Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 88 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 53Likes

Old 10-25-2016, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Velcro should work fine. I used it multiple times in the past. I'm sure there's a photo somewhere I Posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2016, 02:28 AM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post
Velcro should work fine. I used it multiple times in the past. I'm sure there's a photo somewhere I Posted.
Hi guys,

it has been a long time.

i would like to ask your opinion in case i am wrong...

so this summer i did a small renovation in my room and i managed to run some audio cables in the ceiling (concrete) for two front atmos speakers.

my 7.1 setup is as follows...

Fronts : B&W 603S2
Center : B&W LCR600
Rears : B&W LM1
Back : Cambridge audio minx 22 (ceiling mounted)
sub : SVS PB-1000
AVR : Onkyo 709

i want to go towards atmos - dts:x format slowly but i am trying to decide if i should buy the minx 22 or minx 12.??????
i used to have minx 11 for my backs and even though they were nice and i liked them..... they were not for me... with the Minx 22 i got more db and a fuller sound than i had with the 11s.

i am aiming to get a denon x4200 (if i ever get the money) as an AVR as it seems the best choice for me.

my rear speakers are almost ceiling height. my room is 2m tall, so my rear speakers, my back speakers and my atmos speakers will be at the same height. yes i know it is a weird configuration but
you have to do what you can with the space you have. at the moment i have no problem with my setup.

minx is my choice because i want them to match my back speakers and they have the perfect size for my room since i can walk right beneath them with no problem.
so the question is.... should i go minx 12 or 22? i don't want to regret my choice.

by the way? is anyone selling his minx 22? in white?

thanks
Ted
Old 11-07-2016, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

At one time, I had both the 12 & 22. My vote is for the Min 22.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post
At one time, I had both the 12 & 22. My vote is for the Min 22.
damn, i was hoping you would say "No Ted, save your money. Minx 12 is the best solution for you. Your mind is playing tricks with your pocket"

Old 11-08-2016, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeDeV View Post

so this summer i did a small renovation in my room and i managed to run some audio cables in the ceiling (concrete) for two front atmos speakers.

my 7.1 setup is as follows...

Fronts : B&W 603S2
Center : B&W LCR600
Rears : B&W LM1
Back : Cambridge audio minx 22 (ceiling mounted)
sub : SVS PB-1000
AVR : Onkyo 709

i want to go towards atmos - dts:x format slowly but i am trying to decide if i should buy the minx 22 or minx 12.??????
i used to have minx 11 for my backs and even though they were nice and i liked them..... they were not for me... with the Minx 22 i got more db and a fuller sound than i had with the 11s.

i am aiming to get a denon x4200 (if i ever get the money) as an AVR as it seems the best choice for me.

my rear speakers are almost ceiling height. my room is 2m tall, so my rear speakers, my back speakers and my atmos speakers will be at the same height. yes i know it is a weird configuration but
you have to do what you can with the space you have. at the moment i have no problem with my setup.

minx is my choice because i want them to match my back speakers and they have the perfect size for my room since i can walk right beneath them with no problem.
so the question is.... should i go minx 12 or 22? i don't want to regret my choice.

by the way? is anyone selling his minx 22? in white?

thanks
Ted
Hi TeDeV,

For Atmos and DTS:X to work properly, there must be some physical separation between the ear level speakers and the height speakers. Believe the recommendation from Dolby is around 30 deg. minimum.

If you have the surround backs (meant to be the ear level speakers) elevated to the ceiling, the surround bubble may get squished when object panning happens from back to height back.

If you're unable to relocate the surround backs to just above ear height at the seating position (1'to 2' should be okay), might want to consider the 7.1.2 rather than the full 7.1.4 speaker layout. It might also save you costs for an external amp needed for the 7.1.4 speaker layout.

I agree with Perpendicular that the Min22 would be better for the Atmos ceiling speakers.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Hi TeDeV,

For Atmos and DTS:X to work properly, there must be some physical separation between the ear level speakers and the height speakers. Believe the recommendation from Dolby is around 30 deg. minimum.

If you have the surround backs (meant to be the ear level speakers) elevated to the ceiling, the surround bubble may get squished when object panning happens from back to height back.

If you're unable to relocate the surround backs to just above ear height at the seating position (1'to 2' should be okay), might want to consider the 7.1.2 rather than the full 7.1.4 speaker layout. It might also save you costs for an external amp needed for the 7.1.4 speaker layout.

I agree with Perpendicular that the Min22 would be better for the Atmos ceiling speakers.
7.1.2 is the best i can do and this is what i am planning for. i thought i said that but i didn't

you are correct that the way my space is it can't support 4 atmos speakers in any way. not even a 5.1.4.

7.1.2 is the way i am planning to go. i just hope that atmos will justify the expenses.
i know the difference i heard from 5.1 to 7.1 and i don't want to go back. hopefully it will be even better with 7.1.2

i am planning to replace my avr with a Denon X4200W since it looks like it is one of the best choices at the moment. the only problem is that it will require another receiver to drive those two speakers which means even more expenses.

i tried my best to calculate where i should place my atmos speakers in my room. i read dolby's site and their "ridiculous" small angle for just 2 front atmos speakers. i decided to move them a little further towars the screen since they were really close to my surround rear speakers. and when i said move them.... i mean i was sitting on my couch while a friend was holding one of my surround backs minx 22 on the ceiling and i was trying to guess the disperse of sound that the speaker would do. thankfully minx have a high dispersion so maybe they will be forgiving.

i guess i am the only one in here that has mounted minxs on concrete ceiling and especially of that height
Old 11-09-2016, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
7.1.2 is the best i can do and this is what i am planning for. i thought i said that but i didn't

you are correct that the way my space is it can't support 4 atmos speakers in any way. not even a 5.1.4.

7.1.2 is the way i am planning to go. i just hope that atmos will justify the expenses.
i know the difference i heard from 5.1 to 7.1 and i don't want to go back. hopefully it will be even better with 7.1.2...
For the Atmos ceiling speakers, try the Top Front Height or Top Middle designations. With Top Front Height, one can utilize the Auro 3D format, if one want to go down that path.

Quote:
...i am planning to replace my avr with a Denon X4200W since it looks like it is one of the best choices at the moment. the only problem is that it will require another receiver to drive those two speakers which means even more expenses.

i tried my best to calculate where i should place my atmos speakers in my room. i read dolby's site and their "ridiculous" small angle for just 2 front atmos speakers. i decided to move them a little further towars the screen since they were really close to my surround rear speakers. and when i said move them.... i mean i was sitting on my couch while a friend was holding one of my surround backs minx 22 on the ceiling and i was trying to guess the disperse of sound that the speaker would do. thankfully minx have a high dispersion so maybe they will be forgiving.

i guess i am the only one in here that has mounted minxs on concrete ceiling and especially of that height
If you get the Denon X4200W, it has only 7 internal amps and there's the additional cost of an external 2-channel amp needed to go to 7.1.2. There are 9-channel amp receivers on the market now, including some from 2015 that are on sale due to the introduction of replacement models. Might look into these if the budget can stretch for it.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
For the Atmos ceiling speakers, try the Top Front Height or Top Middle designations. With Top Front Height, one can utilize the Auro 3D format, if one want to go down that path.

If you get the Denon X4200W, it has only 7 internal amps and there's the additional cost of an external 2-channel amp needed to go to 7.1.2. There are 9-channel amp receivers on the market now, including some from 2015 that are on sale due to the introduction of replacement models. Might look into these if the budget can stretch for it.
hey steve thank you for your answer.

i would like to have a receiver with HDMI 2.2, 4K, Audyssey XT32, ATMOS and DTS:X, (auro3D i believe is something i can't use in my space due to position limitations).
i want it to have preouts and be 7.2.2.

i can't change the location of my atmos speakers since the audio cables are placed in the concrete. so they will be there for life

i have placed the atmos cables at the same line as my surround backs. so basically there is a circle around my couch with the atmos, SR, SB speakers. they are not in line with my fronts which are at the same line with my surround rears.

basically i tried to follow dolby's instructions and to tell you the truth i didn't like them. those instructions consider a perfect space where every speaker is where it "should" be. but in a home this is not always possible. so i placed the atmos cables where i thought it would benefit the sound more around my couch. and i trust minx's dispersion to correct any angle mistakes. it will be an interesting project that i hope it will not betray me as a result.

do you guys have any recommendations for a small external amp? i would like to avoid any massive hardware. i am not even sure if i can use an old avr that i have. never done that
Old 11-09-2016, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
do you guys have any recommendations for a small external amp? i would like to avoid any massive hardware. i am not even sure if i can use an old avr that i have. never done that
There's been positive feedback on the Audiosource AMP-100 two channel external amp. If want to use the 12V trigger on the X4200W to turn ON/OFF the external amp, the next model up (AMP-102) is the right choice.

You can certainly re-purpose an older AVR to power the Min22 for the Atmos ceiling speakers. The X4200W has analogue pre-outs so it'll be dependent on the analogue inputs of the older AVR. Just about every AVR have at least CD analogue inputs so there's at least two amp channels that can be used. Just remember to reset the older AVR to default factory status, disable all processing and set the Main Volume (MV) to 0dB.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:07 AM

Quote:
There's been positive feedback on the Audiosource AMP-100 two channel external amp. If want to use the 12V trigger on the X4200W to turn ON/OFF the external amp, the next model up (AMP-102) is the right choice.

You can certainly re-purpose an older AVR to power the Min22 for the Atmos ceiling speakers. The X4200W has analogue pre-outs so it'll be dependent on the analogue inputs of the older AVR. Just about every AVR have at least CD analogue inputs so there's at least two amp channels that can be used. Just remember to reset the older AVR to default factory status, disable all processing and set the Main Volume (MV) to 0dB.
steve i really appreciate your help man. one last question.

can i use the old receiver to drive my B&W fronts which require more watts through preouts and connect all the surrounds/atmos speakers on Denon?
i guess that would be a better use case scenario.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
steve i really appreciate your help man. one last question.

can i use the old receiver to drive my B&W fronts which require more watts through preouts and connect all the surrounds/atmos speakers on Denon?
i guess that would be a better use case scenario.
The X4200W has sufficient pre-outs on the back of the receiver for what you want to do (i.e. power the front left and right). So it'll be a matter of configuring the AMP ASSIGN on the X4200W to allow for this.

Head on over to the 2015 Denon thread where Denon gurus jdsmoothie and batpig hand out. You can let them know you're wanting to setup up a 7.1.2 Atmos configuration and would like to power the front left/right via an external AVR, what is the right setting to do this?

Edit: Does your old AVR have analogue inputs for 7.1 channels? If so, it should be possible to drive the front left/right as well as the Min22 Atmos ceiling speakers using the amp section of the old AVR via the pre-outs of the X4200W.

Last edited by steveting99; 11-10-2016 at 06:07 PM. Reason: additional text and link
Old 11-11-2016, 12:58 AM

Quote:
The X4200W has sufficient pre-outs on the back of the receiver for what you want to do (i.e. power the front left and right). So it'll be a matter of configuring the AMP ASSIGN on the X4200W to allow for this.

Head on over to the 2015 Denon thread where Denon gurus jdsmoothie and batpig hand out. You can let them know you're wanting to setup up a 7.1.2 Atmos configuration and would like to power the front left/right via an external AVR, what is the right setting to do this?

Edit: Does your old AVR have analogue inputs for 7.1 channels? If so, it should be possible to drive the front left/right as well as the Min22 Atmos ceiling speakers using the amp section of the old AVR via the pre-outs of the X4200W.
i am planning to sell my Onkyo to cover some of the expenses for the Denon. but i have an old Yamaha (10 years old?) which i might be able to use for them.
now that i think of it.... you are right that the avr should be able to have analogue inputs. i am not even sure that my onkyo 709 has analogue inputs...... weird. i will try to google search it
Old 11-11-2016, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Steve is da man!!!
Old Today, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So, I've been playing around with the Min12s and was having some localization issues after set-up. I've tried building some baffles with foam and cardboard to "focus' the sound to the ceiling (as they are set-up as upward firing Atmos speakers currently in a 5.1.2 config). I was hoping that this would be sufficient but I have to say it looks ugly (although it was just a proof of concept) and I'm wondering if I would get better results if I placed them up at the sides as Top Middles. my concern is that running wire will be a PITA as one side is an outside wall, although I do have a fish.
For those of you who hve heard both set-ups in Atmos, is running TM vice upward firing that much better?
Also, Perpendicular, I managed to get a 55"LG B6P for $700 off during the Black Friday sales,so I got my OLED after all. It'll be here shortly after Christmas! Yay!
Perpendicular likes this.
Old Today, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolPool View Post
So, I've been playing around with the Min12s and was having some localization issues after set-up. I've tried building some baffles with foam and cardboard to "focus' the sound to the ceiling (as they are set-up as upward firing Atmos speakers currently in a 5.1.2 config). I was hoping that this would be sufficient but I have to say it looks ugly (although it was just a proof of concept) and I'm wondering if I would get better results if I placed them up at the sides as Top Middles. my concern is that running wire will be a PITA as one side is an outside wall, although I do have a fish.
For those of you who hve heard both set-ups in Atmos, is running TM vice upward firing that much better?
I would not recommend the Minx as upfiring speakers for Dolby Atmos. The have very wide dispersion and you need a narrow dispersion with Atmos. Only use the Minx as ceiling speakers.

Congratulations on your new OLED!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , cambridge audio minx min 21 , cambridge audio minx min 22 , Subwoofers