Cambridge Audio Minx Satellite Speakers and Home Theater Systems Discussion Thread - Page 89 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 53Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2641 of 2651 Old 02-12-2017, 02:40 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone I'm about ready to buy a whole new system which will be a step-up from my old Panasonic blu ray out of the box 5.1.
I am looking at adding a pair of Cambridge Audio Minx 22 for Atmos/Dtsx but am not sure where to place them so would be grateful for some help.
Mounting on the ceiling is a no go so that leaves me with three options.
1. Front height above fronts near ceiling angled down.
2. Height side
3. Rear height angled down.

With the side and rear the speaker wouldn't be to far from being overhead as my sofa is at the back of the room and the sides would have to be at the end of my curtain pole which would place the speakers in direct line with the mlp but just out to the side.
I'm looking at getting the Denon 2300 and the Dali Zensor Pico.
Can provide some pictures of my room if that would help.
Hope someone can give me some advice as I want to get all the info before I but which hopefully will be soon.

Thanks for any help
Mrtea_32 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2642 of 2651 Old 02-12-2017, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 3,303
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtea_32 View Post
..Can provide some pictures of my room if that would help.
Hope someone can give me some advice as I want to get all the info before I but which hopefully will be soon.

Thanks for any help
A sketch showing the layout of your listening room, with the ear level floor speakers, Main Listening Position (MLP) and relative distance to each ear level floor speakers would be useful.

The key is having angular separation between the ear level speakers and ceiling speakers.

Also ensure that there is angular separation with the ear level floor speakers.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
steveting99 is online now  
post #2643 of 2651 Old 02-12-2017, 07:16 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
A sketch showing the layout of your listening room, with the ear level floor speakers, Main Listening Position (MLP) and relative distance to each ear level floor speakers would be useful.

The key is having angular separation between the ear level speakers and ceiling speakers.

Also ensure that there is angular separation with the ear level floor speakers.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0037.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	1961345
Sorry for rubbish sketch but option A Front heights will be about 2 ft above front speakers, mlp is about 10ft from them.
Option B side heights level with mlp and around 2ft above rears.
Option c rear heights around 2 ft above rears.
Hope this helps
Mrtea_32 is offline  
 
post #2644 of 2651 Old 02-12-2017, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 3,303
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtea_32 View Post
Attachment 1961345
Sorry for rubbish sketch but option A Front heights will be about 2 ft above front speakers, mlp is about 10ft from them.
Option B side heights level with mlp and around 2ft above rears.
Option c rear heights around 2 ft above rears.
Hope this helps
Hi Mrtea_32,

If no one has said so, welcome to AVS!

Thanks for the sketch, it does help a bit to understand your room and current setup. Not a bad first time effort!

Any possibility of re-positioning the speakers and/or Main Listening Position (MLP)? The reason being that with the MLP hard up against the wall, the bass frequencies will be at their peak so there will be a lot of inconsistency in terms of the lower octaves. I.e. there will be a lot of variability from seat to seat.

If the listening room's front to back distance is 10', might want to consider pulling forward the MLP by 1/3. Is this possible? If so, it will help improve the sound experience by doing a number of things. Including better angular separation between the MLP to the FL/FR speakers as well as the surrounds. You might be able to achieve the golden ratio of an equilateral triangle between the MLP to the FL/FR. What angular separation do you have now with the MLP 10' behind the FL/FR speakers? Is the center (C) speaker at 0 deg to the MLP? The other benefit of moving up the MLP is minimize the effects of room modes.

With the MLP also pulled forward, the Surround Left (SL) and Surround Right (SR) are now behind the listener. Ideally the the SL/SR should be 110 to 120 deg to the MLP. This is much better than the current position of having them at 90 deg to the MLP, as the intent is to have a ring of speakers surrounding the MLP rather than leaving a 'gap' behind you.

Also with the MLP pulled forward, you can place the front heights above the FL/FR speakers and check that the angular separation to the MLP is at least 30 deg. The same for the rear height speakers, check that it is at least 30 deg up from the MLP. Picture below will help visualize the front height and rear height angles.


What is the current ear height of the FL/FR tweeters? I.e. floor to tweeter height? If the intent is to place the front height speakers 2' above the FL/FR, how high with the Min22 be above the floor? With this, one can determine the angular separation of the front height to the MLP.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
steveting99 is online now  
post #2645 of 2651 Old Yesterday, 11:46 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi thanks for the welcome.
My new speakers will be 1.4 metres from the floor and the Minx would be another one metre above them angled down with about 40 degree Angle and wall mounted, Would that be OK to work for Atmos/ Dtsx?
Rears would be 1.4 of the ground and again wall mounted.
No chance of changing the mlp or moving the room, trust me I've tried that argument multiple times.
Hope this helps explain my situation and thanks for the help
Mrtea_32 is offline  
post #2646 of 2651 Old Today, 01:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 3,303
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtea_32 View Post
Hi thanks for the welcome.
My new speakers will be 1.4 metres from the floor and the Minx would be another one metre above them angled down with about 40 degree Angle and wall mounted, Would that be OK to work for Atmos/ Dtsx?
Rears would be 1.4 of the ground and again wall mounted.
No chance of changing the mlp or moving the room, trust me I've tried that argument multiple times.
Hope this helps explain my situation and thanks for the help
Hi Mrtea_32,

If you're unable to move the MLP, the front heights are going to be a problem as the minimum angular separation of 30 deg between the ear level and height speakers is 4.4m, since the MLP is 10m from the FL/FR speakers. Not sure how tall your floor to ceiling height is, but it's highly unlikely you have such clearance. The front sound stage will be compressed (like a stacked pancake) rather than spherical (think like a ball).

The rear heights should be okay and depends how far behind they will be from the MLP?

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
steveting99 is online now  
post #2647 of 2651 Old Today, 04:04 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
OK thanks definitely sounds like front height would be a no go.
I would only be able to do 5.1.2 so would rear heights alone work for Atmos.
The rear heights would be 2.3 metres from the floor and rear surrounds 1.4.
Like I mentioned the sofa is up against the back wall so both surround and heights would just be slightly behind the mlp.
Would this work or is is better for me to forget it?
Thanks
Mrtea_32 is offline  
post #2648 of 2651 Old Today, 04:12 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0038.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	1965961 this should give you a better idea. From ground to ceiling it's 2.4 metres.
If I placed them at the side they would be just to the right of the mlp and the other at the side of the door
Mrtea_32 is offline  
post #2649 of 2651 Old Today, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 3,303
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtea_32 View Post
OK thanks definitely sounds like front height would be a no go.
I would only be able to do 5.1.2 so would rear heights alone work for Atmos.
The rear heights would be 2.3 metres from the floor and rear surrounds 1.4.
Like I mentioned the sofa is up against the back wall so both surround and heights would just be slightly behind the mlp.
Would this work or is is better for me to forget it?
Thanks
Just a thought, is the ceiling flat and has a reflective surface? I.e. can bounce sound signals off the ceiling and have it land in front of the MLP?

If so, you can still go with a 5.1.4 setup by using Dolby Atmos enabled speakers to simulate the top front speakers (1st set of ceiling speakers) and still mount the Min22 as the rear heights for the 2nd set of ceiling speakers.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
steveting99 is online now  
post #2650 of 2651 Old Today, 09:06 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Just a thought, is the ceiling flat and has a reflective surface? I.e. can bounce sound signals off the ceiling and have it land in front of the MLP?

If so, you can still go with a 5.1.4 setup by using Dolby Atmos enabled speakers to simulate the top front speakers (1st set of ceiling speakers) and still mount the Min22 as the rear heights for the 2nd set of ceiling speakers.
Yeah the ceiling is nice and flat so would reflect sound well but heard mixed reviews about them. I can only have 1 set of Atmos speakers so 5.1.2 is my limit.
Mrtea_32 is offline  
post #2651 of 2651 Old Today, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 3,303
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtea_32 View Post
Yeah the ceiling is nice and flat so would reflect sound well but heard mixed reviews about them. I can only have 1 set of Atmos speakers so 5.1.2 is my limit.
As you're limited to a 5.1.2 Atmos speaker setup, then you can only have one pair of ceiling speakers.

The Front Heights (FH) are impractical due to the long distance between the MLP and FH speakers. So just install a pair of Min22 above your MLP and designate them as Top Middle (TM) to get your 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

As you intend to install the Min22 on the back wall about 2.3m from the floor and with the surrounds at 1.4m from the floor, that makes a differential between them at 0.9m. The question comes to what angle the TM speakers will be to your seating position (MLP) and that depends on how far from the back wall the MLP is? Based on the 0.9m differential, the maximum distance the MLP from the back wall is 0.15m, to make the angular separation of 100 deg. As you're hard up against the back wall, this shouldn't be an issue. You might also want to angle the Min22 down to the MLP and have it aligned with the FL/FH speakers as shown in the previous diagram.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
steveting99 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Audio , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 Satellite Speaker Black Each , Cambridge Audio Minx Min 11 Speaker , cambridge audio minx min 21 , cambridge audio minx min 22 , Subwoofers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off