soundfield with Atmos or Auro 3-D, with easy ceiling placement of the lightweight Minxes.

You can also come up with enhanced multiple speaker arrays for even conventional 5.1 or 7.1.

And you started your recent Socratic discussion with how much you liked to listen to the Minxes, that you kept coming back to them after everything else.
post #2435 of 2439 Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, there are some things the Minx system can do which the Stealths cannot. You can create an enveloping soundfield with Atmos or Auro 3-D, with easy ceiling placement of the lightweight Minxes.

You can also come up with enhanced multiple speaker arrays for even conventional 5.1 or 7.1.

And you started your recent Socratic discussion with how much you liked to listen to the Minxes, that you kept coming back to them after everything else.

Oh, well! You can't win them all but I can win better dynamics, smoother more forgiving sound, larger more realistic soundstage and better scale. Not to mention, active speakers with built-in equalization have many positive benefits over passive designs. Many industry experts are predicting a day when most loudspeakers with be self-powered.
post #2436 of 2439 Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The difference too is that with the Minx system, I was using room correction but not with the Stealth Monitors. Now, I have both Stealth Monitors and Min 22 pair using RC and the sound is very much improved in every area.
post #2437 of 2439 Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Who is to say that the Minx speakers still can't be used in the same setup with your main 3, 5 or 7 existing speakers?
post #2438 of 2439 Old Today, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Because the speaker attachment flange on my stand's is wider than the gap between the posts I had to mount my front left and right upside down, which isn't a problem with the 20's. Would this be a problem with the 22's?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	915298  
post #2439 of 2439 Old Today, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McIntosh View Post
Because the speaker attachment flange on my stand's is wider than the gap between the posts I had to mount my front left and right upside down, which isn't a problem with the 20's. Would this be a problem with the 22's?

Shouldn't be. It uses the same cabinet and the orientation of the drivers shouldn't matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , Subwoofers , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each